Poll: What’s the best PC game of 2011?

This holiday season has been a busy one on the PC gaming front. Looking back, so has the year as a whole. We’ve been treated to a myriad of releases spanning multiple genres, and a number of titles have been particularly good. Battlefield 3 and Portal 2 stand above all the rest for me, but I’ve not yet had the time to sink my teeth in a few of the other new games that have collected in my Steam folder. Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Batman: Arkham City are next in the queue, and both have received heaps of critical acclaim.

If you go by Metacritic scores alone, Portal 2 and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim tie for best PC game of the year. We’ve assembled a larger list of options for our own best-of-2011 list, and you can vote for your favorite in our new poll. Votes can be cast below or in the middle column on the front page. If your favorite game of the year isn’t on that list, feel free to mention it in the comments.

Our last poll asked voters to select the upcoming chip that glows most prominently on their radar. Intel’s Ivy Bridge CPU took the top spot with 38% of the vote, suggesting that CPU upgrades are on a lot of folks’ minds. A fair number of people (15%) are eagerly anticipating AMD’s Trinity processor, which will meld Radeon graphics with Piledriver CPU cores. More of you are looking forward to AMD’s new discrete Radeons, though. 21% of the vote went to the Southern Islands GPU that will underpin AMD’s next-gen graphics cards, while only 12% have Nvidia’s incoming Kepler GPU at the top of their list. More folks (14%) chose instead to channel Krogoth; they’re really not impressed with any of the upcoming chips from AMD, Intel, or Nvidia.

• maroon1

I’m really surprised that Skyrim got most votes. This game might be 100 hours long, but most of the quests in that game are boring and repetitive. Storyline is not good either

Personally, I enjoyed witcher 2 and even Deus Ex more than Skyrim

And I enjoyed Sonic Generation and Trine 2 more than most of the games in the list.

• kamikaziechameleon

Finished witcher 2, really impressive game but Now the bar is set high, they will really have to tighten up on lots of elements to make a relevant sequel. The pacing and presentation stumble at times really hurting all the game works for, also broken questing etc is quite frustrating. Still the orgainic nature of the central story is extremely enjoyable.

Started deus ex, about 15 hrs in. As with the witcher 2 this game feels so fresh you get over rough edges, for me that is primarily the game engine, it is just lame. The art strives as much as it can to pick up the slack, the story isn’t so much great or even original but the setting is extremely compelling as is the thematic elements. The quasi open world and level design really excel in a peerless fashion, if only mission design was as impressive. I’ve encountered ambiguous moments where I wast time traveling around when there is nothing gained because mission objectives aren’t adequately updated.

Will be working through 2011 and 2010 games in the months ahead as I’ve finally got enough time but once spring strikes… yeah only after dark. so far really enjoying last year.

• kamikaziechameleon

Just got around to playing the witcher 2 and WOW not a perfect game by any means but damn good. What I wouldn’t give to see that developer get some more money. If they resolved a few glaring design issues mainly based in the early game with what they give you and when. like how you have access to many advanced mechanics and yet have to unlock the basic parry function even though its in the tutorial!

The themes and elements are really well conceived and the game engine is a stunner. The hair needs allot of work and the animations/lip-syncing are also kinda archaic but damn. The art design is AMAZING! The world just looks so lived in. I’m just about to exit act 1 we will see what happens. I also really really really like the game mechanics. There are so many layers to the combat. I’m extremely happy with this game. I just wish enemy AI did more. I’m really looking forward to completing this adventure.

• h4x0rpenguin

[s<]I almost had a heart attack when I realized I haven't played /any/ of those titles. I'm sure I'll eventually sink at least 200 hours into BF3, but until then... It's Angry Birds: Rio for me. Minimal cinematics which are still able to narrate the story effectively, entertaining boss fights, exquisite locations, characters that really grow on you and nice in-game music. All that in a puzzle solver. And I probably spent more time playing it than any of the Call of Duty titles (took me ~3 days to get all the stars; while I finished all the CoD titles except MW3, which I havent played yet, in one sitting - all in 'veteran' mode). My only gripe was that it appears to be dumbed down to suit mainstream gamers, so only a handful of levels were actually challenging... I hope by the time this poll comes around next year I'll have put in several hundred hours each into BF3, DOTA 2 and any other worthy titles.[/s<] Just noticed the "PC" bit in the title. My bad.

• Kaleid

1. Batman Arkham City (better than the movies)
    2. Deus Ex Human Revolution (close second. First person = yeah!)
    3. Skyrim (which isn’t really new, it’s all too familiar but it gives plenty of hours to waste)

Played a bit Serious Sam 3, seems good… but not GOTY material.

