Nvidia suggests settings for higher-res Rage textures

The PC version of id Software’s Rage is making headlines lately, but perhaps not for the right reasons. Earlier today, Nvidia put up a lengthy blog post on GeForce.com to address some of the texture fidelity issues Rage PC players have complained about.

Nvidia points out the the game "dynamically adjusts detail levels at all times to try and maintain an optimum balance between performance and graphical fidelity," but goes on to say that, based on its observations, "there does appear to be an error or two with the Auto-Balancer." Namely, the company says the auto-balancer is overly conservative and uses lower texture resolutions than it should.

Until the appropriate tweaks are made, users can force the use of high-resolution textures manually. The procedure requires a decent amount of video RAM (Nvidia recommends 1.5GB), but it doesn’t take much effort—simply create a file titled "rageconfig.cfg" in Rage’s "base" directory, and fill it with following:

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly2 8192

vt_pageimagesizeuniquediffuseonly 8192

vt_pageimagesizeunique 8192

vt_pageimagesizevmtr 8192

vt_restart

vt_maxaniso 4

image_anisotropy 4

Judging by the screenshots in the blog post, the 8K setting is noticeably sharper than the "default" setting Nvidia used, which seemed to default to a megatexture size in the 5-6K range.

Of course, your mileage may vary depending on what GPU you’re using and how well the auto-balancer is working for you. It sure would be nice if the game didn’t have such kinks to begin with, though.

• kamikaziechameleon

id, oh how could you botch this launch any more???

• LiquidSpace

Would they hurry-up and release Kepler with at least 2 times the performance of the Fermi, sources within Dice have noted that BF3 requires at least 2 GTX580s or 2 6970s to play it at max settings with a 19.12 or higher resolutions.

• My Johnson

LOD issues rearing its ugly head in the texturing? No. Not like this hasn’t been discussed previously:

[url<]https://techreport.com/articles.x/21404[/url<]

• Krogoth

Too many butthurt eye-candy whores, that haven’t gotten the memo.

PC gaming no longer drives the market. Developers have no reason to waste and energy on texture data that will never get use in their intended market (consoles).

Besides, gameplay >>>>>> graphics.

• turkeysam

Word is, the PC gaming market is growing again, and will overtake the console market by 2014. Besthesda and ID would be wise to take heed of that. As it stands, based on what I’ve seen with Rage, I cannot preorder any Bethesda games due to quality concerns.

I agree, gameplay is more important than visuals, but there are other areas in which PC games have suffered; poor controls, bad net code, lack of configuration options, server browsers, DRM etc. Some recent titles are proof that other publishers are actually begining to listen. For example, Deus EX HR and BF3 both have proper mouse support, and even options to change viewing angles; things we’ve been begging for for years.

• Meadows

[quote<][i<]who don't haven't gotten the memo[/i<][/quote<] Good god, Krogoth. I swear every time I teach you something, you take two steps backwards elsewhere. Nevertheless, I will persevere.

• dashbarron

Society considers people like you heroes.

• Krogoth

[color=green]implying that you actually care.[/color]

• Bensam123

lol…

• Firestarter

If ID isn’t pioneering better graphics, it’s pretty much dead in the water. So yeah, graphics are pretty important for this release, which makes it all the more disappointing.

The animated comparison speaks volumes though: [url<]http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US/shared/images/articles/ragetexturetweak/RageComparison-Animated.gif[/url<]

• Krogoth

IDtech 5 isn’t about graphics. It is about making better tools for developers. ID has never been about art direction and graphics. Their MO has always been developing flexible and powerful engines and tools, in which they license out to more capable game developers. They want to beat Epic’s hold on the developers with UE3.

• shaq_mobile

It’s surprising on how often UE3 is used. It’s got some fantastic functionality, but I got it to crash on a regular basis when playing with cylinders and pretty much any high poly brushes. I’m probably too used to hammer (sigh, i miss worldcraft) to make a fluid transition. There are a few things that I appreciate about the emulated light rendering (at least i think its emulated when you’re viewing it in the windows with lighting), the quick transition from editor to testing and the popularity of the tool makes resources readily available. Somehow, it still seemed so backwards to me. I had an easier time adjusting to NS2 map editor (spark?). It’s too bad that game still isn’t fun.

Regardless, I’d love to play with some more map editors. I spent all of elementary, middle and high school tinkering with editors (C&C series(maps and .ini files), Warcraft/Starcraft series, attempted Doom and Duke 3d, Half Life and mods, HL2 and a multitude of other small titles that I can’t remember). I’ve always had a passion for creating, building, tweaking and listening. By the time I was able to use the skills in the workforce the gaming industry had started becoming so dominated by conglomerates that there was little place for the tinkering of old.

Was it BF3 that was claimed to be too complicated for modders hence the lack of tools?

• Arclight

Little did they know you are a true spokesman of our generation. I still remember the days when , as a child, i played with stones. The graphics were lifelike but the gameplay sucked. Then i discovered how easily rocks brake windows and the fun seemed like it would never stop (till that ass wooping my mome gave me :*(

• kamikaziechameleon

Krogoth you have about as much respect for PC gaming platform and its community as its community does for you.

