3D-enabled Flash Player 11 coming next month

Unfazed by the cold shoulder Microsoft seems to be giving it, Adobe has announced a new version of its Flash Player designed to usher in real-time, "console-quality" 3D graphics. Adobe Flash Player 11 is due out in early October, and it will be accompanied by a new AIR 3 runtime, the company says.

Flash Player 11’s new three-dimensional functionality is dubbed Stage 3D, which Adobe defines as a "new architecture for hardware accelerated graphics rendering that delivers 1000x faster rendering performance over Flash Player 10." The result, as you might expect, will be real-time 3D Flash games. The company demos one example, Zombie Tycoon, in the video below:

In addition to the newfangled 3D functionality, Flash Player 11 will purportedly introduce new features geared toward high-definition video playback. You can look forward to "native 64-bit optimizations, high-quality HD video conferencing, and a powerful, flexible architecture for leveraging native device and platform capabilities," Adobe says.

Adobe expects the first 3D Flash games to start popping up later this year and in 2012.

• lilbuddhaman

My issue with flash (and java) is not the cpu utilization, or whatever benchmark you want to show me, it’s real world performance/behavior.

I load a webpage that has no flash and it loads up nice and quick, and all functionality works, regardless of my browser.
    I load a webpage that has flash and it loads partially, the flash element partially loads, appears to be working, I click something and the page lags, sometimes reloads itself, menu elements lag, etc etc. regardless of browser.

Many times elements are written in flash for seemingly no reason at all. Why does a menu bar with nothing but simple page links need to be coded in flash? a drop down menu ?

Browsing most websites today feels/behaves slower than 5 years ago, on lesser hardware and lesser connection speeds. Stuff like Origin, where the entire UI is a web-based system angers me, because I know that I’ll be greeted to one of these laggy, jerky menus.

I’m sure there’s a better way of explaining this, but that’s as good as I can do atm…

• sweatshopking

Stuff like Origin or [b<] Steam [/b<], where the entire UI is a web-based system angers me, because I know that I'll be greeted to one of these laggy, jerky menus. fixed that for you

• tanker27

>.<

I just wish Flash would DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• crazybus

Hurray, 3D ads to hog my GPU, not just eat up ridiculous amounts of CPU cycles.

• sweatshopking

? wut? you one of those crazy guys who believes flash is ZOMG inefficient!!!? it’s not. it’s actually not bad software on windows, anyway. In many cases it’s more efficient than html5.

“Windows Tests

Safari wouldn’t play HTML5 videos, so there was no way to test that. However, Flash 10.0 used 23.22% CPU but Flash 10.1 only used 7.43% CPU
      Google Chrome was more efficient on Windows than Mac. Playback with Flash Player 10.0 was about 24% more efficient than HTML5, while Flash Player 10.1 was 58% more efficient than HTML5.
      On Firefox, Flash 10.1 dropped CPU utilization to 6% from 22% in Flash 10.0
      In IE8, Flash 10.0 used 22.41% CPU and Flash 10.1 used 14.62% CPU”

from [url<]http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/does_html5_really_beat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php[/url<]

• FakeAlGore

Those tests were performed over a year ago. All three major browsers (which I define as Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome) have hardware accelerated HTML5 now. I’d like to see those tests run again.

• sweatshopking

they were. i haven’t seen any recent data to counter it though. if you have some, share it. My point was simply that the flash hate is overblown. which it is.

• A_Pickle

Eh…

…it’s probably not overblown for anyone [i<]not[/i<] on Windows...

• sschaem

Probably… Probably not. Have you run a single test yourself?

• sschaem

do the test yourself ? load chrome and go to youtube in HTLM5 mode and play a 1080P video.
          Close and open IE with Flash 11 and open the same video.

On my system Flash 11 in IE is over 4 time more efficient then HTML5 in Chrome 14.0.835.186

4 TIMES, 4% CPU VS >20% … Flash from this test is the most efficient by far.

Flash is more then an optimized and HW accelerated H.264 codec. The next battle is WebGL vs Stage3D

But the thing that seem to matter to developers is that Flash work the same on all platform, not so true with WebGL.

• crazybus

Actually I’m not an all out Flash hater; it provides certain functionality that perhaps only Silverlight can reproduce currently.

I wasn’t referring to Flash video containers, which still aren’t as efficient as they could be, but rather to Flash animations, games, etc, that often do their best to peg a single core, even rendering something fairly simple. This is frustrating especially in the case of advertisements, which I usually don’t care to see anyway. On a powerful Windows desktop it’s no big deal, but on a mobile or non-Windows device you can count on slowdowns, extra heat generation and/or worse battery life.

• ew

Flashblock

• yogibbear

Replace zombies with adobe flash icons and I’d play it.

• Duck

Oh, Flash! Oh how I hate thee!

• codedivine

[quote<]1000x faster rendering performance over Flash Player 10[/quote<] From one viewpoint, it shows Flash 11 is fast. From another viewpoint, it shows how bad Flash 10 is.

• odizzido

1000x zero is still zero

• ew

Adobe announces Flash App Storeā„¢ in 3.. 2.. 1..

• bthylafh

Nah, we’ll have the first security patch before that.

• Deanjo

Just one?

• PrincipalSkinner

If not their flash, you gotta admire their spirit.

• Deanjo

No you don’t and stop telling me that I have to..

• RhysAndrews

I think they’ve missed the zombie craze by a couple of years. And they still got it wrong..
      Cool music, though.

• sweatshopking

looks like a pretty “atom zombie smasher”