Battlefield 3 trailer reveals more single-player elements

In case you haven’t heard, Battlefield 3 gets released on the PC and consoles next week. Most folks are probably looking forward to digging into the game’s multiplayer component. After watching the new launch trailer, though, I think I might try the single-player campaign before joining the carnage online. Check it out:

Yeah, I got goosebumps just now, and this is the third time I’ve watched the trailer. Make that the fourth.

There’s a definite Call of Duty vibe to this latest trailer, but as long as it doesn’t infect the multiplayer, that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I’m intrigued to see what sort of scripted single-player experience can be provided within the Battlefield world, especially since the graphics look nothing short of stunning. The animations are particularly impressive, and the characters seem to have quite a lot of detail. Those visuals will probably be more difficult to fully appreciate within the context of a frantic multiplayer engagement.

• Arclight

Don’t be a hater, be a congratulater!

• d0g_p00p

The last Battlefield game I played online was 1942 and BF2. I did play BF2:BC but only the single player game. I was real sketched to buy this game because of the whole Origin thing. However after watching the various trailers I had to pick this up. Got the Amazon pre-load and now the game is teasing me with it’s icon sitting there on my desktop waiting to be double clicked once the auth servers come on line.

I am seriously thinking about taking a vacation day this coming week on Thursday just so I can start tearing into this game. I cannot wait.

• michael_d

Preloaded yesterday, I am more into single player campaign than multiplayer, especially if there is good story.

• dashbarron

If you pre-ordered you can download the game today.

• travbrad

and wait some more 😉

• Bensam123

That CoD element has infected multiplayer judging by the beta.

• kamikaziechameleon

Not all of COD is bad, I really enjoy player movement and pacing etc. The problem with COD is design! Killstreaks kinda break the game, period. Between that and spawn killing, applying real weapons and locations to a unreal tournament formula has no appeal and none of the game types feel very well developed and the game itself never seems to mesh the individual components together well. Basically I’m saying the weapon handling and movement are to archady for the more slowly paced game modes and the arcade game modes don’t play well within the confines of the armament/killstreak design.

BF3 seems to have take cues from how to make the game go at a better clip but maintain the better design and mode execution. I’m down with what I played in the beta… except the glitches.

• Bensam123

I never said it was, it’s just not BF and I don’t buy BF games to play CoD games. Just like I wouldn’t buy MoH to play CoD, let alone a ultra terrible clone.

• TrptJim

You’re asking for the game to stop trying to improve. The series started with great vehicle combat and mediocre infantry combat, but with each iteration the latter has improved steadily to where it is now.

Now you can sprint over obstacles and shoot people as easily as in Call of Duty. The gameplay has sped up to keep up with that, but the elements of the original Battlefield 1942 are still very much a part of Battlefield 3.

I recommend the ArmA series if you haven’t given it a try. To me, it has much of what made old school 1942 fun.

• Bensam123

The combat wasn’t medicore… the only reason it would seem mediocre is because a plane could fly over the top of you and drop umbrella bombs over the entire CP… god forbid, vehicles doing what they’re supposed to.

You can’t sprint over obstacles the same was as in CoD. Like I said, your center of mass stays in one spot and you end up dead if you try to hurdle them in a area under heavy fire.

I’m not asking for the game to stop improving at all. Generally, improvement for me isn’t based on how close it inches towards CoD style gameplay.

I’ve tried ArmA. It’s terrible. Matter of a fact, one of my friends bought all of us a copy when it was on sale for $3.50 a piece during a steam sale because it was such a joke.

• BobbinThreadbare

I’m not sure about that. I’ve encountered many a person in BF who would do the prone->shoot maneuver. That was obviously ridiculous.

• Bensam123

Dolphin diving was removed in a patch.

• zdw

Did you get to play the Caspian Border map? Pure classic Battlefield there.

I’m totally with you WRT Metro.

• Bensam123

Yes I did… go read the forum thread for a full brief. Caspian Border only has a wow factor because it’s a relatively big environment with 64 players, compared to games like CoD. Otherwise it’s not all that bigger then BC2 maps, only difference is it has planes.

It is not classic at all.

• kamikaziechameleon

Yeah I was actually surprised by how small Caspian border is. Its a good map for sure but I was hoping for maps that where twice that size to 4 times that size. Really don’t need a chopper or car to get around once you leave your starting base. I can’t wait to need a transport chopper and to see guys fairying people, I’m told there are larger maps, and even more free DLC maps on the way post launch.