• Mopar63

Skyrim really stands out this year plus the games go to a whole new level when you stop doing the typical video game wimpout and play like it should be played. What I mean is do not use exploits, no use of the quick travel. Spend more time walking around the game than running and play in a Dead is Dead style so when you die you DIE! Of course there are exception in the case of a game glitch and such.

When you play it hardcore like this the game comes alive! It takes me back to the old days of pen and paper DnD when we did not have this kind of gaming experiences available.

I am an old school gamer and have played most of the games listed above, I can tell you that Skyrim stands heads and shoulders above the others.

• xtalentx

Yeah, good luck with that.

• paulWTAMU

While I’m at it let me rub myself with sandpaper and sprinkle the raw flesh with salt. No thanks. I play for fun, not bragging rights.

• d34thly

More power to you (but at that rate of play style you’ll never get to level 82, maybe in 2015). Also keep in mind that most of us started exploiting because we didn’t want to sink all that time into another dead end character. I’m on my 6th character that went past level 79 and it took me all 5 previous characters to find out how to get through campaign/quest stopping glitches like: Ulfric won’t talk to you again to complete the stormcloak campaign after you’ve taken the oath and done the first two quests; Forswarn conspiracy can’t be completed when your contacts are already dead before you get to them; Cannot become Thane of Solitude sometimes if you help 5 people before the sexy Jarl asks you to, or even if you purchase furniture for your house or enter it before becoming thane; Becoming thane of Riften is even more of a confusing glitch because you cannot purchase furniture or enter your house before being awarded the title of thane, plus there is a very specific order to do things in Riften so that the Jarl won’t glitch into never awarding you title of thane; The Theives guild missions can never be completed if you are unfortunate enough to get the glitch where the argonian guy you are supposed to follow glitches into the ground; The Dark Brotherhood missions cannot be completed if you kill both CiCero and the other dark brotherhood person with the same skill set as cicero previous to becoming a member. BTW sneak-thief-archer FTW!

• IronHalik

Where’s MW3? Ah, there it is, hiding amongst the commoners ;>

• Ryu Connor

Other: Saints Row: The Third

• Jambe

This game is a hilarious, OTT, offensive, well-crafted extravaganza of silliness and is better than 80% of the games in TR’s list.

• d34thly

I have to admit, that I haven’t played it yet. I have spent a couple hours just beating the crap out of everyone walking about though. PURE FUN!

• cybot_x1024

Solitaire, anyone?

• Kevlar

None of them There are an infinite possibilities when it comes to distracting one self from spiritual matters by everyday trivia.

• BobbinThreadbare

Total War: Shogun 2.

I voted for Witcher 2 myself, and Portal 2 was great too. I don’t think I’ve played any other game on this list, though I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like Crysis 2, Dead Island, or Skyrim.

• netkcid

MINECRAFT!!!!

• spigzone

This is easy, Skyrim with it’s mindblowingly expansive world and gameplay and excellent graphics is not only the best video game of ALL time, the glitches will be steadily fixed and the mod scene, which is already going gangbusters, will explode with an incredible variety of new gameplay and content once the Creation Engine is released in January and there’s already an excellent and constantly improving mod installer making activating and deactivating mods drop dead easy and then there’s the Steam Workshop which will host Skyrim mods for those that want to go that route.

And of course Bethesda has already stated it’s intention to release Shivering Isle quality expansion packs.

If you have the graphics horsepower a number of mods have already been released substantially improving the graphics textures across the game to take advantage of it and that’s just a faint taste of what’s to come.

The value per dollar on Skyrim is already far above any other game on the market and will continue to grow for YEARS

What TES VI will bring with next gen graphics and AI as the baseline already has my mouth watering.

• d34thly

I modded females with more realistic bodies and better faces w/make-up, re-textured most the major cities and almost all objects, changed armor and clothing skins, replaced the dragonborn song with Malukah’s version: [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr-buV4tYOA[/url<] and added custom lines in the dialogue tree. I Love Skyrim!!!!

• swaaye

I have to go with Skyrim because of the scope of the game. They try to accomplish so much and the game attracts so many different kinds of gamers that I think it is in a class of its own.

Otherwise I would definitely go with Deus Ex because I am a scifi nut and it has been awhile since a game like that has come along and been quality. Hard Reset was passable, EYE not so much. Dead Space 2 was annoying and certainly not scary for me. Portal 2 was neat but Im no puzzle enthusiast.

DIRT3 was graphically bleh and the gymkana challenges mostly annoying. I ended up putting the difficulty to the bottom to try to complete them and I still had to try over and over frequently.

Rage was pretty good until the awful, cheap ending that felt like a bad map from Quake4.

Dead Island would have been awesome had it been designed for single player and not respawn-coop play ala Borderlands et al.

