Adobe to discontinue mobile Flash Player

Apple got no shortage of criticism for not allowing Flash in the iOS version of Safari, but its stubbornness has paid off. On Adobe’s developer blog this morning, the software firm announced that it’s calling it quits and plans to retire Flash Player for mobile devices. Or, in the company’s words, “We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations (chipset, browser, OS version, etc.) following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11.1 for Android and BlackBerry PlayBook.”

Whoa. Why the drastic change of heart? Adobe justifies the move by pointing out that the industry is heading toward HTML5—words once uttered by Steve Jobs to justify his shunning of the technology. Flash on mobile devices will live on, but only in the form of native, packaged apps put together using Adobe’s AIR runtime. Meanwhile, Adobe intends to increase its investment in HTML5 and collaborate on “HTML5 innovation” with companies like Google, Apple, Microsoft, and RIM.

Adobe doesn’t plan to discontinue Flash Player on the PC and says it hopes to “innovate with Flash where it can have most impact for the industry, including advanced gaming and premium video.” In the next paragraph of the blog post, however, the company talks about shaping future versions of the software “for a smooth transition to HTML5 as the standards evolve.” Adobe goes on to note, “We will continue to leverage our experience with Flash to accelerate our work with the W3C and WebKit to bring similar capabilities to HTML5 as quickly as possible, just as we have done with CSS Shaders.”

I won’t be sad to see Flash Player gone from handhelds. In-browser Flash on those devices often makes for a lousy experience, with choppy video playback and generally poor performance. Today’s move clearly has to do with more than handhelds, though. Adobe seems to be betting on HTML5 big time, which could spell the end of Flash as we know it today. If that means a more lively and more open web, perhaps it’s for the better.

• Bensam123

Best idea ever. Adobe definitely did the right thing on this one. Apple basically set it’s ‘own pace’ by doing what everyone else isn’t doing and then making it seem cool. You can’t fight something like that when people start liking it.

Not only do they defuse Apple by doing this (and their clones), they save money, and they can look good in the process. It’s like a triple win.

• gamoniac

Adobe is not discontinuing Flash for mobile because Steve Jobs was right. Besides HTML5 and the fact that the big mobile player Apple does not allow them to run on their iOS, I can only imagine the skyrocketing cost of upkeeping Flash Player for all the different browser, OS, and chipset (with hardware accelaration, they now have to worry about chipset). I have the first Galaxy S Android; I can say there are a lot of apps that do not support my phone now, and it is barely a year and 3 months old. IMO, Android’s biggest problem is the diversitry of hardware platforms and the OS versions that developers have to support. It is very resource intensive to support backward compatibility. This alone might lead to its demise. For one, my next phone will probably not be an Android because I don’t get the updates and support I expect.

• sweatshopking

check out wp7. It doesn’t have the issues you’re raising.

• Corrado

Isn’t that what the point of flash WAS? To deliver rich content to MULTIPLE platforms without having to recode for the content developers? Thats like saying Sun is discontinuing Java because its too hard to maintain so many different platforms and CPU architectures…

• maxxcool

pain to port yes.
      appz not running on phones??? wth? wife has the galaxy s and has no problems running the same appz i do… an i run alot of weird hacking appz, some not even in english on a english phone

• odizzido

hopefully the next thing that comes around won’t be so horrible that I need to install block software for it.

• ShadowTiger

I never liked flash much anyways. It was a plug-in that you had to install, it was insecure for many years, it was very slow until they put in GPU acceleration, and I am sure it kills the battery life of mobile devices.

I always believed they needed a ground up re-write and hopefully a transition to HTML 5 will give them a chance to do that. Ideally you will be able to use all of the existing flash stuff and port it over using an adobe application or plug-in.

• sschaem

Dunno, I went to this page [url<]http://www.apple.com/html5/showcase/typography/[/url<] and just moving a 6 letter work around my screen using HTML5 max out my 3.2ghz processor, doesn't even render at refresh rate and its not even multithreaded. (Thats using the latest chrome.) But this run in under 5% [url<]http://www.nissan-stagejuk3d.com/[/url<] using chrome at any size. From this you could say that HTML5 should be rewritten because the performance is absolutely terrible. edit: I replaced "hello" with "This is a test of a longer string" and the demo started to crawl. Not impressive for an HTML5 showcase demo.

