Release roundup: USB 3.0 drives, power supplies, and a 3D display

The pickings are a little slimmer than usual this week, but a handful of product release announcements still lined our inbox today. Here they are:

• Adata USB 3.0 goes full swing, breaks through performance limits. Behind this dramatically titled announcement headline lie three new lines of USB 3.0 thumb drives. At the high end, the N005 Pro is launching in capacities from 8 to 64GB and purportedly hits peak read and write speeds of 180 and 90MB/s, respectively. The S102 Pro family tops out at 32GB with 100MB/s peak read and 50MB/s peak write speeds. Finally, the C013 comes in just 8GB and 16GB capacities, and it’ll only do 90MB/s reads and 10MB/s writes. Adata hasn’t announced pricing just yet, at least from what I can tell.

• OCZ Technology unveils the modular ZT power supply series. It’s nice to see some new high-efficiency, modular power supplies that don’t break the bank. OCZ’s ZT series units fits in that category, with 100% modular cable management, peak efficiencies of 85% "under typical load environments" (which purportedly earned 80 Plus Bronze certification), temperature-controlled 140-mm fans, five-year warranties, and prices that start at an eminently reasonable $99.99 for the 550W model. OCZ also offers 650W and 750W ZT-series power supplies priced at $109.99 and $119.99, respectively.

• ViewSonic introduces new ultra-fast 3D LED display. This new 3D monitor is a little unusual, because it doesn’t seem to belong to the growing family of 120Hz 3D monitors tuned for active-shutter goggles. Instead, the display ships with simple polarized 3D glasses (and a set of polarized clip-ons, for us four-eyed users) and presumably relies on a different 3D technology. In any case, the monitor has a 23" 1080p panel, 2-ms response time, an LED backlight with a 20,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, SRS Premium Sound speakers, and a set of VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI 1.4a inputs. ViewSonic says it’ll set you back just $349 and work happily with Blu-ray 3D players, the PlayStation 3, and "over 500 PC-based video games in amazing 3D quality." I’m not seeing the screen on AMD’s supported hardware list for HD3D, though—at least not yet.

Those OCZ power supplies look like solid deals, especially considering the prices and five-year warranty coverage. I have a hard time understanding the point of modular ATX and CPU power cords, though, since those need to be plugged in anyway.

• Ihmemies

20,000,000:1, really. I doubt it has even 1000:1 real contrast.

• JohnC

Eh… These numbers are pretty much irrelevant since there’s no measurement standard for such thing.

• grantmeaname

You take the brightest pixel it can output, and measure the brightness in lumens. Repeat with the darkest pixel. Divide.

• JohnC

Are you talking about dynamic contrast?

• zgirl

Cyril the modular ATX and CPU cords are a boon to SFF builders or someone who doesn’t need a long cable. It allows you to get the right size for the situation. Not having to coil up extra cable in a small case is kind of nice.

• Palek

Monitor needz moar flamez!

• Bensam123

3D makes me weep for humanity at night.

• sschaem

Color and sound make me sad… We should all be reading books and using our imagination.

• lilbuddhaman

Comparing Color to the current 3d tech would be more accurately described as:
        current 3d tech = Hand pigmented cells from the early days of cinema
        future 3d tech that is not currently feasible = full color

Current 3d tech blows. Blows hard. When we make that big leap to the “good” implementation of it, then it’ll be something meaningful.

• burntham77

Samsung has two really nice 27″ LED-LCDs out, but both of them are overpriced and saddled with 3D. I can only hope that they bring out some non-3D models that are just as nice and hopefully cheaper. What a useless technology. “Oh gee, I can see slightly more depth on the trees in the background, except now I’m wearing stupid plastic glasses and oh wait, my head hurts.”

• shaq_mobile

i have a samsung rose. its pretty fancy so far. when you turn it on the lights blink in a wave at you. shiny.

• anotherengineer

I have a samsung 3D monitor (2233RZ) although I never bought it for the 3D, I bought it for the TRUE 120Hz refresh rate………mmmmmmmmmm soooo smooth, in 2D and 3D

• dpaus

I’ll pick up one of those AData drives as soon as they’re available and give y’all a report.

• bored_and_agitated

look forward to that

hope they aren’t TOOO expensive, I’d love a fast thumb drive

• NeelyCam

I hope you have an Intel system, or your results will be crippled by AMD’s sh*t implementation of USB3.

• dpaus

Your time of the month again so soon?

• Yeats

Techreport disagrees with you: [url<]https://techreport.com/articles.x/21019/8[/url<]

• MadManOriginal

Disagrees by showing 3 of the 5 Intel boards have faster USB 3 implementations? (I won’t bother sigging but I’d guess the under-performing USB 3 implementations either use an inferior controller chip or connect the chip in a stupid way which hurts its performance.)

• anotherengineer

Many AMD boards have NEC and other USB 3.0 controllers on them.

An Intel system, as far as I know does NOT have native usb 3.0 and has NEC and other usb 3.0 implementations, which would make AMD’s native usb 3.0 much faster than Intel’s native usb 2.0, would it not?

C’mon SeaBass I expect more educated trolling than that from you 😐

• MadManOriginal

Native USB 3.0 automatically makes it faster? Derp.