Deal of the week, early edition: Battlefield 3 for $41.99

No, that’s not a typo. I don’t know how Amazon pulled this stunt off, but they’re letting you pre-order the Limited Edition of Battlefield 3, in downloadable form, for only $41.99 right now. That’s $18 off the regular, $59.99 asking price, which is what EA currently charges on its Origin service.

The Limited Edition of the game includes a free expansion pack and some other goodies. In Amazon’s words:

Pre-order Battlefield 3 – Limited Edition and receive the Amazon exclusive Dog Tag Pack for multiplayer use as well as the Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand expansion pack for free. The expansion includes four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined in the Frostbite 2 engine, as well as Battlefield 2 weapons, vehicles, and unique rewards. The code to access the exclusive content will be emailed to you the day your order is ready for download. Limit one per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com.

That’s quite a bargain for $41.99, especially since I wouldn’t be surprised to see the non-Limited edition sell for $59.99 after the game comes out on October 25. Considering how much fun I’ve had with the BF3 beta, I think I’m gonna have to pick this one up. Update: Too bad; the offer appears to be U.S.-only.

• HisDivineOrder

EA games drop to $40 post-launch within a month, $30 within 1.5-2 months, and $20 within 3-4 months. After that, you’ll see $10-15 prices show up as sales regularly. With it releasing against Call of Duty VERY aggressively and with it being a month-ish old around holiday time, expect it to show up in an Amazon Black Friday sale like Halo Reach and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit did last year (they were $20 during one of the BF Lightning Deals).

So buy now for $40-ish or get it for a lot less not very long after. It’s funny how people don’t track these things to realize how rapidly EA knocks its prices down. EA is imo the most predictable of all the companies on their drops, save perhaps Square-Enix (who owns Eidos). EA knocks prices down like clockwork.

• travbrad

BF is one of the few games where I don’t mind buying it for full price, because I know I’ll spend hundreds of hours playing it. You can easily spend $50 in a single night at a movie/dinner/concert/etc, so $50 for hundreds of hours of entertainment is still an incredible deal compared to most things. That being said I never pre-order games. It’s not like there is scarcity for digital products.

L4D2 was the same way. I knew it would be $20-30 within a couple months, but the $50 was well worth it, considering I have now spent over 600 hours playing it (according to Steam)

I do wait for sales on the vast majority of games though, especially short single-player games without MP.

• rpsgc

List Price: $59.95
    Price: $50.99

Deal is “over”.

• LoneWolf15

With no disrespect to Cyril, If it were by anyone other than EA, I might think of it as a deal.

For it to be a deal from EA, they’d need to strip any DRM, give it to me for free, and have Heidi Klum deliver it personally.

• Bensam123

Even though that’s an awesome deal and I probably would’ve jumped on if I hadn’t played the beta, whatever made up BF2, BF3 doesn’t have it.

I loved BF2 and BC2 to a certain extent… BF3 wont be getting my money. They killed it and this is completely putting aside Origin. They killed the very core gameplay that made up the series.

• dashbarron

Hmm I see it being closer to 1942 which is what I was looking for. $20 off isn’t bad for a preorder.

• njsutorius

i played the beta as well, and felt like i was back in the good ol days on caspian border conquest mode. What did you feel changed from bf2? it seemed quite simliar to me.

the subway map sucked.. it was just like any other shoorter, and i wont be playing rush mode.

• Bensam123

Vehicle gameplay and infantry gameplay are both vastly different.

• Arclight

Won’t buy it on release nor will i preorder, but i’m very determined to buy this game, maybe 1 motnh after release. Need to make sure they fixed bugs and drivers, plus i need moar RAM. The game will be epic, i’d advise any fps fan not to miss this oportunity.

• Dashak

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 has been out for 18+ months and there’s still some pretty bad glitches. Maybe they’ll be more on top of their game with BF3, but I think you’re right about waiting to see how long that takes.

