Rage PC has some rough edges

After four years in development, with pre-release drivers officially supporting the game, you’d expect Rage to be relatively free of bugs and kinks. Well, sadly, that isn’t so. I ran into some vexing problems when trying to play late last night, and according to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, other users are reporting similar issues that severely impact the game’s playability. Here’s a list of reported bugs from the Steam forums:

1. Texture Streaming is bad and slow resulting in always reloading the same textures thus causing the textures popping in effect – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Ch6TX-Cbs&hd=1
  2. Missing/blinking textures…
  3. Game crashes when exiting the Arc.
  4. LoD issues(popins dispersing items)
  5. Crashing after intro video
  6. Audio stuttering and not blending properly.
  7. Occasional Artifacts appearing- http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/9…0322215294.jpg
  8. Low Frame rates with occasional fps spikes
  9. Loading saves causes videocard drivers to crash…
  10. Game Fails to start with error code #51.

I ran into several of the aforementioned problems last night on my Radeon HD 6870-powered PC. Moving the mouse rapidly caused very consistent and noticeable level-of-detail shifts, with textures appearing very blurry before becoming sharper. On top of that, the screen seemed to flash white every so often, visual artifacts flickered into view at random intervals, and screen tearing was pretty awful. Those issues persisted even after a clean installation of the AMD Rage Catalyst drivers that came out last night.

I eventually gave up and swapped in a GeForce GTX 560, which got rid of the flickering, flashing, and screen tearing. (While there’s no vsync option in the game settings, vsync appears to be supported in some form.) The texture pop-in problems remained, though.

For a $60 game from a company like id Software, launch issues like these kinda sting. John Carmack went on record recently as saying id has a closer relationship with Nvidia, which could explain why the game seems to be somewhat ill-behaved on Radeons. That’s certainly no excuse, though. Titles from less illustrious studios usually exhibit a greater level of polish at launch—and, in a number of cases, better support for PC gamers, including unfettered access to advanced graphical settings.

Update: In case you didn’t see our other update, AMD is recommending that Radeon users skip the October 3 Rage Catalyst driver because it “includes very old [OpenGL] files” that are purportedly causing some of the image corruption issues we’ve mentioned.

• Bensam123

But it can run on handhelds and it’s nothing like Borderlands! It’s new and innovative and it shows what can really be done on old technology!

• yogibbear

Looks at Portal 2 release… and hat rage… *sigh*… Valve cannot get enough credit.

• travbrad

Yep I feel more and more justified in my Valve fanboyism 😉 They may take forever to make games but at least they are polished.

iD takes forever to make games too, yet they are STILL full of bugs…

Valve and Blizzard seem to be the only devs left who release polished games consistently.

• Jigar

Ars technica review is also on the same note: Verdict Skip.

• Meadows

I’m shocked to announce this, but Duke Nukem Forever launched better.

• UltimateImperative

Got the new new drivers, disabled crossfire, very playable at 2560×1440 on a 2 GB 6950, but with some popping and glitches.

To me, it’s a bit like Assassin’s Creed, but you run & gun instead of climb & stab: you have people giving missions, some advancing the story others not, various ways to make money, and you can buy/find stuff that will make your life easier.
    I’m not sure making the protagonist a blank slate was the best decision, though: since the player doesn’t have much power to decide how the story goes, it might have been better to give the main character its own goals and motivations. Right now everything I do I seem to do just because I’m an all-around stand-up guy, your friendly neighbourhood ark-man.

• JohnC

…still not sure why Bethesda (or rather ZeniMax Media) bothered wasting their time and $$$ on purchasing id Software and Splash Damage…

• Pancake

Anyone installed it on a SSD? Do you have noticeable texture popping when you do? Video is horrendous…

• KoolAidMan

Yup, SSD here, SLI video cards from NVIDIA, same noticeable texture pop-in. It is minimized some if I play with a gamepad simply because I can’t turn fast enough to catch textures when they aren’t loaded in.

