Asus teases October 11 ultrabook launch

No need to dig around rumor sites to try and figure out when the first ultrabooks will show up. Asus has taken care of that for us, putting up a teaser page for its upcoming UX-series ultrabooks. The page talks of an October 11 launch event in New York, and it leaves little to the imagination:

That sexy, aluminum-clad system you see in the picture may well be the one we saw at Computex earlier this year. The machine on display there was 0.67" thick and weighed in at only 2.4 lbs, and we were told it would come outfitted with Sandy Bridge processors, 6Gbps solid-state drives, USB 3.0 connectivity, and a seven-hour battery. We weren’t given a display size, but the system looked to have a 13" screen.

One question remains, and that’s how much this bad boy will cost. Officially, Intel is shooting for sub-$1,000 prices on ultrabooks. Asus was quoted by DigiTimes recently as saying its first wave of ultrabooks will be priced at "$899 and up," so this puppy could meet that target. The words "and up" certainly leave room for higher pricing, though, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see higher-end ultrabook variants priced north of $1,000. (Thanks to Liliputing for the link.)

• Sunburn74

Asus customer service is atrocious. I’ll be buying my ultrabooks from other manufacturers thank you very much.

• dpaus

I think I’ll hold off ordering my Alienware m11x to have a look at this….

• DancinJack

The only reason I could think you’d buy the m11x would be for gaming in a small form factor. No way this has a better GPU than the m11x.

• dpaus

See real reason below…

Alienware:
      Powerful GPU and CPU, sacrificing battery life, a thin chassis, cool-running and silence to get as many frames per second as possible in a laptop package.

Ultrabook:
      Low power CPU with integrated GPU sacrificing 3D performance and quality to get as thin and light a package as possible.

How would you be even considering an HD3000 if you were about to order a gaming laptop? Am I wrong in assuming you want the Alienware for it’s powerful discrete graphics card in a small package?

• dpaus

[quote<]Am I wrong in assuming you want the Alienware for it's powerful discrete graphics card in a small package?[/quote<] Yes, you are 🙂 but it's an understandable mistake. I wouldn't be using the m11x for gaming at all; instead it's my small-and-light business laptop. In an 11" formfactor, it includes DisplayPort [i<]and[/i<] HDMI out, with one USB 2 and [i<]two[/i<] USB 3.0 ports. I'll order one with an SSD for quick booting, and pair it with a 64 GByte USB 3.0 thumbdrive, which will hold all my data. Voila: a small, adequately powerful, highly portable system that can drive my 30" HP ZR30W, my 24" Samsung pivot, and - using the second USB 3.0 port with a video adaptor - either another desk display [i<]or[/i<] one of the two mentioned above while keeping the m11x's built-in display running (damn Nvidia and their '2-displays-only' limitation!!). I can also easily drive an RGB display projector with one of the USB ports, even the USB 2 port if need be. When on a plane, it'll actually fit on the seat-back tray. When riding back and forth to work on my motorcycle, it easily slips into the saddlebags. To compete, I'd need an Ultrabook with Displayport and HDMI out, and at least one USB 3.0 (but let's face it, probably 2, since most Ultrabooks are just going to be IGP models), and I haven't seen any with those specs yet.

Ahah, that makes more sense.

However, the sheer bulk of the m11x puts it closer in size and weight to many of the 13.3″ laptops around. I was sorely tempted by the m11x until I saw the thing in the flesh. It’s a great little laptop, but the 11″ is a misnomer, it makes 12″ netbooks look anorexic, and at 4.5lbs, you do have to ask yourself why you put up with the weight for such a tiny, mediocre screen.

So yeah, if they do make an ultrabook with DP and HDMI out, then this might actually make sense for you. Especially because an ultrabook will look better as a business tool than the “kiddie-gamer” image that an Alienware radiates 😛

• dpaus

[quote<]an ultrabook will look better as a business tool than the "kiddie-gamer" image that an Alienware radiates :P[/quote<] I think 'executive image' is a lost cause after I arrive at the business meeting on my chopper....

• NeelyCam

[quote<]I think 'executive image' is a lost cause after I arrive at the business meeting on my chopper....[/quote<] Nah - just means that you're a new brand of "executive image". The conservative "Old Guard" should be... on guard?

• dpaus

All I can tell you is that Collections efforts have plummeted…

• sweatshopking

YOU HAVE A HELICOPTER?

• dpaus

I can just hear you pretending you’re me, going ‘fap, fap, fap, fap…’

• kamikaziechameleon

I love asus but they poop out a new product every 2 weeks it feels like. I’d really like to see their pc division refine their lineup a little more.

• Corrado

Agree. Have distinct product lines and refine them and refresh them instead of just shipping COMPLETELY different things every 3-4 months.

• Duck

It’s called throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

The problem with that attitude is that [b<]some[/b<] of your products are crap. Those that fall into this sub-par category will still be reviewd in public by journalists, and bought by people who are unlikely to say kind things about your brand when friends ask them what your crappy product is like.