Crysis 2 was ok but I didnt like the new voiceless take which felt totally stupid during a few of their forced cutscenes when you act like a mute idiot.

• travbrad

BF3, Skyrim, and Deus Ex were my favorites this year. That being said I probably spent more time playing L4D2 than any of them, even though I’ve had it for 2 years.

BF3 definitely has the worst server browser ever made though. Such a good game and such a terrible browser.. MSN Gaming Zone (circa 1999) was a better browser-based game launcher.

• vince

I did not vote. To be able to vote, I would have to have played all of these games.

So my analogy is the following (in all good humor): at current time, there are 2039 TR readers with no lives.

😉

• Stargazer

While I suppose one could argue that in order to say which game is “best” one would need to play all games, I believe that usually one can eliminate a lot of games based on some general information of them and knowledge of what kind of games one is interested in.

I have not played a single one of the games on that list, but I could easily narrow it down to 5 or 6 of them, and with a pretty good certainty say that one of those is the one I’d like the most. (I already own a few of them (but haven’t had time to play them yet), and plan to get a few more)

• vince

Yeah, I really wasn’t serious at all… hehe

But the real reason I didn’t vote is because I only played one of these games (I don’t spend a lot of time gaming, so I tend to stick with one game for a very long time compared to most gamers). For that reason though, I do not think it would be fair for me to vote…

• Stargazer

I don’t really feel qualified to vote either, but it does feel comforting that the games I’ve been planning to play are all doing well in the poll!

• RickyTick

I think you’re right. I had a similar post this morning too.

• d0g_p00p

Voted for Battlefield 3 because I did not see LA Noire on the list. Had LA Noire been on there I would have voted for that. Great game.

• travbrad

Maybe because it’s an interactive movie, not a game? :p

• indeego

The only ones that mildly interested me are Portal 2 and Witcher 2. I have Portal 2 but for some reason I’m not playing it. Haven’t even started it.

– Tired of the Batman/spiderman/superman Genre for life. No more batman ever again. No more comic book characters.
    – Racing games last me a lap and then I literally alt+F4 out of boredom.
    – BF3/MW require MP to get full experience and I’m in my late 30’s and can’t stand snotty kids these days on my gravel.
    – Rage / DE:HR will be fun and eye-candy, I just don’t think they are worth their prices.
    – I was terribly bored of Oblivion. I have issues with the fantasy genre (Why do I care about you people with your wizard hats again?), although Witcher2 I’m looking forward to.
    – I was really looking forward to Dead Island, but the reviews have me put off a tad.

Not qualified to vote, as I haven’t played a single game on here and have been playing indy titles all year. Ask me next year when I spend $60 for all games on this list. 🙂

• RickyTick

I’m not sure how you cast a vote for the BEST game unless you’ve played ALL the games. Otherwise, you’re just saying you played game X and loved it, therefore it’s better than everything else on the list.

• Thresher

I just can’t vote for Skyrim. It’s just too damned buggy. If it worked even reasonably well across platforms, I would vote for it, but it doesn’t.

Portal 2 gets my vote.

• dashbarron

Oh Hell, what about Minecraft? That released this year…officially. Played loads of that.

• d34thly

Minecraft isn’t really a game. It is a toolbox to make a game. That’s like being asked to judge the best treehouse and voting for the kid with a pile of lumber, a box of nails and some tools lying under the tree. edit: building a tree house is loads of fun, but for me Minecraft was not.

• indeego

Then you’d leave out great classics like sim city, roller coaster tycoon as games.

• Kollaps

I don’t think his comment does that at all. In fact, his comment largely describes how I feel about Minecraft. It brings a foundation for a game but there’s no actual game there. That’s not the case with Sim City or Roller Coaster Tycoon or even lesser sandbox games like Tropico. Those games give you a reason to build your theme park or city. You’re required to make choices to build a thriving environment and you’re rewarded for making good choices or punished for bad ones. In Minecraft there’s only two reasons to build: protection from mobs or just building to build.

That’s a really big problem in my opinion.

Minecraft’s mechanics are awful. Building isn’t fun because it takes an equally large amount of time just pressing forward and holding down the mouse button while you stare at brown blocks. Those moments, and they represent a large portion of Minecraft, are incredibly boring. I never received satisfaction for anything I did in Minecraft. Building wasn’t engaging like it would be with real life Lego bricks. The best protection from monsters is just a box.

When I’ve tried to play Minecraft, and it’s been a lot, it felt like work. Maybe it’s my problem. I can’t role play and create my own game in Minecraft. But either way I’ve always felt disappointed, that it could be an amazing game but right now (and it doesn’t seem like Notch and Co. care much) it’s not a game at all.

