Poll: Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3?

Modern Warfare 3 looks like it’s going to set all kinds of records for the biggest entertainment launch in history. It’s not the only big-name military shooter out this season, though. Battlefield 3 was released a couple of weeks ago, and fanboys from both camps seem eager to espouse the merits of their chosen FPS franchise. So, which one would you rather play? You can cast your vote below or in the middle column on the front page.

In last week’s poll, we asked you to vote on the best premium upgrade outside of a new CPU or graphics card. The overwhelming majority (68%) would put their money into a solid-state drive, which look even better in light of rising prices on mechanical hard drives. 19% of voters would rather upgrade their monitor to an IPS display, with the remaining options stuck in the single-digit percentages. Mechanical keyboards and liquid cooling got 3% of the vote each, while gaming mice garnered 2%. A handful of folks also voted for sound cards, high-speed DIMMs, and fancy enclosures.

• Aveon

Lets restart the poll with the following question:

Battlefield 3 or Modern warfare 3 or Skyrim.

BTW for Single player campaign both the war FPSes setups are more than 13 gigs with less than 13 hours of gameplay . Skyrim on the other hand is 5 gigs with more than 500 hrs of gameplay.

ALL HAIL SKYRIM.

• thebeastie

Well its great to see BF3 well in front in this poll!
    Shows that not everyone out there are COD playing/worshiping Justin Bieber fans after all, I actually am really quite shocked.

• Arclight

I’m actually shocked by how many chose dodgeball, which would indicate that they don’t like either of those games.

• gmskking

Halo is still my favorite shooter ever.

• dnath

On a website that is predominantly PC players, obviously BF3 will win. MW3 if focused more oon console play. Here is a good question. How many people that voted BF3 have a 360?

• lilbuddhaman

<- here’s one. Dark Souls was the first 360 game I played in 9 months.

• travbrad

Or perhaps a better question; How many people that voted BF3 have a 360 [b<][i<]that still works[/i<][/b<]? :p

• roont

I voted BF3 and I have a working 360. But that’s probably because, as someone else mentioned, it hadn’t been played in almost a year until Dark Souls came out

• Kurotetsu

Batman: Arkham City (if Arkham Asylum is anything to go by).

• Silus

BF3 no doubt. Best multiplayer experience for a warfare game. The 64 player maps are just amazing!

• Joerdgs

I’m a gamer that goes for an immersive experience, and that’s what I find in Battlefield 3’s multiplayer. Where you can make your own stealth / sniping / tank takedown / jet / hill assault missions without ever seeing a single scripted sequence or QTE, while having the chaos and ambiance of battle all around you. BF3’s singleplayer was bland and unnecessary because of that; it should’ve been a tutorial to teach skills for the multiplayer. Instead it was Call of Duty MW4.

I liked MW2’s spec-ops mode, but I’m not going to pay full price again for MW3.

Next weekend is reserved for Skyrim though. 🙂

• odizzido

After 20 or so years of games where all you do is run around and shoot stuff I find myself getting bored. STALKER is where it’s at.

• l33t-g4m3r

If you’re a fan of stalker and deus ex, I would recommend E.Y.E.

• plonk420

i bought it for the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8730SR1POk<]capabilities of the frostbite 2 engine[/url<]. mainly lighting. same with crysis 2. frostbite 2's radiosity and cryengine 3's global illumination fascinate and excite the HELL out of me. i'm not into FPSes (let alone PvP FPS) unless they have that "x-factor" ... e.g. L4D it's the humor and just plain dumb fun. oddly enough, tasty graphics is that x-factor for BF3 for me. i just couldn't get over just how terribly dull MW3's trailer/ad graphics were, for the ENTIRE ad campaign. boo.

• geekl33tgamer

You bought a game in a genere you don’t like just for the graphics? Send some of your (clearly disposable) income my way and it will be put to good use.

• LoneWolf15

If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball.

• HisDivineOrder

Call of Honor: Fear in the Modern Battlefield and a Crisis on the Homefront.

The Voltron of shooters.

• PrincipalSkinner

Neither! I find games who artificially limit my movement insulting! CoD does it with invisible walls. BF3 does it with ominous countdown.

• DeadOfKnight

Battlefield 4

• Krogoth

Buttered Toast

I don’t care for Battlefield 3 or MW3.

Battlefield 3 is effectively a $60 add-on/expansion pack to BF:BC2 which is marketed as a stand-alone product.

