Poll: To which new chip are you most looking forward?

One of the best—and worst—things about the PC industry is the steady trickle of new technology. There’s always something better coming just around the corner, over the horizon, or a little ways down the road. If you just put together a new rig, the knowledge that it will soon be outpaced by next-generation hotness can carry a bit of a sting.

Right now, there are a number of blips on our hardware radar—all new silicon destined for PCs between now and the spring of next year. AMD will introduce Trinity, a Radeon-infused APU based on the Bulldozer microarchitecture. The company is also set to update its discrete Radeon lineup with 28-nm Southern Islands GPUs. Nvidia will counter with fresh GeForce chips based on Kepler, its own 28-nm GPU. Intel, meanwhile, will go down to 22 nm with 3D transistors in Ivy Bridge. So, which of the four are you most looking forward to? You can vote below or in the middle column on the front page.

In last week’s poll on whether you’d rather play Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare 3, the new Call of Duty game managed a measly 15% of the vote. Twice as many voters prefer dodgeball, leaving the majority (55%) in the Battlefield camp. After doing such a good job with table tennis, perhaps Rockstar should tackle dodgeball for its next sports game.

• Kougar

Ivy Bridge is only a die shrink, so the performance difference is minimal. Yet on the other hand I am eager for it just for the battery life increases it will bring in the mobile sector. My next laptop purchase will be Ivy Bridge, probably in an ultrabook if a manufacturer can manage to put all of the right pieces together for what I’m looking for.

I’m eager for Kepler given the 3x computational increase in double-precision performance. Of course, Maxwell is due shortly after in 2013, and promises 10x the double-precision performance of Kepler. With THAT kind of leap in performance with Maxwell, it does kind of damper the fun for Kepler…

Been a long awhile since I read anything about Southern Islands, but the wiki is sure interesting to read on that…. XDR2 memory is just the tip of the iceberg there. Should be awesome for gaming, but the expected lack of compute performance also dulls it a bit.

I’d have to say right now I’m eager to see the SandyBridge-EP chips the most. I want to see what the EVGA SR-3 and the ASUS dual workstation boards can both accomplish with it. Especially since they both will be able to use a pair of fully intact 8-core Xeons. Interlagos won’t know what hit it.

• LoneWolf15

Ivy Bridge also has revamped video. Reportedly twice as fast as Intel HD 3000.

Not really targeted for gamers, but it will be interesting to see how it improves QuickSync video. Current Intel HD 2000/3000 GPUs are the first I’ve felt comfortable leaving in basic builds without switching to a basic discrete Radeon or Geforce.

EDIT: Citation.

[url<]http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392932,00.asp[/url<]

• Kougar

I agree with everything ya said. I should’ve clarified I was speaking purely about the CPU side. The video upgrade is always welcome for the interface responsiveness benefits it offers, but I’d only be interested if it also came with improved energy efficiency over the HD 3000 in some way, for the mobile sector.

Beyond that an IGP is still an IGP and I have no use for gaming on a laptop, that’s what my desktop is for and it will always use a discrete IGP. And I won’t upgrade my desktop until there’s a CPU with some serious performance improvements in most apps I run, which Ivy isn’t reported to have. The only performance increases should come from clockspeed bumps, and overclocking makes that point moot.

• maroon1

Ivy bridge is more than just a die shrink based on this recently leaked slide
      [url<]http://imup.se/i/o6xlXluEes.jpg[/url<] i7 3770 is 15% faster than i7 2600 in cinebench 11.5

• Black69ta

To me the new iterations from Intel and even AMD are simple evolutionary. We already know that AMD will not gain the performance crown from Intel even for a month in the foreseeable future, We also know that while Ivy will have much better leakage and Frequency headroom the performance per clock will vary only by a fractional increase. nothing is pushing Intel to worry about showing it hand too soon, so the first Ivy B. will only be marginally higher performing than whatever the equivalent Sandy B is. However once the Sandy B. inventory is sold out then they will release the faster versions, unless AMD finds a way to make bulldozer compete with a new spin, doubtful.