• d34thly

Well said. I loooooooove Legos, K’nex, Erector sets and Robotix. I am not saying bad things about Minecraft, I am simply stating that I could extract no pleasure from it personally.

• dashbarron

Tie between Witcher 2 and Batman AC. TOR is upcoming though….

• Jahooba

Skyrim is just such a gigantic game, with potentially hundreds of hours of play time in a beautifully realized world – I’d be really surprised if they don’t clean up at award shows.

On the other hand, it depends on how one judges a game. Skyrim has a lot of bugs, whereas Portal 2 was one of the ‘cleanest’ PC gaming experiences I’ve ever had. I didn’t have to tweak anything – just chose my settings and it looked and ran phenomenally. By contrast, I’m 200 hours into Skyrim and I’m still fiddling with the graphics settings.

However, the shear size, scope, and gameplay potential (I say potential because Skyrim is a choose-your-own-gameplay adventure) is powerful enough to outweigh all its bugs and shortcomings, I feel. Skyrim, GOTY.

• Silus

Skyrim hands down…it’s actually the best game of that last 10 or so years…
    And I don’t think we’ll have anything better in the near future either. The only thing that can dethrone Skyrim is Elder Scrolls 6!

• yogibbear

I either smell sarcasm or this is like the first time I disagree with one of your comments.

• Silus

Why would it be sarcasm ? Skyrim is my favorite game for a long time now. I find it even better than Morrowind, that was my favorite of all the Elder Scrolls games thus far. Oblivion was good, just not at the level of Morrowind.
        Going outside of the Elder Scrolls games, I have a hard time finding anything as good in the past 10 years or so. I liked Just Cause 2 a lot, since it’s a lot of fun to play. I also liked Metro 2033. THe setting was great for a shooter and the graphics are top notch…Crysis was a very good shooter with phenomenal graphics, but gameplay wise it can’t compared with a TES game.
        Batman AA was very good too, but I actually never finished it (there was always some other game at the time that took over my attention). Mirror’s Edge was very original and I’m waiting for the sequel! BF3 can’t be beat in terms fo multiplayer action, but the singleplayer is just like any other shooter, with better graphics.

So lots of good or very good games, but none reach the greatness of Skyrim and I honestly don’t see that changing until the next Elder Scrolls comes out.

• kristi_johnny

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim best game since STALKER series :), not because of the graphics (wich is pretty good), but because of the gameplay, the freedom to move in a vast world (like STALKER).

I’ve played COD: MW3 and finished it in like 6 hours (medium dificulty), Elders Scrolls will take a lot more 🙂

• d34thly

I haven’t played the SP in CoD since CoD 2. Skyrim only took me 4 hours to finish the first time, but I haven’t stopped playing it yet and won’t anytime soon (my current character is maxed at level 82 and i’ve only completed like 25% of the quests). The only way to max out is to choose not to level up until you have trained 5 times with every type of trainer in Skyrim for every level, then level up and do it again. You only have to shoot 12 arrows to max archery to 100 if you train with Angie last (if money is an issue, have each trainer follow you for a sec after training and “trade” with them by taking all their gold). Also remember to tilde “player.modav speedmult xxx” (default speed being 100). I keep my speed at 300 since skyrim’s default speed makes me feel like a drunk, mentally challenged, geriatric senior with a broken hip and walker ( maybe it’s because i took an arrow to the knee).

• danny e.

I’m still playing Borderlands. got all the expansion packs recently.

• d34thly

I did play through 1 and 2 on every expansion pack with every caracter at least two times. Fun game, but way too easy.

• JohnC

Where’s the “none” option in this poll??? I have played most of these games (and some which aren’t mentioned) and for some reason NONE of them really “stood out” to be considered “the best”. Many of them were good and enjoyable, some are surprisingly so – I was pleasantly surprised how good DX:HR turned out, same goes for Witcher 2 and Skyrim. None of them, however, were “exciting” enough for me. Portal 2 was just “meh” – a solid and somewhat entertaining game but worse than original (I felt the same way when the HL2:EP2 was released). Including Rage and MW3 in these polls is kinda ridiculous – it feels like a very poor attempt at trolling (better way would be to include DNF) or a bad case of “blind fanboyism”… Anyway, I’m pretty sure that Skyrim will eventually win but personally I haven’t felt like any single game of this year was significantly better than the rest.

• forumics

for somebody who can type a whole paragraph, i wonder how you failed to realize that the topic of the poll was the best pc game OF 2011 not OF ALL TIME.

• lilbuddhaman

[quote<]but personally I haven't felt like any single game of [u<]this year[/u<] was significantly better than the rest.[/quote<] For someone who can comment on a paragraph, perhaps you should read it next time?