• Krogoth

My problem is that most of the PC gaming community is in complete denial.

They keep insisting that their platform is superior in every aspect and treat console users as the plague.

I have been through the silver (80s) and golden ages (90s-early 2000s) of PC gaming. Consoles have taken over around 2003 and the gaming industry hasn’t looked back.

It is because gaming consoles have evolved into dedicated gaming PCs with a predictable hardware platform. It is a win-win for developers and most users who don’t have worry about making the game workable on a huge range of hardware platforms. The only thing that prevents PC gamers from making the jump is 100% KB/mouse support.

• shaq_mobile

I figured it was the closed hardware platforms, decreased pirating and controllers convenient propensity for simple (wider audience) and inviting gameplay.

• Parago06

..Dude, u have no idea what you’re talking about. Its a “Fact” PC gaming is taking over the game industry again; because they have become more common. Its been being reported like everywhere..r u blind? And not everyone bleeds for the need of eye candy over game play…it’s more like, Eye-candy > Even better game play. Saying otherwise makes u no different other then acting like grandpa back in the day walking 20 miles to school…And its something people with shitty hardware say, U know like how UGLY people only say beauty is on the inside…. “Ty Liar Liar for my book of life…”

• l33t-g4m3r

The majority of nvidia’s cards are not 1.5 GB. What are we supposed to use? Typical, support the Hi-end, screw the midrange, when more people are using midrange.

• thesmileman

So you are saying don’t help the high end people when possible even if the midrange cards can’t be helped?

Also if you read the article they tell you how to set it in the event you don’t have 1.5GB.

• l33t-g4m3r

No, I’m not saying don’t help the high end. You made that up. I’m asking where’s the midrange support. If there was settings for midrange cards, then it’s TR’s fault for not mentioning it. However, after reading the article it’s pretty obvious that there is no settings listed for midrange cards, so you are a liar.

edit: midrange cards can’t be helped? That’s a load of crap. 1GB of video ram is more than the total ram available to consoles.

• d0g_p00p

Stop bitching, those settings work fine on a 1GB card.

• thesmileman

It sells you to tweet the numbers if you have less.

• KikassAssassin

I have a GTX 570 with 1.2 GB of VRAM, and I enabled the settings from that article. Even with 4xAA and GPU transcoding enabled, it seems to be working fine. Everything definitely looks sharper, though I did have to force vsync on in the nvidia control panel because I started getting some tearing, which I didn’t have before. I haven’t checked the framerate, but while I assume it’s running below 60fps now, it seems to be running smooth enough.

• trek205

at what resolution?

and thank goodness vsync always works from the Nvidia control panel. that was one of the reasons I quit using ATI cards.

• Waco

I can’t think of a single game where forced vsync doesn’t worth with my AMD cards…

• trek205

maybe with a third party app. forcing AA from the CCC does NOT work in hardly any case. that was true for both ATI and Nvidia when Vista came out. after a few months Nvidia got vsync working from the control panel but ATI never has.

• Ryu Connor

He’s right. CCC doesn’t support forcing VSync in Windows Vista or 7. RADEON Pro, D3DOverrider, and possibly some other third party tools can fix the problem.

[url<]http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33977177[/url<] [url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/16061[/url<] [url<]http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=340277[/url<] [url<]http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1324010[/url<] And a million more different threads from Google.

• KikassAssassin

1920×1200

If it makes a difference, I have a Core i7 860, 8GB of RAM, and the game’s cache files (but not the game itself) are on an Indilinx Barefoot-based SSD. Nothing is overclocked.

Also, I just started running fraps, and I haven’t seen my framerate drop below 60 yet.

• Arclight

Your comment reminds me of nVidia’s moreonic marketing slogan ” Crank that $hit up”. Guess what, you need to turn that $hit down.

• henfactor

I have to say, Nvidia seems fairly on top of customer support for the latest release of these buggy games. Good on them.

• bcronce

I love my ATI card, but I will have to kudo to any company that actively supports their customers

• tbone8ty

yes i agree!

That’s why I’m using the latest Amd catalyst driver they released the day the game was released. 😉

Besthesda Softworks is known for releasing buggy games.

regardless I will be buying this game its just unfortunate that with PC games I automatically wait a month+ before buying because of exactly this reason.

kudos to Flying WIld Hog’s game Hard Reset they are one of the few who are doing it right!

• Arclight

I have a GTX 560 Ti and i played 30 hours of BF3 with the latest beta drivers. They crashed atleast 4 times in the first 12 hours of gameplay. Sadly i don’t agree, when it comes to drivers the work is never over.

LE: to clarify, i meant the drivers themselves crashed, the game itself crashed atleast 50 times, but for other or unknown reasons.

• HisDivineOrder

One company, let’s call them Team Green, tells you how to configure settings for the game to make it work more smoothly while having released a driver built around improving its performance the week before.

Another company, oh perhaps Team Red, releases a performance driver for one game and manages to screw that up by not testing the driver package before putting it up for download, then announcing via one guy’s (though he’s the head guy for drivers, still just one guy) twitter account that everyone should stop using said driver because it wasn’t put together with all the latest files.

The difference in handling the same game’s crappy release is… interesting. Perhaps it is true what they say… you get what you pay for.