• Joe Miller

This is correct. HTML5 is big hype now, and when you try really using it…

• LoneWolf15

“Adobe seems to be betting on HTML5 big time, which could spell the end of Flash as we know it today.”

And there was MUCH rejoicing –or hopefully will be.

Patching Flash in the enterprise is a hot mess which must be done much like voting in Chicago –do it early, do it often.

• shank15217

The 64-bit flash client finally killed Flash Player.. good riddance, maybe now I can finally start using 64-bit browsers

• PenGun

I guess it’s OK but flash runs fine on my phone.

• Deanjo

I believe that Steve just fulfilled the requirements for canonization. ;D

• nstuff

I think i heard it on mad money where they made a good point… Adobe already sells software to help you make webpages, so for them to embrace HTML5 (when the crowd is going in that direction already) makes sense. They just need to get people to continue to buy software like dreamweaver (among their other apps) to create html5 sites for both desktop and mobile browsers.

oh wait, it looks like they already are:
    [url<]http://www.adobe.com/solutions/html5.html[/url<]

• maxxcool

Flash got eaten by zombies because it did not follow rule #1.

• l33t-g4m3r

We don’t talk about flash club?

• Scrotos

[url<]http://www.zombielandrules.com/all-zombieland-rules/[/url<] Because it was bloated and fat.

• Yeats

Maybe it should play dodgeball.

• squeeb

haha..

• danny e.

Flash had potential. The problem was Flash made it too easy for idiots to abuse.
    100% CPU utilization from a simple banner ad, and you know something is wrong.

This is why development tools should become harder to use. 😉

• Duck

Praise the lord!

(Jobs died for our tech sins like flash. So praise him.)

• crsh1976

Like him or hate him, props to Jobs for winning this one.

This is good news; Flash is old tech, let it go already.

• kamikaziechameleon

This is one more step to Adobe killing one of its greatest assets. Not saying I love flash but it was one thing that was an industry standard that got so mishandled it totally lost its footing. What flash is and what it should have been are so far from each other I’m surprised it has lasted this long.

• srg86

I’m guessing they’ll be okay with things like the Creative Suite, which from what I understand is their bread and butter products. I don’t know what they can make money on with HTML5 based products.

Creative Suite includes one product that will probably see a lot of HTML5-flavored boost – Dreamweaver. And I imagine there will be an HTML5 animation product to come along shortly. Probably already long in development.

• mikehodges2

I would have thought their greatest assets would be photoshop and premier etc, as they charge a fortune for those!

• dpaus

It’s just sad that Steve died before Flash did.

• Deanjo

Adobe was probably waiting for his death before announcing this just so they wouldn’t hear “I told you so” from Steve.

• jdaven

I can actually hear the sound of a million nerds crying in their parent’s basements. Lol1

• srg86

Maybe cheering more than crying I would have though.

• adisor19

No no, the masses are definitely crying. Remember, those of us who praised Steve’s move to block flash on iDevices were in the minority. The massive bashing was and always will be anti apple. Reason must be ignored.

Adi

• srg86

Yes, typical apple restricting choice, dictating what I can use not letting me choose. Anyway, it’s academic now.

It always was academic. Mobile flash support sucked. The EXISTENCE of ARM Flash was itself an argument against it.

• sweatshopking

Reason? flash is AWESOME on my touchpad. You are happy about a [i<] crappier [/i<] user experience on your istuff?? talk about ignoring reason.....

• Beelzebubba9

I think you and I have a very different definition of ‘awesome. I’ve used Flash on Android devices, and considering it can peg a desktop CPU at 100%, the experience was about what you’d expect from a device with the processing power of a Katmai Pentium III.

If you even remotely care about user experience, Flash never should have been ported to mobile devices. I’m glad Adobe came around leaving only fanboys remaining on the losing side of the debate.

• sweatshopking

i’ve mentioned a few times that android flash sucks. On webos, it’s a different story. i DO care about user experience, that’s why i like being able to access the web pages i want, and getting the content i want.

• Beelzebubba9

I block Flash on all of my platforms, so I’ll take your word for it. 🙂

• EtherealN

It’s all quite beside the point though, isn’t it? There are sites ut there that rely very heavily on Flash to deliver it’s content (let’s not forget how Apple photoshopped their promo pics of the iPhone4 to make it look as if Flash was there…).