That leaves Nvidia, Kepler will come out when AMD has been very competitive and either just releasing a new GPU or on the verge or releasing said GPU, so with Nvidia in the position of 3rd Wheel it has to be revolutionary. Intel wants into the Graphic arena and past obstacle will not always prevent their entrance, I don’t think they will try again until they think they can have a competitive Ray-tracing GPU out, but they will be waiting in the wings for a mistake by Nvidia.

kepler must be successful in order for Nvidia to keep its head above water, the mobile market is promising for them bu that industry is quickly becoming a crowded market.

• MadManOriginal

Non-evolutionary -aka revolutionary – iterations are quite rare. In the CPU area, going back a bit less than ten years, I can think of only a few: A64 (x2 variants are a subset) and Core Duo (Core 2 again being a subset). In GPUs I’d say the first unified shader chips qualify too. Most everything else is improvements upon such large leaps, some improvements are significant of course, but it’s easy to argue than many advances are simply evolutionary.

• LiquidSpace

All I need is a powerful GPU, at least 2-3 times as fast as the current 6970, my core i7 2600K at 4.3 GHz will last me till 2017.

• spigzone

Whatever chip is in the rumored 2012 release Xbox Next!!!

Thanks, Nintendo, for forcing Microsofts and Sonys hand with your new 2012 console with specs able to run current Xbox 360/PS4 quality games and which you are pitching hard to current Xbox and PS4 game developers!!!!!!

Can’t wait to see the PC ported games that are developed for consoles with advanced graphics and almost unlimited AI capability.

+1 for sarcasm. I think.

• Krogoth

ITT: people getting mad over a silly vote option.

IMO, the most exciting thing on the foreseeable horizon is the improvements are SSDs. It will not be long until, HDDs will finally retire into becoming archival/multimedia storage disks.

CPUs and GPUs have been fairly stagnant for a while. It is from a combination of the global economy and physics making it difficult for semiconductor manufacturers to keep add more and more transistors.

• indeego

You kinda disappointed me with this perfectly sane opinion.

• dashbarron

Jumping the gun but I’m looking forward to Haswell more than any of the options.

Also, I love this website.

Krogoth always has interesting opinions. Sometimes they’re a little crazy but they’re usually worth reading if not at least for the fun factor: he’s kind of like the Joker.

And that means Meadows is like Batman, or probably closer to Robin (seriously who can equate to Batman?). His only purpose in existence is to stand up to Krogoth. Krogoth lives to live, Meadow lives to stop Krogoth. It’s a parasitic relationship.

I enjoy reading both of your comments. Where Krogoth is Meadows is soon to follow.

• trinibwoy

Kepler here, although I think GCN will be more interesting architecturally. Nvidia already made the big changes with Fermi, Kepler will probably just be a minor update.

It baffles me that so many people are looking forward to Ivy. We need an incrementally faster CPU to do what with exactly? Granted we dont exactly have games that need 28nm GPU hardware but at least the performance improvement there will be closer to 2x instead of the small and unnecessary performance boost that Ivy brings.

• ronch

I still kinda wanna wait for future Bulldozer iterations, if only to see what AMD does with it. The real killer though, is Haswell. It would be interesting to see how Intel plans to push the leading edge a few miles further. Let’s hope AMD can keep up.

• kamikaziechameleon

Maybe the ivy bridge revision of the I7 line will finally render us a 8 core processor.

• kamikaziechameleon

• ImSpartacus

I’m looking forward to Krait. Windows on ARM, anyone?

Oh, I forgot, we’re not allowed to mention that here, that’s why there aren’t any ARM products in the poll…

x86 is the future!

• sircharles32

I voted for Southern Islands.
    I’m hoping for 6950/6970 performance at half the wattage.

• themattman

Currently have a Yorkfield Q9450 and I am planning on waiting for Haswell. 45->22nm plus the benefit of two architecture refreshes

• Silus

The poll’s results is telling in regards to the amount of AMD fans that visit this site. You really need to be a die hard to fan to still be looking forward to any AMD product in the near future…
    As for me, I’m not really looking forward to any product in the poll in the sense that I won’t be buying any of them. I’m always curious of what the next iteration of graphics cards will bring, but not much. There’s no new DX version to go along with these new cards and current ones handle themselves quite nicely with even the most taxing games on the market now. So it’s meh for me.

