Radeon owners get Battlefield 3 drivers, too

The Battlefield 3 public beta is supposed to kick off today for pre-orders and Thursday for everybody else, and GPU makers are getting their drivers ready in anticipation. Nvidia released a set of beta drivers specifically for the beta yesterday morning, and AMD followed suit last night, rolling out Catalyst 11.10 preview drivers that purportedly bring forth the following additions:

• Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing, and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series for single GPU configurations
  • Improves performance in Battlefield 3 Open Beta release for both non-Anti-Aliasing, and application enabled Anti-Aliasing cases on CrossFire configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Enables support for Eyefinity 5×1 display (portrait and landscape) configurations using the AMD Radeon™ HD 6000 and AMD Radeon™ HD 5000 Series
  • Vision Engine Control Center: User Interface enhancements have been implemented for the CrossfireX, GPU Overdrive, and Information Center pages.

In other words, folks with Radeon HD 5000 and 6000 graphics cards—be they in CrossFire mode or not—should enjoy better BF3 performance, not to mention a new Eyefinity mode, if they install the preview drivers.

Owners of older Radeons aren’t mentioned, though judging by the game’s system requirements, they might want to look into an upgrade. EA DICE recommends a GeForce GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6950 for Battlefield 3.

• moose17145

Oooo… bit concerned about my rig… i think 90% of it should be okay… but my videocard is a bit lacking….

i7-920
    6GB ram
    Radeon 4870 1GB…
    1920×1200 24″ monitor…

I would love to be able to run this game in high quality mode… but seriously doubt i am going to be able to. Going to try and hold out for the new 28 nm radeons and see what they bring… hopefully i will be able to get a card that can handle this game at high quality levels for a reasonable price… at least i am hoping that the new 28nm cards bring good things… guess we will see what actually happens…. or how soon those cards actually get released in large numbers at reasonable price points…

• Glix

My 4870 runs the beta fine at 1366×768 on high. So you should be ok, the only reason I’m running it at that resolution is because I hit my vram ceiling by going higher. I’ve got my core set to 790mhz incase you are wondering.

The memory leaks are a tad annoying though. :p

• moose17145

Are you running the 512MB or 1GB version of the 4870? I noticed that 1 GB of VRAM is what is recommended under the recommended systems requirements…

• Glix

512mb, and afterburner reports that I am under that limit in all situations in the beta (for operation metro, haven’t gotten into a Caspian server yet).

• jasonch

The old ones from last night didn’t work… so they fixed it and put up new ones…

[url<]https://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator/status/118698909383131136[/url<]

• kamikaziechameleon

I want to buy this game at launch but honestly I’m waiting to see a benchmark or GPU review on here that indicates a system that will run this game best. I’m not made of money so the 580 seems extra pointless for only one game. I’m more of a performance for the dollar guy, and I hope to see a more nuanced graphics review in light of the recent revelations here on my favorite tech site.

I’m sad to see dual GPU rendering is such a compromise in image quality for frame rates. I hope that either the GPU venders address this now that Tech report has brought it to light(via drivers or other support) or that we see products that address the newly found gap in the performance/dollar scale we have now. I do hope that the lucid tech you guys wrote about is able to address this. Please continue to notify us as it works its way into products.

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m also inclined to wait and buy BF3 bundled for free with my next GPU, lol.

• kamikaziechameleon

I don’t know why I got the Thumbs down but no replies.

• kamikaziechameleon

just recieved my beta code. Ok if I start downloading now I’ll play by 7 pm tomorrow, lol.

• lilbuddhaman

There is an edit button you know 🙂

• LuvKush

Doesn’t work.

• Ratchet

Can anyone actually download a working copy of these? All I get is a 23MB version that doesn’t work.

• lilbuddhaman

Slightly Off-topic, there any reliable torrents of the beta client floating around ? I know I won’t be able to get access till the 29th, but it’d be nice to have that 3.2gb download finished so I can hop right into it. >_>

• lilbuddhaman
    • Waco

From what I can tell the “Crossfire improvements for 5000 and 6000 series” always carry over to older Crossfire capable systems as well. I’ve seen drastic improvements in scaling with my 4870X2s with the newer drivers even though they haven’t been listed in a LONG time.

• Airmantharp

I’ll have to give these a run-through as soon as I get the Beta up. Hopefully this goes better than the Alpha!

• Airmantharp

Had some trouble at first, but it looks like it’s smooth going now. Going to have to dial in the settings though, the default ones were a bit laggy and choppy!