Tactile Cherry MX switches bring clickety-clack to Cooler Master keyboard

Cooler Master is the latest PC component maker to dive into the world of mechanical keyboards. The new QuickFire Rapid is targeted at gamers, making its use of Cherry MX blue switches somewhat unusual. The blues offer tactile feedback and an audible click, which is a departure from the linear, non-clicky black switches typically found on gaming keyboards. QuickFire keyboards with black and brown Cherry switches may also be available depending on your region. Cooler Master’s US site only lists the blues, though.

While typists might appreciate the clicky switches, they may be dismayed to learn that the QuickFire lacks a dedicated numpad. The extra digits were presumably ditched to allow for a narrower design that’s more friendly to the LAN gaming crowd.

To further appeal to gamers, the QuickFire comes with a handful of extra key caps, including a set of red directional keys for the WASD triangle. The key caps are laser-etched for durability, and the keyboard’s body has a rubberized coating that should be immune to the fingerprints and smudges that soil the glossy surface of my Das keyboard. As one might expect, Cooler Master also incorporates anti-ghosting technology, a row of multimedia shortcuts keys, and the ability to disable the Windows key.

Cooler Master’s press release says the QuickFire will sell for $80 when it becomes available next month. That sounds a reasonable price provided the build quality is up to snuff. However, I hope Cooler Master makes all versions of the keyboard available to end users; segmenting the switch type by region doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to me.

• Malphas

Lot of idiots here failing to realise the ergonomic benefits of a tenkeyless, or who want a load of gaudy bells and whistles for their money rather than a highly functional keyboard. This basically looks like a cheaper alternative to a Filco TKL, which is a good thing.

• Bensam123

G’dit Corsair, put browns on your K60!!! D:<

For the price tag, why do almost all mechanical keyboards look so pedestrian? It’s depressing seeing ~$100 price tag on keyboards like that. I mean a lot of times extra keys are useless, but I would like a numpad at the very least. Most companies are messing around with the key layouts and making them look all messed up as well. It’s like making mechanicals gave them a license to go complete ape shit and forget what they learned in the last, oh say, 30 years of making keyboards

• UberGerbil

I rather pay for functional internals than boy racer blinkenlights and Type R stickers. A keyboard is for typing (or at least in-game keypressing); if it does the job well, I don’t care how “pedestrian” it looks. And in some cases, at least, having the mouse closer to the typing keys without a (mostly redundant) keypad is a benefit. I don’t know that this would be my full-time keyboard, but there certainly have been times when I wished I could find a compact keyboard with decent key action (especially since Unicomp discontinued theirs) as a backup or to take to job sites. This might be it.

• Bensam123

For $100 you don’t think they could add some racing stripes to a well thought out keyboard?

You’re talking about a specific niche tasks as well, I’m talking about targeting a majority of consumers that would be willing to drop $100 on the keyboard… I think it’s safe to say there is a very small minority that is willing to spend a extra $100 on a keyboard solely to carry around with their laptop (which can easily get lost, destroyed, or otherwise maimed).

• just brew it!

I actually *like* the understated, plain flat black style.

• UberGerbil

I agree. I’d pay more to get it without any logos or decoration whatsoever.

• just brew it!

I would’ve paid an extra few bucks to get my Rosewill without the ultra-bright blue LEDs! Sometimes I wish cheap blue LEDs had never been invented…

(I have a piece of tape over the num/caps/scroll lock LEDs to dim them down; without the tape you can illuminate the room with them!)

• Bensam123

It’s a good thing there aren’t a bunch of other mechanical keyboards with a messed up layout in a typical black matte finish. They can totally milk the numpadless, pay more for less bling market!

• just brew it!

So get a Rosewill RK-9000. Now available with your choice of Cherry Blue/Red/Brown/Black switches.

• sheltem

Boooooo! I just ordered mine from Taiwan (although in Cherry Browns), costing me $20 more. 🙁 But I suspect they are only going to offer Cherry Blues for the immediate future. This keyboard is a rebranded Filco, so it’s build quality should be than the Das and Blackwidow.

• anotherengineer

Are you sure? It has a romovable usb cord just like the LEOPOLD keyboards, making me think it’s a leopold rebrand.

• Kraft75

Make a back-lit version and you’ve got a customer here!

• squeeb

I know right. I want my lighting!

• oldog

Agreed. No backlight, no deal.

• stdRaichu

I’ve just bought myself a lovely QPAD MK-80 with combined USB/PS2 hookups, blue backlit keys and clickety clackety MX blues. Fantastic for typing although the gaming took a little getting used to (especially for double-taps).

