Deal of the week: Solid-state drives, memory, and games

Now’s not a great time to buy a mechanical hard drive, due to the unfortunate flooding in Thailand. Prices for memory and solid-state drives are still as low as ever, though.

For instance, Corsair’s 120GB Force Series GT solid-state drive is available for $204.99 before a $30 mail-in rebate at Amazon right now. This is a 6Gbps SATA drive with peak rated transfer speeds of 555MB/s for reads and 515MB/s for writes, so it’s no slouch. The Force Series GT uses SandForce’s SF-2200 controller. Just like OCZ, Corsair has released a firwmare fix for the stability issues some users have encountered with that controller.

On the system memory side of things, Newegg is selling an 8GB kit of Kingston DDR3-1333 laptop memory for a scant $42.99. The SO-DIMM kit is listed for $48.99, but you can slice off $6 by entering the promo code "EMCJKHC27" (without the quotes) on the checkout page.

Last, but not least, we see a number of downloadable PC games are still on sale at Amazon—including Battlefield 3, which is selling for $50.99, 9 bucks cheaper than on EA’s Origin service. Amazon also has Deus Ex: Human Revolution for $39.99, Dead Island for $29.99, and BioShock 2 for $5.99.

• mcnabney

I generally ignore the ‘low prices’ on SSDs. Having a 450GB Steam folder effectively moves SSD pricing from luxury to stupidity.

• LoneWolf15

Best to have a `Raptor or move your Steam folder to another drive.

I have a Velociraptor 600 as my desktop’s boot drive, doing the job quite nicely.

• Rectal Prolapse

I hear you!

I am actually thinking of moving my Steam folder to my file server on an iSCSI share (using ZFS as backend) over my 10 gbe network with a small SSD as fast read cache (L2ARC). Sure I could’ve used Intel RST but I think my OpenIndiana file server could do a better job – albeit with higher latency.

• LoneWolf15

Still not super comfortable with Sandforce chips. I’ll wait awhile on them.

I just got the Crucial m4 128GB I bought (from the Deals of the week a few weeks ago) installed in the SO’s ThinkPad T61. Man, it’s nice.

• Jambe

Bioshock 2 is $5 at Steam until Nov 1. So is the original.

There’s a huge Halloween Sale going on with many more games slashed. Check it out.

• JoJoBoy

Not sure why you have stopped listing Steam deals but BioShock 2 is available for only $4.99 this weekend.

• UberGerbil

That’s a decent deal on the 120GB Force; alas, the even better deal Newegg was offering just a day or so ago — $139 (adding the MIR takes it down to $109) — is [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233206&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL102711&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL102711-_-EMC-102711-Index-_-SSD-_-20233206-L0B<]sold out[/url<]. Does make me wonder if we're seeing stock-clearing in anticipation of something.

• bobboobles

Probably — since I bought the 120GB Force GT the other day when it was the shell shocker for $185 before $30 rebate.

• MadManOriginal

I think it’s post hoc stock clearing after the poostorm of internet rage surrounding SF-2000 series controllers, which probably only affected a small-ish percentage of total buyers. The funny thing is that the great prices occured just after the firmware fix which finally squashed the issue. If I didn’t already have an SSD I’d have jumped on one of those deals, I got a great deal (at the time) for mine and prices on the drive I have are finally about what I paid some 6 months ago.

• ew

Can someone explain why registered ECC 8GB modules are so much cheaper then unbuffered ones? Is there just no demand for unbuffered 8GB modules?

• Hsew

Umm… I think it’s the other way around. There would have to be no demand on the registered modules. If they were cheaper.

• ew

I was thinking along the lines of demand being so low that they can’t be manufactured efficiently.