If they’re working on getting a transition such that sites will stop using Flash, then I’m all for it. Flash isn’t exactly awesome, and on mobile devices it’s worse. But it has to be removed while content providers migrate to HTML5 or whatever, otherwise we end up not even getting the option to receive that content.

Apple fanboys who think bashin Apple for it’s anti-Flash position is just about hatin’ on Apple need to get that point that user choice is pretty important to people, and we don’t want to have to only use content tailores specifically for our device or software. Someone remember the good old days where sites would specify which browser and resolution they wanted you to view their sites with? Same thing.

• indeego

Guess I was minority. I disagree with much of Apple’s philosophy but Steve was right about Flash. Wouldn’t call it praise, however, I leave those words for member of cults.

• chuckula

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your smartphones.
    I come to bury Flash, not to praise it;
    The evil that bloatware does lives after its uninstalled,
    The good is oft interred with its bones,
    So let it be with Flash.

• adisor19

Slow clap.

Adi

• 5150

You even have to put your name at the end of a two word post?

• indeego

I’m still waiting for one of the other 18 adi’s to start suing for Trademark infringement.

• 5150

God damn, you bring it every time don’t you. Bravo.

• codedivine

Would like to add that Adobe did say that they would continue developing AIR. The browser plug-in is at its end-of-life but standalone AIR would continue to be developed for mobile platforms.

• maxxcool

HAAAAAahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahhahahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

/breath in/

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

/breath in/

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahahahahahah

/kicks dirt into the grave, pees on the headstone/

Finally, a version of Adobe i can use….

Oh and HTML5 haters (one in particular) …. suck it.

Is that…English?

• killadark

OHH if there wz only a like button i woulda liked it

• Deanjo

Steve? Is that you?

• maxxcool

SHH!!! me and Elvis are playing pinochle in the TR backroom!

• adisor19

Oh noes, his steveness was correct in banning flash on the iPhone ? But what about all that Apple bashing ? What will happen to the Blackberry playbook who’s only claim to fame was that it had flash ? What about the fandroid zealots that always reply Andoid is superior because it has Flash ?

What’s going on here ?

Adi

P.S. : I wish there was an emoticon to express the smug contempt smile that i have right now..

• srg86

At least with those I wouldn’t have to use the awful iTunes, still the single biggest reason to avoid Apple iOS stuff in my opinion. Then again I just seem to be whistling in the wind. I say Android is superior because of no iTunes.

BTW As a Linux user, I too wouldn’t cry if flash died either.

• Corrado

You know you don’t need to ever plug your phone into a PC or use iTunes with iOS5 and up right?

• Beelzebubba9

iTunes is a pretty terrible music player, but as far as syncing software goes I think the hate is just nerds sperging out.

Granted, I don’t think iTunes should have ever been required (thanks, iOS 5, you late bastard) but I can’t remember the last time it limited what I could do on my phone in a way that wasn’t a requirement imposed by the content creation industry on Apple.

• Noigel

I feared iTunes too once, was why I was once resistant to getting an iPad. But it’s not so bad if you don’t use it to buy or play music or videos or any media, haha. I basically use it as an app and xvid video loading tool for the iPad.

• Price0331

I use Android, and I hate flash. People who have Android have it because of it’s openness, it’s non-archaic app market, it’s open source paradigm. My HTC Inspire 4G beat the iPhone 4 in every single way when a head to head competition was done.

[url<]http://www.smartphoneenvy.com/featured/face-off-htc-inspire-4g-vs-apple-iphone-4/[/url<] And guess what I paid for it? $50. The iPhone 4 still costs $99, even after the 4S has been released. (Enjoy your apple cult smugness)

• Jambe

I upvoted you but the pedant in me really wishes you would learn how to use apostrophes.

• Price0331

Ahh, indeed, my bad.

• LaChupacabra

To be fair, even a blind squirrel finds a nut

Wow, you have to seek personal validation in his opinion on Flash?

• adisor19

Nah, just pointing out the unjustified mid 90’s style hate towards apple. That’s all.

Adi

• Deanjo

Right on Adi, once again “Steve was right”. Lets the downvotes begin.