Yay

• TaBoVilla

why on earth would you play a fps on a pc with a gamepad??

• odizzido

That graphics engine is worse than a piece of $h!7, it’s a whole $h!7.

• TurtlePerson2

This is the first iD game since they were bought by Bethesda. I guess Bethesda just had to add some bugs, so that people knew that they really were the publishers.

This is just another reason to wait six months or more after a game comes out to buy it. Unless you’re buying it for the multiplayer, the game is going to be the exact same minus the bugs, and it will cost a lot less too.

• south side sammy

I sit here sometimes ( and other places ) and read things that people have to say about gaming and the hardware they use……. most of the complainers use video cards with only one gig of memory ( or less ) on them. In this day and age I can’t see buying a card with less than 2gigs. Lets face it. Since going to 2gig I have never had a problem with any game, ever. Why not rerun the game with something that can handle what you’re trying to play ? Yes, I know, somebody’s going to say “but it only being run at 1080P…….. hogwash. Even at 1600 resolution 1gig isn’t enough. Having said that, when’s the last time you saw a company release a game that hasn’t needed a patch right out of the gate. Kinda expect that……. might be the company’s way of fighting piracy ??? I have a real tough time being convinced that all developers are totally inept and can’t produce a finished product out of the gate.

• eofpi

Not everyone is running brand new hardware. Plenty of us are running video cards (and entire systems) that are 3-5 years old, when 1GB was the most you could get on a card.

That said, I also don’t buy games at launch; I wait until the Steam sales, so the major bugs are usually worked out by then.

• TurtlePerson2

This just isn’t true. If you compare a 1 GB card to a 2 GB card with the same performance, you will see zero difference in every game at 1080p.

You need to be careful about portraying information as fact, when all you have is anecdotal evidence. People will read a comment like yours and not fact check it then waste their money on something that they don’t need.

By the way, for those who don’t believe me check out this TR article on the subject. It’s a bit old, but the same principle stands. They test Crysis at 1600×1200 and see no difference between a 512 MB card and a 1 GB card.

[url<]https://techreport.com/articles.x/14230/3[/url<]

• south side sammy

not always true. what does more ram have to do with more FPS ? NOTHING! it has to do with better playability at higher settings.

• travbrad

The article he/she linked is using maximum settings already. How can you get “higher settings” than the maximum the game allows?

• TurtlePerson2

He. We’re on a site about computer parts.

• travbrad

Why are people with 2GB cards also having problems with the game then? It’s a bit laughable that a console port would require a 2GB GPU too. Xbox360 has 512MB of SYSTEM memory (and I think it started out at 256)

It’s very difficult to use more than 1GB at 1080p. You say it’s hogwash, but where are your references/data? (somehow I have a feeling they are in a place where the sun don’t shine).

[url<]http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-ram-4870,2428-5.html[/url<] Even at 2560x1600 2GB often won't make any difference. This article is a couple years old, but game requirements haven't changed much since then.

• revcrisis

Can anyone confirm if this is OpenGL? I did read awhile ago that it was going to be DirectX9 so any confirmation would be great!

• michael_d

It was mostly ATI fault as they packaged wrong OpenGL files. The new driver should be up in a few hours.

• bittermann

Knowing AMD it will be out today as in 11:59pm PST time…

• HisDivineOrder

id was so busy making sure the console versions were stellar they forgot about the PC version. I’m sure someone said, “Well, if the PC version sucks, we can just say its their config and they need to l2p. PC gamers are used to that. Then we can promise a patch in the first three months and if Call of Duty is any indication, this should satisfy them!”

Then they moved all of the QA department that had been working on the PC version to the 360 version. The PS3 version kept its team.

• tejas84

Preorder cancelled! iD are not getting my money.

• driller

Just to let you know, not everyone is having these issues. I run it on a Geforce 460gtx with no problems.

