webOS’s fate could be sealed today

TouchPad fire sale notwithstanding, webOS has pretty much been on life support since August 18. Will it be moved to a different hospital or booted back into the street? We’ll find out soon, according to AppleInsider. The site quotes “people familiar with the company’s plans” as saying HP will hold a meeting today that “may reveal its future plans for selling or spinning off the [webOS] group.”

AppleInsider reckons a sell-off is more likely than a spin-off, simply because webOS seems ill-equipped to fend for itself in the marketplace. As the site points out, even Microsoft is facing an uphill battle to push Windows Phone 7 amid heavy competition from Android, iOS, and other, smaller players.

Who could buy webOS? Believe it or not, VentureBeat reported last month that Amazon was in “serious negotiations” to snap up the business from HP. The story went so far as to say the e-tail giant was “closest to finalizing the deal, among a handful of contenders.” Amazon is clearly serious about getting into the tablet arena, as evidenced by the freshly announced Kindle Fire—and it’s also shown a reluctance to adopt pre-cooked software. While the Kindle Fire runs Android, it has a custom user interface and heavily emphasizes Amazon’s own software. Amazon pushing its own mobile operating system doesn’t sound like such a stretch.

• xiaomim
    • smilingcrow

I overheard people on the corner saying that my next door neighbour may change his dentist.

• Arclight

OMG, who the hell cares?

• Fighthouse

Me and my touchpad

LOL

• Arclight

So you think your touchpad has interests? Interesting.

• lilbuddhaman

Ask any apple fan if their iphone has feelings, you’ll get a straightfaced “yes of course”

• Arclight

Ok so this would be the conversation:

Me. Hey George, i see you just got another iphone, can i ask you a question?
            George. Yeah sure!
            Me. Do you think your phone has feelings?
            George: I sure do, look at it, right now it’s smiling at me…
            Me. Nope. It’s just Chuck Testa!

• PeterD

iPhones don’t have feelings.
            They have karma.

• albundy

unlike your trolling, yeah.

• axeman

Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• tviceman

If you have used webOS extensively, then you would probably care. The operating system is extremely intuitive, easy to navigate through, and would do well in the right hands.

• cmrcmk

I had a pal that owned the original Palm Pre. He loved the software. He only switched to android because the Pre was outdated hardware-wise within a month of being released and Palm didn’t move fast enough (at all?) to update it. Also, the relatively small app market was a bummer for him.

• A_Pickle

Agreed. Now, I’ll admit — the failure of webOS rests squarely on Palm’s epic move of stupidity in not having a low-level or machine-level SDK for developers to work with. I don’t even know why they gave the Pre so much graphics horsepower, because it was pretty damn clear that they had no intention of launching a low-level SDK initially. It wasn’t until Apple came out with their SDK for iOS, and Google debuted Android, did they realize their epic mistake. They started scrambling to make a proper SDK, instead of their “web code!” SDK, but it was way too late.

They had the right UI and the right hardware to pull the rug out from under the iPhone’s smug face… they just lacked the meat of it all: A platform.

Still, webOS is really, really nice. Way nicer than iOS, and [i<]wwwwaaaaaaaayyyyy[/i<] nicer than Android. If they had had a robust SDK at launch, I firmly believe that the debate today would not be iOS vs. Android -- it would be iOS vs. WebOS, and Android would be competing for third place against Windows Phone.

• flip-mode

LOL. This. At this point webOS is a distraction. The amount of highly intuitive design and marketing decisions that need to be made and then the follow-up development of the code and lock-step development of hardware and then the follow-up marketing campaign that are all needed to get the whole system back up to a critical rate of market acceptance after all of the bad or at least uncertain press that it has gotten lately is beyond my reckoning, but my guess is that it would be a minimum of two years and tens or tens of tens of millions of dollars.

• 5150

That was one helluva sentence.

• Vulk

<Quote>The amount of highly intuitive design and marketing decisions that need to be made and then the follow-up development of the code and lock-step development of hardware and then the follow-up marketing campaign that are all needed to get the whole system back up to a critical rate of market acceptance after all of the bad or at least uncertain press that it has gotten lately is beyond my reckoning, but my guess is that it would be a minimum of two years and tens or tens of tens of millions of dollars.</Quote>

Bravo. 93 words, One comma.

So that aside, I agree with what you’re saying. I just really liked my Palm Pre, and would still be using it except we moved and I’d need to hook it up to a 50′ antenna to get one bar of signal at or new place. It’s a real shame. I find myself wanting to swipe applications away on iOS, and my Android phone feels like a badly done version of Windows 95 in comparison.

It was nice when it was even just a little relevant.

• sweatshopking

I have a touchpad, and even though it’s overclocked, it still laggs… it will take forever to transition sometimes, and i often have to reboot because one page of the app launcher stops working, or messenger crashes. when it works, yes, it’s good, but it’s still pretty beta, imo anyway.

• flip-mode

It may be an unintentional personal record. Do you see anything wrong with the grammar?

• 5150

I don’t know about the grammar, but at the end I was expecting…” I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

• axeman

I’m not a grammar expert. It could have been split into smaller sentences easily, though, so it’s probably not ideal. If you get a chance, thumb through this, it’s fascinating stuff:
            [url<]http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Style-Fourth-William-Strunk/dp/020530902X[/url<] On topic, you may both be right about WebOS. I still mourn a little every time the market loses a legitimate contender. Less competition doesn't help anyone but stockholders. I still feel little sad when I read something about BeOS. I guess rooting for the underdog is a pretty popular pastime for a certain type of person, though, and it doesn't stop with computer stuff.

• Coran Fixx

Watched Storage Wars last night. They were selling a huge tar tank. It had value, but nobody wanted to deal with all the challenges with dealing with it. Finally someone bid on it and got it. The sale of WebOS should be similar.

• Vulk

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Amazon is willing to pay very good money for it. I could see them releasing the Fire 2 on WebOS without any stretch of my imagination. They’ve already de-emphasized Android to the point where regular users wouldn’t recognize it. If they can engineer Android app support, and honestly it wouldn’t take that much for someone with the ability to hire some quality engineers, they’d have the locked-down, walled off garden of their dreams, which they probably see as allowing them to go head to head with, and dominate Apple. Not that that’s a happy world, but there you go.

• dpaus

File ^this^ under ‘sad, but true’

• destroy.all.monsters

I mentioned this last time this was being discussed but HP will really have to sell at fire sale prices for anyone to care/want to buy. So far their board has shown no concept of reality so…

• axeman

thumbs up for storage wars metaphor
      I would give you +9001 if I could.