• burntham77

I have no real issues with Origin. I logged in, grabbed the beta, a few minutes later I was in the game. No problems. I don’t know what sort of issues people are having that is prompting the dislike of Origin.

My real concern is that my time spent playing BF3 was downright dull. The game wouldn’t even let me use the full resolution of my 24″ monitor. Instead it was just stuck in a 720p window. Weird. Graphic issue aside, as I said, the game play was just not interesting. Maybe I was on a bad server, or maybe that kind of game is better served with big wide-open outdoor maps instead of cramped subway station halls.

So far, not impressed.

• Bensam123

Agreed.

• travbrad

I have no problem with Origin either, except that it’s pointless. You launch it, and then everything is done through the web browser, so Origin doesn’t do anything.

I WISH Origin actually worked like Steam. That would be a big improvement over this browser launching crap.

• njsutorius

dont worry you will be fully impressed with the release. I also was disappointed with the subway map. Caspian border was glorious. True battlefield fun. I know its too late now, but to fix the “windowed” mode you actually had to uncheck a box in the settings in game and then restart the game.

edit: – about origin. Its annoying that you have to open it and then a browser opens. wish you could just go strait to battle log without origin , but i had zero technical issue with origin, and it works fine.

• Neutronbeam

Sigh. You convinced me; I’m in. Darn you Cyril!

• turkeysam

Anyone know what the cheapest deal is for UK/IRL?

• xiaomimm
    • Turiel

I was going to buy it but then I read about Origin’s EULA. I’m not the paranoid type and I get the feeling Origin’s EULA got particular attention primarily due to Steam fanboys who want to hate but regardless of where the attention came from now that I know about it, I’d feel pretty silly if I were to yield that much more of my privacy for corporate benefit, just to play a game.

If I sold you a pen and wanted to know where you use it, I’d politely ask. I wouldn’t secretly stalk you wearing an invisibility cloak. And I honestly don’t know why it’s suddenly ok when the principle is moved from real life to the Internet.

• njsutorius

what is the the EULA? it lets you track your internet site you visit?

• Turiel

By agreeing to their EULA, you give them permission to scan, use, and store everything from hardware data to software usage. Software included but not limited to the game itself, so it does give them the legal privileges to track your internet browser history (browser = software, history = usage), if they so chose. It’s hardly a fair exchange if you have to pay $41.99 and a blank check to your personal activities online for one game.

Modern supermarkets have databases that track your shopping habits (where you visit first, where you always stop by, how long you stay at a particular aisle), be smart enough to suggest individual recommendations that their database thinks you will likely buy, and even predict when you’ll be coming next, all without “information that will personally identify you”. If I were to guess what Origin is going to track, it would be everything from what other games you play to what kind of music you’re listening to. Strictly from a business standpoint, if I had a massive database that told me what kind of music my customer prefers and what kind of games are my competitors, I’d know exactly who to hire as my next music composer and exactly which games I should be most concerned about.

But my personal gripe is not about companies that do or do not take personal information or even about companies that can or cannot take personal information. It’s about the lack of choice for me as an individual to decide whether I want to sell my personal information or not (for free at that), in exchange for one game. If there is no middle-ground offered in the exchange between one game and my privacy, then I simply won’t buy the game.

• krazyredboy

What I really like about this, is the fact that, after I clicked on the order button, it told me that I would not be charged until the release date! Also, that if the price drops any further, between now and the release date, the lower price will be honored. All around Awesome!

• Forge

While I have purchased every PC Battlefield title to date, I will continue to give BF3 a pass. It’s pretty as all get out. It’s nice. It’s tied inextricably to Origin.

No thanks.

After the massive tantrum EA threw at Steam over the last year, my loyalty is made clear. Steam has never done me wrong. If EA says Steam is no deal, then for me EA titles are no deal.

• StuffMaster

I played the beta (briefly). Didn’t care for it that much. I’ve been playing Battlefield 1942 a little lately. Still haven’t found anything to replace it.

