Amazon could unveil its Android tablet next week

By now, you’ve probably caught wind of the rumors that Amazon is not-so-quietly cooking up an Android tablet. One blogger even claims to have spent some quality time with the device. According to TechCrunch, Amazon may now be on the verge of introducing the tablet.

Indeed, Amazon has apparently sent out invitations for a press conference to be held on the morning of September 28. The invite doesn’t say anything about what’s in store, but TechCrunch speculates that the tablet is likely to make an appearance. Other possible announcements might include new Kindle e-readers and the company’s 7-Eleven delivery lockers, but a hardware launch seems more likely, especially with Barnes & Noble turning the heat up on Amazon with its Nook devices.

Word is that the Amazon tablet will have a 7" display, a $250 price tag, and a customized version of Android without all of the Google software. Some sort of all-you-can-watch TV and movie service might be in the cards, as well, which could make the device a sort of Kindle for video content. We’ll find out for sure soon enough, hopefully.

• ronch

[drum roll…..]

I bet this thing will be all but forgotten a week after.

• Ethyriel

You’ll see them everywhere within a month, with Kindle branding.

• rndmuser

Meh… There’s already an assloads of various Android tablets available for sale, even on Amazon’s own store, for just about every price point (including sub-$100 tablets, which are pretty bad but can still allow cheapskates to pretend that they’re also “cool” and “trendy”). I really don’t see why should I care about Amazon’s own creation… except maybe a close integration with Kindle bookstore… which I don’t really care about since I already have Kindle apps on my iPad, iPhone and PC and they work good enough for all my book reading needs. Integration of Amazon’s video content might be desirable for a few, but personally I rarely use it, even for all the free content I get with my Prime subscription.

• sweatshopking

hahhahha apple nerd.

• Ethyriel

It’s 7″, so easier to handle; Amazon Kindle branded, so the e-reader experience is played forward; and inexpensive, in a world where $250 gets you offbrand junk currently. I’m waiting for 2nd generation most likely, but I’m eager to see what kind of experience they offer. I love my Kindle, but it tends to be awkward for reading PDF’s and diagrams and tables in textbooks.

• BobbinThreadbare

I don’t think anyone expects the hardware to be super special, but Amazon’s strength should be on the software side.

• kamikaziechameleon

I do feel this market is flooding quickly. While I’m certain that Amazon will have a solid, if not leading contender on its hands I’m waiting for certain hand held makers to venture into this space… SPECIFICALLY HTC! I love my HTC handset and feel that this company offers some premier post launch support something that on the pc end I’ve personally only experience with an ASUS product. (namely my EEE PC)

Ok that was my fanboy moment, I really like the existing kindle and hope this keeps up with that tradition.

• crose

HTC have been weak on the tablet front so far.. HTC Flyer? Meh…

• UberGerbil

Ok, totally off-topic, but something about HTC’s handsets has been bugging me and you sound like a guy to ask: what’s the deal with that clock display on the home page? Can you turn it off, or replace it with something else, even some other time display that doesn’t look like that stupid flip-card clock? Every time I see an HTC advertised that’s on the screen, and it’s enough to make me avoid the brand.

• dpaus

With the loss of WebOS devices forcing some of us to look at alternatives, this is a very timely question….

• mutarasector

I don’t know why you got a -1 for that point, but I fixed it forya.

As for your point about the loss of WebOS forcing some of us to look at alternatives, I quite agree. Personally, I think if anyone has the ability to pull off a successful contender to the iPad, it would likely be Amazon, given they have the etail ecosystem in place to utilize it, they’re not utilizing most of Google’s software which theoretically should help them sidestep the patent minefield. The only real question for me is just how well can they execute hardware-wise.

• MadManOriginal

Whitman to the rescue!

• rgreen83

of course you can change it, android is linux afterall so you are welcome to change anything any way you like as opposed to other closed systems

• Disco

Although I like the clock on my HTC, you can change it to many other styles or remove it completely if you want… No constraints on how you arrange your home screen.