L.A. Noire coming to the PC on November 8

Rockstar’s critically acclaimed L.A. Noire was release on consoles way back in May. Come November 8, PC users will get their first taste of the detective thriller, which mixes elements of action and adventure in what is apparently a compelling—if slow-paced—narrative. The PC version is due to include all of the console DLC released thus far, plus higher levels of graphical detail than what’s offered by the Xbox and PlayStation releases. 3D Vision support is on the menu, too.

Will your PC be capable of handling the game? Probably. The system requirements aren’t too strenuous, demanding a dual-core CPU running at 2.2-2.4GHz, at least 2GB of RAM, 16GB of hard drive space, and a graphics card as powerful as a GeForce 8600 GT or Radeon HD 3000. Just meeting those requirements probably won’t let you enjoy all the extra eye candy that has been incorporated in the PC release, however.

Despite Metacritic, er, critic scores in the 89% range, the site’s nearly 900 user reviews of the game only give it an average score of 7.3-7.6 out of 10. It seems that L.A. Noire‘s unique approach to storytelling resonated more with members of the press than it did with the average gamer. I’m still curious to see what the game is like, especially since it’ll surely be a departure from the other big-name PC releases due to occupy my time this fall.

• HisDivineOrder

Where is Red Dead Redemption? Gamers don’t want LA Noire on PC. They want RDR. Get a clue, Rockstar.

• LiquidSpace

No, we don’t need this crap from crap star.
    wouldn’t mind seeing games such as Dark Souls, FF XIII 2 and UMvC 3 on PC though.

• ltcommander.data

Considering it’s a console port, I’m surprised by the 512MB VRAM minimum requirement. You’d normally expect 256MB since it had to fit on the PS3. Hopefully this means the textures have been significantly improved.

• sweatshopking

though only partially related, there is a new humble indie bundle… frozen synapse is on…

• timaeus

True, not related, but great news :D. And, as ever, the average price is ridiculously low, so getting the full package is still pretty cheap as well. When I looked last night it was still <$5 to get the extra 5 games.

• paulWTAMU

is this going to require Games for Windows Live? It can FUBAR things if one of us is trying to play on the 360 and and another wants to play on a GFWL game on steam, to the point I’ve quit buying GWFL games. If it doesn’t I’m all over this though πŸ™‚

• travbrad

[url<]http://twitter.com/#!/rockstargames[/url<] [quote<]Nope, L.A. Noire for PC will not use Games for Windows Live[/quote<] And there was much rejoicing heard 'round the world.

• paulWTAMU

Freaking sweet! Thanks πŸ˜€

• ColeLT1

Rockstar, Read Dead Redemption please!

I’m with you. I havne’t played either of these games on the console, but I’d like to get around to both. Playing on PC to get prettier graphics would make my waiting more worth it.

• ColeLT1

I have a borrowed copy of RDR for PS3, I just have not been able to bring myself to play it yet… I think its safe to say that it wont be released on pc πŸ™

LA Noire (hopefully) will be on a steam sale, and added to my library then.

• A_Pickle

I actually like the way they approached gameplay. It’s unique, and hopefully adds to the overall experience.

That said, it went to consoles first, which almost guarantees that it’ll be a half-baked, crappy PC port. It’ll feature mediocre graphics, yet it’ll require a Geforce GTX 560 to run at 40 FPS maybe. It’ll probably feature menus and options that work great for a controller, but not so great for a mouse-and-keyboard.

If this isn’t the case, I’ll be pleasantly surprised… but gaming companies haven’t pleasantly surprised me for decades now.

Decades? How old are you? Surely if you’ve been waiting “decades” to be pleased you just missed out on some really great PC games. Or would have given up on the hobby. The golden age of RTS, for example, or all the D&D RPGs from 8-10 years ago. There’s been plenty of good, high-quality releases in the last ONE decade, let alone MULTIPLE decades, that you should not spend a life so bitterly disappointed.

• ALiLPinkMonster

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he may have been referring to the lack of variety in the more recent few years. Decades could have just been a somewhat ridiculous exaggeration. Just sayin…