• sweatshopking

Is english your first language? Just curious….

• Bauxite

Words that sound alike but have very different meanings can be quite funny 🙂

• shaq_mobile

I highly doubt it. Bad Company 2 gave dedicated server ability to companies. If you are looking for a game with any sort of individual control on your experience, you might want to look at indie games. Today’s trend seems to be about refining a recipe that’s been derived from gaming trends over the last few years.

It’s interesting to look at two very different play styles of Battlefield 1942 and Call of Duty becoming so similar. BF1942 had a strong sandbox feel, considerable mod freedom, large scale vehicular/infantry battles and sacrificed (quality) close quarters combat for large scale battles. CoD has more in common with counterstrike with fast paced, story telling, scripted and intense close quarters combat and very little vehicular combat. BF1942 was more about strategy and diverse skillsets while CoD was largely about tactics and intensity.

Strange to see how, in Operation Metro, they felt similar in a lot of respects. Not that it’s a bad thing, it’d be great if they can pull off a combination of both! On the flip side, it’s unfortunate that we’re beginning to see games approach cookie cutter status.

• kamikaziechameleon

Played the BF3 beta and didn’t see any of the more ridiculous actiony elements. Just because your character can actually navigate and environment doesn’t make it unreal. If you’ve ever played air soft or paintball you’ll know that you sprint, dive, and mantle over cover in a fashion much more in line with how BF3 moves than even COD does. BF3 has a new found tight weapons handling that is both more kinetic than COD and more nuanced. The Audio development in COD has really tapered off over the years with BF:BC setting the standard for 3D audio and BF3 continues that trend. BF3 has got suppression as a gameplay mechanic, case and point.

While BF3 taking cues from COD isn’t a bad thing to be honest as a long time BF fan the gun combat has always kinda sucked up until BF2 but even then was just not as tight as CS, BFBC continued the trend of being good not great. BF3 has that right feel to me, not like COD, better than COD! I know the core design has always been superior but its good to see dice getting in there and toning it up to perfection. I just hope that they can deal with the bugs!

• Bensam123

Not sure about that, I played through the beta, both maps. The guns feel like they’re out of CoD. The new valting system is a good way to get run and guns killed as your center of mass stays in one position as you rotate your legs around in front of you. The easiest way to die on Metro for instance, was simply by trying to get over the wall.

That’s why I figured out that if you jump at the right moment your feet will hit the wall edge and you’ll walk over the top. Even though you’re higher in the air, you’re less likely to get hit.

I do agree the audio in BF is better then CoD, it’s always been that way, I don’t know about positional audio though. Almost all games have that down… even consoles have the ability to reproduce positional audio over 5.1.

Suppression is cool, but completely worthless when you have a hack that can turn it off and they were all over the place in the beta.

I’m curious what you consider good weapon tweaking… if you think of CS as a baseline, that’s kind of ridiculous. Being able to run full tilt, jump off a ledge, and hit wherever you’re aiming at while falling or sniping someone with a shotgun from across the map is complete BS. Just the same as the first shot always hits exactly where you’re aiming no matter what you’re doing. The weapon mechanics in CS suck.

All of you guys seem completely stoked for BF3. So, I think any argument about a meaningful comparison between the two will have a ridiculous bias on it.

I played quite a bit of BF2… I played BC2… I’ve played CoD4, a bit of MW2, and I’ve played CS/S… I played the BF3 beta for the duration of the test, both maps, with and without friends, and I largely think of my opinions on gaming non-biased. But I’m not going to invest a copious amount of time reiterating what I already said. Visit the forums and look up the discussion on it.

• shaq_mobile

I think both of you guys had some excellent points. By more “ridiculous action elements” I can see what you mean (everything is narrated, killstreaks, explosions everywhere, bullets go through tons of surfaces, super fast paced). I do think that BF3 does feel way more geared towards close person to person combat than any of the previous (which certainly has its perks!) In any case, it’s an interesting game and I look forward to release. I’m sure it’ll be a lot of fun, even if it doesn’t play exactly like old school BF.

Personally, COD4 was way more fun than its sequels. MW2 and Black Ops were just too whacky for me. Way too much weird crap going on. Maybe I’m just getting old and I’m past my prime. I have been noticing its harder to keep up with my friends in computer games, skill wise. I used to be near the front of the pack but I have such a tough time dedicating 3-4 hours a day to it. Maybe I’ll be more interested when winter sets in. 🙂

• yogibbear

I feel like I got face fucked by that ad.