• DeadOfKnight

Actually I still think fusion stuff holds a lot of promise for the mainstream mobile market.

• Stargazer

Really?

I’d say that AMD have been doing fairly well with their graphics cards “lately”, and since Southern Islands involves a shift to a more compute-oriented paradigm (a shift that Nvidia has already made), I’d say that it’s only natural that there’s a lot of interest in how it’s going to end up working for them (even if you don’t have any plans of *getting* one).

• Silus

Thanks for proving my point regarding AMD fans. There was no interest when NVIDIA made that shift. In fact, it was criticized because they were losing their focus in gaming products. But when AMD does it, it’s “interesting”…Right…

• khands

To be fair, AMD did a hack job of it the first time around, and Nvidia’s implementation left it with something very hot and noisy (hence the criticism and the offshoot GPUs that were meant only for gaming). Hopefully AMD manages to avoid those pitfalls while giving it a second go.

• Stargazer

There was a huge interest in Fermi. Unfortunately they had issues with (among other things) the manufacturing process, and not being able to do an expected die shrink certainly didn’t help either. That the end result was power-hungry and that they could have made a more gaming-oriented product certainly wasn’t well received by everyone, but for people who were interested in the compute area, Fermi was A Big Thing, for pretty much the same reasons why Southern Islands is interesting now.

Fermi may have also in some ways been “ahead of its time”, but this is less on an issue for AMD now, partly because there’s been more time for things to evolve, but also because Nvidia has helped pave the way. Another thing that makes the release of SI so interesting is that now *both* manufacturers of high-end-gaming GPUs will have a fairly strong GPU focus. If SI ends up working well (we already know how Fermi works, so it’s SI that’s the unknown), that could open up a lot of interesting possibilities.

So, the release of SI is interesting not only on its own (which, like Fermi also was at the time of its release, it definitely is), but also because it could mean that soon enough “all” high-end-gaming GPUs will be built on a solid compute foundation.

To me, that certainly qualifies as interesting.

• clone

you selectively ignore facts for the desperate attempt to proclaim “proof”.

Nivdia got in ahead of the game, while good now it wasn’t then because of the sacrifices that were made, Nvidia was very late, their card was not desktop focused and rightfully they were called on it, it consumed to much power and rightfully they were called on it, initially it didn’t perform well enough to justify all of the sacrifices made at the expense of the desktop experience and they were rightfully called on it.

they lost significant marketshare in the process not because of AMD fanboyism but because they deserved to and the market spoke with their money.

the 1st fermi was weak, the 2nd gen much better and when the 2nd gen arrived they were rightfully praised for it and all of the changes in the market and on the silicon as they should have been….. and again the market spoke with their money albeit not in laptop again because of the power requirements and not because of some silly AMD fanboyism so they still lost share.

this silly sniff, sob, “poor Nvidia” stance is just that, silly.

• Firestarter

How so? AMD’s GPUs are of great interest for me, even when their CPUs aren’t on my radar.

• Palek

Translation: nVidia is not doing anything interesting… Quick, rip into AMD!

• Silus

If anything I ripped on AMD fans, not AMD, but obviously I don’t expect an AMD fan to understand that 🙂

As for NVIDIA, maybe you should look at their portfolio and how well they are doing. They just launched Tegra 3 as well as the new maximus config. They’re doing awesome in HPC and professional markets and quite well in the desktop and laptop graphics. Yeah, nothing interesting…

• clone

Nvidia reported a profit of $0.178 billion last quarter, Intel reported $3.5 billion in profit…. one isn’t exciting, the other is remarkable, they’ve been doing well in professional markets for a long time, yawn, they lost another 4% of the laptop market and their stock is still down 2.2% for the year….. be still my beating heart I can’t believe I’m not salivating regarding their new phone chip.

none of it is exciting…. interesting? sure, exciting no.

if Nvidia had a new desktop GPU due to arrive before AMD’s southern Islands I’d have clicked on it.

on a cppl of side notes, 1stly: the poll results speak volumes about how much interest their is in Intel’s new product with the very distant 2nd place going to interest in the potentially first to arrive next generation graphics card which happens to be coming from AMD….. a market they have been more than competitive in let alone arguably winning in many respects.

from this you decide that the site is populated by AMD fanboys…… that’s beyond silly and so very weak.

