Apple sets date for next iPhone event

Well, that ought to put an end to the rumor mill’s endless speculation about the next iPhone’s launch date—at least until we start hearing about the next next iPhone. As Reuters reports, Apple has sent out invitations to the press for a "special event" that will be held next Tuesday. The title of the event? "Let’s talk iPhone."

We can take that as confirmation of a recent report by AllThingsD, which said Apple CEO Tim Cook would unveil the iPhone 5 at the company’s headquarters on October 4. According to that story, the iPhone 5 won’t be available straight away—rather, early adopters will have to wait until "a few weeks after the announcement."

An earlier post by Ars Technica also suggests that the iPhone 5 may be accompanied by a second device, the iPhone 4S, which could simply be a quicker version of the iPhone 4. We’ve seen all kinds of conflicting reports about the devices, though, which tells us that Apple is still doing a fairly good job of keeping a tight lid on its pre-release products, despite tremendous demand for leaks.

• Silus

And the idiots that spent $600 on the previous iPhone a year ago, will spend another $600 to get this one. I saw the same thing with the iPad to IPad 2 purchases, with the excuse that “I have to keep up with technology”…

• PenGun

I just got my first cool phone. I’m very pleased with my Sammy GS2 and I am interested as to whether it may be the reason Apple is so upset with Samsung.

It’s an amazing phone although I really have nothing previous to compare it too.

• albundy

like, ohmah gawd foe realz, i cant wait to see that + volume button color changed! it would be the biggest and best change since iphone 1!

• mattthemuppet

see [url<]http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple[/url<]

• albundy

hah, nice! reminds me of southpark season 5 episode 1 where Cartman tapes a piece of glass to a cardboard cutout of the ipad an starts dissing everyone else in the schoolyard for not having an ipad. best. episode. EVER!

• FuturePastNow

The iPhone 4S is likely just the current generation hardware with only 8GB of storage, replacing the still-available 3GS at its $49 price.

• mikehodges2

9to5mac reckons a dual core A5, 1GB RAM, 8 megapixel camera with some sorta sensor backlight for low light (don’t understand it personally, but apparently it’ll be better) and iOS 5. A fairly substantial update if its all true, even if its in the same (pretty nice) case as the iPhone 4. A new design with bigger screen would be a bonus, but i’m not too fussed if those specs are all correct.

• drfish

In other news I’m happily installing Mango on my Focus… Love me some WP7. 😉

• 5150

Good luck! I loved my Windows 7 phone the few weeks I had it (terrible AT&T coverage in my area). I have a Samsung Fascinate and the Focus was much nicer.

• drfish

Success! It’s. So. Beautiful.

Had to install 3 updates total, annoyingly took over an hour, but I’m quite pleased.

• sweatshopking

i got my final installed today. had the beta before. it really is a damn nice OS.

I hate you because you have mango and AT&T decided I shouldn’t have it yet.

• sweatshopking

did you try the disconnecting the internet trick? seems to work, from what i hear…
        [url<]http://wmpoweruser.com/simple-trick-to-force-the-mango-update/[/url<] i didn't do it, but i've heard good things. I'm with Virgin in Canada, they don't carry any wp7 phones, and i got it anyway...

• NeelyCam

Clearly it’s Fishy’s fault.

• Spyder22446688

They make cool phones. I hate iTunes with a passion and don’t buy into the cult following, but they really do make cool phones.

• NeelyCam

Other manufacturers also make cool phones.

• Spyder22446688

You are totally correct (obvious comment but still correct!). I’m ditching my iPhone 3GS for an HTC Amaze next month. This decision has more to do with my hatred of AT&T and iTunes than it does for the hardware itself, though.

• Da_Boss

You couldn’t have chosen a worse time to switch.. 😀

With iOS 5, iDevices are less dependent on iTunes than ever! The only time you even need to sync anymore is when you’re importing non-iTunes store songs. Everything else can be backed up on iCloud.

But your AT&T hate? That, I can totally understand.

