DirectX 11 patch released for Batman: Arkham City

Aside from its frustrating onion-like layers of copy protection, Batman: Arkham City had one other little problem when it hit PCs last month: broken DirectX 11 support. Developer Rocksteady Studios has now released a patch that purportedly addresses DirectX 11 issues "for the majority of players" and squashes a handful of other bugs, as well.

The list of fixes includes:

• Performance / hitching issues have been greatly improved for running in DX 11.
  • An issue with players running out of Video Memory or encountering a Rendering Thread Exceptions has been addressed. This was primarily affecting 32-bit Operating Systems.
  • A progression block after defeating Ra’s Al Ghul has been fixed. This was an issue that occurred primarily on lower end computer setups and is described as Batman not readying his Reverse Batarang.
  • A crash that occurred when scrolling between the Character Bios and Arkham City Stories has been fixed.
  • A crash that occurred when selecting “Press Start” immediately when available at the Title Screen has been fixed. The issue was described as crashing/hard locking around the DLC (Downloadable Content) check.

If you’re puzzled over the "majority of players" part, here’s the deal. Rocksteady says Steam users running 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7 "should avoid running the game under DX 11 until further notice." That would seem to suggest everyone else is okay as long as they’re running a 64-bit version of Windows or not using Steam.

Alas, multiple responses to Rocksteady’s post in the Arkham City forums hint that the DirectX 11 bugs are still very much alive and kicking, even among users of 64-bit operating systems. One writes, "this patch doesnt fix bad performance for me in dx11 its a bit better but still stutters." Another, who claims to be runing dual GeForce GTX 580 graphics cards and Windows 7 x64, adds, "Sadly didnt fix anything for me either, Still getting crazy low Fps no matter what settings i choose (drops to 20’s)." Rocksteady may have some more work to do.

• tanker27

Even with the patch DX11 is still unplayable. :/ Not that it really matters to me, the game is still fun. And dame those Joker puzzles are hard, but I am enjoying the cranked up difficulty.

• ShadowTiger

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zVPPKE_OA[/url<] I haven't played but found this video comparison. Watchign at 1080p, I can't really see much difference except a tree that has tessellation bumps. I never really bought into the idea of DX11 features, I really think its just a racket to get people to upgrade to newer graphics cards. Thanks nVidia (for actively pushing studios to put physx and dx11 in their games).

• Dygear

A racket started by Microsoft and AMD (ATi) and nVidia just happly hummed a tune when they relized they can put something else on their cover design that increments a number. Or it could be that I’m pretty bitter about the ‘new’ mobile GPUs being the same thing as the last product they released, and that’s pretty much the same as the previous product as well. Augh!

• indeego

Not like people weren’t warned with DX10 on Vista. That was a complete joke. I really hope people weren’t hoping DX11 would be the saving grace.

• d0g_p00p

This game is a total disaster. With its multi app install process, broken DX 11, broken save system, broken graphics, etc etc. This is the first time I bought the console version over the PC release. The Sad really because I miss my K&M.

• burntham77

The multi-app install was odd, but I do have to give them credit for the Steam version, which gives you GFWL achievements and Steam achievements at the same time. This is the first game I have played that does that, and I would love to see more of that.

• xeridea

I guess Rocksteady doesn’t make things “rock steady”, or even “steady”.

• gmskking

This is why I do not game on the PC. With console games, you put the disc in and the game just works. No bull.

• achaycock

I’ll bite.

Really, console gaming is that trouble free these days? No need to download patches before you can play? No DRM of any sort? Really?

Look, some PC games have their issues I grant you, but a lot either don’t or have them improved on constantly over time. Frankly I don’t rate one over the other, I sincerely hope PC and console gaming thrive together for years to come, but the days of console gaming having no bull arr fast declining.

• eloj

Lame troll isn’t playing Skyrim on the PS3 I guess.

• Kurotetsu

That used to be case, that’s not going to last now that devs can push out patches after the fact like they do PCs.

• Spotpuff

The game was unplayable for me in DX11. Stuttering completely wrecked combat.

DX9 the game plays and looks fine, but it’s stupid to see all the layers of DRM and delayed PC release for no reason other than apparently to piss everyone off.

• dashbarron

The release of the entire game was pushed back a year so they could “polish and refine the gameplay and graphics.” Then the PC version was pushed back twice more…and then we, the PC gamers, are left holding the bag with a pretty substantial bug that makes playing with the high-level graphics unplayable; ironically one of the main reasons they touted as for pushing back the release.

I tried waiting for the release but finally broke down and started playing. It’s an amazingly fun game but it’s still extremely disappointing.

• Kurotetsu

It seems they allocated all that polishing and refinement to the DX9 version, considering you can play it at 2560×1600 and easily get 60fps. I guess thats not terribad, but they should’ve cancelled/blocked the DX11 version altogether for the release and enabled it later.

• indeego

Voting by not buying it at release pricepoint is directly how you can speak your mind. Companies respond to sales, not forum posts. If only the rest of the world spoke as loud and clear.

• dashbarron

Except this was suppose to be available immediately and working at release. We’ve been shamboozled.

• --k

Waiting a few months to a year before buying a hot game enables me to bypass a lot of the hurdles that early adopters face. Of course, by the time I get around to it, it’s no longer hot and can be purchased at a sizable discount. Maybe I’m getting old, but I don’t feel the urge to be caught up in hype when it’s released.

• burntham77

I agree. I played the game and loved it, but I played it with DX11 turned off, sadly. I thought that was why they delayed the game, to fix all of this. Clearly they failed, which is especially disappointing on a game that is clearly a candidate for Game of the Year, and really one of the best games I have played in awhile.

• Dposcorp

Thats funny…….was listening to the podcast discuss this on the way to work today