Next-gen Eee Pad Transformer launching November 9

Following up on yesterday’s teaser video, Asus Chairman Johnny Shih took to the stage at All Things D’s AsiaD event in Hong Kong and revealed more details about the next-gen Eee Pad Transformer.

For starters, Shih announced that Asus will, er, formally announce the device on November 9. I guess you could call that a pre-announcement. Shih added that the new Transformer will feature a quad-core Nvidia processor (most likely Kal-El, a.k.a. Tegra 3), a 10-inch display, and USB and min-HDMI ports. With a quoted thickness of just 8.3 mm (0.33"), it sounds like the new Transformer will be just as slim as the iPad 2—and a bit thinner than most other competing tablets. That measurement presumably applies to the tablet portion without the optional keyboard.

On the software front, Shih seemed to hint that the new Transformer will run the freshly served Ice Cream Sandwich release of Android. When asked if the software would appear on tablets "by the end of the year," the Asus Chariman simply responded, "Maybe earlier than that." Ice Cream Sandwich made its big debut on the Samsung Galaxy Nexus phone a couple of days ago.

• UberGerbil

I wonder if they addressed the keyboard issues Geoff pointed to in his review. Honestly that’s a bigger purchase barrier for me than the price. If I’m going to live with a deficient keyboard anyway, I’d probably just get the Slider instead.

• ImSpartacus

I like that it looks like the UX laptops. Those are some seriously attractive machines. I hope the design language permeates ASUS’s entire lineup.

But to be honest, I would’ve kinda liked to just see an original Transformer with upgraded internals and a $400 price tag. Progress is great, but the price is going in the wrong direction.

• UberGerbil

Agreed — on both points. I was hoping the Kindle Fire was going to put price pressure on all the other pads (at least the non-Apple ones) but of course if you think you have a product worthy of a premium you charge it — at least until the market tells you differently.

• ImSpartacus

Luckily, [url=http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/20/asus-says-eee-pad-transformer-tablet-will-get-ics-upgrade-som/<]ASUS is going to update the original Transformer to ICS[/url<] (albeit in a few millennia)! For me, ICS will be enough to last at least another tablet generation. I want to see what the Kindle Fire and Win8 tablets do to the market. If MS can get high profile developers on the ARM bandwagon, they may have a winner on their hands. At its price, the Kindle Fire will already be a winner.

• yogibbear

Icecream Sandwhiches are awesome. Typically they go and make a product called one just to make you hungry every time you discuss it…

• UberGerbil

I didn’t mind Honeycomb and Gingerbread, but they lost me with this one. Three words is just one word too many. But I assume we’ll be back to two again with J (‘Jelly Bean”?) so this is just temporary sugar madness.

Still wondering what they’re going to do for “K” though. Kandy Korn?

• mutarasector

Kandyland?

• UberGerbil

They could have the launch party at the Playboy mansion….

• bobboobles

Klondike Bar!

• UberGerbil

Nice, but a ® rather than a generic, so won’t get past the lawyers.