Modern Warfare 3 is just a rehash of Modern Warfare 1 for another $60.

Both games make wonder why I should care about PC/console gaming. It is already a dead corpse as far I’m concerned. They are both overloaded with rehashes that are nothing more than overglorifed tech-demos.

• LiquidSpace

Dude you obviously know nothing about either BC2 or BF3.
      I have 322 hours in BC2 almost 13.33333333 days of my life spent playing BC2 and almost 30 hours now in BF3, let me tell you this; BC2 is like child’ toy compared to the godlike BF3.

• dashbarron

Don’t mind him. He thinks the same thing about StarCraft II, too.

• Krogoth

Starcraft II isn’t that much “different” from its predecessor. Blizzard just did a bunch of remixes with the old units to make new “units” and updated the eye candy.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah the whole goal of SC2 was to be just like star craft. To act like RTS standards hadn’t evolved at all in the last decade and that their outdated hardcore only control scheme wasn’t something of the past.

• Bensam123

…but they have. If you played RTS’s outside of SC you’d see that quite a bit has changed in 15 years.

What they did was a safe bet to not alienate their player base by reproducing a product as closely as possible. The only thing that really changed was how they worked the campaign. Blizzard used to be about pushing the genre and industry forward as a whole, you can’t do that with safe bets.

• kamikaziechameleon

I didn’t say it was a bad game just that krogoth pretty much nailed star craft 2.

• Krogoth

Actually, Total Annihilation completely revolutionized the entire RTS genre. It had features that were ahead of its time and it came out before SC1.

There are still few RTS that match Total Annihilation. The only reason that Blizzard RTS games are more popular is because TA has a deeper learning curve and matches tend to go longer if the players are evenly matched in skill. Neither of them are appealing to progamers.

• dashbarron

But it was highly successful. When people look forward to a sequel they don’t want something that’s radically different. They want something that looks, feels, and plays the same. Blizzard did this while adding new units, axing others, tweaking gameplaying, and adding new dynamics to make it more complex and focused more tightly on micro-management. Add this with the new Bnet which has a ton of features from social networking, achievements, and matchmaking so you’re always fighting someone who is equivalent in skill to you: in other words, has the same grasp of micro-management and gameplay skills as you, you can be as pro as you want and still be equally matched.

There’s a huge list of changes but enough similarities to be an adaptive and great sequel. A SC fan didn’t want to buy SC2 to have it be a spawn-point RTS.

• Krogoth

IMO, BF franchise was only good back when it was BF:1943.

It went downhill from there. BF2 is just a modern re-skin of BF:1943. BF2142 is a shameless reskin of BF2 with one new game mode (Titan).

BF3 is just BF:BC2 with more vehicles, larger maps (more players) and updated eye candy. I played BF:BC2 enough to know what it was nothing more than COD:MW with vehicles.

Dice/EA and Infinity Ward/Blizzactivison are just shadows of each other.

BF and COD:MW franchises are the McDs and BK of the “realistic” tactical shooter genre. Fun, simple, but shallow for a better lack of a term.

• kamikaziechameleon

Apparently the technological intricacies and design differences are completely lost on you. Probably think that 1942 was a reskin of tribes. like that is a small change and easily accomplished and mark zucherberg in his sleep… kinda goofy.

Your logic is amazing.

• Krogoth

It is all marketing hype.

BF3 just builds on BF:BC2’s codebase. It is the standard practice for any programming project. FYI, IDtech4 (a.k.a Doom 3 engine) builds on its predecessors, like how IDtech5 builds on IDtech4.

The graphics are more disappointing as BF3 just rips directly off from BF2:BC2 (LOL, copy+paste). The UI isn’t that much different.

ITT: Fanboys trying to rationalize spending $59 on a glorified expansion pack.

• kamikaziechameleon

dude by your logic all game engines are the same since they are c++ or whatever and run using direct x. If BF3 is just like bfbc2 then why does it look so much better and run so much better???

• Bensam123

If you want to play the ‘whose bigger game’, I’ve spent roughly 1000 in BF2, 200 in BF3, and I played through the SP campaign and roughly the same amount of hours in the beta.

BF3 is basically a more codified BC2 with jets and more players with a DLC milking system attached to it.

• StashTheVampede

BF3 is definitely not an expansion pack/addon to BC2. It’s a new graphics engine (and it shows), more weapons and a very different skill tree for weapons + addons. BC2 is the more “arcadey” version of Battlefield while BF3 is the true successor to BF2.

