Epic ports Unreal Engine 3… to Flash

Unreal Engine 3 has definitely shown up in some unexpected places—most notably Apple’s iOS devices, in the form of Infinity Blade (and the upcoming Infinity Blade 2). This latest announcement takes the cake for unexpectedness, though. Turns out that Epic has gotten Unreal Engine 3 running in Flash.

Epic says it has been “working closely with Adobe on this technology for quite some time,” and it was finally ready to show its work at the Adobe MAX 2011 conference. Epic also released some screenshots and a couple of rather impressive videos, which show fluid 3D scene running inside of a Firefox browser window. Here’s Epic Citadel, the tech demo that was released on iOS a little over a year ago:

And here’s Unreal Tournament 3, also running inside Firefox:

According to the press release, the Flash port of Unreal Engine 3 was enabled by the new Flash Player 11, whose Stage 3D application programming interface purportedly “allows 1,000 times faster 2D and 3D graphics rendering performance over Flash Player 10.” Flash Player 11 came out yesterday. Epic says it’ll make Flash-enabled Unreal Engine 3 available to engine licensees, so hopefully, we’ll see some real games based on this technology soon enough—if Epic itself doesn’t already have something up its sleeve. (Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the YouTube links.)

• albundy

so whats the api? its obviously not openGL/directX, right?

• TurtlePerson2

If they had gotten UT3 running well on computers at launch, then it might have sold well. The game ran poorly on my machine at the time despite being a midrange computer.

• sweatshopking

it ran fine on most 8k nvidia cards… what gpu did you have?

• boing

Adobe Flash 11 was released yesterday.

• Farting Bob

Hipster.

• sschaem

Google already pulled in this in Chrome. But I think they had Flash11 in the beta Chrome for a while.

This would actually make for a nice cross platform/cross device benchmark…

• yogibbear

My two most hated things had sex and made THIS as their evil devil child? OMG?! The mayan calendar was right!

• Xenolith

What is Adobe doing about security?

• Farting Bob

Security? Adobe doesnt understand what you mean there, sorry.

• BlackStar

When was the last time you were infected through flash?

That’s what I thought.

• sschaem

[url<]http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/adobe-adding-security-privacy-goodies-to-flash-player-11/9443?tag=content;siu-container[/url<] Flash is an integral part of Google chrome, so you bet Flash is looked under a microscope when it come to security.

• maxxcool

really? ’cause I find it funny that malware can exploit the base engine… in their special sandbox. I also love having the damn thing need updating *every 3 days*

go back to trolling other forums mr joined oct 3rd… TR gerbils don’t take kindly to paid marketers in their forums…

• henfactor

Since when can I watch embeded videos on my 3 year old Palm Pre….??

• dpaus

Did you get the WebOS 1.4.5 update? I have watched Flash videos on my 1st-gen (overclocked) Pre, and while it [i<]does[/i<] work, it's not really suitable for anything more than a short YouTube clip. BTW, try getting the Govnah app and running it beside the YouTube clip in card view, and watch the power consumption go through the roof 🙂

• henfactor

Wow, you’re right, after 10 mins, it got rather warm… Still a cool option though, and definitely not bad for a poor mans smartphone 🙂

• dpaus

And not bad at all for a 3-year-old smartphone!

• Dieter

Flash Player 11 is out today. I’ve already upgraded to it. Check your version here:

[url<]http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/[/url<]

• bthylafh

Is it just me, or does the 64-bit IE version of Flash not actually work? Got it installed and I’ve got web pages saying that I need to install Flash.

Don’t have any other 64-bit browsers to try on Windows.

• dashbarron

I don’t think it is just you. I’ve had several instances where one site in particular refused to acknowledge I had Flash installed with my 64-bit browser. When Adobe release their next update then it finally worked.

• sschaem

“Why didn’t they use HTML5!” … Just waiting for all the Flash haters to flood this thread with the usual drivel..

Its kind of cool for linux users, since this run on OSX, Linux/ windows. I also believe this will run on iOS and Android…

Unity is also jumping on this.

Steve Jobs was right (for his pocket book) to ban Flash on iOS otherwise who would buy an iphone when you can run the exact same apps on Android ?!

And who will continue to write IOS apps when you can write them in flash and have them run on all platforms ?

• riviera74

Actually, his reasons are more than pecuniary. Flash devours CPU cycles and will swallow battery life like there is no tomorrow. Flash needs to be designed around low-power devices such as smartphones so that it might be able to survive rather than be eventually replaced by HTML5.

Of course, that would require Adobe to man up and recode the hell out of Flash. They will not.

• sschaem

A you saying that HTML5 doesn’t devour cpu cycle when it play h.264 ? but Flash does ?

