Gearbox posts Aliens: Colonial Marines gameplay footage

At the E3 gaming expo earlier this year, Gearbox Software showed off about 10 minutes of gameplay footage from Aliens: Colonial Marines behind closed doors. Those doors have now opened, and a video of the demo has been posted on YouTube. That’s Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford you hear narrating the action.

As someone who loved the first Aliens versus Predator game, I’ve been eagerly anticipating Colonial Marines. So far, it looks pretty true to the franchise. Pitchford says Gearbox wanted to create "a true sequel to the film in videogame form." Indeed, he admits that he’s been "stealing from Aliens [his] entire career."

I’m inclined to forgive Pitchford, because Colonial Marines looks pretty good for something that isn’t due out until next spring. The action is appropriately intense, and the environments look spot-on, even if they’re mostly shrouded in darkness. Wikipedia tells me the story is being penned by a couple of Battlestar Galactica writers, which bodes well for the narrative. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• squeeb

Coop looks to be quite fun. Seems like I’m the only fan of ‘Survivor’ mode in the current AvP as the servers are always empty.

I know it’s a work-in-progress, but the gameplay, graphics and combat looks like something I was playing a decade or more ago.

Maybe it’s placeholder artwork and there’s a lot of polish, but when Randy flatly says “look at the detail” I don’t see anything of note. In fact, the whole thing looks like a generic garage/warehouse at that particular point in the video and is the very embodiment of “generic fps setting”

Also massively disappointing that it’s clearly being developed to be played on controllers. I look forward to dumbed-down interface, 10-foot fonts and a myriad of limited textures and low-poly console restrictions on my PC version of the game.

• Bensam123

Just another consolized PoS preying on nostalgia and the IP from the movies.

Oh he sounds really excited when he’s ‘freaking out’.

• odizzido

Looks like this game will suck bad. Just like the last aliens game to come out.

• BobbinThreadbare

So this is supposed to be a sequel to the movie, but it doesn’t have any characters from the movie, and they go to a location was supposed to have been destroyed by an explosion in the movie.

Also, how do the marines know what “xenos” are?

And, he kills a xenomorph right in front of him, but the acid for blood does nothing to him. I realize it would be really difficult to make a fun game out Aliens giving that people are supposed to be less powerful than the xenos, but that’s what the franchise is about, not slaughtering them by the bucket-load.

[quote<]Wikipedia tells me the story is being penned by a couple of Battlestar Galactica writers, which bodes well for the narrative.[/quote<] So I guess at the end of the game we can look forward to God did it as an explanation for everything.

• Spotpuff

His knowledge of the Aliens movie lines gives me hope. That movie was a big part of my childhood.

• VinnyC

As cool as the ‘crusher’ looks, I fail to see how this new variation fits into the story. I understand in the Alien universe there’s a lot of mystery and maybe it’s just one that hasn’t been seen yet… but I wish they could stick with what the movie had. What did a facehugger do? Find a triceratops to implant?

• l33t-g4m3r

That entire video was a giant scripted event. I don’t think any of the aliens games have ever surpassed the original AvP. That game had amazing AI and probably was one of the few videogames that was actually able to startle me from a surprise attack. This new game doesn’t have that raw visceral feel that the original had, and the ragdoll death animations aren’t that great. Where’s the superior alien agility? I don’t know exactly what it was in the first game that made it so much better, but it had a sense of urgency that kept you on your toes throughout the entire game. It wasn’t about being a movie in videogame form, but playing the actual character. I’ll probably buy this new game from nostalgia, and then be disappointed in the gameplay. They’ve probably toned down the alien ferocity for the console crowd, like always. We’ll see though.

• VinnyC

🙁 You’re probably right

• odizzido

Could you imagine playing the original AVP with an xbox controller? It would be impossible.

• Bensam123

At the time it stood above all other games and I do agree it felt quite a bit different. The original AvP felt like Natural Selection if you ever played that. The new games are almost CoDified for lack of a better way to describe it. Everything sort of converges on one basic baseline that everyone uses.

• Kharnellius

Yeah, this pretty sums up my fears for all games these days….

[url<]http://www.google.com/search?q=fps+map+design&hl=en&biw=1206&bih=683&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=V5KKTvjPDILW0QHa0YzUBA&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CAsQ_AUoAQ[/url<]

• swaaye

I’m sure your love for the quirky old AVP has nothing to do with your age at the time or that it was the first somewhat compelling Aliens or Predator game, or that almost every shooter felt innovative and thrilling back then due to rapid genre evolution. Right?

I thought AVP was OK but I didn’t get into it much. I like AVP2 somewhat more. Though honesty I don’t find any game released for these franchises to be a great success… Yes that includes Alien Trilogy and AVP for Jag.

I get the feeling that Gearbox is making a drag-the-player-by-the-nose title. It’s all the rage these days. Probably want to cash in on some of that L4D style coop bandwagon too. But really I’m not sure what else they could do. Going solo has been done many times before in this franchise so this is actually a somewhat fresh approach. It probably will kill the tension though as going solo works far better for that.

I think it at least looks visually interesting. Nice atmosphere and authenticity. We shall see.

• Bensam123

It’s not a nostalgia bias…

If you actually take time to look at video games today everything is homogenized. FPSs are all variants of CoD, there haven’t been good RTSs out for quite some time and the current ones are all DotA clones, simulator games are still the same reiterations of everything before it.

I didn’t play AVP all that much either, but when I did play it it was definitely quite a bit different then most other FPSs… Each race played completely differently. Like I said, it was a lot like Natural Selection. It isn’t just like they mirror balanced each side.

• Rza79

Teenagers will rejoice!

• PrincipalSkinner

Aliens look pretty good! But mute (and possibly legless) protagonists annoy me more and more.

• Kharnellius

Couldn’t disagree more. The number of times protagonist’s voice overs have been done right in the past can probably be counted on one hand.

If they have a voice for you character, they better get it right, or throw it out completely.

• Grigory

If I understand the game correctly, you control one of four of the marines and you can switch between them at any time. I am sure they will all have voices when they respond to communication and I am equally sure that there will be legs to behold. 🙂