• tejas84

I run GTX 580 SLI and people at [H]ardOCP are having problems with Nvidia SLI setups as well as AMD.

id have made it clear where their priorities lie and it is not with the PC

• driller

Just letting you know that there are people who run the game fine.

• kamikaziechameleon

how many years of development does it take for lack of polish to = epic fail?

• dolemitecomputers

Ask 3D Realms that.

• odizzido

They don’t exist and never released DNF so they wouldn’t know.

• Stargazer

What does the “GPU transcoding” option do?
    (or rather, what do they use GPU transcoding for?)

• bittermann

It lets Nvidia cards run CUDA to offload some work from what I heard.

• KoolAidMan

Yes, it is there to help decompress textures

• yogibbear

What textures?

• travbrad

You see those big red smudges on the screen? iD is calling those textures. :p

• ish718

Most developers don’t care about the PC platform, they expect their crap to be pirated a million times anyways. Most of their profits will come from console gamers…

I’m assuming the texture problem is related to their Megatexture○ technology

• thesmileman

Apparently ATI is going to have another release later today and they are specifically NOT recommending for you to use the “Rage Performance Drivers” as they have an “very old OpenGL drivers” so it seems some of the fault is with ATI packaging up poor drivers. (Still ID should have coordinated this better).

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m sad to see that rage has such a poor launch with no MP portion to speak of. This means the game experience and variables are much more controlled and should allow for a pretty solid experience after the 6 plus years of development that rage has had.

• sweatshopking

Are these openGL issues? According to a anandtech report, though it’s dated, it’s directx9!
    [url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/2575[/url<] bottom of the page

• kamikaziechameleon

ha, wow.

• dashbarron

I’ve heard of Rage, but haven’t had any reason or will to get excited about it; id Software never made anything that caught my interest. Seems like another mediocre shooter to me.

Opinion.

• Kaleid

Ah another console game…

[url<]http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/9407/unled4t.jpg[/url<] It's just missing the fog. __ LOL: [url<]http://i.imgur.com/c8wzO.jpg[/url<]

• michael_d

AMD will upload new Rage driver later today as the current one has some old files.

[url<]http://twitter.com/#!/CatalystCreator[/url<]

• Mystic-G

Well at least the name matches the reactions.

• r00t61

Well, one can’t get away with publishing a game called “Butthurt,” can they?

:-).

• Ryu Connor

There was a point in time when the Quake engines were more prevalent that ATI never could get their OpenGL implementation to compete with NVIDIA’s. Even the clearly superior 9700 & 9800 cards never could catch up with the weaker GeForce FX series cards in OpenGL.

[url<]https://techreport.com/articles.x/4966/7[/url<] - The infamous dustbuster holds its own in OpenGL. OpenGL games more or less died off and so there really hasn't been - assuming my senility hasn't kicked in - any review of the condition of OpenGL drivers in years. I also don't follow the workstation field so I have no clue how awesome, poor, or simply mediocre a FireGL does vs a Quadro in OpenGL. So while this past and present situation could all be related to closer dev relations with NVIDIA. It strikes me that it's just as possible it remains a failing point of the ATI development team. Links to workstation OpenGL tests desired!

• Game_boy

[url<]http://www.3dprofessor.org/Reviews%20Folder%20Pages/Quadro%206000/Q6KP1.htm[/url<] [url<]http://www.3dprofessor.org/Reviews%20Folder%20Pages/v7900/V7900P1.htm[/url<] ATI's FirePro were behind for a long time but recent drivers in the last 1-2 years improved performance to competitive levels in workstation applications, and their pricing is usually better because Nvidia has the marketshare inertia.

• swaaye

Doom3 was pretty much perfect for FX cards. R300 had some legit hardware disadvantages with that game.

• ShadowTiger

Would you rather have the PC version launched like this on the same day as consoles, or have the console version come out first, and then a few months later a PC port that is higher quality?

Not trying to be inflammatory, just wondering if people wouldn’t complain just as much about a delay.

• I.S.T.