• Forge

If only there was some way to separate it from Origin. I like what I see, but I want it on Steam.

• krazyredboy

I absolutely, agree with you, on that one. I even tried my pre-order code on Steam, this morning, just to see what would happen…AND…nothing…of course. Even though I already knew it wouldn’t work…something, deep down inside me, was still holding on to just, a little bit of hope.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Good thing I’m about to take a shower… might have to throw away these boxers though.

• Duck

Looks cool, will never buy.

• CoWBoY

Might be good for pc, though we won’t be getting it for pc or console. The multi-player beta made the decision for us, though single player should be pretty enjoyable.

Some beefs:

Higher rank has an easy advantage in weapons vs. it being more even in MW2 or Black-Ops

Sniper rifle – No matter where you hit target does 75% damage. So it takes two shots with sniper to take down an opponent.

Can’t go full auto without screen flashing like crazy making aiming impossible vs. MW2 or Black-Ops.

Otherwise it is a cool looking game and fairly true to BF2. Still won’t be purchasing it though. =/

• sweatshopking

headshots with sniper are still 1 hit death.

• CoWBoY

Wish that was true for us, but it wasn’t. Before you go wasting time suggesting lag/connection, we would switch right back to Black-Ops and/or MW2 to make comparison and no issues with those games. Probably worth posting a video on YouTube prove it, but why? lol.. we won’t be buying it so what difference does it make to us?

• thermistor

In BF2, I love playing in the LAN standalone server mode either by myself or with my offspring, setting up the teams to maximum number of bots, and just playing the maps.

I totally suck, and will continue to suck playing against 100% human foes online, though I manage to get a few kills occasionally.

Will BF3 have a similar component – AKA maps for LAN fun with a few people and bots making up the balance of (relatively easy to kill) targets? If not, I’m just not that good against other humans, and may end up passing on it.

• CB5000

I feel the same way. I used to be really good back in my college days but after almost 10 years of no competitive online FPS gaming, I’m really bad at it now. Playing against bots sounds like a lot of fun too… but I’m also looking foward to the single player.

• kamikaziechameleon

There are several ways to play BF. Thankfully with the addition of more xp for supportive roles you can now make a larger difference on your team. Go online and practice being a medic!

• shaq_mobile

A good medic, as in bf2, is incredibly useful on your team. A bad medic is equally useful, on the other team. There’s nothing as satisfying as sniping a soldier that a medic keeps reviving and then killing both when you get tired or figure it out.

• Bauxite

BF3 has “tactical revives”: you now have the option to not take the revive, and you can delay accepting it for a short time.

I “opted out” quite often when I had already run out of non-pistol ammo and/or there was still a hail of bullets flying.

• Airgumby

That is what I really enjoyed BF 1942. It gave me a Skirmish option to just pick a map, set the bot limits for both sides and just play! I would love if BF3 had a similiar option… I just wish we had fucking LAN choices.

I suck online as well and just enjoyed playing around like yourself for a half an hour or so. Would love to see if they included such features!

• BobbinThreadbare

The best was setting one side to 5x as many bots and playing with 3-5 friends. One of the best co-op experiences I’ve ever had.

• CB5000

The graphics really are nothing short of amazing… The night scenes are really realistic looking. 10 years ago I remember thinking max payne had amazing graphics… I wonder how things will look in another 10 more years. I haven’t been into FPS games in a long time, but I wonder that maybe it’s time to dive back into playing FPS games again with BF3!

• kamikaziechameleon

lighting and animation steel the show.

• kamikaziechameleon

-1 because you stated the obvious??? Seriously WTF is up with the tech report trolls these days?

• yogibbear

I didn’t -1 him, but maybe it was because he misspelled steal?

• d0g_p00p

The whole up thumb/down thumb thing added to the comments is a complete waste and serves no purpose. I did however up thumb you to snatch away your -1 and get you back to zero.

• Bauxite

Steel is a metal alloy, copper is a metal thieves steal from construction projects, gold medals are rewarded to first place.

You got trolled for another reason 😉

• vargis14

agreed i was a beast in bf2,now i feel slow and old:).I dont mind BFBC2 online with friends lovr killing then and stealing there weapons that i have yet to unlock.I miss the bot days also.
      It really pisses me off i have top of the line gear with everything maxed,and some little punk with a gt430 card with everything set to low can see me way before i can see them there has to be a way of fixing that.

• yogibbear

I heard it was called megatextures….

• shaq_mobile

he totally just went there.