Whitman may take over as HP’s CEO today

HP’s rumored change in leadership could happen sooner than we thought. According to "multiple sources" quoted by AllThingsD, HP will announce the replacement of CEO Leo Apotheker with former eBay chief Meg Whitman later today, right after markets close.

Interestingly, it’s said Whitman will take over as CEO permanently—not in an interim capacity. The Wall Street Journal named Whitman yesterday as a potentially reluctant candidate for an interim CEO position. Perhaps that reluctance was about the "interim" part of the job title. AllThingsD cites one of its sources as saying, "Meg is not someone who wants to be a steward of a process to find another CEO for HP . . . She wants to run the company and be a strong leader for what she considers an important tech powerhouse."

None of this is official just yet, though. AllThingsD notes that HP’s board has yet to vote, and the situation "could certainly change."

HP could definitely do a lot worse than Whitman. Last year, she ranked eighth in the Harvard Business Review’s list of the 100 best-performing CEOs, behind Amazon’s Jeff Bezos and ahead of Google’s Eric Schmidt. However, eBay and HP are very different businesses. As AllThingsD points out, Whitman lacks experience with the hardware and enterprise markets in which HP is so deeply wedged. Maybe her experience at eBay will help her find a buyer for HP’s PC unit, though.

• destroy.all.monsters

You forgot “Sent from my Ipad”.

• My Johnson

Amazon owned ebay while she was CEO and she still raked it in pay wise. If HP thinks they’ll get anything out of her then I hope they made sure her pay is linked to long term performance. But I have my doubts.

• UberGerbil

Tiger blood!

• chuckula

Get rid of the “may” from the title, kuz it’s official: [url<]http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press/2011/110922xb.html[/url<]

• Decelerate

Considering what’s happened, it might be quite an improvement.

Then again, even the Wizard of Oz’s Scarecrow could do a better job.

• PeterD

Well, if the company flucks this year (or next year), they at least gave us an amusing time.
    That’s worth something.
    (i don’t know what, but at least something)

• PeterD

He can run it on its iPad from his sickbed.

• PeterD

She will sell it to the Chinese. Apotheker only laid the foundation.

• eitje

I hear Steve Jobs is available.

• sschaem

For some reason I feel that HP is a doomed company unless its split up.

• flip-mode

Yeah, it’s crazy. HP is like a corporate Charlie Sheen lately.

• crsh1976

I’m seriously starting to think the HP board is trying to sabotage the company at this point, Whitman should be able to run HP into the ground before the end of the year without so much as trying.

• albundy

Well, the old CEO deserves at least a thank you from me for selling me a $600 touchpad for $150

blah-dios!

• dpaus

I’m reminded of the promo reel for “That’s Armageddon!” in [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyMZHNBVcio<]'Kentucky Fried Movie'[/url<] (brief clips at about 0:56 and 1:38, but really, you should see the whole thing, in the original Feel-A-Round)

• UberGerbil

I have to say, this whole trainwreck soap opera has the same morbid fascination as a pile of smoking and twisted cars in the ditch. You just don’t see top-tier companies make so many bungled high-level decisions (in hires and strategy) in such a short timeframe. At this point, I would think HP shareholders want to oust the entire board. Can you reboot a corporation?

• dpaus

Let’s hope this doesn’t lead to the dreaded [url=http://www.precentral.net/hp-s-board-never-met-apotheker-hiring-him<]double face-palm[/url<] (thanks for the visual, PreCentral) Oh, did I say 'palm'?? Sorry...

• bjm

Boooo!!!

• ludi

[quote<]Maybe her experience at eBay will help her find a buyer for HP's PC unit, though.[/quote<] [b<]Post Preview:[/b<] [i<]Main Category:[/i<] [b<]Computers & Networking > PC General > Deprecated Divisions[/b<] [i<]Second Category (additional fees apply)[/i<]: N/A [i<]Title:[/i<] Top-Tier PC Vendor FS/BIN/BO, Like New! [i<]Description:[/i<]: You are bidding on one PC division. Great value! Only moderately used, still shiny, was a business interest of mine, then I kept it going for a while as a hobby, and now I just don't have time to make it work right. Has all the features and mods you want, including many Compaq-sourced parts that I consolidated in 2002. Nothing wrong with it, but I made some stupid financial moves this past year and lost half of my market capitalization, so now I just need it out of here. My loss is your gain. Use Buy-It-Now, and I'll throw in the trademark rights to "The Computer is Personal Again" for free. Patent portfolio not included, search auctions for user ID "hpQ4ever" to find my IP licensing auctions. {EDIT AGAIN} {PROCEED TO NEXT STEP}

• ronch

Yeah, replace a stupid CEO with another who also had a questionable past. I seriously doubt HP will ever have a proper, long-term, high performance CEO.

Goodbye, HP.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah HP, not the best board…

• dpaus

If anyone has Meg’s e-mail, could they please forward to her a link to my rant in today’s Shortbread Comments? Thanks! And yes, I’m available for coffee…

Assuming, of course, that the Board can stay away from each others’ throats long enough to approve her appointment as CEO; a situation that sadly seems far from certain.

Share this post with your friends!