I can’t decide if you want downvoted or upvoted in an ironic fashion.

• ludi

[quote<]I wish there was an emoticon to express the smug contempt smile that i have right now.[/quote<] Evidently, you base far too much of your self esteem on external events you can't actually control. In any case, was Jobs "right"? The iPhone launched in early 2007. Thus over four-and-a-half years and multiple product cycles, while HTML5 continues to figure out what it actually is, the iPhone has been unnecessarily restricted, and therefore less capable than it could have been, because of Jobs' autocratic behavior. Maybe there's an argument to be made that Adobe could never, ever find a truly stable and high-performing Flash implementation for mobile devices with both hands and a warehouse filled with Cray units, and thus Jobs was protecting the user experience on the platform. But obviously (a) that's not the argument you're making here and (b) the argument would need to be fleshed out in some fashion other than a post-hoc rationalization.

• sweatshopking

ya… I don’t understand how you can say “steve was right”. it makes no sense. if it wasn’t for steve’s hatred of flash, then perhaps there would have been more support, and flash would have been fine. We’ll never know. That being said, i use flash all the time on my touchpad, and love it. I would hate not being able to go to the thecomedynetwork.ca and watch the daily show. I understand on ipad there are apps for it, but that’s stupid, and why would i want that when it works EXACTLY the same as it does on my pc. Much of the flash hatred is irrational, and steve DID restrict the usability of his users. I’m not going to argue that flash on android is worth using. it’s 100 years behind webos. If that was to be the standard, i can see why we didn’t like it.

• maxxcool

Support or no, Flash is and was abysmal. It is a horrendous application. its a cpu gobbling pos that takes a Gpu to push 1080p content on systems where standard 1080p content can run on the cpu alone. it is so poorly coded that malware can STILL execute inside their precious “sandbox” and infect a system… seriously? porting to either android or Ios just makes it worse, single core systems (aka 80% of the mother loving universe for mobile devices) barley run it, dual core systems with gpu acceleration tolerate it. the code path must be a nightmare (which is likely the real reason why they killed it) and they are to ponderously big to do anything about it.

pdf’s = great
          flash = suck

disabling flash makes browsers faster, and hmtl5 is not even a full “spec” yet and it still is 90% on par and in some cases is faster.

flash got fat, it got eaten by zombies because they did not follow rule #1.

• Corrado

PDFs using Adobe’s reader aren’t even great. They render on my quad core box exactly the same as they did on my Pentium 200mmx back in the day…

• Deanjo

You are right, even OS X’s native pdf reader, Preview, does a better job.

• sweatshopking

of course disabling flash makes browsers quicker. you’re losing much of the content. as i have already stated, FLASH RUNS PERFECTLY AT 1080P ON MY TOUCHPAD. it’s not a power house, it’s ARM. the implemention isn’t as good on android, but it works great on webos. HTML5 is NOT really faster. that’s a myth, and you should probably do some googling to sort that out. it is SLIGHTLY faster at playing video, but that’s only 1 of the many things flash is capable of. PERSONALLY, i don’t give a rats ass what we use, as long as i get the content i want, and AT THIS POINT, there really IS NO REAL ALTERNATIVE TO FLASH FOR MANY OF THE THINGS IT DOES. that’s the issue.

• xeridea

As a web developer…. I strongly disagree. I have never even touched flash… and never had a reason to. I can do anything flash can do (cept games… which technically could be done with JS if you wanted.) with html/css/js.

• maxxcool

What he said ^^

• Deanjo

Of course the complete flip side to that is that Adobe could have seen that there was a need for a less proprietary format and adopted those open standards earlier to help establish it but, no, they instead of doing this they decided to fall right in line with the finger pointing game.

• lilbuddhaman

Exactly. Even with today’s announcement, we’ll have at minimum another year (more likely 2-3 years) of Flash being the dominant format for web content. HTML5 is not set in stone and no manufacturer can produce a chipset optimized for it any way.

Your iphone is still neutered in some way. Even if just one person wants the feature, why not allow it ?

• Deanjo

[quote<]and no manufacturer can produce a chipset optimized for it any way.[/quote<] Not true, openGL and h264 is already accelerated on pretty much every device out there and WebM support is freely available to everyone that wants to incorporate WebM acceleration (hardware IP is available from Google).