• Spyder22446688

All I do is import non-iTunes store songs, meaning plenty of syncs. And I will not be using iCloud. If the new iPhone totally kicks butt, I will consider it. Right now I am leaning towards HTC/Samsung.

• NeelyCam

Honestly, I would wait for Tegra3 phones.. A5 is so last year.

• Deanjo

Maybe Tegra 3 can maybe finally match “so last years” A5 in performance.

• Corrado

From the anecdotal evidence on the net, Tegra3 is supposed to match the A5. Not beat it.

• sweatshopking

check out wp7. Mango is pretty damn good….

[url<]http://gizmodo.com/5844315/windows-phone-75-review-second-best-isnt-half-bad[/url<]

• yogibbear

I actually need to ditch my current nokia n86 and am tossing up between the Galaxy SII and the iPhone 5 (if that’s what it is?)…. so am interested in this announcement….

• A_Pickle

You know, I dispute this.

About the only thing that the iPhone has ever dazzled me with is the screen — every so often, they put the iPhone out with a screen that bests everyone else’s. For awhile. Then the rest of the phone industry implements the same screen on phones that [i<]do[/i<] possess nice things like MicroSDHC card slots and HDMI outputs. They're not really that cool, in my mind. They're certainly not shabby, but they're not super awesome cool, either.

• Corrado

Who ACTUALLY uses HDMI output on their phone for more than a ‘Lets see if this works’? SD cards I can see the merit in, but how much space do you need on your phone? I know I don’t carry my entire collection with me, and will generally not carry much more than 3-4gb of music at a given time, or maybe perhaps a movie or two. Either way, 16 or 32gb should be enough for all but the absolute most demanding users.

Its just like having video calling. Every nerd on the internet called for video calling from their phone… and next to no one uses it. Even if Apple decided to add HDMI and SDCards, the haters would move the goalposts again, just like they do with everything that gets added. Streaming, notifications, wireless sync, video calling, multi-tasking… its always something. “When they add X I’ll consider it, until then it sucks” Next iOS version, X is added and “Pffft, is that all? When they add Y, I’ll consider it.”

They’ve given up trying to convert people that won’t be converted no matter what.

• sjl

[quote<]They've given up trying to convert people that won't be converted no matter what.[/quote<] I don't think they ever tried. They put their product out there. Those who like it will grab it. Those who don't, won't. Apple are making enough money that those who don't bother buying are irrelevant to them. Love them or hate them, Apple have a knack for looking at a product, and paring down the feature set to the bare minimum - the genius is in what they leave out, not what they put in. Most people don't give a damn about SD cards, HDMI output, or what have you. They just want a phone that they can use to make calls, receive calls, send text messages, and run whatever apps they happen to like (including web browsers, GPS, whatever.) Apple's not interested in playing the "Our phone can do THIS! Isn't it COOL?" game. Never have been. They're more interested in polishing a given feature until it gleams, and only then putting it in play; if that means they drop said feature on the floor because they can't make it gleam (or until they can make it gleam), they'll do so without batting an eyelid.

• Silus

I do, for both movies and games. Don’t forget how powerful these smartphones are nowadays. Some games for phones are quite nice and playing them on a big screen TV is awesome. For movies it’s even better. Obviously it won’t captivate everyone, but carrying a mini-HTPC in your pocket has many advantages.

