New Samsung SSDs hit Newegg, bring Batman sidekick

Remember that PM830 solid-state drive Samsung introduced in August? We’re still waiting for our sample of the successor to the 470 Series SSD, and we may just have to go out and buy one to test. Now we can, because 64 and 128GB flavors have arrived at Newegg.

The 64GB member of the PM830 family, which now appears to be branded the 830 series, is listed at $130, while its 128GB sibling rings in at $230. Those prices are a little higher than the going rate for the competition. Crucial’s m4, for example, costs $110 for 64GB and $200 for 128GB. OCZ has the lowest prices for SandForce drives, with the Agility 3 available for $107 for 60GB and only $155 for 120GB. Faster synchronous SandForce configs exemplified by the Vertex 3 ring in at $125 and $200 in their 60 and 120GB flavors.

That said, Samsung is packing a little something extra with 830 series variants 128GB or larger: a free copy of Batman: Arkham City. Yep, game bundles have come to SSDs. The free download will become available when the PC version of Arkham City hits on November 15. Samsung says the deal is good until the end of the year—or while the undisclosed number of promotional copies lasts.

• LoneWolf15

This is a better deal than getting Ghost 15 (full version) with the Samsung 470 SSDs.

I got a 64GB one for someone (considering the software to be a bonus, and found that Symantec has reduced that software package to a turd by eliminating cloning (it’s now just backup software).

I have other solutions of course, but it’s sad to see what happened to that program. Can’t even use it to clone your old drive to the new SSD.

Right now, Intel, Crucial (specifically the m4), and Samsung are my go-to producers of SSDs. And I have a no-Sandforce rule, although I hope LSI Logic fixes any teething troubles with those controllers, in which case that would change.

• tbone8ty

have seen the prices lately for regular hardrives? yikes! making ssd’s look slightly better

• Bensam123

Ordered a 120GB Agility 3 for my laptop yesterday. It fell into the 1:1 ratio that I find worth paying for and it has a supposed BSoD firmware fix. I’m guessing OCZ is cutting its prices so steeply to get more units on the street and more good reviews to cover up the bad firmware in the initial release.

• DancinJack

30 bucks = reliability (read not OCZ) + Batman:AC

Sweet deal

• adisor19

You forgot the lower performance part.

Adi

• cegras

Considering SSD’s are mostly for their response times, I’d rather have a slower one than OCZ. I bought a vertex just about a year ago and a few weeks back my Windows installation hard locked without warning. Two fresh installs did not work (install was corrupted right off the bat), then it started to work just fine. I feel like I’m sitting on a ticking bomb.

• Bensam123

200MB/s is nothing to sneeze about.

Update your firmware, read the news release last week about the new firmware fixing the BSoD issues. Look at newegg reviews ~two weeks which are 98% 5 eggs.

• cegras

I think you’re confusing sandforce with indilinx.

• Bensam123

Yeah. Looking at the link, I was under the impression the Crucial was a 334~mb/s model.

Reliablity fix is still valid though, OCZ released firmware last week and the difference is no longer 30 bucks. I bought a 120 OCZ agility for 125 with MIR… 75 dollar difference. You can still get it with the MIR, which is good till the 27th I believe.

• cegras

I don’t think it’s a bug with the firmware so much as it is just regular performance degradation. I was expecting a lot more lifetime but perhaps this is the limit of 1st gen indilinx. Also, I don’t know if flashing new firmware will change anything, and I really don’t want to run through the entire windows 7 install and update again.

• wierdo

hmm… works but slower vs lose my data faster, decisions decisions.

• Geistbar

I would hope that for most people that reliability would trump performance when dealing with data. If your graphics card dies, well, that sucks, but you can RMA / return / cry because it’s out of warranty and buy a new one, and with recent trends, rely on integrated graphics while you wait for that to fix itself. If your hard drive or SSD die (or possibly worse: slowly corrupt your data), then your data is lost.

SSDs that aren’t from OCZ seem to perform more than admirably enough, especially when compared to a hard drive, while having a much better history for reliability and openness with issues. Whenever I can build my next computer (probably still a ways off though, sadly), I would like it to have an SSD, but I won’t buy one that I’m not confident of the reliability in, even if it costs more of performs worse than its less reliable rivals.

• Bensam123

The stereotypes of SSD makers are changing as fast as the SSDs themselves… OCZ has new firmware out, check out the reviews in the last two weeks on Newegg.

• Geistbar

Considering their history of imperfect fixes, and that at least some people reported issues far out (Cegras’ anecdote was a year after purchase), I’m not going to assume everything is fixed just yet. Taking into account the likely timetable for my next computer though, if it is fixed (now or later) they should have enough time for me to be convinced of that. All the same, the history of errors is very troublesome to me.

• Bensam123

I’m not saying you should run out and buy one, merely take into consideration that the latest firmware ‘supposedly’ fixed the BSoD problem every one has been having… Given that came out last week, it’ll be a bit till there are enough data points to make any sort of reliable prediction.

• tay

crucial m4 128 is on sale for $180 for todays shell shocker. No need to buy the Samsung even if you want the game.

Edit: Not shell shocker but “Guerilla deal” with promo code. stupid newegg 😉

• DancinJack

I don’t see where it lists the m4 as the shell shocker…

• tay

sorry it was a guerilla deal With Promo Code: EMCYTZT859

• TechNut

D’oh! Don’t tell me that!!

I just picked at a m4 128GB from NCIX on sale for $199CDN…. Though, knowing Newegg, $180US would be $209CDN….

• Shambles

Looks like the promo code doesn’t even work at newegg.ca. Lame.