2ndly I agree, it’s all pretty much a meh, my cpu is fast enough and while I may buy a GPU it’d better be damned fast, easy on power and most of all less than $250 after taxes which I don’t believe will be the case for quite some time so I’ll likely be sitting on my GTX 460 for another 6 months.

• Palek

Thought I’d play with you a bit. Hook, line, sinker.

Really, though, isn’t it a little pathetic that you had to bring the “fanboy” issue into a poll about exciting upcoming products? What compelled you? Wanna talk about it?

• Hattig

As far as I am concerned – now that I have a new laptop with a Quad-Core Core i7 – all these processors can fail to come out or underperform massively.

I guess I would be most interested in Southern Islands (the HD79xx ones at least) due to the new GCN architecture otherwise, but it’s not like I can add one of these to the laptop…

• Firestarter

Most definitely Southern Island and Kepler. I’m ready to buy a complete enthusiast system, but buying something like a HD6950 right now seems like a silly plan. So, whichever GPU baker gets their high-end product out first and impresses me, gets my money. Whether I end up with Sandy of Ivy depends on the timing of the GPU launch.

edit: So, TSMC hurry up and get me my high-performance 28nm dies already!

• ModernPrimitive

I’m in the same boat. I almost had myself talked into a 560 / Ti 560 or 6950 for a temp card and then get the new high end later. My reasoning on the nVidia wagon was to use the 560 as a physX card later, but now I’m trying to hold off for Ivy Bridge and Southern Islands / Keplar.

• jihadjoe

+1 on that (I voted for Kepler).

If anything, the recent BD and SB-E launches proved that we have more than enough CPU power today. SB-E may turn out three times as many work units per day as BD when folding, but running a game at a high enough resolution and you’d be hard pressed to tell the difference outside of a benchmark.

I was that close to buying a 6950, but luckily I read that blurb about HD7000 coming soon and supposedly offering 6990 like performance on a single chip.

• cynan

Me too. I’ve been waiting for at least a year for a single GPU card that can comfortably run at 2560X1600 (I know, I know, poor me). I’m getting tired of having to run recent games (well most except MW3, anyway) at sub-native resolution.

Before I was limited to AMD as I have my computer connected to an AV receiver with multichannel audio over HDMI. Apparently Nvidia cards finally handle that properly now, so they’re back on the table.

• FubbHead

Bought an i5-760 just before the Sandies came out, so obviously I couldn’t justify doing such an expensive upgrade so soon after, for very little gain. But when the Ivies comes out, it might be time again. 🙂

But still, I would love to see AMD turn that rather disappointing architecture to something good…

• Prion

what’s a krogoth?

• VILLAIN_xx

Lets ask Meadows.

• Meadows

Ask, and ye shall receive.
        Krogoth is the Dark Lord of Unimpression, nothing is good for him, ever, because it’s an effective way for his ego to stand out and get noticed. In fact, he’s so embarrassed now by having become a poll choice that he has, thus far, refused to comment on this story.

Naturally, mere mention of the Dark Lord will likely summon him instantly, only to prove me wrong, so you should probably brace yourself for a comment of his, soon enough.

• anotherengineer

Apparently it’s not even human.

[url<]http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs28/f/2008/114/1/c/For_those_that_ever_wondered_by_BlackKrogoth.jpg[/url<]

• DrDillyBar

I’m actually happy with my computer.
    *clicks #5*
    🙂

• anotherengineer

Me also.

Nothing but diminishing returns up there in them parts.

I am still saving for my first SSD 😐

• squeeb

Me as well. I can run BF3 and Skyrim just fine 🙂

• jpostel

Yep. I’m not a big gamer, so I am running strong on my Q6600 rig for Windows fun and my Macbook Air for work.

• odizzido

I am most interested in AMD’s future fusion products.

• Draphius

im more interested in finding out if amd has a future in the cpu market after there current debacle

• DeadOfKnight

They’ll keep their head above water with their GPUs, I think. I hope.

• ssidbroadcast

Oh, lord. We’re really dignifying him with his own Poll choice?