• A_Pickle

[quote=”Corrado”<]Who ACTUALLY uses HDMI output on their phone for more than a 'Lets see if this works'?[/quote<] I know it may be phenomenally difficult for Apple users (not accustomed to having useful ports on their devices) to understand, but I am ten times as likely to share my media with friends and family via the HDMI port on my phone (which is in my pocket [i<]ALL THE TIME[/i<]) versus sharing it with them via the HDMI port on my laptop. Laptops are usually big, and I don't bring them around all the time. My phone, on the other hand, is in my pocket every second of every minute that I'm not at home. [quote="Corrado"<]SD cards I can see the merit in, but how much space do you need on your phone?[/quote<] As much as I can possibly get? I'd prefer to carry my entire music collection with me, on my phone, stored locally. That alone calls for 40 GB of local storage on my phone, and I don't [i<]just[/i<] want to carry music -- I want space for documents, maybe some movies, and applications and games. I realize I can't (yet) have a terabyte of storage space in my pocket, but I want as much space as I can possibly get. 32 GB isn't enough, it isn't even close to enough. [quote="Corrado"<]Its just like having video calling. Every nerd on the internet called for video calling from their phone... and next to no one uses it.[/quote<] Video calling isn't terribly mainstream because VOIP services like Skype beat the carriers to the punch, and because most people are rocking phones that lack the capability to video call. It probably doesn't help that Apple's answer to the nerds "calling for video calling" was FaceTime, a proprietary protocol [i<]that doesn't work with anything but Apple devices[/i<]. On the other hand, Google Talk is based off of XMPP, which is a nice open-source industry standard. [quote="Corrado"]Streaming, notifications, wireless sync, video calling, multi-tasking... its always something. "When they add X I'll consider it, until then it sucks" Next iOS version, X is added and "Pffft, is that all? When they add Y, I'll consider it." Oh, that's not how I roll. If they omit a patently obvious feature (for example, [i<]COPY and PASTE[/i<]), I will rag on them for it. I make no promises about eventually being a customer, with one exception: I would be happy to give Apple a fair shake up against other handset manufacturers/OS developers if they would play nice with jailbreakers, and allow advanced users to do with their devices as they please. They do not. They regulate the App Store, and they disallow sideloading of applications. Honestly, I find Apple's regulation of the App Store to be the worst part of iOS -- but if they would let me sideload applications from any source, [i<]I honestly wouldn't give a shit[/i<]. Unfortunately, they do, and in my mind that sets a bad precedent for information technology, a precedent I am not willing to support with my funding.

• MadManOriginal

They make cool iThings (and this applied to other manufacturers as well). Calling them ‘phones’ at this point sometimes seems like a stretch to me when actually placing phone calls is not the highest design priority.

• kamikaziechameleon

Cool, so they think of something, announce it, HTC builds it better for less and apple sues them using an unrelated patent.

Hear we go again.

• Dashak

> Hear

[i<]twitch[/i<]

• Corrado

Less? All the high end HTC phones cost exactly the same as an equivelant iPhone. The plans cost the same as well. And in fact, the HTC Thunderbolt (32GB of storage) cost $350 on contract. An iPhone4 32gb costs $299. Also, anything with “SenseUI” and “better” should only be used in 2 situations. One is when saying “X is better than SenseUI”, where X is vanilla Android, CyanogenMod, TouchWiz, or MIUI. Second is when saying “SenseUI is better than MotoBlur”. And since any Android phone HTC builds comes with SenseUI, they are interchangeable at this point in time.

• sweatshopking

ROOT IT, AND INSTALL CYANOGEN

• Corrado

JAILBREAK IT AND INSTALL WHATEVER YOU WANT!

Jailbreak and rooting are essentially one in the same. I’m tired of all the Android fans saying that “Oh, if I want to do X, I’d need to jailbreak!”, but in reality, its the same thing.

• sweatshopking

sure. and…?

• Corrado

Eh just pointing out the hypocrisy of it all. Some people like Android, some people like iOS. Theres a certain portion of the demographic that you’ll NEVER convince that the other side is a worthwhile option. A lot of the people that talk smack on the i devices and Apple products in general are people that never would have bought them in the first place. Does iOS have some issues? Absolutely. And so does Android. I’ve had both, and I ended up going back to my iPhone4 after 3 different Android phones. I also ended up back on an iPad after trying multiple Android tablets. Incidentally, I’m now using a TouchPad as me primary mobile device. I like Apple devices, but i also have 3 Windows boxes and a Linux box at home to go with my MBP and my wifes imac.

