TR gerbil fashions RAID enclosure out of Lego

We all need custom hardware occasionally. Some go to great lengths to build sophisticated testing rigs (ahem), but there’s nothing wrong with a quick-and-dirty approach to smaller projects, especially if it’s more fun. Case in point: newly minted forum gerbil quattro-x has McGyvered a sweet-looking RAID enclosure out of Lego blocks:

The contraption has twelve 3.5″ drive bays and three 80-mm fan mounts. In quattro-x’s config, it plays host to over 20TB of storage hooked up to a dual-Opteron server with 32GB of RAM. Mmm. Check out quattro-x’s forum thread for all the deets.

• pedro

Slightly OT, but all you Lego fans, go check out [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/<]The Brothers Brick[/url<]. Classic site. Props to quattro-x BTW.

• d0g_p00p

Sorry but that’s not very impressive. A bunch of loose rattling drives in a lego skeleton. Color me not impressed.

• 5150

Please allow me to be the first to down vote you…..and….thanks!

• Farting Bob

Well he’s right from a practical standpoint its not great because the drives will make a fair rattling id imagine. But from a design standpoint its great, and unlike most storage devices, this one is extendable almost infinitely. Lego bricks come cheaper than a new encolsure thats for sure.

• 5150

If that was in the same room as me, I’d put some rubber on it. However, in the thread, he mentions it is in a different room from him.

• UberGerbil

[quote<]If that was in the same room as me, I'd put some rubber on it.[/quote<] [url<]http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/brun/pubs/pubs/Kiddon11.pdf[/url<]

• Xylker

Found: a new TR meme perpetrated by UberGerbil

• Krogoth

I don’t know what is worse.

The meme itself, or somebody deciding to take the time and effort to write a research paper on it.

• Spotpuff

What happened to Legos? They used to be so simple. Now they got Star Wars Legos…

• 5150

Karl Pilkington?

• UberGerbil

Lego isn’t pluralized any more than moose is. The plural is “Lego bricks” I learned this at Legoland in Denmark when I was 11, and I’ve been correcting people for several decades since ๐Ÿ˜‰

• 5150

People love that sort of thing, like when they say “crick” instead of “creek” when referring to a small river and I correct them.

• UberGerbil

Yeah, especially among geeks, there’s an innate appeal to knowing the exactly correct answer to something, especially when it is popularly misstated or misunderstood. Of course that doesn’t make you (or me) any less of a dick for correcting them. ๐Ÿ˜‰

(FWIW, a lot of the “incorrect” vernacularisms in English can actually be traced back centuries, sometimes to very regular or correct usage in earlier forms of English or its feeder languages. The odd “do” particle in negations goes back to Celtish, for example, and saying “I learned him” to mean to teach was correct in old English, though it’ll get you branded a hick and corrected today. “Creek” apparently comes from Old Norse and was probably pronounced closer to “crick’ or perhaps “crike” when it came into Middle English. It’s weird how some of these pronunciations persist in backwater dialects for hundreds or even thousands of years)

• Geistbar

From my reading, most of the odd patterns of that nature (tooth > teeth is a great one) come from words that were in more common usage before the Norman conquest of England. With words that are pluralized the “normal” way, being in less common usage for the non-nobility, so when they were told “the plural of book is now books”, they didn’t have an issue adapting to it, as the nobility had significant influence from the French language on their language.

Very interesting seeing some of the old Celtish examples though, I had only seen various germanic ones before.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Of course that doesn't make you (or me) any less of a dick for correcting them. ;)[/quote<] Even in geek circles it does... and I'm pretty sure it's even less appreciated with regular folks

• Peldor

Like I’m gonna submit to the will of the Danish? A people so hardcore they are named after a fruity sweet pastry.

• NeelyCam

The fruity pastry was named after the hardcore people

• BobbinThreadbare

When I was a kid, in the 90s, they had a bunch of their own brands of specialized sets, and they were awesome. I remember the Space Explorers and Aquanauts clearly. However, they’ve gone more and more towards tie-ins with already popular brands and making their sets less interchangeable. It’s a sad evolution imo, but I guess it sells better.

• just brew it!

Fantastic!

And definitely beats my plastic-storage-crate Folding@home compute farm (those of you who were folding for Team TR a few years back will remember it) for elegance!

• Plazmodeus

Respect.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Submit that beast to Lego Magazine if you haven’t yet. Makes me miss my two massive storage bins full of legos.

• quattro-x

So .. hereยดs my post … thumbs up if you like it ๐Ÿ™‚

I didnt have enough parts to build a better one. I wanted lights behind the transparent blocks with the numbers on it, and the front panel should move downwards to give it a hot-plug feeling ๐Ÿ™‚

Itยดs not perfect, but for the beginning it was a lot of fun ๐Ÿ™‚

• chuckula

Beautiful minimalist design!

• dpaus

Well done!

I’m taking this as a challenge; I wonder if I could build a rack-mount enclosure out of Lego…

• kamikaziechameleon

wow!

• dpaus

Brilliant! quattro-x, please post so we can give you a thumbs-up!

EDIT: I’m mildy disappointed that he didn’t add a little Lego-man SysAdmin watching the whole thing run…

• quattro-x