• riviera74

I voted for Southern Islands. My second choice is Trinity since that is AMD’s future for notebooks. Could not care less about Kepler or Ivy Bridge. YMMV.

• entropy13

No “Everything!” option?

• tbone8ty

What about piledriver 😉

• Captain Ned

Um, the Sriracha Dorito?

I had some tapatio doritos the other day, they were awesome.

• d0g_p00p

Those sound amazing. I don’t eat junk food but i would make a exception for those. I’ll have to look for those next time i am in a store with snack food items.

• bthylafh

Don’t tease, Ned. Are we /really/ going to get treated to those?

• Captain Ned

Only in my dreams.

There was no cheese option in the poll and since cheese has been overdone for chips since the first Dorito, I branched out.

• grantmeaname

Hahahahaha.

• ultima_trev

As nVidia and Intel have both been at the top of their respected markets since 2006, I can’t say their new chips which will most likely (judging from recent history) perform better than the competition’s are all that interesting (granted AMD was first to market with DX11 parts, their only short lived victory in the past 5+ years).

I’d be looking forward to renewed competition: A next-gen Bulldozer part which boosts IPC to at least the Nehalem level (probably wishful thinking on my part) or a new Radeon single-GPU flagship which manages to slighty outperform nVidia’s new single-GPU flagship (might be possible).

• willyolio

ivy bridge, but only in ultrabook format.

• jjj

I’m more curious about Krait and Marvell’s next SSD controller.
    IB with no 6-8 cores at reasonable prices is just blah.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Everything is alredy too powerful for a gamer’s own good, it’s just a matter of fitting that power into smaller prices and power envelopes. I’m more excited for the gaming industry to get off their beanbag chairs in front of their consoles and follow in the footsteps of BF3 and Witcher 2.

You clearly aren’t a latop user then:

Intel’s HD graphics just don’t cut it in the real world.
      Llano’s “IGP” was close but not quite enough.
      Both Ivy Bridge and Trinity promise to improve laptops a great deal.

As for desktop use, well yeah – Meh. Krogoth not impressed. I have an old C2Q and a GTX460 that runs everything well.

• khands

I don’t think Ivy will be any better than Llano at it’s IGP performance, may be a little better or worse but I wouldn’t swing it more than 10% either way. Trinity improves, but I’m not sure piledriver cores will be enough on the CPU side of things to really make it that much better.

• Voldenuit

Is it sad that I’m not looking forward to anything?

• Bensam123

Nope, pretty much my thoughts. The only alternative answer is meh. krogoth not impressed, so I’m sorta conflicted. I’d pick punching seals if it was there…

• Deanjo

Na, just means you are over the hill and your best years are behind you.

• Aspleme

Eh, I already have Sandy Bridge… don’t see much reason to get excited about Ivy Bridge. Wake me up when Haswell gets here.

• FuturePastNow

My next likely computer build is a new HTPC, and if Trinity delivers on the promised 30% graphics performance improvement (over Llano), it’ll probably go in there. So Trinity was my pick.

I’ve been as critical of Bulldozer’s performance as anyone, and I don’t expect much from the CPU side of Trinity, but I’ll settle for mediocre processor power if I can build a small and efficient machine capable of big-screen gaming.

• khands

I’m hoping it’ll exceed Llano in every way, even in just a tiny bit on the CPU side, but I’m not holding my breath that it actually will.

• FuturePastNow

With a high enough clock speed, they could brute-force it past Llano on the CPU side, but I don’t see them hitting those kinds of clocks when they need to balance out the CPU and GPU and stay within a reasonable power consumption.

Significantly better GPU performance, though, I think is an achievable goal, even with the memory bandwidth limitations these chips have.

• th3t1ck

I voted Trinity because I’m hoping it’s what I want for an HTPC build. Hoping to build a brick powered, passive cooled HTPC in a couple months. Would really like to use the integrated graphics, preferably AMD’s because of the native frame rate issue (AMD does 23.976fps significantly better than intel).

• LoneWolf15

Ater I LOL-ed good and hard, I still had to vote Ivy Bridge first, with AMD’s Southern Islands second.

But I was tempted to vote for Krogoth out of amusement alone.

P.S. No AMD Piledriver?

• quasi_accurate

Piledriver is in Trinity.