[url<]http://www.corporate.qpad.se/modules/news/article.php?storyid=238[/url<]

• UberGerbil

Yeah, to echo several comments here, I think many “typists” will welcome this layout more than “gamers.” While I sometimes use the numpad, having a narrower keyboard that brings the mouse closer to he typing keys is a big advantage. And back in the days when I was taking my own keyboard to jobs because the on-site ones were so lousy, I certainly would’ve appreciated a more compact design (all my model Ms were both big and heavy).

• Jambe

I like the tactile sensation of clacky switches but I don’t like (or need) my keyboard to be aurally obnoxious.

Make this with Cherry’s non-clicking switches and… well, I still wouldn’t buy it, because it has no number pad and I wouldn’t take an $80 keyboard to a LAN where it would get stolen or lost anyway.

I like the looks of it, though, and the rubbery coating intrigues me.

• Bensam123

I think you go to the wrong kind of LANs if your fellow gamers are stealing your equipment. LANs I’ve always went to involve watching out for other peoples equipment (no matter how big), as you don’t want anyone to steal yours either. It’s part of being a respectful, upstanding gamer.

• yuriylsh

Great, tenkeyless layout with Cherry blues for $80 – I’m definitely going to consider buying one when it’s available!

P.S. I almost do not game. But for typing it looks to be awesome keyboard. One thing that I don’t like about my DAS Professional is numpad which I do not use at all and which just puts my mouse further away from my hands on the keyboard. I also would love to try blues as DAS has browns.

P.P.S Tons of pictures of the keyboard (with Cherry browns) here: [url<]http://www.iqmore.idv.tw/cm-storm-quick-fire-rapid-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-review[/url<] P.P.P.S. Hmm, based on this video interview with Cooler Master, only brown switches are going to be available in US region, and MSRP is going to be $89.99 : [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_D4InC0VSk[/url<]

• Ryhadar

I’m so getting this. I have been looking high and low for an affordable, NKRO, ten-key less keyboard with Cherry MX blues and multimedia keys. The only one that comes close is the PLU ML-87, but I’d have to get that from Taiwan or something. Not that I have anything against Taiwan, but the whole buying process puts me off.

The logos on the windows key and spacebar are really the only blemish, but I’ll just replace the spacebar and windows keys with compatible keycaps.

Can’t wait.

• south side sammy

looks like another piece of hardware designed by console gamers for pc gamers. I use the number pad and the arrows for FPS;s. The arrow keys because there is a “clean” area around them making it impossible to hit the wrong key. The number pad for all the extras. Probably expensive and useless for REAL pc gamers.

I’m sorry but “REAL pc gamers” use dedicated number pads independent from their keyboards.

• donkeycrock

LOL, console gamers Or Noobs use arrow keys.

If you look at any high level gamer, they all use WSAD. The reason why is that there are more surrounding keys. with less distance to travel.

on another note.

Please make my keyboard non clicky and my mouse. This keyboard also downt have back lighting under the keys.

• Bensam123

That argument is so old. That was like the common hatred when PC gaming was big and consoles weren’t really anything special. You think just because ‘pros’ do something one way it makes any other method less feasible?

I used to use the arrow key clusters too as it made for very fast and accurate responses. It’s a very well designed layout and area so you don’t hit a wrong key on accident. It’s very easy to find your way around it. I stopped using it for fear of carpel tunnel as you have to bend your wrist weird unless you move the keyboard all around and it didn’t have enough keys in the local vicinity to play Mechwarrior 2/3.

I would say it is actually the BEST way to use a standard keyboard as long as you move your keyboard around.

• TrptJim

There’s no such thing as “Real PC Gamers”. This keyboard is great for people who feel that the number-pad is unergonomic in its location. With the keyboard centered like it should be, it sits where your mousepad is.

I have a separate numberpad that sits to the right of my mousepad. For me it’s a much better location.

• flip-mode

OK, I could seriously consider this one. Not only to I get the mechanical switches but I get to dump the keypad. Very tempting. Years back I bought an Adesso brand keyboard just to get something without a keypad and it was the worst keyboard I have ever touched by a wide, wide margin.

• Ryu Connor

An inexpensive ten key less is a welcome competitor.

That anti-ghosting statement isn’t good. Sounds like they pulled a Razer and left it as two key rollover. 🙁

• Ryhadar

Nope, N-Key rollover with PS/2, which I don’t think the Razer can do (the Razer stealth can if I remember correctly.) With USB, it’s probably 6 key rollover.

• demani

Actually, I like that layout a lot- the full size arrow keys and the nav keys all being there is great, and while I do sometimes like to map stuff to the num pad the size can be beastly when camped out at someones dining room table.