MW3 is still MW. Same graphics engine and only minor tweaks to the “perk” system.

• lilbuddhaman

While not as senile as liquidspace, I too have a large amount of time in BC2 ::ahem:: 800hrs ::ahem:: I can tell you that BF3 is an entirely different beast than BF3. Godlike, no. But different.

There is a certain point where there is ‘too much’ to a game, and I’d dare say BF3 nears it. (it’s missing VOIP, a better commo-rose, and a few small things).

BF3 is the perfect middle ground between ARMA and COD, imo.

• WarriorProphet

Hmm, my battlelog has voip, though we still use ventrilo too…

• moose17145

That’s not voip. he means an actual in game VOIP system where you can get your whole squad talking without having to minimize the game and try to invite everyone into the stupid party chat every time the map changes.

• kamikaziechameleon

had you actually played BF3 you would realize how ridiculous your statement is.

• Krogoth

I don’t feel I should pay $60 for what should have been an expansion pack. The youtube videos tell me enough about the game.

I felt that BC2 wasn’t worth $49 when I got it.

Big publishers are wondering why piracy and used sales market are such a problem for them. Here is it a hint, don’t command such a high-price point if you can’t deliver on the goods. (FYI, I’m not going to pirate the game, because it gives publishers the wrong message)

• Firestarter

> The youtube videos tell me enough about the game.

So basically you’re trolling.

• Krogoth

Genuine criticism is now considered to be a form of trolling?

I’m done here.

• Bensam123

Dodgeball… the two choices smell too much like each other now. 🙁

• roont

then you haven’t played either of them.

• Bensam123

You’re right, I only played BF3 and compared it to MW2… I’ll let you know after I play MW3… I’m sure my opinion will be different.

• WhatMeWorry

Modern Dodgeball Battlefield III

It’s dodgeball, only modern…with exploding balls.

• Firestarter

And helicopters!

• canmnanone

my balls explode all the time!!!

• Yeats

You must go thru a lot of laundry detergent.

• Forge

Needs more poll options. I tried to play BF3 SP, and just finished MW3 SP, and have no desire to subject myself to the MP of either.

• Hallucinosis

I voted for BF3, but I have both games. The way I see it they’re 2 completely different games:

BF3 on PC (I play BF3 on PC):
    High quality (hardcore) PC shooter experience with dedicated servers, beautiful visuals, up to 64 players, vehicles, and a very high skill cap. I use a flight stick when I fly jets. Gameplay is very intense and demanding.

MW3 on Consoles (I play MW3 on xbox 360):
    Fun and casual console experience that’s limited in the same ways all console shooters are limited. The PC version is a total disgrace, so I can safely ignore it. I play MW3 for the social experience on xbox live and when I want to play a game from the Lazyboy chair. It’s fun, fast paced, the games are short, and it’s all in close proximity compared to BF3.

I like both games, but I prefer BF3 to MW3. That said, I could not imagine playing BF3 on a console, nor could I imagine playing MW3 on a PC–the fullest potential of BF3 is realized on PC and the fullest potential of MW3 is fulfilled on consoles. Both games are fun.

TLDR: Both games are fun. BF3 on PC is hardcore; MW3 on console is casual.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I agree. I think people take COD way too seriously, players and haters alike. Despite the way they market it, I think the whole series since the first MW has been meant to be a more casual, run and gun, play with some friends while you kick back on the couch with some cold ones type of experience. It’s not realistic or immersive, but that’s really the whole point. Plus, the kids you find on XBL are more entertaining than whatever is on TV at the time.

Trust me, if I could play BF3 on a decent PC I would probably stop playing my 360 completely. Unfortunately all of my income is consumed by more important things with the exception of the 60 bucks (really?) I dropped on MW3. I considered giving up and getting BF3 for the xbox until I played the beta and realized that the game was NOT meant to be played on a console. I actually felt ashamed that I even played the beta on one.

• lilbuddhaman

Well put. The only thing I’d add is that MW3 is a ripoff in a dollar/new content ratio.

• Hallucinosis

Yeah, I missed the last few (the last one I played was Call of Duty 2 (the WWII one) on xbox), so it was mostly new to me.

• wingless

Dodgeball easily beats MW3…….Why am I not surprised?

• kamikaziechameleon

I’ll go out and say it, BF3 for the mp, MW3 for the campaign, dogeball for when the DRM won’t let me play my game.