• stmok

[quote<]P.S. No AMD Piledriver?[/quote<] [b<]Piledriver[/b<] is the codename for the 2nd gen Bulldozer architecture. Its commonly used to refer to the x86 cores used in the following AMD solutions for 2012. => [b<]Vishera[/b<] is the codename for the 2nd gen FX-series. => [b<]Trinity[/b<] is the codename for the 2nd gen A-series. Since AMD's new CEO is "cleaning house", the only one you can be sure that is coming, is the Trinity APU. Intel will respond accordingly with Ivy Bridge. (They've largely focused on the IGP side this time around as they were caught unaware by Llano's IGP.) I'm tossing up between Ivy Bridge and Trinity, as 2012 is my upgrade year for the home systems I'm responsible for.

• khands

As quasi_accurate said, Piledriver is [i<]in[/i<] Trinity, sure it'll be tweaked some more before the Piledriver only CPUs come out but it's still functioning in their APU.

• 2cans

gimmie the new gpu and there die shrink. i wont to be able to run b3 maxed out on a single gpu and get low milisecs 😉

• travbrad

In terms of something to buy, either SI or Kepler. My GTX460 is the biggest bottleneck in my system right now, and it’ll be interesting to see what they can accomplish now that we are finally moving past the 40nm node.

That being said I think it’ll be very interesting to see just how efficient Ivy Bridge is on 22nm using tri-gate transistors. I just bought a 2500K/mobo/ram about a month ago though, and I doubt it’ll be worth the upgrade to Ivy Bridge for gaming (especially with a GTX460). A 2500K at 4.6ghz+ is a more than solid performer in games 🙂

• NeelyCam

I’m waiting for Haswell.

• LoneWolf15

That poll comes six months from now. Wait for it…

• tfp

Me too

• indeego

If you say it in a caveman voice…

• LoneWolf15

Damn, now I’m imagining Krogoth playing Billie Jean King in tennis.

• Deanjo

Meh, none of the above. I’m more interested in the Tegra 3 killer, the Apple A6.

• OneArmedScissor

Well, “enhanced Bobcat” or whatever [i<]was[/i<] interesting. I doubt I'd have cared to buy a computer with one, but I really did want to find out how a modernized x86 SoC would turn out. Everything else is pretty ho-hum. Ivy Bridge will just be Sandy Bridge with slightly better battery life, but the same prices for the same features. Trinity will just be what everyone thought Llano was going to be a year ago. Moar powerfular graphics cards...meh. Hopefully 13-14" or so laptops will come with quad-cores and without forcing a discrete card on you, but that's on the OEMs, as the option already exist and they just don't offer it.

• ish718

I would like to see much improved FP performance with AMD’s Piledriver.

• kroker

1. AMD’s Southern Islands
    2. Nvidia’s Kepler
    3. Intel’s Ivy Bridge

I already have a pretty good idea what Ivy Bridge will be like, and I can sort of guess what Kepler will bring, but I have no idea what Southern Islands will perform like if they introduce the “Graphics Core Next Gen” architecture and XDR2 memory.

• Stargazer

That pretty much sums up my feelings too.

Also, while it’ll be interesting to see how much more power efficient Ivy Bridge will be, I’m far more interested in Haswell.

• swampfox

Agree with both of you. Particularly curious about what exactly Ivy Bridge delivers, but more curious about these newer generations of GPUs.

• Ushio01

Graphics Core Next Gen is after southern island.

• khands

Southern Island was effectively in the 6900 series chips, it’s going to be in the majority of the 7000 series GPUs but rumor has it that the 7900 series will follow their older siblings and use the Graphics Core Next.

• Ryhadar

Sandy Bridge.

What? It’s new to me. I’ll probably be buying it when Ivy Bridge comes out.

• DeadOfKnight

I’m looking forward to Haswell & Maxwell.

• Stargazer

I wonder how long it’ll take Nvidia to get to Einstein…

• Deanjo

They can use that name, it’s their nickname for Jen-Hsun Huang.

• r00t61

I’d kind of like to see Nvidia’s “Feynman,” myself.

