EA shows off 10 minutes of Syndicate gameplay

In case you haven’t heard, there’s a Syndicate reboot on the way. The new game will ditch the isometric perspective and tactical elements of the original in favor of something that, based on the ten minutes of gameplay footage released on YouTube, looks much more like a traditional first-person shooter. Executive Producer Jeff Gaiman provides narration for the video, which follows the player through an early mission in the game.

I’ve gotta say, the world and characters do bear a resemblance to what I’d expect from the Syndicate universe. The game also incorporates a “breaching” mechanic that combines the original’s Persuadertron with more traditional hacking elements. Throw in character upgrades and a bullet-time mode that allows you to “see the dataverse” through a Predatoresque overlay, and there’s a lot to like.

While I’m excited to play Syndicate, I cringed when Gaiman introduced the “first legacy weapon” in the new game. This so-called Gauss gun is capable of curving bullets around corners, but it bears absolutely no resemblance to its namesake from the original, which was a long-range rocket launcher. Noticing a trend yet?

I will be boycotting this on priciple.

It already looks like a half-assed DE:HR clone but with a nasty case of terminal consolitis, preying on the gullible nostalgics to get as much revenue as possible before it’s dismissed as a POS.

[i<]Edit: Seriously: PC FPS gaming is defined (yes, [b<]****ING DEFINED[/b<]) by the use of a mouse and keyboard. PC gamers do not take kindly to consolitis, mostly beucase we're not all twelve years old. It's nice to have to think for ourselves now and again, and I sure like being able to aim at something and derive satisfaction from doing it well.[/i<]

• webs0r

This is not a remake of Syndicate 🙁
    This is another meh FPS designed for a console.

I’ve been hoping for one for years, the difficulty of Syndicate: American Revolt, with some kind of innovative team based multiplayer thrown in (and of course, deathmatch mode as well).

Bring back Bullfrog EA… one of the most innovative game makers that you destroyed.

• Meadows

Like they’re going to bring back anything. The only profitable parts they still have are Maxis because it’s hard to screw up something so simple and ingrained, and DICE because [i<]moar of the same[/i<].

• jthh

I am getting sick of watching gameplay footage from studios and seeing the controls for xbox or ps3 on screen.

• glacius555

Hmm..

It feels awkward. Instead of releasing a demo, the industry walks us through the game, while whispering “Cool, bla bla, awesome, bla bla, puzzle”.
    I suppose it is not so bad, given that for some time we had no demos and then we had a list of games where a crew would tell us how passionate they felt about the whole experience, incidentally forgetting the game and boring us to death.

All in all, they still release crippled games (on PC) and make us pay 50-60 bucks for this, sometimes beta-quality product…

My head hurts…

NINJA EDIT:
    Wait a minute!! If they explain us about weaponry and technology in the game beforehand, wouldn’t it mean that I would be squeezing out only 4 hours of gameplay, instead of initially planned 5 hours (1 hour = 10 bucks)??!

• Deanjo

Wonder if this is going to be openGL like the Riddick games.

• south side sammy

boring, low budget rip off of F.E.A.R.

• Kaleid

Looks more advanced than open doors, press buttons and shoot a la FEAR..

• willyolio

i didn’t see any scissor kicking.

• Cyco-Dude

eh…syndicate wasn’t a fps. it was a tactical rts with you controlling one or more agents. may as well call this something else, because syndicate it is not.

• swaaye

Hey it’s a cyberpunk fps/rpg. I can always go for another one. Visually it looks in the same class as DXHR which means it’s PS360 but hey what can we expect.

• swaaye

• kamikaziechameleon

I thought it looked pretty good and I like starbreeze and I own all there games.

• Rza79

Why does console gaming need to suck?

• burntham77

It doesn’t.

• JustAnEngineer

Cases in point: Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted, etc.

• `oz

Although this looks rather decent….I’d rather see a reboot of the Marathon series.

• d0g_p00p

While I think this looks pretty damn cool and I’m a huge fan of Syndicate I totally agree a remake of Marathon using current tech would be amazing.

• revcrisis

This might actually be a pretty good game. Starbreeze Studios made Butcher Bay and The Darkness so I have some hope. It will most likely be using the Starbreeze Engine which SS uses for most of their games: [url<]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbreeze_Studios[/url<]. Not a really impressive engine but maybe they've made some improvements.

• Kaleid

Looks Deus Ex-y. Gimme gimme gimme!

• willyolio

it’s still salvageable if i can still fit an entire city’s population in one car.

• CuttinHobo

Yes! I loved Persuading the entire town and cramming them in the ultimate clown-car! And I always got a kick out of the women in skirts picking up guns.

I don’t know how many times I played the “Colorado” mission just to see my giant flock of sheep. 😀

Oh, the memories. [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=538rLOAaSOc[/url<]

• Meadows

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UySl_WUZ2B8[/url<]

• ew

Boo hiss!

• burntham77

“We did that in school!” Eddie Izzard

• FubbHead

Ehem. But that didn’t look like a Gauss Gun either……..

• Ricardo Dawkins

minigun ?

Anyway…this looks like nobody runs away when you draw your weapons.

and where is the police or the military?

• BoBzeBuilder

Sigh… are we in 2004? Graphics are DATED.

• jalex3

Sigh… are we in 2011? the year we only can about graphics.

• cegras

Its all about immersion these days. Graphics plays an inseperable part of that. How can you enjoy Deus Ex when the immersion is ruined by graphics and the people all have the same gestures, not to mention mild parkinsons?

• CB5000

hahaha… so true. The facial animations and gestures in Deus Ex human evolution bugs the hell out of me… and for me it does break that “immersion” magic

• Kaleid

Graphics hasn’t become better for years, blame the consoles for that.

• Bensam123

The game itself looks dated. I like how they call scripted combat ‘dynamic’. There is a emphasis on navigation! You have to carefully find the one grate that you can interact with in the linearly designed level to go through.

• swaaye

To me it looks like they’re trying to generally clone Deus Ex but not be Deus Ex. Besides, there are few exceptions to shooters being highly linear experiences.

• Bensam123

Yup… I was thinking the same thing, but given how much time it takes to develop a game relatively speaking I don’t think they would’ve had time to clone Deus Ex (unless you’re talking about the older games and not HR).

• swaaye

Well there are a few other games that are somewhat like Deus Ex, but yeah they are probably looking mostly at the original DX and IW considering their setting is Syndicate’s cyberpunk. I wonder if it’ll have more depth to its RPG aspects than HR…

• Cyco-Dude

deus ex can’t even be deus ex.

• l33t-g4m3r

They’ve never made a game that matched up to the first.

• colinstu

Don’t forget, Consoles.

When were they developed? 2004. When were they released? 2005 and 2006.

Yeah. :/