Stylized puzzle platformer Pid due next year

If there’s one thing I’m a sucker for, it’s artsy-lookin’ indie puzzle platformers. From Braid and Limbo to Saira and Trine, they’re almost always unique, daring, and a ton of fun to play. It looks like we’re now due for another one. As Joystiq reports, Swedish studio Might And Delight has announced Pid, a delightfully stylized platformer due out on the PC and consoles next year.

Here’s the spiel from the studio’s press release:

In the fantastic world of Pid, the player’s unique and eccentric journey unfolds as the protagonist is stranded on a remote planet. Players hone their gaming abilities through creative approaches to gravitybending action, intricate puzzle-solving and classic precision platform action, overcoming larger-than-life obstacles and surprisingly original enemy characters. Throughout the course of the adventures in Pid, players will be challenged to outwit a variety of quirky robots and befriend unlikely allies on their quest to face-off against a ruler that has no intention of letting anyone leave the planet.

…and here’s the official trailer:

According to a separate report by Rock, Paper, Shotgun, the Might And Delight team includes folks who worked on the Battlefield series, Bionic Commando, Killzone, and Mirror’s Edge. Judging by the graphics quality and attention to detail in the trailer, one would certainly get the impression that industry veterans had a hand in this. We’ll have to see for ourselves whether the full game is any fun, of course, but I have a good feeling about this one.

• indeego

Kinda funny in that Trine, Limbo, Braid were all games I gave-up on about mid-point because their uniqueness did not extend throughout the life of the game to capture and hold interest.

These games’ art styles initially impresses as a shock value, but the novelty wears off soon as with many platformers as repetitive and dull. The days of jumping puzzles/mario-fests are over for me, I suppose.

Bring back the plot in a game. And no, Bioshock and Deux Ex:HR are not interesting plots, I’m afraid. Good starts, however!

Indeego not impressed.

• Xenolith

Looks good. Reminds me that I need to finish Limbo.

• Farting Bob

It does seem to me every indie game these days is a “artistic, stylish” platformer. But i dont like platformers. They bore me and frustrate me. Yet it seems every other indie game to get a bit of attention is one. And they are largely all the same, except the art background.

• Meadows

The video’s ending made me think they’re making fun of Limbo. Bad.

• WillBach

Looks like Oddworld. In other words, bring it on!

• fantastic

Portal’s repulsion beams? Someone else probably has prior art before Portal…

Moves a little faster than Portal and a little more shooting. Might be good.

• sweatshopking

i like trine, and i am also looking forward to this one!

• Voldenuit

I like that TR is giving its readers exposure to indie games – there are some great titles out there.

You guys should check out Bastion – I’ve just spent the last couple of weekends playing through it, and it is very beautiful and a lot of fun.

• mikehodges2

Much prefer the look of this to Trine. Looks awesome, can’t wait!

• odizzido

Trine is a beautiful game. The music, narration, and graphics work so well.

I didn’t get that feeling from this trailer.