• Stargazer

Ooo…. Feynman would be a great name. Which one do you think they’ll use first? Feynman or Einstein? 🙂

(I wonder how long they’ll stick to that (code-)naming scheme. It’s kinda nice…)

• chuckula

I’m getting rid of the overclocked e8400 when Haswell shows up… I’m not sure if I’ll replace the 8800GT prior to building a new system though. Assuming Kepler doesn’t pull another original Fermi I might grab one when they finally get out on the market.

• Nocturin

8800GT? I had one of those.
        It was a decent card.

upgraded to a 5550 and wasted money, honestly.

yeah, 5550 is not an upgrade. You’d need a 5750 to get to roughly-even performance, and a 5770 would have been a little bit of an improvement. The 8800GT was a great buy in 2007 – would power you through playable game after playable game up until roughly early this year before you really had to crank stuff way down. (obviously you’d be cranking stuff down a bit prior to that). Pretty good for a card that just had its 4th birthday.

• Draphius

my 8800gt lasted me years and i just recently replaced em, one of the best graphics cards i ever purchased

• jihadjoe

I still have my 8800GT Sonic! It’s paired with a B3-stepping Q6600.
            I’ve applied a slight OC to both, and they’re still pretty decent.

I’ll probably retire them next year for Ivy+Kepler.

• swampfox

Gonna overclock my e7300 (and stall until Haswell) and replace my HD4850, thus looking forward to Southern Islands and Kepler the most.

• DeadOfKnight

Considering I already have an i7-875K and a GTX 560 Ti, there is really no need to upgrade right now.

• bthylafh

Southern Islands for me, but only because my Radeon 4850 is the oldest part of my current build.

• jacquestrapp

Me too, I just upgraded to Sandy Bridge but I’m still running my old Radeon HD 4890. A Kepler card would be fine too but it looks like AMD’s new part is going to come to market first.

• chuckula

Bahh, you kids and your “old” 4850s! I’m running an 8800 GT and a Core 2 Duo… GET OFF MUH LAWN!!

• Squeazle

Cheers. And two 500 GB HDD’s that immediately fell out of their RAID array. Scrappy computers keep us going.

• Yeats

None of this stuff matters to me… I’ve been on my unlocked X3 for over 2.5 years, and during that span my video cards have been 8800gt and Radeon HD5770. No plans to upgrade the CPU until my next freebie. Trinity is the most interesting, though, to see if AMD can make beef hash out of bull (dozer) shirt.

• lycium

I would buy an Ivy Bridge CPU for almost any price right now, and will keep it maxed out on tight SSE and AVX loops at 4-5GHz until it either explodes or gets replaced in 3 years with whatever amazing thing Intel have for me then!

We have truly arrived onto the future, and the whole world is become elektronik supersonik. I can’t believe this CPU will have truly random number generation for my monte carlo simulations built right in, that’s some space age stuff right there.

Ivy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Ivy Bridge.

• lycium

Also, my i7 920 saw its 3rd year in service last week: [url<]http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs38/f/2008/315/9/3/mon_petit_supercomputer_by_lyc.jpg[/url<] This Nehalem box has served me very well 🙂

• swampfox

Scary. Next week is 3 years for my e7300…

• just brew it!

[quote<]We have truly arrived onto the future, and the whole world is become elektronik supersonik. I can't believe this CPU will have truly random number generation for my monte carlo simulations built right in, that's some space age stuff right there.[/quote<] Hardware random number generator isn't a new idea. IIRC VIA had it on their C3 processor nearly a decade ago. Problem was, it was a VIA CPU... so nobody noticed.

• lycium

Oh, interesting. Definitely went under my radar…

• DancinJack

1. IB
    2. SI
    3. Kepler
    4. Trinity

• albundy

is there a OTHER option? I am looking forward to the new Frito Lays Sun Chips…i hear the bag is quieter when you open it.

• LoneWolf15

The biodegradable bag they use is the loudest bag I’ve ever opened.

(Insert really bad “aside from your Mom” joke here)

• hieu.noob

And they discontinued it back to a non-recyclable bag because people bitched about it being too loud. *fumes*

• LoneWolf15

Well, it WAS kinda hard to sneak into movie theaters…

• ew

IMHO CPUs are kind of boring nowadays. It’s just the same old same old each iteration with a speed bump. On the other hand GPUs get the speed bump and usually some feature that was not available at all in the previous iteration.

