HP said to be testing Windows 8 on the TouchPad

HP seems eager to part with its webOS business, and the TouchPad apparently left store shelves for good after this summer’s fire sale. However, the device’s flame may not have been snuffed out quite yet. Fox anchor Clayton Morris says the company has been using the TouchPad internally as a test platform… for Windows 8:

Sources at HP tell me the hardware team has been busy doing proof of concept work testing Windows 8 Preview Edition on the fire sale devices. Internally there’s been discussion about reviving the defunct tablets or building new devices with Windows 8 in mind.

Since Windows 8 isn’t due out until next year, I don’t think there’s a terribly good chance of the TouchPad enjoying an encore in its current form. HP could, however, release a second-generation TouchPad with similar (albeit likely faster) hardware and Windows 8 pre-installed instead of webOS. Microsoft’s next operating system is designed to run on ARM devices, after all.

For HP to do that, though, the company might have to hold on to its PC business. Newly minted CEO Meg Whitman plans to announce the fate of the company’s PC division by the end of the month, according to Reuters.

• BeowulfSchaeffer

I’ve thought for a while that Microsoft must have given HP something big to ditch WebOS. This is totally in line with what I’d expect from Meg Whitman. Blah.

Doublepost. Sry…

• HisDivineOrder

Or HP recognized that WebOS had no shot of taking the market away from Android and iOS with Microsoft also bringing Windows into the fray. So despite the fact they were fragmented all to hell with different little groups saying “Do this” or “Do that,” they recognized a stinker when they saw it and finally ended the whole thing before it cost them even more scratch.

WebOS was always going to end one way: failure. That HP managed to see it only after they’d wasted billions on a failure of a launch is bad for them, but that they saw it before they kept plugging and still wound up failing is… probably for the best.

• BeowulfSchaeffer

Wow, absolutely no real content there. Do you always post opinion backed up with nothing?

• BeowulfSchaeffer
    • Fighthouse

I have no problems with WebOS, except the anemic app catalog. The device itself will not play .avi files natively (have to download a $7 app to do that), and the ereaders lack functionality. I recently put android on the device, and since then it has been MUCH more usuable day to day.
    I wonder if Windows 8 will bring yet another app service to the mix.

• crsh1976

I wonder how good/bad the Snapdragon’s GPU (Adreno 220) does with games on Win 8.

• Goty

It runs Quake at a whole 60 FPS or so at 1024×768 when the SoC is clocked to 1.5 GHz, so you can draw your own conclusions from that.

• crsh1976

Nice, but Quake is hardly a benchmark given its age. 🙂

• khands

I honestly think next gen bobcat is going to be the way to go for Windows 8 tablet stuff.

• albundy

i’ve been lovin my TP that i picked up from the fire sale! WebOS is pretty dammm smooth with everything once you overclock it. I’ve been streaming HD video through Splashtop without a hitch. but like any OS, i dont really use it, i use the apps that i install on it. i am wondering how win8 will handle directx on the TP? game visual quality could use some improvement.

• LaChupacabra

Just stop it HP. Listen, I had the original Pre and thought it was great. I also bought a touchpad (for 499) when they first came out, and thought it was pretty good. But just stop it. This flakiness about your products isn’t good for your image as a high-end corporate vendor. At least if you are going to go after the Paris Hilton style of marketing you could have the decency to release a perfume.

You could call it “Eau du we suck at marketing and don’t you think this is a super-terrific product for everybody. Like seriously.”

• dpaus

[quote<]Eau du we suck at marketing[/quote<] I plus you 1,000,000,000 for that!

• Corrado

Since the 3.0.4 update last week, still stock, its been great. Much faster and generally more reliable than it was. Feels ~ stock now as it did overclocked with a 3rd party kernel before.

• sweatshopking

IT HAS BEEN A GOOD UPDATE. i FOUND IT TO BE MUCH BETTER

• NeelyCam

If only you could resize fonts… [i<]that[/i<] would really help you get your point across.

• dpaus

You can; Thank God he hasn’t figured it out yet…

• sweatshopking

WHAT?!?!!??!!?! HOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG OMG OMG SOMEBODY TELL ME!! THIS WILL BE AWESOME! WHO WANTS TO BE THE ONE TO FILL ME IN ON THE DEETS!

EDIT i found it but IT DOESN’T WORK!!!!!!!!!

• NeelyCam

I meant you=ssk

• Pettytheft

Now that the CyanogenMod Alpha 2 is out for the touchpad I don’t see the point. Even in it’s alpha state it’s very stable. Windows 8 would be neat for kicks but it’s too little too late. HP should stay away.

• sweatshopking

you’re right that cyanogen mod is about as good as android gets, which is crap. it’s just not a really good OS. I would replace it in a heart beat. Even compared to webos, android is slow, buggy, and crappy. If webos had more apps, i’d WAY rather use it than android. No, my friend, i would be quite happy to run windows 8.

• sweatshopking

THIS WOULD BE AWESOME. THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE WOULD BE IF THIS WAS TRUE, AND I WAS INSTALLING IT ON MY TOUCHPAD.

• Forge

PLEASE TELL US MORE. IT’S HARD TO READ THE LITTLE LETTERS, AND YOUR CAPS ARE REFRESHING.

• indeego

what if i have caps lock on but hold down the shift key? is that annoying< to anyone? let me be clear< i am not cheating here>

• MadManOriginal

i DON’T UNDERSTAND. pLEASE EXAPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN/

• yogibbear

5 = X + y

IF X + 3 then

y + 8

• sweatshopking

I WOULD LOVE TO TELL YOU MOAR! MY TOUCHPAD IS CURRENTLY RUNNING CYANOGENMOD, AND WEBOS. I’D REALLY LIKE TO PUT WINDOWS 8 ON IT, BECAUSE I THINK IT WOULD BE BETTER. I LIKED THE PRETTY OF WINDOWS 8. DID YOU TRY IT?

• SomeOtherGeek

What? I can’t hear you. I’m deaf!

• Xenolith

International caps lock day was 3 days ago.