Catalyst 11.9 graphics drivers pop up

Radeon owners have been treated to a double whammy of driver updates this month—first with the Catalyst 11.10 preview driver for Battlefield 3, and now with the official, non-beta Catalyst 11.9 update, which is available from the usual place on AMD’s Game website.

According to the official release notes, 11.9 introduces support for AMD HD3D for DisplayPort monitors like the Samsung 750 and 950 Series. (AMD HD 3D, of course, is AMD’s stereoscopic 3D implementation.)

Other than that, you’re mostly looking at bug fixes in these new drivers. Most of the fixes are for Windows 7, too. AMD has ironed out random and intermittent hangs in games like Bad Company 2, Borderlands, and Call of Duty: Black Ops, and F1 2010. Some display corruption issues have also been buffed out, as has "negative CrossFire scaling" in a handful of titles. Oh, and AMD says it squashed a bug that caused VLC 1.1.10 to display a blank image when hardware acceleration was enabled.

Be sure to peruse the release notes for the full list of resolved issues and remaining snags.

• Geistbar

I miss the days when Catalyst drivers released at the beginning of the month, instead of the end. I know that with something as complicated as drivers, the shift towards the end of the month is (more or less) inevitable when they are released monthly. I still miss it though.

• bhassel

You could just pretend this is the October driver release and it’s 2 days early

• Geistbar

Haha, I suppose that is the most positive way to look at it. Pretend that they get the version numbers off by one and are consistently releasing drivers early.

• Parallax

Could we get some OpenGL fixes at some point? Maybe a driver that can hold a color calibration as well? I’m still using 10.11 with my 5750 since its the latest version I’ve found that can retain a monitor calibration correctly.

• HunterZ

I use Monitor Calibration Wizard to aggressively maintain my desired calibration data. The data itself was generated by CLTest and then converted by hand to MCW’s format.

Even that’s not enough to make things stick in some games.:
      – For Riddick I had to find a completely undocumented configuration option to disable its constant hardware gamma/LUT overwriting, and
      – for Dragon Age I needed to use ColorClutch to basically inject modified Direct3D code into the game that disables its gamma/LUT overwriting behavior.

I wish all games would either remove hardware-level gamma adjustment “features” or let me disable their use of them.

• Parallax

If memory serves I tried MCW before, but it couldn’t handle multiple monitors. I have my main one which is too warm uncalibrated and a secondary one which is too cool uncalibrated, so using the same profile for both is a no-go. Under windows 7 Colormunki Gamma loads the calibrations correctly on startup and after most games, but if I update past 10.11 (tried up to 11.6) the only way to correctly reload colors is to log out of the OS and back in.

• indeego

HEY EVERYBODY THESE GUYS ARE COLOR NERDS.

• Vasilyfav

Colorphiles.

• Palek

So, is there such a thing as a colorphobe, then?

• swaaye

Fans of grayscale?

• Zoomer

It’s doubly funny if you know chinese since the literal translation of pervert – 色狼 – would be something like color wolf.

• Parallax

We just enjoy using well-calibrated equipment. In a world where a video card company can spend months trying to squeeze every ounce of speed from a video card, I’d hope they could spend 5 minutes to make sure the image looks like it should on the monitor, and not throw the colors completely off* every time you start a game.

When you’re looking at a display for 8-10 hours a day it’s nice to know the colors are at least semi-accurate.

*Or, if you prefer the technical term, “crazily out-of-whack”

• Vaughn

im using the 11.8 and a 6950 unlocked and have no issues with calibrations. Monitor is a HP zr24w and used spyder 3 express.

• gbcrush

How Ironic.

I grabbed a new set of catalysts late late last night as I installed a new card in my HTPC. Turns out they were ver 11.9

Something about it broke video playback in 7MC for me, so after about an hour of fussing, I went to the AMD site, grabbed the 11.8 catalysts and was good to go! 😀

I chalked it up to a typical “These are the new drivers, let me see if the old ones work better” experience. I had no clue that they had just, just been released. 😀

• Goty

Strange, what’s your setup like? I tried the 11.9s on my HTPC that’s running a 4670 and they seemed to work fine.

• gbcrush

Core 2Duo 6420 (or something like that 2.13 Ghz), 2x2GB of ram, and I just replaced my HD 2600 with a HD 6570.

I did it in part so that I can get video/audio through the HDMI port (my 2600 only had the “special” DVI ports that wanted a dongle). Anyways, when I was playing back video in the 11.9 drivers, about 19 times out of 20, I’d hear a pop from the speakers, followed by no audio. The video would be sluggish, getting worse by the minute until it froze and then 7MC would return some error about not having the right files to play back the video or some such.

If I closed 7MC and restarted it, I’d get sound back. If I played mp3s or wmas, the audio worked just fine.

It’s entirely possible that it wasnt (just) the drivers, and that uninstalling and re-installing would have fixed the problem regardless of 11.9 or 11.8. Among other considerations is that it had been several months (maybe a good year+) since I had done a full install of Win 7 on the HTPC, during which time I’ve made a lot of changes to drivers, codecs, directshow splitters and TV capturing etc. I’ve been itching to redo stuff clean but a) having recorded TV shows we still want to watch and b) thinking about completely upgrading the whole kit soon has had me push this off a bit. why go to the trouble if I’m going to install clean again a month or two later, with new hardware? 🙂

• clone

first post, HAH!!

• gbcrush

I gave you a thumbs up, really, I did! 😀

• ew

You’re doing it wrong!

• gbcrush

What, the thumbs up thing, or the sarcasm?