• BobbinThreadbare

Or in AMD’s case, new technology with a speed decrease!

• Draphius

have u read anything about sandybridge?

• nagashi

Applied Micro’s X-gene ( [url<]http://www.anandtech.com/show/5098/applied-micros-xgene-the-first-armv8-soc[/url<] ). Ivy Bridge/Trinity are a distant 2nd place tie, mostly because I'd like a triple-monitor capable laptop.

• Nocturin

Hopefully those arn’t lofty claims.

• StuG

KKKEEEPPLLLEERRR

• SecretMaster

What do I need to do to get immortalized into TR history?

• StuG

become Krogoth

• bthylafh

Be an annoying and worthless troll, evidently.

• NeelyCam

When’s my turn? Do I have to up my annoyance factor?

• chuckula

Krogoth’s annoyance factor goes up to 11, you max out at 10.

• LoneWolf15

Krogoth’s is more of a “bang”, though, while Neely is more of a “whine”. 😉

• NeelyCam

Ouch..

Krogoth’s is more of a “meh”

FTFY.

• Bensam123

There is a difference between trolling to be a troll and incidentally becoming a troll in the communities eyes through opinionated responses (arguably the later really isn’t even a troll).

• BobbinThreadbare

Neely felt the need to comment on every single AMD news with how bad it was going to be and how badly Intel was kicking their asses.

At a certain point it doesn’t matter if what he was saying is true, reading the same post 35 times is annoying.

• Bensam123

Neely is a troll. I was talking about Krogoth being opinionated.

• NeelyCam

I’m also right 95% of the time.

• NeelyCam

If I had posted 35 times that AMD is going to kick NVidia’s ass with 7000-series cards, would you find that annoying?

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]Be an annoying and worthless troll, evidently.[/quote<] No reason for hostility. I don't see him making unsolicited attacks against you. We're all here for the same reason - whizbang gadget news. The poll option is pretty funny, and maybe he had that coming, but it's not mean spirited, and it doesn't need to go any further than that.

• sweatshopking

I agree. I like krogs, he’s fun. I like people who have stuff to say and opinions, and he’s usually a good time. I have yet to be in a poll, but one day, i believe, that day will come. I once made a wrestling poll that almost got me banned. those days are behind me, but i know in my heart that geoff, cyril, and scott truly do love me, and that they’ll make my dream of dreams come true.

• OneArmedScissor

Krogoth made my favorite post of all time on this site. First, note the subject of the article (which, in lieu of Steve Jobs’ passing, is now incredibly eerie):

[url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/15621[/url<] And the winner is... [url<]https://techreport.com/discussions.x/15621?post=357305[/url<] I'm sure I poked fun at him for that for a full year, but it was only a reflection of his greatness.

• Bensam123

I think the meaning of the word ‘petty’ has been lost on the majority of internet users online in this day and age.

• Krogoth

Those “articles” were sensationalist bits from PC “elitists”.

Electronics have never been environmentally friendly. They are loaded with tons of hazardous materials. Just take a look on what happens to all of the eWaste that comes from obsolete hardware.

Here is a hint, it isn’t pretty.

• OneArmedScissor

lol good grief, I’m not trying to bait you. It was just funny enough that I remembered it.

• Krogoth

I haven’t taken any offense to it. 😉

• bthylafh

No. You’ve not been here quite as long as some, but for quite a long time Krogie was known for posting on any goddamn news item with some variant of “yawn blah blah not interesting”.

It’d be nice to have my forum killfile work on article comments, is what I’m saying.

• OneArmedScissor

No what? No, you want to resent someone who is merely 1s and 0s to you for something that was a problem like 5+ years ago? Geez man, let it go. Serious business, and all that.

• bthylafh

• eitje

No SIR!

• cynan

U Jealous?

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]What do I need to do to get immortalized into TR history?[/quote<] If you want to be in the running, it helps to have a legion of followers with a campaign slogan. Snake oil on the northbridge!

FRIST VEOT!

Ivy Bridge for me because if I’m not going to be able to afford a good upgrade by Feb or March (which is my plan), I’ll just wait for IB to come out so I can jump to it instead.