High quality port that at least isn’t buggy. While the game has more trouble on AMD(I’d wager it’s the usual mix of iD not working well enough with AMD and AMD’s ever present OGL problems), it’s just an unpolished port period.

Edit: Made a quick correction.

• sschaem

Isn’t the XBox pure Direct3d? and isn’t the Xbox GPU made by ATI?

• sweatshopking

correct.

• ish718

This is the first commercial OpenGL 4.2 game for the PC?

• Inkling

False dichotomy.

• ShadowTiger

Its not a dichotomy. Usually long delayed ports to PC are the same quality as launch day ones…

It is just a hypothetical question… obviously we don’t know why they decided to release in this state, or if they were even aware of these problems in advance.

• willmore

You started a question with “would you rather have” and then listed two mutually exclusive options. Possibly you use a different definition of dichotomy than the rest of us.

• Vasilyfav

False dichotomy. I’d rather it come out on the same day, but polished.

But if I absolutely had to make the choice, I’d rather have the game buggy, yes. I’m not prepared to wait 6 months or a year for them to iron out a game, I’m more likely to forget about it and never play it again.

• wierdo

well thanks for beta testing the games for us haha.

• burntham77

They are doing that with the PC version of Batman: AC, which I think is a good move.

• Bensam123

I have yet to see a console release that’s ported to the PC that looks better or functions better then the console release. The only exception to this is Crysis 2, which appears to largely be a hodge podge of some good and some worthless content (almost completely graphical though).

• A_Pickle

[quote=”ShadowTiger”<]...or have the console version come out first, and then a few months later a PC port that is higher quality?[/quote<] Ideally, I'd like neither -- because neither of the situations you described will result in a quality PC port. If the console version is made first, the PC version is going to be utter crap. It's usually not so bad that a modern, up-to-date PC won't be able to play.... but god have mercy on your soul if your graphics card is more than one generation old. Developers of console ports are either too lazy, or too rushed to give optimization any more than an afterthought. The only way I'll be satisfied is if the PC variant is made first, followed by the console versions.

• indeego

Early 80’s me says:
    [i<]"No Duh."[/i<]

• khands

Some people say the in game benchmark is reading their hardware config completely wrong, like 3Mhz CPU speeds, way too much CPU cache, and no VRAM.

• bittermann

Yeah I saw a Rage screenshot posted today with those exact issues….wtf?

• ew

I’d just like to give another shout out to all the early adopters for testing this one out. Your the best!

• kvndoom

The most amazing part is that they never learn!

Which is great, because if they ever did learn, there’d be nobody to bitch and whine to the devs so that I can play a working, patched game, a month after launch, for $10 less than they paid.

• PenGun

You are welcome. I love beating these things into shape. I have it running well now and I have a couple more things to tweak.

• Pettytheft

I’ve learned the hard way about buying PC games before the first patch. Most console games are fine on day one but it’s rare to have a PC release not riddled with random bugs or activation/DRM issues. I have got by on some games without noticing any bugs that others have had (Fallout 3 for example). Nothing pisses me off more than preordering a game, getting it installed only to find out some activation server is down, some annoying software glitch that is too much to ignore or certain features are just flat out broke.

• l33t-g4m3r

I’m waiting for a price drop, and a patch. Both should arrive fairly quick due to the negative press.

• axeman

So this is out, as in they want you to pay for it? Wow. I could see if it was just ATi, as you can blame driver issues. But if it’s less than polished on everyone’s machine, blech. Good thing I don’t care about it, it looks lame as any other iD title. iD isn’t a game developer IMHO anyhow, they’re an engine developer. The game is supposed to be a commercial for the engine, but this doesn’t look like a good one.

• Glix

Use in the Steam launch options:
    +cvaradd g_fov 20 +set com_skipIntroVideo 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +fc_maxcachememoryMB 1024 +ik_enablesmoothing 0 +image_usecompression 0 +jobs_numthreads 4 +mem_phymemblocksizem 512 +m_smooth 0 +m_rawinput 1

Taken from Steam forums.