• A_Pickle

It was. But the last, oh, three or four years have been [i<]eminently[/i<] disappointing as far as my excitement for PC games goes. The last shooters that had any value were Borderlands and Left 4 Dead, each released within a month of eachother in October-November 2009. Since then, the same damn cookie-cutter franchise games have been peddled to PC gamers. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops, and now Modern Warfare 3 (are you f***ing serious?) are overpriced, feature-pared pieces of "new age" garbage. And quite frankly, the surge of Battlefield games to accompany them are just as painfully generic and stupid. Oh look! Soldiers fighting with real, modern day weapons... what a novel concept! No one's ever done that before! Oh wait. Actually, every gaming company releases that concept twice a year, usually under the same engine with few upgrades to graphics and even fewer ideas to upgrade gameplay. RTSes are all but dead, following a few years of shameless and constant milking of franchises. EA all but destroyed the Command and Conquer series with childish and simplistic storylines and gameplay. The only RTS worth its salt in recent years was Supreme Commander (but not Supreme Commander 2) and Sins of a Solar Empire, both of which employed unique and different takes on the RTS style and really made use of modern PC hardware in a manner other than the steady march for incrementally better graphics. The [i<]only[/i<] actually innovative trend in PC gaming recently, in my mind, is the rise of the Action RTS/Multiplayer Online Battle Arena-type games. League of Legends is free and fun, Dota 2 looks gorgeous and (hopefully) will remain true to the gameplay of Dota. Steam and it’s bundle of indie games are about the only hope I have for PC gaming these days.

• Noigel

Plus 1: “EA all but destroyed the Command and Conquer series with childish and simplistic storylines and gameplay.”

• Bensam123

Only 3-4? It’s around six years… right when the last gen of consoles came out and everything became consolized.

I honestly didn’t find Borderlands all that amazing, same with L4D. L4D was marketed as a lot more then it turned out to be. Remember the ‘director’ which was supposed to dynamically turn up things if people are doing too well? As far as I can tell all it does is randomize which special spawns at a static location on the map. Borderlands gets ultra grindy really fast and makes you want to foam at the mouth.

I agree about that though, along with the RTS’s… I would suggest playing Rise of Legends and Dawn of War (the first one). My friends and I still play it to this day, even though it’s been released so long ago. Sins is quite a bit of fun as well. If SupC didn’t run like donkey balls I’d be inclined to agree about it too.

LoL doesn’t really separate itself from the standard DotA formula, nor does HoN though… I’m sure DotA2 wont either. The new heroes in LoL are fun and everything, I play it off and on, but there is no real strategic element to the game. They never turned up the other parts of the game and tried to innovate a bit. Like being able to mess with the economy, the base assets, or the minions (which a lot of other variants of DotA on WC3/SC do). I guess they’re afraid of losing the crowd?

My expectations for video games were ruined so long ago, along with so many others apparently, that I’ve lost most hope in gaming in general. The only game I’m truly looking forward to is GuildWars 2… it looks like they actually tried and it shows from what I’ve seen. Of course it might just be another steaming pile of poo like most games that are ultra hyped up.

• kamikaziechameleon

“It seems that L.A. Noire’s unique approach to storytelling resonated more with members of the press than it did with the average gamer” – well noire story telling hasn’t been popular in decades I don’t think that contemporary gamers are familiar with it or can appreciate it. At any rate I’m happy to see something more noire than max payne hit the gaming scene and I’m deffinately gonna by this, and eventually deus ex as well.

• LiquidSpace

the only unique thing here is your stupidity

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m gonna get the game for sure, but so many games that I need to play I already own and haven’t or coming out that I need to buy now.

• NeelyCam

“gonna get the game for sure”… “games that I need to play”..

How ’bout if you instead get a job?

I find that having a backlog and a job go hand in hand. If I didn’t have a job I’d have more time to play games. πŸ˜†

• NeelyCam

I [i<]still[/i<] haven't finished Oblivion. Skyrim is just around the corner, and I'm starting to panic..

Time to quit your job, then. πŸ˜€

• sweatshopking

what? you need to step up your game tiff… how you gonna keep the gaming girl rep if you’re that far behind?

• NeelyCam

I’m still playing GTA4..

• NeelyCam

Just realized… it’s always IV. GTA IV, Elder Scrolls IV, Civilization IV, Ultima IV.

I guess I’m a foursome-kinda-gal

• sweatshopking

MAN. IF YOU WEREN’T LIKE 100, THAT MIGHT SOUND HOT. you play gtaiv? so do i, let’s get a multiplayer game going. why the hell haven’t you added me on steam? i’m sweatshopking EVERYWHERE. i wanna hit you with a car!

ssk hittin on the ladiezzz. i’ll add you on steam.

• NeelyCam

I don’t do steam.

100 how? I played Ultima IV before I knew how to walk

• sweatshopking

then do skype

• indeego

[i<]Oblivion[/i<] for me was: "OK I'm three hours in... why am I playing a game that is 'work' and not 'fun'?" Uninstalled, moved on.

• paulWTAMU

you and me both. Wife loved it though, which I never understood.

• Dashak

Morrowind > Oblivion

• travbrad

Too many games is a nice problem to have. πŸ™‚ It’ll save you a lot of money not buying every game at launch.