• Yeats

You can often move on to newer/better technology without necessarily – and abruptly – dropping the old. Steve was correct in thinking that Flash was not the future, but there was no reason to preclude it’s operation on iStuff, other than pride and spite.

• Corrado

If someone doesn’t draw a line in the sand, no one will move. See Apple with USB and Floppy drives. If the option is there, people won’t progress. Why do people still use IE6? Because its not a forced upgrade to 7/8/9. Its been FIVE YEARS since 7 came out and people can’t get off of 6 because they aren’t forced.

Look at the analog to digital switch over in the TV arena. The companies were given the fact that this is going to happen, and just about every single one waited until just about the cutover to go crying to congress about extending the deadline until they finally said ENOUGH. And its worked out pretty well, all things considered.

Someone has to be the first to say NO or it will never be migrated from.

• ludi

The original iMac didn’t kill the floppy drive. In fact, there was a rather healthy market for i-fruit colored USB floppy drives as a direct result of that decision, because at the time, a floppy drive was still very useful. What finally killed the floppy drive was the advent of low-cost USB flash drives, and Apple had nothing to do with that.

“Drawing a line” looks a lot like “stubbornly closing the ecosystem from useful inventions” if the market didn’t have a credible alternative then, and still doesn’t have a credible alternative more than four years later. As it happens, Flash is a useful cross-platform format; the problem was that Adobe, in typical Adobe fashion, never put in a proper effort to optimize it. If Jobs back in 2006 had put Adobe on a choke-chain and said “We’d like Flash support on this new iPhone we’re developing, but you’re going to deliver it as a low-overhead, glitch-free product,” [i<]then[/i<] he would have been a force for good.

• Corrado

I realize there was a market for USB floppy drives, but it forced people that needed it to move off of it and see the light that it wasn’t going to be a viable platform any longer.

And, no, viable USB flash drives isn’t what killed the floppy. Having files too large to FIT on the floppy is what killed the floppy.

• ludi

[quote<]And, no, viable USB flash drives isn't what killed the floppy. Having files too large to FIT on the floppy is what killed the floppy.[/quote<] Strongly disagree. There were ZIP-100 and LS120 drives available for quite a while, and yet none of them became a universal standard (although ZIP-100 came the closest). Expensive extra hardware, expensive media, and no universal compatibility between all computer systems. This was long before the world+dog had digital music on every computer; digital cameras were not widespread and shot photos in the 100kB range; and digital video was completely nascent and niche. People who needed to transfer large files had CD burners ($250+ for a 2X-speed drive, at 45 minutes' burn time for a single disc, with media costing $1-2/each in late-1990s dollars), while the standard floppy was cheap and could easily transfer scanned images, small quantities of digital photos, office documents, website development files, savegame files, and other bric-a-brac, between any and every computer. Once flash memory became cheap enough that anyone could pick up a 16 or 32MB drive for the same price as a box of floppies, the floppy died a rapid death -- but not until then. Same applies for USB. It's easy to look at USB now and remember it as always having been that way, but it wasn't. Early USB 1.0/1.1 hubs were dogs, driver compatibility under Win9x/Me was spotty, and early USB peripherals had some teething issues and were generally high-dollar items for early adopters. It wasn't until USB 2.0 and Windows XP met each other in the early '00s, and became widespread, that the market for SCSI and MIDI/parallel-port peripherals finally and truly died.

• PixelArmy

USB is dead like the floppy?!?!? When did that happen?

• Corrado

I meant when they did away with PS2 ports etc, and went full on USB only. Everyone cried about it.

• PixelArmy

I don’t recall any outcry… (As far as I can tell this was the iMac G3 in ’98?) Nor could my googling find anything…

Anyhow, PS/2 is still available today on the majority of [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007625%20600138080&IsNodeId=1&name=AM3%2b<]AM3+[/url<] and [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627%20600093976&IsNodeId=1&name=LGA%201155<]LGA 1155[/url<] boards. [url=http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/optiplex-790/pd#TechSpec<]And yes, you can still get them on boxes made by a big OEM[/url<]. Surprising, eh? Yet, I feel it's safe to say the majority of people no longer use PS/2 peripherals, despite it still being highly available (that is to say, no line was drawn in the sand).

• Yeats

Apple still supports USB.

