LG ultrabook wraps 13-inch screen in thin bezel

Add one more ultrabook to the pile. LG’s Korean site has revealed details on its X Note Z330, whose 15-mm thickness qualifies it for entry into Intel’s exclusive club of supermodel-thin notebooks. Like most members of the ultrabook crowd, the Z330 comes with a 13.3″ display that pumps out 1366×768 pixels. A narrow 8-mm bezel makes the screen look larger and allows LG to squeeze the system into a chassis whose footprint measures just 12.4″ x 8.5″, which is only a little bit bigger than my 11.6″ Acer ultraportable.

Under a brushed metal exterior that apes the circular swirl found on Asus’ Zenbook, the X Note houses one of two processors: a Core i7-2637M clocked at 1.7GHz or a Core i5-2467M that runs at 1.6GHz. The former is avaialble in a Z330-GE55K configuration alongside a 256GB SSD, while the latter is paired with 128GB of solid-state storage. Those SSDs are likely responsible for the X Note’s claimed boot time of less than 10 seconds.

The rest of the X Note’s spec sheet yields no surprises. LG doesn’t mention specifics about the system’s battery, but it does claim that the Z330 will run for more than six hours on a single charge. I can’t help but wonder how much more battery capacity could have been squeezed into the system had LG beefed it up to the 21-mm maximum thickness allowed by Intel’s ultrabook requirements. Interestingly, it looks like ultrabooks are only required to offer five hours of battery life.

While it’s unclear whether the X Note will make its way stateside, the notebook’s Korean pricing isn’t particularly appealing. The top model is set to sell for ₩2.6 million, which translates to over $2,300 with a direct currency conversion. Even the base model’s ₩1.7-million price tag works out over $1,500. Thanks to Engadget for the tip.

What’s with all the Macbook Pros in the picture?

• Wirko

These aren’t MBPs. They have a distinguishing feature: see that orange “emergency off” key?

• kamikaziechameleon

” but it does claim that the Z330 will run for more than six hours on a single charge.”

I bought a netbook that had the same claims yet only lasted for 1-2 hrs of practical use as I expect this does as well.

• Bensam123

“I’m trying to look professional, but really I’m just an amateur model.”

• MadManOriginal

IF she got paid for this gig then by definition she is a professional model 😉

• stdRaichu

I thought bensam123 was talking about the laptop…

• JdL

$1500 for the base? This thing will never sell.

• Kurotetsu

I just can’t understand the thought process behind this. SSD, fast processor, aluminum casing, long battery life, shitsux screen. One of these things is not the like others~~~

The screen is the thing you’re looking at 100% of the time you’re using a computer. So why do manufacturers absolutely insist that this the one part they can cheap out on?

<Random_Advocate_for_Joe_Dumbass_who_got_lost_while_on_his_way_to_some
    _other_website> “But 1366×768 is fine for most people!”

Most people will not buy a $1,500 to $2,300 laptop, so why is this being catered to them? Why would ANYONE pay such a premium price for something that cuts corners in the worst possible area?

• 5150

It isn’t that 1366×768 is inadequate, in fact, for many it is a fine resolution. However, the only 1366×768 display I’ve ever seen worth a damn is the IPS on a Lenovo X220, everything else is washed-out, poor-angled TN crap. Not even good TN.

• adisor19

1366×768 is ok for a 10 to 11″ laptop.

12″ – 13″ needs at least 1440×900

14″-15″ needs at least 1680×1050

17″ needs at least a 1920×1200

Anything else is a waste.

Adi

• 5150

Your needs != Everyone’s needs

I agree with everything you wrote, however, my mom doesn’t need/want 1600×900 on a 15″ laptop.

• Voldenuit

And she probably wouldn’t be shopping for a $1,000-1,500 notebook, either. Or one with a SSD.

Ultrabooks are meant to be a premium product, and it feels inadequate that most manufacturers are scraping by with bottom-feeder screens on them.

Then again, I feel that a true “ultra”-book shouldn’t have an intel IGP in it, either, but it’s not like intel is going to tout their own shortcomings.

• Sunburn74

I am 100 percent happy with 1366×768 for up to 14.5 inches (my current laptop). And I consider myself quite PC savvy as well.

Not everyone is pixel junkie, just like not everyone cares about how many horsepower their car has, and not everyone cares which river their salmon comes from. In fact, for all these things, MOST people don’t care.

• Laykun

Got 1920×1080 in a 15.6″ Dell. Try out a real screen resolution on a laptop, it WILL blow your mind and you will no longer be “100 precent happy” with 1366×768. It’s not just the resolution but on higher res screens in general the panel quality is much higher with superior viewing angles, brightness, contrast ratios and black levels. Cheap laptop screens are horrendous when it comes to back light bleed through or black levels in general.

• internetsandman

I dunno why you got thumbed down for that. You hit the nail on the head. That’s exactly what laptop resolutions should be. My 15 inch laptop is 1680×1050. This is why I love Macbooks, the displays aren’t sub-standard, they’re using proper resolutions for the screen size

• MadManOriginal

13.3″ MBA IS 1440×900 AND IS THEREFORE A WASTE. – Funniest example because yes, 13.3″ is greater than 13″ :p

But wait, there’s more!

