New Command & Conquer game may be on the way

The Command & Conquer series doesn’t, er, command quite the same following that it did in the 90s, but EA has been steadily releasing new titles under the franchise. The latest, Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight, came out just last year. As PC Gamer reports, we may now be due for another game in the series.

The site says EA registered no less than 15 new domain names last week, and those domains all hint at an upcoming C&C game titled Alliances. Among them are "commandandconqueralliance.com," "redalertalliance.com," and "tiberiumalliances.com."

PC Gamer ties the domain registrations to a teaser video, released last month, of an upcoming game in the works at a new BioWare studio. (BioWare, of course, is owned by EA.) The video showed a tank blowing up some army vehicles in dusty city streets—a scene that might as well be straight out of a C&C game. The link between those two developments is admittedly tenuous for now, but it’s there. At the very least, the prospect of breathing some life back into the C&C series is an appealing one.

• Sargent Duck

I was a huge CnC fan and loved all three series (Generals, Tiberium and Red Alert) equally. Loved CnC3 but I thought RA3 was rubbish and didn’t even bother finishing it. It was like CnC meets Fisher Price. The game play of CnC4 put a terrrible taste in my mouth as soon as I heard about it, I stopped following it and hoped it would bomb so that whoever came up with the idea would be fired.

Until I actually see a video showing good gameplay, I’ll just assume the worst.

• Aveon

I loved Red alert 3 for the it’s hilarious story line and hot babes.

Give us something like that but not exactly that ….

• squeeb

Plus it had Tim Curry, you can’t go wrong.

• Cyco-Dude

lol what the hell, i never even heard of c&c 4…last i played was the c&c 3 demo (which seemed ok).

oh well, if i want rts i’ll play sc2. the original c&c and red alert were great games back in the dos era…up there with wing commander 3 and doom 2. good times…

• vexe

EA rebooting a classic RTS….surprise! It’s now a glass tunnel FPS!

• kamikaziechameleon

Ok wanted to go out on a limb and say the best strategy game and by association license game EA has produced in 5 or so years would have to be the battle for middle earth games. The not only capture the epic yet nuanced nature of the mythos but area also the most unique and solid strategy designs they’ve made and play the best IMHO. In other news those games have all been discontinued and can not be found for under 50 dollars since they aren’t available for purchase through steam or origin.

• Bensam123

I honestly find it quite hard to imagine them releasing any game under the C&C moniker that isn’t a steaming pos.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah they are just knock offs of the old classic games or totally irrelevant. If only they hadn’t closed redwood studios.

• StuG

This franchise needs to just die.

• Geistbar

It’s a shame- it was once quite a good series; I remember spending many hours on Red Alert- it was one of the first computer games I remember playing (along with Warcraft 2, Might & Magic 6 and Wind Commander 4). I don’t think EA truly “got” the quirkiness of C&C, and just kind of fumbled around, hoping they could make something that fit.

• TurtlePerson2

Some studio that is somehow related to Bioware is involved? Sounds like this is an RPG action game. That would definitely be doable in the C&C universe, but I’m not sure if it’s the best of ideas. “Alliances” sounds like the name of an MMO, which would be too bad.

• Geistbar

What I read is that this is new “Bioware” studio. Which is to say it’s not actually Bioware at all, and they’re just putting it under the Bioware umbrella, similar to how Mythic ended up. Not that the Bioware name is very inspiring to me anymore…

• squeeb

C&C is dead to me !!

• odizzido

Wan’t the last C&C like a giant hippo turd?

• Bensam123

Worse then that, most of the last C&Cs have been that way.

• BobbinThreadbare

EA Exec 1: Any blood left in that stone?

EA Exec 2: Only one way to find out.

• yogibbear

Move out!

• BoBzeBuilder

I hacked my account so you can’t give me a thumbs up.

• adisor19

It’s true !

Adi

• d0g_p00p

I don’t have any faith that EA can pull of a good C&C title. EA has ruined the franchise with that craptastic C&C:4. While I love BioWare, I don’t think they can revive C&C either it’s just not what they specialize in. I would love to be proven wrong though.

• LiquidSpace

the brotherhood of NOD has entrusted me you can trust me

• OneArmedScissor

I want a new Generals. I’ve played them all and I don’t care if it’s not “true” C&C. It was fun to use all your abilities at once and create a huge mess all over the entire map, with the imminent threat of someone else doing the same, and there’s more variety than most RTSs have, even outside of C&C.

The world certainly doesn’t need yet another reimagining of the Red Alert universe that looks like a collaboration with Disney, or the umpteenth new Tiberium Whatever in a row. Those two are starting to look like sports games that have a 2010, 2011, 2012, etc. edition.

• Bensam123

Generals was just a turtle and build your ‘super weapon’ army first game.

• OneArmedScissor

Unless, you know…it wasn’t. Nobody makes you play any particular way, and you sure missed out if that’s all you did with every single different general.

I can’t think of an RTS where “turtling” is impossible. Try getting past a handful of clustered up tesla coils in the original Red Alert, or a wall of photon cannons in Starcraft.

It certainly wasn’t worse in Generals. I’ll argue it was better, as low level abilities could be used to instantly knock out whatever was slowing the game down, which is a dynamic that many RTSs lack, and I would like to see it expanded upon.

• BobbinThreadbare

Turtling is impossible in high level Starcraft play. The other player will get all the resources and just out produce you.

• Bensam123

Thats cause SC is all about harassment. You play entirely offensively.

• BobbinThreadbare

So you’re agreeing with me.

• Bensam123

Go give Rise of Legends or Dawn of War a try…

• Krogoth

Nah, Generals is the same old ~5-minute tank rush rape. It is only thing it has in common with C&C Franchise.

Superweapons are overrated and underpowered.

• EV42TMAN

hopefully they make something more like command and conquer generals or red alert. i enjoy the build up your base and dominate approach. i hated tiberian twilight because of the mobile base idea.

Generals was horribly under-rated. I have it and the expansion and it’s a ton of fun.

• Krogoth

Generals: ZH is one of the most poorly thought-out and imbalanced RTS games.

The new “General factions” made the stock factions from the original game completely obsolete. Most of generals were seriously underpowered. The Tank, Laser and Chemo Warfare Generals were overpowered. Tank General made C&C’s infamous tank rush ridiculously easy to pull off.

• Noigel

Yes, let’s go back to C&C:Generals and let’s go back to that style of balancing and counters. That is, even before Generals:Zero Hour and even before EA broke off from the original creators who went on to create Petraglyph.

Tired of space-age soap opera RTS. Tired of shallow strategy that only promotes spam.

• Forge

All of this, very much so. Generals was the high point of the C&C universe, and we’re steadily trucking to the nadir now.

Weren’t they talking about a free-to-play C&C coming down the line back after C&C4 came out?