But a lot of geeks don’t wanna listen to the fact that I’ve TRIED almost every bit of tech out there, and I use what I like. I have reasons for ditching the Android phones and tablets. I have reasons for ditching my Blackberries. But they don’t care. I use Apple products, nevermind that they are only about 1/3 of the devices I use/own, if you use and like ANY Apple device, you’re clearly either too rich and naive, or too poor and trying to look like a hipster. I run over 1100 servers every day, about 750 Windows and the rest Red Hat EL or Oracle EL, but clearly, I’m just a Mac Hipster with no idea what he’s doing, because I merely suckle at the teat of Steve. I am an ignorant KoolAid drinking zealot.

Note, I’m not unloading on YOU SSK, just the entire partisan atmosphere that is the fanboy wars, whether its ATI or nVidia, Intel or AMD, Apple or PC, iOS or Android… you’re either with us or you’re with the terrorists. Theres no gray area. Its black or white. Its also obnoxious.

• BobbinThreadbare

I still fail to see how any of this applies to sweatshopking’s post. Unless you can run Android interfaces on iPhones.

• Corrado

Essentially, he said “To make it what you want it to do, root it and modify it” (paraphrase). That logic can be applied to an iPhone as well. Hell, you can make it look and work like an OS X desktop.

[url<]http://www.complex.com/tech/2011/09/transform-your-iphone-ios-with-osx-desktop-like-functionality[/url<] That's the Android fanboy's response to any complaint about a lot of stuff. "Oh, just root it and install a different ROM! Thats whats great about Android!" Well, I can jailbreak my iphone and install a different messaging app, a different mail app, or web browser or interface or whatever too. Either way, they're on equal footing as they are both voiding the warranty to mod the OS at some level.

• BobbinThreadbare

That’s fine, but ssk wasn’t comparing Android to iOS.

• Corrado

Correct, but the OP was, and my comments were in relationship to that. Your comments in this thread should directly relate to the OP and I was relating SSK’s comments to the general vibe of the thread.

• MadManOriginal

Jailbreaking is the same as totally replacing the OS? mmkay

Yes, I understand rooting is replacing Android with Android, but there are vastly different versions of Android. Does anyone ‘jailbreak’ to install a customized or particular version of iOS (on something more than a superficial level)? Or just to do what they want with the device they purchased? And to ‘install what you want’ on Android doesn’t even require rooting, it does require jailbreaking the iStuff though.

From a very high level they are comparable, the way that an apple and an orange are both round fruits…

• A_Pickle

Plus, some Android handset makers are playing along with those who root their phones and install custom Android ROMs. It’s certainly not perfect, but it’s better than having a company that absolutely does not and will not play nice with jailbreakers. If your phone breaks, and you’ve jailbroken it — I guarantee you Apple won’t honor the warranty (even [i<]if[/i<] you're gullible/stupid enough to pay for the carrier's phone insurance), meanwhile the whole damn time you owned the phone they had software developers diligently working to circumvent the latest jailbreaks and deny them updates. Yeah, sounds like a great time, I think I'll reward that dickish behavior by buying their product.[/sarcasm]

• A_Pickle

….but with rooting, I don’t have to provide financial support to a company that’s actively trying to take away user rights while abusing the patent system.

• Welch

THIS JUST IN!!!!

Steve Jobs and Co. requests that all fellow cultist please bring your own cup if you want punch. That is all 🙂

• heinsj24

That should be Tim Cook and Co.

• NeelyCam

Tim Cook = Steve Jobs’ avatar

• dpaus

Funny, he doesn’t look 10 feet tall. Or blue, for that matter. Of course, with those rose-tinted glasses, they wouldn’t notice anyway…

• sweatshopking

HE DOES HAVE AN EROTIC TAIL THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

• NeelyCam

Avatars were around well before that nasty fake-3D movie. I’m sure you did some D&D way back when..?

• glynor

Come on, now… This isn’t even a thoughtful Apple-troll.

If Apple was offering punch at their event, they surely wouldn’t ask you to bring your own cup. They’d offer a special, [i<]magical[/i<] cup at the event (for the shockingly low price of $29). Any attempt to drink the punch without using the iCup could result in unintentional, but [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown<]unfortunate[/url<], side effects.