• Meadows

[quote<]"Portal 2 was just "meh" - a solid and somewhat entertaining game but worse than original (I felt the same way when the HL2:EP2 was released)"[/quote<] Does your brain function?

• entropy13

I’ve already voted in several polls for this all over the interwebs…looks like the 2 front-runners are all the same. It’s either Battlefield 3 or TES V: Skyrim. It goes a bit hazier after that, but the usual suspects in all of the polls are Portal 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and The Witcher 2.

• d34thly

I am a fascist FPS junkie and avid RPG hater, but my vote went to Skyrim. I mean, damn, i haven’t had the urge to shoot anyone since 11-11-11 (unless it’s with my Daedric bow of the Inferno). I will concede that the graphics are sub-par and the main story quests are kinda generic, but hell, I modded it to look pretty and I do everything except the main quests. This game is so hellasiously fun it makes me giddy. Battlefield 3 and ModernWarfare 3 don’t let you insta-strip the person you just sneak killed. My kids all know when I’ve sneak killed and looted because I can’t refrain from blurting “NEKiD!” everytime.

• Joerdgs

Gah, hard one to decide. I enjoyed many of these games (Portal 2, The Witcher 2, Crysis 2, Deus Ex HR, Battlefield 3 and Skyrim). Damn that’s a lot of sequels.

If I’d decide based on what will be my entertainment for the coming months, I’d go with Battlefield 3.

If I’d decide based on the adventure it brought me upon release, I’d go with Deus Ex / Skyrim / The Witcher 2.

If I’d decide based on clever and streamlined game design, I’d go with Portal 2.

• burntham77

Making me choose between Portal 2, Batman: AC, and Deus Ex: HR is NOT fair, sir. Not fair.

I guess I’ll give it to Deus Ex because of the sheer number of choices it gives you for playing through each area. Batman was great but it had too many frustrating Riddler puzzles and Portal 2, while brilliant, lacked replay-ability.

• oldog

Where’s the love for LIMBO?

• Geistbar

My vote goes out for The Witcher 2; I felt it had a wonderful story and compelling characters. It had its flaws- the inventory was notoriously iffy- but it’s definitely the game I enjoyed the most this year.

I find it somewhat disappointing that Skyrim has gotten so many more votes than it, as I didn’t particularly enjoy Skyrim. Not that it’s a bad game, mind you, but I didn’t find it very compelling. I can see why others enjoy it- it’s just too bad they didn’t also enjoy The Witcher 2 as well.

• oldog

My thoughts exactly.

• d34thly

I can’t play a game that won’t let me remap buttons in this day and age.
      Really, I got minused for stating that games these days should allow you to map your keyboard how you like it? (must’ve been that special kid that’s posting about nintendo games) You’re right, freedom and greater immersion with input devices waaaaaaaaaay overrated. Boooo me!

• paulWTAMU

fixed that -`1 for you. Remapping should be essential at this point.

• Triple Zero

Witcher 2 got my vote since it’s the only game on this list that I’ve played. But I’ve only played two games released this year and the first one, Dragon Age 2, didn’t make TR’s list of nominees for [i<]Best PC Game Of 2011[/i<]. But I enjoyed Witcher 2 much more than I did Dragon Age 2 so no problem for me.

• xtalentx

I really tried to like the Witcher 2 but just could not get into it. I didn’t like the combat and couldn’t make it past 2 hours into the game. Just wasn’t as good as the first imo..

• yogibbear

The combat in the Witcher 2 had a much steeper learning curve, but it is actually WAAAAAAAY more exciting. I loved the combat. I actually think that is the no. 1 reason why it was such a great game. I was very angry when I heard they were changing the combat mechanics over the first game initially. But after 3 or 4 hrs into the game and you understand how to use each of the skills, you start to master it and then once you get over that initial bump the rest becomes so much more awesome. I think the problem is that gamers these days are used to being able to find 1 or 2 mechanics that they like and just spam those, whereas the Witcher 2 really made you have to use the ENTIRE range of tricks at hand to dominate.

• Prion

Hitogata Happa imo, part of the Gundemonium Collection on Steam.

• Buzzard44

Meh, Krogoth used to play games, but then he took an arrow in the knee.

• Kaleid

What a shame. He never asked for it.

• Krogoth

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAlPx7ll7kA[/url<]

• d34thly

Damn, everytime there’s a youtube link I lose an hour of my day.

• Stargazer

[url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g[/url<]

There goes another hour 🙂

• 5150

Minecraft – The only game I’ve gotten into this year.

• ShadowTiger

Terraria and Magicka are probably my favorite of the year… not sure which I would put at the top. The problem with most of the games you listed is that they aren’t very original.

• Jambe

Terraria. Yes.

