Battlefield 3 beta kicks off next week

The full version of Battlefield 3 isn’t due out until October 25, but there’s a way to get an early taste of the game before that. As Rock, Paper, Shotgun reports, EA has set dates for the start of the open multiplayer beta. If you pre-ordered Battlefield 3 on Origin or purchased the Limited Edition of the new Medal of Honor, you’ll apparently get access to the beta on September 27. Everybody else will have to wait a couple more days, until September 29.

According to the Battlefield 3 beta page on EA’s website, the multiplayer beta will be “open to all on all platforms,” including the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. As you might expect, the PC version will require EA’s Origin distribution service to play. Once you get in, the beta will let you hone your skills in one game mode, Rush, and one map, Operation Métro. That map already got a fair amount of publicity and was shown on video earlier this year:

As Rock, Paper, Shotgun points out, EA DICE’s “recommended” specs for the game include a quad-core processor, 4GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6950 graphics card. If those recs sounds steep, keep in mind the game is being designed for the PC first and foremost, with graphical fidelity to match.

• moose17145

i7 – 920
    6GB RAM
    4870 1GB

A bit lacking in the video card department… but whatever, it will work. Will see what the new 28nm GPUs bring before I consider upgrading.

• Hurstmeister

Cant wait to get started.

Hope its not like BC2 where during the beta everything worked fairly well. Then as soon as it went full retail everything broke down. Sometimes I would get in 2 – 3 hours of solid game play. Then unable to play for days at a time. Servers would boot me out on login if I could ever connect at all. The first 3 – 4 months were horrible.

Still love the game. Still play from time to time. Rush is my favorite as well. I’ve been a fan of Battlefield since since Wake Island. Loved fighting over the air planes. I could fly those. I still suck at flying the helicopters in BC2. I dont even bother with them anymore.

• michael_d

As long as there is good SLi/Crossfire support. A pair of Radeon HD 5870 should be sufficient.

• Bensam123

Glad to see this is so PC focused they’re developing it separately from the console version…

“If those recs sounds steep, keep in mind the game is being designed for the PC first and foremost, with graphical fidelity to match.”

Specs aren’t everything. Being designed for the PC first and foremost doesn’t mean just turning up the graphics for the PC version… I’m starting to dread that is what we will be getting though. The game play looks a crapton like CoD.

• Aphasia

It’s not even close to CoD. Take a good look on the Caspian Border gameplay movie when they have more tanks, choppers and planes.

The Alpha, as the Beta will only have Operation Metro, which is a single rush map with only an APC at the first part of the map. But it’s still so far from CoD in size its not even a close call. I’m not dissing CoD for what CoD is, but it sure as heck isnt Battlefield.

• Bensam123

Aye, I was going to say looks a lot like CoD with tanks + planes tacked on.

The infantry combat looks exactly like that from CoD. Putting it in a bigger map doesn’t change the style.

• travbrad

[quote<]Putting it in a bigger map doesn't change the style.[/quote<] Of course it doesn't. They are both FPSs so naturally they are going to be a very similar style. The BF controls have always felt completely different from COD though, and that alone is a huge distinguishing factor. I'm not sure if that's the case on the consoles, but on the PC the 2 series have always felt very different from each other. I think the MUCH bigger maps, vehicles, and higher player counts are pretty huge differences between the 2 games though, even without the different control feeling. I can certainly agree it would be nice to see some different settings for FPS games though. A WWII game would almost feel fresh at this point, there have been so many "modern warfare" games lately.

• paulWTAMU

My PC will run it! I may or may not buy it–I don’t like EA’s DD service. but it’s a kick ass looking game

• Firestarter

My computers is insufficient 🙁

• homerdog

You must have a pretty old computer.

• dashbarron

Uh, you’ve seen the gameplay videos right?

• paulWTAMU

did you read the required/recommended specs? They’re not that steep

• dashbarron

I take minimum and recommended specs with a grain of salt.

• etrigan420

A heavy grain of salt…with some Sodium Chloride thrown in for flavor.

…with a side of NaCl.

• travbrad

I’ve read them but they are somewhat vague, and every company determines what is “playable” differently.

I have a E8400@4ghz so I’m sort of in between a “2.4ghz core 2 duo” and a “quad core”.

“Quad core” in particular is very generic. There’s a massive difference between a first-gen quad core like a Q6400 (2.13ghz) and a 2600K.

• bcronce

In other news, this totally awesome game has been ruined by EA and I will not be purchasing it. Sorry DICE.

Is there a way to donate to DICE w/o giving EA money?

• Arclight

Seems like DICE did a great job with BF3 overall, but i recently heard that EA intends to use Origin as a spyware so what i’m trying to say is that (watch video which describes my feelings towards them):
    [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4MxTUqPXHk[/url<]

• bcronce

Steam’s ToS says Steam is allowed to track applications that are assigned to Steam. Kind of a no-brainer How else would I know which program my brother is playing when he launches from Steam?

Origin’s ToS says it can track ANYTHING IT WANTS in your computer and report back. Regardless of whether it actually does this yet, it’s in the ToS.

• Dashak

Anyone else getting this when trying to watch that video?
      [url<]http://i.imgur.com/9aWVD.png[/url<]

• Arclight

It’s a video from Pure Pwnage, from back in the day when i still watched them, in which Jeremy elequetly expresses how the E and the A from EA sucks his balls.

• Kharnellius

It’s rare a game impresses me graphically anymore. This one looked very nice. 🙂

• kamikaziechameleon

“one game mode, Rush, and one map, Operation Métro.”

ARE YOU FLIPPING KIDDING ME! Rush is not my favorite and its definitely not what BF is known for. It also only supports 32 players. It is pretty apparent they are only putting the beta out as a demo and to keep the promise of a beta that they made. This is not actually a beta where anything we do will effect anything in the retail package(So basically nothing like the gears beta), similar to how the bad company 2 beta didn’t do jack for the fact that the game wasn’t playable for 1 month after launch this will almost certainly lend nothing to the development and hints at another fumbled dice launch. I know the end product (a month or two past launch) will be great but I’m really happy to not be pre-ordering their beta. I’m pretty frustrated I bought medal of honor for this stunt.

• kamikaziechameleon

Basically my accusations are that this game is 6 months behind in development per the fact that the beta was pushed back so far in development. I think this game will have a rough first couple months and nothing they are doing is making me think this is anything different from the BS that dice has pulled in the past.

• zdw

The previews they showed to press at GamesCon and similar were pretty polished, if reports were to be believed.

The rumor mill is that the console versions, specifically the 360 version (which a video was shown of for the first time a few days ago) and getting approval for it to go on Xbox Live and PSN were delaying the beta from being released (which for some reason had to happen all at once).

• kamikaziechameleon

I believe dice is slacking in the console department. They’ve made many console games and not many of them where any good.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I still enjoy me some BC2 on the 360 every now and then.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah BC 1 was the first competent console game they ever made.

• kamikaziechameleon

I still look at how they are in alpha so late in the game and it makes me worry. gears had its beta months ago, this game gets like a month to implement potentially major changes.

• lilbuddhaman

merely marketing speak. No “alpha” is an “alpha” anymore, nor is any “beta” a “beta”, in the classic sense of the words.

alpha = beta
            beta = demo

• flip-mode

Those are stunning graphics. Best I’ve ever seen. Too bad I don’t dig the genre.

• DancinJack

They’ve done a great job with the trailers for this game.

I don’t know if others feel this way (specifically those that have already played the alpha version), but I feel like the sound in this game is really, really good. Looking forward to actually playing a little.

• ALiLPinkMonster

That goes without saying. Battlefield games have always been known for their great audio.