• Arclight

“I’ll go out and say,
      BF3 mp for not being ghey,
      But when DRM won’t let me game
      I’ll play MW3 for the campaign”

Did that rhyme?

• kamikaziechameleon

good effort but no.

• cynan

Oh, Oh! Let me Try! My turn!

When I’m home gaming all alone
          MW3’s cinematics take the throne.
          But when buddies come online to play
          It’s BF3’s scale and tactics all the way.

Alas when, inivitalbly, the DRM goes broke
          And there’s no more FB friends to poke
          I’m forced to seek out fresh air and sun
          And it’s to dogeball that I turn for fun.

• Arclight

Amazing! Mad props man.

I’m sure this is like Sophie’s Choice for somebody out there, but I just can’t get excited about either of these. I voted dodgeball, but if I had free reign to pick any FPS franchise, I’d go with Serious Sam. SS3:BFE will be out before long.

• rhysl

I have played all COD games , MW3 has not grabbed my attention , mainly due to their engine not being changed , and the BF3 game has won me over heaps!.. it rocks ..

• alphacheez

Minecraft and WoW for this geek; I suck at shooters too much. The last one I was “good” at was Duke Nukem 3D.

• squeeb

Damn, old school. Great game though.

• 2cans

loved mw1,for the campaign. mw2 came with the graphic card i bought. the campaign got borowing to me so i will not be picking up mw3. b3 campaign sucks,but mp rules . my 2 cents

• Meadows

Quake Live.
    To hell with your covers, regenerating health, and two-shot kills, you milksops.

• BiffStroganoffsky

…says the person in Hello Kitty stretchy underpants and top.

• Meadows

+1, you caught me.

• l33t-g4m3r

…while watching my little pony.

• Meadows

Shame on you, [i<]Friendship is Magic[/i<] is a good series.

• Krogoth

If you like cancer.

• Meadows

If I owned this site, I would ban you for that comment, because of more reasons than one.

• Krogoth

[url<]http://images.topix.com/gallery/up-ICRD516S86GLBMIN.jpg[/url<]

• funko

i dunno, i was a UT2k4 kind of guy myself

• Meadows

Never did like that one, some of the weapons felt odd and the movement/pacing is something I could never get used to.

• stupido

Actually both of them are quite nice 🙂 I sometimes play quake live even today in my browser (how nice is that) but [rant]I’m bit old and slow for that pace…[/rant]
          I even played and still like the quake wars… 🙂

• kamikaziechameleon

feel the same way about quake, interesting.

• KeillRandor

What made UT2K4 for me, is all the random mutators and the voice packs – (especially since I made my own voicepacks – I uploaded a few to some site somewhere, but not sure if they’re still around 🙁 (I really liked my Blues Brothers one for all the conversations it starts off ; ) )).

• Vrock

Quake 3 is for n00bs.

• Jigar

Quake 3 is for PC gamers, not for consoles, pay attention dude.

• Krogoth

Vrock is referring to Quake 2 and Quakeworld. (IIRC, he used to play them back in the day)

They are both superior to Quake 3.

Quake 3 had an awesome engine, but the game itself was kinda mediocre at best. UT99 completely overshadowed it back then.

• ereetos

Quake3 Rocket Arena was imo one of the greatest competitive shooters ever.

didn’t like quake2 much, it was ok but not fast paced enough.

quake1 was pretty damn good though

• PainIs4ThaWeak1

Though RA was incredbly competitive. I tend to think ExcessivePlus is also worth mention. I have NEVER put SOO much effort into excelling in any game, as I did with Q3:E+

Q3A was deathmatch purity, IMO. Gone are the golden days…..

• shaq_mobile

Quake had two shot kills, regenerating health, cover and milksops! Though, Quake 3 was the pinnacle of raw, unfiltered, adrenaline based deathmatch.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I would play BF3 in a heartbeat if I could afford a decent enough system, but imo MW3 isn’t as bad as people are making it out to be.

• trackerben

Multiplayer only. Firstly on BF3, and only once the Karkand and Sharqi remakes are ready. Would give MW3 a “shot” if remakes of Overgrown and Downpour are there

• kamikaziechameleon

OVERGROWN WAS AN AMAZING PC ONLY MAP!!!

• Yeats

If you’re not voting for Dodgeball, you must be a fatty.

• Yeats

-1 ? I must have struck a nerve with someone…

…beneath all that jiggly flesh.