• PenGun

You also need the cache path.

+fs_cachepath “D:\id software\rage”

Is mine as my SSD is D:. It does not work out of the box as the cach dir does not exist at

\User\Name\AppData\id software\rage.

You can add the id software\rage to that dir though.

• TO11MTM

You guys expected anything less from a Bethesda product? I learned my lesson years ago with Star Trek Legacy.

At least Rage will -hopefully- have it’s bugs fixed. STL buyers were totally screwed.

• khands

id /= Bethesda.

• kamikaziechameleon

bethesda published the game and we know how they don’t care about polish. atleast I think that is the point he was trying to make.

• swaaye

Actually I think that Bethesda has made great strides in debugging their games. If you roll back in time they get progressively worse until you reach a point during which their games barely worked at all (Xngine days).

• TO11MTM

But Zenimax (Bethesda’s owner) purchased iD… which means they are likely under the usual hammer to get games out ASAP and worry about bugs later, if at all.

Same Parent Company = Same Values, typically. But the average person can be duped far easier; this is why Cingular changed their name to AT&T… the latter name still had vagaries of market goodwill, as opposed to Cingular which was already a shade of crap.

• TurtlePerson2

Zenimax is Bethesda. The guys who started Bethesda own Zenimax.

• TO11MTM

Good Info… I didn’t know that. Thanks!

• JohnC

I have played “Fallout 3” since the release day, never had such visual glitches (though I’ve seen some screenshots of few people who did) or any game-stopping bugs or had the need to edit the plain-text config files. Of course my “Fallout: New Vegas” experience was much worse, but that game was not developed by Bethesda themselves. This is my answer to your question.

• Neutronbeam

Very disappointing. THIS is why I am going to read the reviews, and if it seems worthwhile, receive it as a gift for Christmas–giving ID a few more months to fix things. My [usual] plan of waiting a year after a game comes out to get is still valid–it’s cheaper, and a lot of bugs have been addressed by then.

• DarkUltra

– On top of that, the game has no graphical settings to speak of—just resolution, antialiasing, gamma, and an option called “GPU transcoding.”

What?! Talk about terminal consolitis! I guess the game tries to use LoD to hit 60fps adjusting to your pc cpu speed. But what about those that want 90-120fps on their 120hz lcd monitor?
    The texture popping and other issues… i’m glad i didn’t buy this game yet.

• CasbahBoy

The claim is nonsense. This is an ID game – they have never had more than a handful of graphics options adjustable from the UI. All of it is in plaintext, human-readable cfg files in the game directory.

Check C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rage\base

Edit: Did some looking through the files that are there and there aren’t a lot of rendering related options there – but I’m still confident practically everything will be adjustable from console and can be manually added to cfgs. Add “com_allowConsole 1” to default.cfg and take a look around, I won’t be able to till I’m out of work for the day.

• CasbahBoy

See post from glix. Anyone who seriously expects that sort of stuff to have its own slider in the UI is insane.

• Farting Bob

Yea because editing cfg files is the easiest way for a mainstream big budget title to edit graphical settings! This game has been in development for long enough to have a option in game to adjust all the various settings which are adjustable through editing its files. there is no reason other than Id not giving a damn about PC enthusiasts why they couldnt do it.

• bthylafh

This is fallout from their greater focus on smartphones.

I still think iD’s greatest work was with Doom and Doom 2.

• tfp

It runs better on a smartphone?

• DarkUltra

After these findings Rage is supposedly good at scaling, geometry, physics, texture and shaders all scale well. This is unusual since Doom 3 did not have a low and high setting of geometry, so it only scaled on the 3d card. Starcraft 2 for instance scales well over both cpu and gpu adjusting its settings.

In terms of gameplay maybe.

In terms of engine, I think the Q3 engine was their best – in terms of efficiency and feel. Games based on it seemed fast, stable, snappy and the input always felt right.