This is trolling bullshit (And I know it when I see it 🙂

And no need the ‘man up’ , in flash if you want high fidelity vector graphics you have access to a high performance renderer (I believe optimized to the death by Intel) , and with Flash11 you have cross platform access to the GPU for any type of graphics you want to render.

And its not about HTML5 vs Flash, the feature set doesn’t overlap that much.
        Adobe see that too, as it seem to have embraced HTML5.
        So its possible that soon enough ‘all’ HTML5 will be authored using Adobe tools…

• Palek

[quote<]A you saying that HTML5 doesn't devour cpu cycle when it play h.264 ? but Flash does ?[/quote<] This is really not that difficult. You appear to be a smart guy based on your past comments; it would have been obvious if you had given it a moment's thought, but you seem content just bashing him, apparently because he appears to support Steve's argument against flash. Nowhere did he mention h.264 playback. Flash is a power hog because there are tons and tons of websites out there with flash ads etc. that run non-stop even when in the background. Mobile devices have browsers, people can visit said websites and have their batteries sucked dry in no time. Banning flash from portable devices was actually a fairly sensible decision, and I say this as an all-out Wintel (WinAMD?) person.

• maxxcool

Don’t tell Microsoft, Youtube or Apple that… there 100% behind html5 over buggy / slow / cpu intensive/ security flawed flash

• maxxcool

Steve jobs is right, flash is terrible with cpu resources that’s why 1080p flash will crash a lot of lower resource machines while html5 runs just fine.

That being said I can’t wait for him to die.

• Palek

[quote<]That being said I can't wait for him to die.[/quote<] Wow. Just wow. Your wish is granted. Happy now?

• maxxcool

Holy shit…. o.0 ?

ok lets try again : That being said, when i win the lotto….

• Rza79

It’s funny how these noobits that rate you down have no clue what flash can do and what HTML5 actually can’t do. HTML5 will replace nothing but HTML4.
      It will be a big showdown between Flash, JavaFX and Silverlight!
      Considering how good Adobe’s dev tools are, i give a nod to Flash.

• sschaem

DP

• dpaus

It’s a perfectly reasonable question, and has nothing to do with hating Flash. It’s just a business reality that the web is moving away from Flash and towards HTML5, so one has to question why Epic would put so many of its scarce resources into creating a port onto a platform that, if not actually dying, certainly has a less-than-bright future.

• sschaem

Judging from past threads, allot of TR posters seem to have knee jerk reaction to the word Flash, and propose HTLM5 as the alternative.

My take is that Flash11 will be the only available cross platform/ cross browser high performance Application Layer available.

HTML5 + WebGL + javascript seem to be fragmented and from what I know its even not guarantied to run.

I think big players are moving toward Flash11 because there is actually no alternatives.

• bthylafh

HTML5 is an alternative, it’s just that browser makers can’t decide on which movie formats to support.

Except for games. Don’t know if Javascript’s a good enough alternative for the games. Speed-wise, probably, but feature-wise I don’t know.

• maxxcool

• sschaem

Dont tell Google… Or Epic… or Unity…

HTML5 on youtube is still buggy, and flash is still the preferred method for valid reasons.

The only people that shun Flash, dont do it because of tech reason, but for greed.

The fact that you believe that Apple is there to protect you from Flash is sad… propaganda work on the uneducated 🙁

• maxxcool

1) android guy here … fuck apple. But that said, apple is partially right. running flash on iOS drains the battery more than not running flash. html5 while infant, uses less power on mobile devices, and is more secure.

2) buggy yes, but with M$/Apple/Yahoo/Google pushing development and forcing people off of flash it will get alot better faster than flash ever could.

3) uneducated? this coming from you is laughable.

• Jigar

The last person to delete his comments after some time, was also banned from TR “after sometime”, we never so him afterwards. 🙂

• sschaem

D.P == double post. deleted within seconds… so I have no idea how dpaus was able to comment on it so fast 🙂

• dpaus

Yeah, I drive ssk and other notorious frist-posters crazy that way. But seriously, look at the timestamps: the post I replied to went up at 9:37am, and your ‘double post’ didn’t appear until 9:45 – just after my reply to the first one.

• sschaem

This post didn’t show up when I first submitted it so I re posted, and of course thats when it showed up.
            When I marked it to be a DoublePost, the moment it refreshed your post was now under it.

You can see that my second post is dated 9:45, my edit of this post is 9:45 and your reply is also stamped at 9:45 …

Mystery solved 🙂

• dpaus

The TR server doesn’t always ‘show’ comments posted right away; you have to be patient and have faith that your post made it in there (something else that drives frist-posters crazy)