• Bensam123

I think this is a bit too early, we may have some late releases in December before christmas. SWTOR and D3 are on the horizon.

I put down Skyrim. Having played a lot of the other titles including DXHR, Rage, Witch2, BF3, Bulletstorm, DI, C2, MW3, and P2, none of them really stood up to the amount of time and joy I had playing Skyrim. True Skyrim really isn’t anything new compared to Oblivion, but I really liked Oblivion and it’s still a very solid game.

Honorable mentions: Portal 2 had a great story, but it was short and didn’t really have the ‘bang’ associated with a climax. Bulletstorm had amazing scenery, kudos to their art team! I honestly would play the game just to look at the art. Witcher 2 I’m still working on and I like the story, but those kinds of RPGs are just not my thing.

I will also add that I finished playing through Metro 2033. I recommend anyone who hasn’t played it, play through it. It has a very unique story and feeling to it that I can’t quite describe. Definitely original and I would rate it up there among the best.

• Farting Bob

Its a shame only 3 of those games are new titles (Bulletstorm, Dead Island and Rage), and none of them offer anything really new to the table. Rage you could say tried at least to offer something a bit different.

I havent played many PC games this year, in fact the only new games ive played are Portal 2 and Rage, and neither of those really kept me engaged long enough for me to say they were the best of the year. So a no-vote from me.

• Bensam123

Yeah… really it’s a year of remakes, but what can you do? We really need a prodigy in the video game industry, but anyone smart enough knows not to enter it.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Portal 2 was quite possibly my favorite game ever.

• Farting Bob

was? Meaning its already lost that honour?

• ALiLPinkMonster

Well… WAS in the context of “when I WAS playing it”. Unfortunately I played it on the 360, so my play time was limited by the lack of extra puzzles and a whole community of player created ones. Still my favorite though.

• Krogoth

I gave Deus Ex: Human Revolution the nod as it at least tried to something a little different.

Most of the other choices on the list are just graphical updates of their franchises.

Duke Nukem Forever gets a special award from escaping development hell. The final game was okay, not as bad as reviewers made out it to be. DNF was an affectionate parody of the FPS for the entire 2000-2010 era.

• entropy13

Wow, so adding a “Meh, Krogoth not impressed (of any games in 2011)” option would be pointless.

• d34thly

Deus Ex: Human Conversation. I really love this game with the exception of the talky bits that plague 60% of it.

• yogibbear

Did you play Deus Ex original?

• AGerbilWithAFootInTheGrav

Other: Serious Sam 3

• Noigel

Voted BF3 because of the replayability. I loved Witcher 2 and Portal 2 but the time I spent with them versus the time I’ve already spent with BF3 can’t compare.

Blast you “loot” system!

• Compton

People play Madden 12 a lot too, but that doesn’t make it the GOTY.

I haven’t played the Witcher 2, or Batman (though I did get it free with a Samsung 830). Deus Ex was awesome, and so was Portal 2. But the original Portal was more of a ground-breaking affair. So I voted for Skyrim, because it might be -similar- to Oblivion in some respects but it’s a Magnum Opus. The people who created it cared about not only the game itself, but the community-at-large of PC gamers. No game inspires the PC gaming community like Skyrim.

• d34thly

or Madden Warfare for that matter. Good game, but I have been playing it since 2001 when CoD was still called Medal of Honor. Here it is, over a decade later, and a fascist FPS junkie like me is finally bored to tears of shooting (unless it’s with a bow).

• DeadOfKnight

Wow, this is a hard one. I picked SKYRIM just because looking forward it promises so many more hours of enjoyment, especially after the creation kit comes out and is in the hands of the modders who are going to make this game even more awesome.

However, I have to give honorable mention to the following:

Batman: Arkham City (even if you do make me put up with GFWL)
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution for truly living up to its hype
    Portal 2 for a satisfying sequel, albeit not as challenging as the first
    The Witcher 2 for doing the cRPG right, without all the DRM
    Battlefield 3 for showing everyone that PC gaming>Console gaming

• MrBojangles

I agree completely about portal 2. I enjoyed the story and witty/dark comedy.(in that last test you soared majestically like an eagle………flying a blimp). The game play itself however just wasn’t on par with the first. Despite all the new additions the puzzles just weren’t as challenging and half them didn’t even feel like “puzzles” per say. More like i was simply playing Where’s Waldo?? with the one random spot i can make a portal to.

• LiamC

Duke! Hail to the King baby 🙂

Seriously, Skyrim

• Pettytheft

Bastion is the most fun I’ve had playing a game in a long time.

• Plazmodeus

An honorable mention would be the PC version of Limbo, which I bought and played through despite owning and having played the XBLA version of. If you love games and are interested in something that is cutting edge, creatively speaking, its pretty great.