I un-did one -1 and I can’t un-do the second one. It’s funny funny to me, and I’m a fatty.

• Yeats

🙂

I was a fatty as a kid, by the time I was 15 I was at least 40lb overweight. Then I “discovered” basketball and found I had curiously good eye-hand coordination. No working out, just hoops and keep moving! Anyone can do it, unless there’s an underlying health condition.

Even though I sucked at dodgeball, it was fun. Playing it with a bunch of kids and having them wail on you is fun, too!

• kamikaziechameleon

yep, they call me the human blimp.

• Dashak

Regarding the last poll, [url=https://techreport.com/discussions.x/21946?post=593686<]quite a few of us[/url<] thought that a nice office chair would be a good idea. Also, I voted for BF3 over MW3, but I won't ever be playing either. I'm boycotting both COD and EA.

• Arclight

Boycotting EA, to the best of my knowledge, hasn’t worked yet but since Origin is a legalized spyware i’m all up for it, if it means we’ll force them to reconsider.

• lilbuddhaman

Though unannounced, after you have launched the actual BF3.exe you can completely shut down Origin. If you play on one server for a lengthy amount of time this means you can minimize your Origin exposure. If you swap servers often, you’ll have to relaunch origin to launch the game.

It’s a start.

• Duck

Fight the power!

I’m boycotting too. It will not be lifted until they fix some obvious bugs in BF2 (good thing I only paid like $5 on sale).

• Meadows

I didn’t know EA was a videogame.

• Dashak

Escape velocity at your surface approaches [i<]c[/i<].

• Corrado

Skyrim.

But between those two? MW3 for campaign and BF3 for multiplayer.

• DancinJack

SKYRIM ALL DAY ERRRDAY

• yogibbear

Dress up?

Computer geeks call that “WoW”

• Meadows

I’ve done it without WoW, it’s hilarious.

So does my daughter. It’s hilarious, but I think it’s because she’s 3.

• Meadows

I have a pair of Hello Kitty girls’ stretchy underpants and top, if you want to see sometime.

I, uh…no. It’s cool. Probably better to leave it to my imagination…lol

• crabjokeman

Whoa buddy, save that stuff for weekend topics.

• dashbarron

I’d rather play BF3.

But MW3 has had a lot more press about it. Hell, even my local TV station was talking about the release and midnight lineups.

BF3 singleplayer isn’t that great if you like options but its multiplayer and the graphics are great. And who are we kidding, 90% of the people (or more) buy a FPS to play a massive amount of other people.

I fall into the 10 percentile.

• Vulk

Wow, I love a shooter as much as the next guy, but I’m not excited by either of those. At my age, and with my schedule (full time job, 2 infants at home) getting online with friends to do MP is pretty much going to happen once in the lifespan of either title if I’m LUCKY. SP on both of those games looks so horribly script happy that changing diapers looks just about as rewarding as playing either title, and since that’s all I get to do in the 45 minutes after everyone else goes to bed and I pass out on the couch, I say…

DODGEBALL!!!!!

• luisnhamue

haven’t played MW3 yet, I was walkin in the local shopping mall, and I hv to say that people were so eager to get it.

But BF3 is setting me back with a nice experience.

• Sargent Duck

Where’s the Half Life 3 option?

• kamikaziechameleon

I think we need to direct that question to valve. With this huge delay on the half life series I expect a reworked game engine and massive sp campaign.

• stupido

I wish the same, but unfortunately I think this is just a wishful thinking… so sad… 🙁

• Arclight

[spoiler<]BF2142>[/spoiler<]BF3>CoD MW>MW3

• JustAnEngineer

MechWarrior 3 was a pretty cool game, back in the day.

• geekl33tgamer

Dodgeball – One’s tied to Origin and the other is over-priced and a little arcade like.

Both are cash cows for their developers tho, but I’ll be playing neither of them.

• Aveon

For people who choose dodgeball we should have put in an option for minesweeper as well.

• UberGerbil

But then all the Farmville/Shanghai/Freecell people will complain.

• Johnny5

I can do expert in around three minutes, which may seem pretty good until you see the 37 second world record on youtube.

• indeego

I imagine it would take a computer less than a second.

• DancinJack

Dodgeball only because Skyrim wasn’t listed.

Really though, I probably won’t be playing either BF3 or MW3.

• SomeOtherGeek

No, dodgeball cuz you can actually see the person’s expression after hitting them.

• DancinJack