MBP 13: 13.3″ 1280×800

MBP 15: 15.4″ 1440×900

The 17″ MBP and 11″ MBA are the only Apple laptops that are ‘not a waste’ according to you…teehee.

• jstern

The Dell that I bought in 2003 had a 1600×1200 resolution, great viewing angles, etc. 4 years later I was absolutely shocked after I got a MacBook that the screen was so horrible. I decided not to research the screen, because I was convinced that 4 years in the world of technology, surely the screen was going to look great. And now 4 years later, 2011, it’s horrible.

I should mentioned that I paid $200 dollars extra when I got that Dell, so it would be nice if at least now when buying a laptop they gave people the option to upgrade.

• mattthemuppet

all of the macbooks and macbookpros I’ve seen in the last 3 years have had terrible viewing angles, going to sepia at more than ~30deg horizontal. Certainly doesn’t fit my expectation that Macbook screens are as great as people bang on about.

• Wirko

True. Midrange smartphones today have TN screens with good contrast, good viewing angles in all directions, and, I presume, low power consumption. Some even have decent antireflective coatings. Why notebooks can’t have displays of comparable quality is beyond me, too.

• Welch

Although Id like to see some screens at least back in the higher res range for the typical 13-15″ laptops, the truth is… MOST PEOPLE WILL PAY 1500 FOR A LAPTOP. Sorry, I figured the caps might make it clear that sometimes people make comments about what they think others will pay when they have no clue.

I cater to cheap asses all day long and the majority of them think that to get a half decent laptop that its going to cost them over a grand. Its because these same people bought dell laptops back 2+ years ago and they over paid for it then, plus systems cost more back 2+ years ago than now. Most people are blown away when I tell them that they can get a pretty nice laptop for under a grand.

I also hated the 1366×768 res but it occurred to me that there is a plus for the manufacturers to stick to this res together.

1. It looks good enough for most people and scales just fine from my personal experience.
      2. Its cheaper to manufacture than a higher res screen obviously.
      3. Their systems look like they perform much better in games/videos because the GPU isn’t having to try to keep up with resolutions like 1920×1080. Ultimately it makes their mid range systems seem like very viable gaming systems.
      4. The above note about the GPU also means less stress on the GPU = less power consumption, suddenly the battery life looks amazing. Lower res also means even idle its going to consume less power too.

Putting lower res screens probably was also how they could afford to put in LED backlit screens, increase performance and making most consumers think they are buying an LED screen, not an LCD (Again.. most don’t realize STILL that LED means backlit, not that its a new technology)… Better or not, they still feel like they are getting more than they actually are.

• Voldenuit

[quote<]MOST PEOPLE WILL PAY 1500 FOR A LAPTOP. Sorry, I figured the caps might make it clear that sometimes people make comments about what they think others will pay when they have no clue.[/quote<] [url=http://blogs.computerworld.com/18748/how_low_can_they_go_laptop_prices_continue_to_drop<]ORLY?[/url<] ASP for a laptop in retail was $654 in July, $817 for online sales. How exactly did [b<]you[/b<] derive your figures on what people would pay?

• willyolio

probably hangs around coffee shops, taking an informal survey of the hipster scene.

• trackerben

If Intel were a panel manufacturer then perhaps you’d see it push for better screens. Its operational competence is in championing cpu-i/o evolutions. I would prefer at least 1440×900 on a 13-14in chassis

• cynan

The real sad part is that LG is one of the word’s “leading” IPS panel manufacturers. I guess all of their decent panels are promised to the competition?

Chief of R&D for computers at LG: “Hey, I have a great idea for a new flagship Macbook Air knockoff/killer. We’ll start by giving it great specs, make the chassis comparably thin and rigid… And, because we’re one of the leading manufacturers of IPS displays…wait for it… …we’ll outsource some mediocre panel from some generic OEM!”

LG shareholders: [i<]crickets chirping[/i<] The only computer enthusiast in the room: [i<]Facepalm[/i<] Chief of R&D for computers at LG: "And the base price will be $1,500!" LG shareholders: [i<]Thunderous applause, cheering[/i<] The only computer enthusiast in the room: [i<]muffled disbelieving laughter[/i<]

• adisor19

Awesome resolution !

Adi

/sarcasm

• 5150

No need for the slashies, nobody really takes you seriously anyway.

• adisor19

Haters gonna hate.

Adi

• tay

[quote<]with a 13.3" display that pumps out 1366x768 pixels[/quote<] Why use shitty language like pumps out especially for something that is distinctly average?

• Ricardo Dawkins

You would never buy any Windows based laptop, anyway.

• adisor19

Umm, so the Vostrotosh 3400 that i hackintoshed doesn’t count ?

Adi

is it running Windows?

• adisor19

It was for a while.. Not anymore 🙂

Adi

OK that’s kind of Ricardo’s point. If it doesn’t run OS X you’re not interested.

• adisor19

Umm, so the fact that i bought one doesn’t count ?!

Adi

It’s no longer Windows-based, is it?

• adisor19

But I BOUGHT it !

I spend my $ on Dell hardware rather than Apple. Come on, that’s gotta count for something..

Adi

dude you’re getting a dell.