Hardly anyone uses IE6. Source: [url<]http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php[/url<] If M$ had said "no" to Flash (ahh-ahhhhh!) there would have been a Federal investigation.

• Corrado

So ~ 75% of the internet uses HTML5 browsers, but we’re supposed to buy that if we should keep Flash around for ‘legacy’ reasons?

• Yeats

There is no reason for Flash and HTML5 to be exclusive of one another, that’s all.

• Deanjo

[quote<]but there was no reason to preclude it's operation on iStuff, other than pride and spite.[/quote<] Hardly other perfectly good reasons would be stability and security. Apple didn't want to be supporting a bunch of Flash related support calls.

• Yeats

Steve apparently put those arguments on the back burner. Basically, he wanted more control over app development. [url<]http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/[/url<] I don't like Flash. However, I am a big believer in letting the market decide.

• Deanjo

Oh really? Because his statement says otherwise.

[url<]http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/[/url<] And how the hell can he want more control on app development when the app would be developed completely outside of the device and is web based?

• Yeats

His “Sixth, the most important reason.” as listed in your link.

• Deanjo

The 6th reason is for a better end user experience by not limiting to a “lowest common denominator”. That is not about having more control, that is about making sure that developers are able to take full advantage of the features the product offers. If anything it puts more control and ability into the developers hands.

• dashbarron

Steve and his self-fulfilling prophecy and the arrogance of his cult. You can’t predict something then have a huge hand in it and pretend like your a genius.

[quote<]"innovate with Flash where it can have most impact for the industry, including advanced gaming and premium video." [/quote<] ^ This is key, from Adobe's mouth. When Apple is the biggest player in the house and they don't let you use your software on their hardware, why continue to develop it, especially because HTML 5 is the very-soon next thing. Let's take the whole performance issue of Adobe Flash out of the equation. Maybe they would continue to suck beans, maybe with more time it would have gotten better. The industry is moving towards HTML 5 but it's not quite ready. Apple has just jump-started the mobile community on it, bugs and glitches and all. They've done nothing revolutionary.

• Deanjo

Or it would have just continued to suck on anything other then a x86 windows pc like it has since it’s inception.

• maxxcool

Steve was right in that flash is a abysmal fucking pig of a shitty coded app. were i a flash developer i would have stuck my head in a oven *years* ago. as for apple being superior ? meh… dont use’m dont care too.

His decision on banning flash on the iphone has nothing to do with him trying to control how ‘apps’ get on his phone right? I mean, why would people use the app store if they can get what they want unrestricted through flash based ‘apps’?

• End User

This is good for everybody.

• digitalrogue

Indeed.

Straight to fiery, fiery, fiery and still more fiery hell with Flash.

I feel like I am channeling my inner Beavis for some reason …

• riviera74

Good riddance to bloated, buggy, CPU-hogging Flash. GO HTML5!

• sweatshopking

html5 isn’t really any faster. it CAN be SLIGHTLY faster, but if you’re still thinking they’re worlds apart you’re insane. Not only that, HTML5 does not replace MOST of what flash is capable of. HTML5 works fine for video, but there are 1000 other things done with flash that html5 can’t do well.

• indeego

Don’t understand the downvote. HTML5 isn’t even a completed spec. No two vendors agree on its direction. It has issues, it won’t solve all the problems of the web (nor will Flash.) In some ways it’s more of a mess than Flash.

The benefit? HTML5 is fixable with the market deciding, instead of a subjective vendor.

• sweatshopking

downvote for 2 reasons
            #1. I posted it
            #2. it’s not in line with the prevailing opinion that adobe is horrible, and flash is the devil.

Facts are a bastard, and i’m me. that’s the problem.

• RickyTick

Gave you a +1 just for the self-awareness. 🙂

• travbrad

Well Adobe software IS generally horrible, but that doesn’t mean HTML5 is automatically better. Photoshop works, but just about everything else has significant problems and can take forever to fix (if re-ghosting isn’t an option).

• xeridea

I am a web developer, have never used flash, have made lots of dynamic sites, and have never touched flash. html/css/js can do pretty much anything I could imagine doing.

• kvndoom

…and nobody cried.

• Waco

…as long as the pr0n sites keep working.

• jpostel

Thanks for bringing us back to reality.