• Bauxite

Wow I want a refund from buying through origin…all I got was a few days of a beta for full price!

• DrD

If you pre-order BF3 Limited edition from any source you you get the same pack as above , tho the dog tag pack may be different.

You will still have to install origin though. It isn’t really Origin itself that is the problem , it is the EULA you have to agree to. You guys in US have to give away your right to participate in a class action and a jury in court. We don’t have the same kind of class action suit in Europe. You also have to agree to its gathering of personal data. What software you have, how you use it, browsing habits etc etc AND, EA can sell it on to whom ever they like.

In Installed it anyway for the open Beta, which I thought was good once you had ranked up a little and got some kit such as med packs and defibs. Then you can be useful to the team effort.

• glacius555

And who would’ve thought, Amazon vs Steam, forget others? 😉

• l33t-g4m3r

This is how much games should cost as a digital copy. You can’t resell them. Amazon probably has done the math, and weighed the profit loss of physical media vs digital media, and 41.99 is what they can afford to sell the game for digitally, and still make a higher profit than physically. Keep in mind that as soon as there is a monopoly on digital sales, the price will shoot right back up to $60, just like how steam already does it.

That said, it is refreshing to see a break from the ridiculous $60 releases, and I’m sure a lot of people will jump on this. I won’t, simply because I am not a fan of the series. I did pick up Deus Ex last time, and I’m hoping Rage / Skyrim will go on sale next.

I dunno, watching the preview again piqued my interest. I bet if I buy it I’ll only play a couple minutes and quit, but then again I might not. ¯\(°_o)/¯ The origin DRM also throws me off, is that who amazon is selling through? looks like it.

• EtherealN

Not having to pay for physical media saves the $4. That’s the printing and transport cost average per unit. 😉
      But of course, running servers and such also costs money, but I’ve not been able to dig up anything good on that.

• Squeazle

Almost all games these days run off servers anyways, at least to monitor DRM. Ok, mainly to monitor DRM and multiplayer stuff, you just download huge chunks of game onto your computer and you’re good to go. And a lot of “physical copies,” do the exact same thing, only you get a shiny disk throw in a pile later.

• squeeb

Amazon is ftw

• normalicy

Amazon’s been doing a number of hot game deals lately. I don’t think that I can skip this deal.

• Dashak

This is the closest I’ve come to ending my Origin boycott.

• dashbarron

Oh lord, you people are still around?

It seems utterly silly to not play a game just because you have to download a content delivery system. If I can suffer Steam I can suffer anything.

• dashbarron

For a seemingly AAA title (or from a publisher who believes they’re AAA) this is a great deal. Maybe enough to push us last hold-outs over the edge.

• brunascle

That’s 18 [i<]dollars[/i<], not percent. Even more impressive.

• yogibbear

It costs $80 AUD on Origin… Why do I get bum raped?

• sweatshopking

CAUSE YOU LIVE IN PARADISE. I’D TRADE YOU IN A HEAR BEAT

• yogibbear

Where I work in Dec-Feb it’s ~38 deg celsius, 90% humidity, typically ~5 cyclones >= Cat 4 over those 3 months…

• sweatshopking

I ADORE 35+ it’s 6 degrees Celsius. I don’t mind cyclones either. Canada is crap.

• Mourmain

YOU’RE CANADIAN?!!

• sweatshopking

yeah. that’s not much of a secret on here. I live in NS, but i’m original from vancouver island.

• NeelyCam

Yes – only canadians are allowed to use all caps.

• NeelyCam

Humidity is crap.
            Try Illinois. +40C 90%humid summers, -30C windy winters. Worst of both worlds.

• StuG

Only benefit of Florida is that our whether stays the same high temperature and crappy humidity all year round. Yayyy! -_____________________-

• Squeazle

I by Illinois you mean Wisconsin. Although I admit we have better scenery.