2GB Battlefield 3 PC update rolling out today

If, like me, you’ve sunk far too many hours into Battlefield 3‘s multiplayer, you’ll be happy to know that a huge update full of bug fixes and balance tweaks is due out today. In fact, it’s probably out already. DICE’s Mikael Kalms posted on the official forums on Friday to say the update roll-out would begin at 8AM GMT on December 6.

The update includes both server-side and client-side components, with the latter weighing in at an elephantine 2GB. Kalms attributes the client update’s huge footprint to its inclusion of "most of the content" from the upcoming Back to Karkand expansion, which is due out on December 13. Thankfully, he says, future expansions will be optional downloads.

The change log in Kalms’ post lists a total of 29 bug fixes and 34 balance adjustments. DICE has purportedly eliminated several crash-inducing bugs, and it’s made other much-needed balance tweaks, like reducing the blinding power of the tactical light and limiting the range of the IRNV night-vision scope. I’m more wary of some of the other changes, though. For instance, DICE says it’s "slightly decreased the accuracy for all weapons on fully automatic."

Seasoned players will probably want to check the forum post for a full list of changes. Others will probably find their eyes glazing over, so look at your own peril.

• C-A_99

I wonder if they fixed the toggle ADS/zoom for mounted machine guns which are always set to hold for ADS/zoom regardless of your setting. From what I played last time though, they seem to have ignored the issue or otherwise didn’t fix it.

• gmskking

Sucks to be a PC gamer. Patches upon patches for every game. Console gaming is the best because you don’t have to deal with this bullsh*t.

• squeeb

Right, its not like they patch games on console…

• hansmuff

Right because on the PC, they hold back all the fixes that the console had at launch… *crickets*

• Bensam123

…fixes and features.

• indeego

I appreciated this troll, at least.

• Kurotetsu

And THIS is why you wait for the Game of the Year Edition (or equivalent) before buying a game.

<EA> “LOL, we only shipped half the game. Here’s the other half!”

<Everyone_Else> “I paid $60 for this?”

• travbrad

I did the exact opposite of waiting, and pre-ordered on amazon for $50, which includes this karkand expansion for free. 🙂

• Airmantharp

Same here- and getting the game at release meant being able to level with everyone else, instead of having to fight from the bottom when everyone else has everything unlocked and the levels all memorized.

• LiquidSpace

They should make maps playable even when there’s no one in the game, so people could learn the maps and how to fly choppers and jets without being yelled at for not PTFOing.

• Arclight

Pls. read patch notes.

• gorillagarrett

Honestly, they need to up the texture quality big time.I play on Ultra with deferred AA off and i can barely see stuff in front of me.It’s too foggy with all the Dust (motion Blur) and low quality textures that it really hurts my eyes.Oh and that sunshine, along with the shiny surfaces is just cheap..

Also, The knifing “process” is obsoletely flawed.I could be stranding right beside someone and i don’t kill him.
    They stole that crappy knifing mechanism from COD and it doesn’t work.I wouldn’t swing my knife to kill someone, i would stab him/her, which is how it works in BC2.

Edit: They didn’t even fix the big, fat chat window that everyone’s been complaining about..

• Kollaps

You can reduce or completely disable motion blur in BF3. My other suggestions are to have your vision checked or to stop exaggerating.

• kamikaziechameleon

yeah he can turn off all his complaints, lol. its there for those who want it and doesn’t have to be for emo kids.

• curls

Can we stop all the bitching all the time? It’s a great game. If you dont like it, go play something else.

• gorillagarrett

People are free to express their opinions.If you don’t like go nag elsewhere!!

• Pzenarch

Why should curls “go nag elsewhere”?… isn’t he/she just expressing their opinion? Hypocrite 😛

• Bensam123

I think that was the point… <<

• CampinCarl

Oh, I’m sorry for complaining about the fact that I can no longer play a game I paid $60 for. Why? Because with the first set of “bug fixes” they made it so my game only crashes! Can’t even get it to open.

So yes, people are going to complain. Your head is in the sand if you think people are complaining solely because they ‘don’t like it’.

• curls

thats a legitimate reason to complain… i would be upset too. my comments are for the ones who nitpick everything.

if you can get it to run, it’s a great time. hope you can get your game on soon.

• spigzone

How about you keep mollifying upbeat comments over on glasshalffull.com?

• Bensam123

Some people like to make things better, that involves criticism. Other people like to pretend everything is fine and that entails a hefty dose of ignorance and trying to get everyone else to stop telling you that you’re living in a dreamworld.

• ronch

I really wish devs would quit the habit of rolling out these major patches so soon after a game is released. Why couldn’t they have made the game as polished before launch? It’s almost as though they need to release it so they can use those folks who bought the game to test the game for them instead of their in-house testers. Not all of us have blazing fast connections, you know.

• indeego

They have beancounters that know that if they release before Thanksgiving they’ll make X more in profit than waiting for quality code.

The real question is why consumers put up with this year-over-year. I suspect mindless consumerism, or bored people in their teens/20’s raised on the “gotta-have-it-now” mentality.

• KilgoreTrout

The patch contains (most of) the data for the expansion Back to Karkand, which to my knowledge was not finished at launch. You don’t need 4 gigs of data to nerf and buff some weapons.

It could well be argued that people who don’t want the expansion shouldn’t have to download the data for it, though. DICE has acknowledged this problem.

• kamikaziechameleon

So basically the game is finally out of beta?

• ter1430

No realy 2Go for this patch but 3.9Go. And for me, I can still play online because of problems in connection

• philippe.carrier

I see 3.9 GB on PC too…

is it 3.9GB to download or is that the install size? It might be very well compressed for the download but require more space to be installed.

• eloj

It’s reporting the uncompressed size in order to boost the reported throughput speed so that people “feel” like it’s a lot faster than Steam.

I have proof of this because the reported “download speed” of this patch exceeded the speed at which my ADSL modem is negotiated.

• travbrad

Yep I was downloading at almost “2.5MB/s” and my connection is only 15mbit (around 1.5MB/s). I checked my router bandwidth logs and it was only about 2GB.

• Meadows

Is this “2Go” some kind of new sports drink brand perhaps?

• Farting Bob

3.9Go gives you wings.

• Walkintarget

2GB ?? Pshhh, the Wings of Prey update that rolled out over last weekend weighed in at over 5GB .. and most of that was just a ‘Winter’ skins update.

• indeego

Meh. Walkintarget not impressed by patch size.

• Walkintarget

Ya, I hate to bust on BF3, as I built a new PC in anticipation of liking the game, but it just didn’t do anything for me. I had issues with both Origin AND connecting to a fave’d server, so it didn’t take long for me to give up on it and move on to the next game.

After all these years, I still play CoH:OF on an almost daily basis. My fast muscle twitch skills have deteriorated a lot from my Quake 1 days, so a nice beer ‘n pretzels strategy game is right up my alley.

• VILLAIN_xx

It was 7.8gb for me. I had to RE-download it even after it confirmed to finish downloading the first time.
      F#@$!n ricoculous!

Or as I like to call it: International BF3 Butthurt Day.