PC delays hit Serious Sam, Assassin’s Creed

Apparently, no one wants to launch a new video game the week before Battlefield 3 hits. Batman: Arkham City was supposed to launch on October 18, but the PC version has been delayed to some time in November. Throwback shooter Serious Sam 3 was also supposed to hit the street on the 18th, but Rock, Paper, Shotgun is reporting that it, too, has been pushed to the following month.

Joystiq has a copy of the official press release, which pins the new launch date on November 22, two weeks after the new Battlefield and Elder Scrolls games are due to debut. Of course, the competition isn’t mentioned as a cause for the delay. Developer Croteam says it wants to spend a little more time balancing the game’s difficulty and fine-tuning the code.

Serious Sam 3 is due to come out on the PC, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. The press release only talks about a delay to the PC version, though; consoles aren’t mentioned at all. PC versions of cross-platform games certainly seem to be getting the shaft lately. Just yesterday, we learned that PC gamers will have to wait until December 2 to play Assassin’s Creed: Revelations, which console folks will get their mitts on two weeks earlier.

With the range of hardware and software configurations available on the PC, I imagine that it takes longer for PC games to be polished than it does for console releases that only have to run on locked-down platforms. We’ve also seen developers delay PC versions of their games to add additional features, such as higher-quality textures and models. Here’s a conspiracy theory for the tinfoil-hat crowd: it’s all about money. The console versions of the new Batman and Assassin’s Creed games carry $60 price tags, while the PC releases cost only $50. That’s a sizable price gap for what should be equivalent products, and it’s possible that console versions could be more profitable, on a per-unit basis, than their PC counterparts.

• Mumrik

“That’s a sizable price gap for what should be equivalent products, and it’s possible that console versions could be more profitable, on a per-unit basis, than their PC counterparts.”

Come on Geoff. We all know that’s almost entirely eaten up by the console tax MS and Sony charges publishers on every unit sold.

• Rakhmaninov3

I don’t have the time or money to buy and play multiple games these days, so I think Diablo III will probably be the next game I get. Will probably run on my almost-antique system and it looks Bad.Ass.

• just brew it!

Guess that gives me another month (give or take) to set up a Windows dual-boot system! (I’ve not been gaming these past few years, and run Linux on my desktop!)

• Meadows

Shame on you.

• LoneWolf15

You’re waiting too long. Deus Ex = already out. 😉

• Deanjo

Is it just me or are these PC games release delays becoming the norm? It’s almost like all these game companies hired the AMD Bulldozer team.

• bcronce

Duke Nukem Forever finally came out, so the BD is the new analogy.

• donkeycrock

To bad for me. My friend was flying in from out of town and i was hoping to play it with him LAN style.

• yogibbear

Here’s a conspiracy theory. MS and Sony pay the devs a kickback for delaying the PC version so they can rake in more console game copy sales…

Reality… when they get around to playtesting they realise they left 1000 bugs in the PC version and only one resolution so it takes them another 2 weeks to re-do the UI and add in the resolutions (no wonder we always end up with shit controls, no options, and rubbish s-called PC optimization “tweaks”. Whereas to get a console version patch out it needs to be tested by MS and Sony first… so they HAVE TO nail those games shipped in a playable and stable condition, whereas the PC can receive a day 1 patch to fix save game corruption and level load esque crashing issues and memory leaks.

They also know that if they delayed the console versions their metacritic score would get raped to shreds, whereas PC gamers actually understand the legitimate reasons behind delays and day 1 bug issues so we won’t be so quick to punish them so long as the set back is only a couple of weeks max.

• ImSpartacus

The $10 (more like $12ish) goes to MS and Sony.

[url<]http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-217-pach-attack/714326[/url<] Jump to 3:15. And take that hat off, you look silly!

• kamikaziechameleon

I approve of this message!

• homerdog

[quote<]Here's a conspiracy theory for the tinfoil-hat crowd: it's all about money. The console versions of the new Batman and Assassin's Creed games carry $60 price tags, while the PC releases cost only $50. That's a sizable price gap for what should be equivalent products, and it's possible that console versions could be more profitable, on a per-unit basis, than their PC counterparts.[/quote<] It's likely the other way around, since there are no licensing fees on PC. Percentage wise the publisher should get more $$ per PC copy sold than console copies.

• kroker

That’s what I wanted to say too. Also, they could ask the same price for the PC version if they wanted to, justifying that it’s more fair to pay the same price for the same game and that the PC version also looks better and costs more to support.

But I also have a conspiracy theory for the tinfoil-hat crowd: maybe they simply want to release the game on the platforms with lower rates of piracy first – consoles – which are also the platforms that are easier to test (all consoles have the same basic hardware).

In any case, I think we should expect more and more games to be released last on the PC, and sometimes never released at all.

• Forge

Lower rates of piracy? Really?

I don’t believe that’s the case at all, even if it is what the studios choose to believe. The last few years, I’ve been buying almost all of my PC game releases. My 360? There’s a reason I buy DVDR DL by the large spindle….

I’m not the only one, either.

• ImSpartacus

The $10 (more like $12ish) goes to MS and Sony.

You know, if I was going to spend my money on the PC version (as opposed to the PS3 version) of a game, I’d hope they squashed as many bugs as possible. I’m hopeful that this is good news in disguise for PC gamers.