Eee Pad Slider debuts in the United States

It’s here at last. Heralded by a promo page on Asus’ website yesterday, the newfangled tablet-with-a-keyboard thingamajig has started sneaking onto Amazon, Newegg, and some other e-tailers. The cheapest variant, which packs 16GB of built-in flash storage, will set you back $479 at Newegg. You can apparently expect to pay $579 for the 32GB model.

The Eee Pad Slider looks rather unique externally, thanks to a sliding design that reveals a physical QWERTY keyboard. On paper, though, the device has much in common with the cheaper and somewhat more conventional Eee Pad Transformer. A 10.1″ display with a 1280×800 resolution conceals a Tegra 2 applications processor, 1GB of DDR2 memory, and Android software (3.2 on the Slider). Battery capacities are almost identical on the two devices: 24.4Wh for the Transformer and 25Wh for the Slider. However, at 2.11 lbs, the Slider is quite a bit heavier than its keyboard-less sibling.

You’ll find a spec sheet and more details on the promo page, which also houses this rather artsy promotional video:

The Eee Pad Slider must have a secret life filling in for Bill Murray—a tough act to follow.

In my view, devices like the Slider are good examples of why proclamations about a post-PC era fall a little flat. Is this a convertible laptop or a tablet? Does the operating system dictate nomenclature? And if so, what do you call Chromebooks? I think Asus, Apple, and others are broadening the definition of what a personal computer is, not making the PC obsolete.

• internetsandman

And how would this compare to the Transformer, in terms of battery life, with the optional keyboard dock attached? I love my Transformer, but I never use the trackpad on the dock and just find it gets in the way at times

• Voldenuit

They should name the 5th core ‘Krypto’, after Superman’s dog :P.

• swaaye

Might as well get a netbook. You’ll get access to the Windows application library instead of lots of middling mostly-phone-oriented Android apps, faster hardware, cheaper, and it’ll be more rugged than this thing’s little plastic arms.

But, ASUS, I’m ready for you to build a 7 inch Tegra 2 tablet with an IPS screen and 8+ hours battery. 🙂

• dpaus

Now that you mention it, I’d love to see Windows 8 (Metro, but with the ability to run ‘real’ Windows) and the next-gen AMD cpu+gpu in this form-factor. I don’t need 10 hours battery life out of that; 6-7 would be plenty, and should be easily doable.

• NeelyCam

Sounds good, but I want to see an Intel chip in it instead, so I could get 10h battery life.

• ronch

The slide-out keyboard should be a godsend for people sick of typing on a touchscreen (like me!!!).

• Dashak

Laptops have had keyboards for quite some time.

• dpaus

I can hardly wait to try this out. Two big concerns/questions I have are: 1) is this thing top-heavy when it’s opened? From that side view, it looks like it will want to fall over backwards if you try to balance it on your lap (as the girl in the video was doing on the subway), and 2) just how easy is it to pinch your fingers in the back of it as you try to close it? I know that would put a lot of people off, especially women.

• kamikaziechameleon

cute girl! oh wait is their a asus slider in there?

• sweatshopking

perv. i think you should get your hormones under control. plus you’re like 100 years old.

• NeelyCam

Tolerance!! Not everyone is as anti-sex as you are.

• axeman

He’s just sexually frustrated.

• flip-mode

Only just looking at the thing makes me want one. I’d be nervous about the thing breaking though. Dunno if that nervousness is justified.

• nico1982

It does look a bit filmsy to be honest.

Yes, on all counts. I want one out of completely irrational thought. I want to put it in my mouth and maybe even in my pants. But it does look kinda flimsy.

• Farting Bob

Its a laptop with a touchscreen, i feel the whole market has no idea what it wants. Tablet wioth no keyboard? Laptop? detachable keyboard? they are basically all the same, adding touchscreen to a laptop doesnt change things much.

• dpaus

Diffrent peepls want diffrent things. Why so serious?

• BobbinThreadbare

The suppliers have no idea what the market wants, people generally know if they want something or not.

• Johnny5

They’ll want what I tell them to want.

• helix

It is called diversification. A product trying to enable an (ever so slightly) different usage pattern. At least here they tried. Something!
      I just hope other OEMs does not take this to mean that they all need to scramble together a similar product in order to grab a minuscule foothold in the new market segment light-computer-running-android-with-touchscreen-sliding-to-the-middle-and-that-has-a-keyboard-but-no-touchpad, henceforth “slidepads”.

• Mourmain

This ad convinced me! I am definitely buying a ticket to Japan!

• Suspenders