• Yeats

Limbo is my favorite of 2011, it was loads of fun. I don’t game nearly as much as I used to, though.

• khands

We need a “There was simply too much awesome packed into one year” option.

• kamikaziechameleon

it was a pretty good year but I don’t feel like there was a good tight sp game. One that really pulls at the range of human emotion. I personally had moments in uncharted or arkham asylum that I haven’t had on pc this year. COD was so flat in narrative punch(and I really enjoyed one and two respectively quite a bit) BF3 sp was… derivative at best often succeeding in setting and gameplay but never in story. portal starts out strong but really just didn’t deliver in any way for me after act 2, then the conclusion was both derivative and flat despite its clever though briefly enjoyed moon twist. Deus Ex nails narrative but stumbles on story. You feel the game through and through but the play and story are kinda clunkily put together not really letting you melt into them. Skyrim is amazing but doesn’t even qualify as playing a story, rather you create the story. Arkham city doesn’t have the same great resonance that the first presented with the scar crow sequences. Assassins creed… the story never really developed in a good way after the second game and pacing is atrocious at best. Rage… need I say more. Witcher 2, for all its strengths is still not as fluid of an experience as bioware would deliver though bioware can only dream of having the writing talent behind the witcher.

I’m not feeling many movies of the last year or games in the story department I haven’t shed a tear not in GoW3 when @#$% died or in uncharted when @#$* died. I haven’t felt unadulterated rage chasing a villain or unrepentant fear fleeing for my life. I haven’t felt loss or appreciation or glee in a sp game this year. 🙁 I just kinda get this detached, that was clever. Uncharted was structured well enough but the story is too pg for me to really whip out the emotion beyond a few good chuckles.

• tviceman

I haven’t played Skyrim or Witcher 2 yet, but out of what I have played, Deus Ex: HR was my favorite.

• crazybus

Game I’ve played the most of on the list? Shift 2, although I don’t think I could call it the best of 2011. I’m sure several of these will be picked up on Steam sales though.

• Arclight

Sorry EA but Bathesda had the best video game of all time (by all time i mean the time span between January 1st 2011 till December 31 2011).

• gorillagarrett

Skyrim by no means is a good game.The game feels, plays, looks and moves exactly like Oblivion.The gameplay is boring and repetitive, and it does not have the exciting and immersive nature that Bf3 has.

Overall, the game is suited for the 10 to 15-year old kids, but the older and experienced gamers, especially the ones who have played Oblivion and got sick of it after a couple of weeks, it doesn’t even impress.

• heinsj24

Spoken like a well-travelled tween.

• BestJinjo

To start with BF3 cannot be the best PC game of the year since it doesn’t have a single-player campaign worth playing. So for anyone that doesn’t care for online multiplayer FPS gaming, it’s not worth buying.

Also, BF3 has done little to reinvent the FPS genre vs. BF:BC2. On the other hand SKYRIM is basically a game where you are free to do anything you want and don’t even need to follow the main quest. BF3 is more satisfactory if you want a fast paced action game, but does it have amazing atmosphere that draws you in, amazing music, writing, story line, ability to replay the quest in different ways several times? No, to all of those.

Anyone can make a game like BF3 (just take BF:BC2, improve the graphics a little, throw in more weapons, change the maps and you are done). BF3 is exactly like MW series in that it’s exactly the same game as the one before it over and over again, with new graphics.

But it actually takes talent and creativity to make a game like SKYRIM or Witcher 2 or Portal 2.

Also, the Origin browser interface is awkward.

And that’s not even talking about all the mods for SKYRIM.

• kristi_johnny

That’s why i like SKYRIM: freedom of movement, you can do quests in the order you want, it’s not a linear game.

• travbrad

[quote<]To start with BF3 cannot be the best PC game of the year since it doesn't have a single-player campaign worth playing[/quote<] To start with Skyrim cannot be the best PC game of the year since it doesn't have a multi-player mode worth playing. 😉 Not every game has to have good single-player AND multi-player. I knew BF3's single-player would probably suck, and I knew Skyrim's MP was nonexistent, but they are both great games still. Not everyone demands SP in every game like you. BF1942 and L4D2 are some of the best games of the last decade IMO, and neither have single-player at all (just bots).

• Stargazer

I feel compelled to agree with you.

Some people like only SP, some like only MP, and some like both. A game can be “good” regardless of which combination of these it supports. (a game without one of them won’t be “best” *for everyone*, but no game will)

• Draphius

BF3 is nothing like its predecessor which was BF2 not any of those crap games(bfbc1-2) that Dice themselves said were never meant as a sequel to BF2, they were supposed to be there own thing to compete with Cod. BF3 pissed me off more then any game ive played since SW galaxies. Skyrim imo was much better then any other game and over time it will transform into something else entirely witht he modding community, something u wont have with BF3 another big f u goes out to dice and EA for this.

• LiquidSpace

I totally agree with gorillagarrett; skyrim or as I call it gayrim has the same clumsy fighting and jumping mechanics as was in oblivion, characters in the game don’t have any personalities just dead retards, the whole dragon born crap is stupid the world is uninteresting and kinda ugly thanks to the outdated graphics, voice acting is crap and over all the game is extremely boring and stupid, not to mention the console friendly UI.
        I spent almost 3 months playing oblivion and at the end got bored the crap outta me.
        But to see those who call themselves PC gamers hailing loudly for this new oblivion 1.5 is so sad, but hey 95% of the world population is junk so it’s kinda expected nothing new here.

• StuG

Wow, you are not pleasant to converse with are you? Jeeze. ‘>.>

Either way, if you were able to play oblivion for 3 months than you have to understand how that type of game is fun to some extent. Anyway, I think what you did is called burning yourself out. You should have played oblivion in spurts rather than one long haul. Honestly 3 months is a LONG time to be playing oblivion. I feel like maybe you were trying to clear the whole world? Not really the point, just play how you want. 😛

Either way, your easily able to have your own opinion but maybe you should consider….being more neutral? Watch your blood pressure….

• Kollaps

You played a game for 3 months THEN declared it wasn’t fun? How do you convince yourself of that exactly?

• Antias

You don’t like Skyrim (fine – your choice)
          But to call it Gayrim implies its something you very much don’t like, therefore you don’t like Gay people, therefore your homophobic…
          Strange – i thought we’d left the dark ages….

• d34thly

OMG, I must be gay! That totally explains so much, but my wife is going to be mad (i better hurry and hide my Skyrim before she figures me out).

• JohnC

So much redundant words… All you could’ve said is that “Skyrim is gay” and “people who like it are fags”. All your “filler” words or desperate attempts at rephrasing these statements don’t really add anything and don’t make you a “better troll” or anything like this.

• Jahooba

Haha, who plays a game they don’t like for 3 months?

• SPOOFE

Losers.

• spigzone

Repressed closet gay losers.

• indeego

Is a repressed closet a walk-in or foyer?

• d34thly

SHHH! Don’t tell my wife I’m gay.

• LiquidSpace

it was the first open world RPG I had played back in the day, I was young and horny and I’d done many things am not proud of, that doesn’t mean i’ll play the same crap many times.

• Kamisaki

“skyrim or as I call it gayrim has the same clumsy fighting and jumping mechanics as was in oblivion,”

and

“[Oblivion] was the first open world RPG I had played back in the day, I was young and horny and I’d done many things am not proud of.”

So, Oblivion and Skyrim are gay, and you list being horny as one of your reasons for playing Oblivion, so you’re saying you got homosexually aroused by Oblivion. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 🙂

• d34thly

I rarely even play a game I love for 3 months.

• Meadows

Haha, you put “gay” in something’s name, so funny.

• d34thly

IKR 🙂 this guy is just going to troll with shiznit like : Modern Gayfare 3, Battlegay 3, GaysRow 3, Asses Creed RevelGaytions, Gay 2 unleashed, Gayortal 2, Gayge, Gayus Ex Homo Revelation, Gaysis 2, the Gayer 2, Gaycraft, L.A. Gayoir, Homostorm, Gayman Asscrack City, Gay Island, Gayrim, World of Gaycraft ( i think you get the picture). Adding Gay to a games name doesn’t back-up LiquidSpaces dislike of the game or deter anyone else from buying it. It just makes the person typing it (in this case me) sound like an utter moron. edit: Actually, seeing it all printed out kinda makes me want to buy it more; I mean who wouldn’t buy a game called Gayus Ex: Homo Revelation? I’d totally per-order it! 🙂

• oldog

“95% of the world population is junk”

I think that OWS clearly states that that number is 99%.

• d34thly

I didn’t like BF3 until I started playing it the Skyrim way: do everything and anything except the main objective. Now BF3 is loads of fun as long as I don’t play it the core way it’s devs intended it to be played.

• Aveon

Looks like a fanbase of COD MW has started posting comments.

@Aveon
        I’m confused, are you saying Arclight is a CoD MW fanboy because he didn’t choose CoD MW and infact chose an RPG???

• Aveon

The comment was pointed at other people not him.

• d34thly

Sorry, didn’t realize it was just a thread fail. I plus oned u now

• Arclight

I really am NOT a COD fan, i despise what they have done to utterly milk that franchise. I remember playing lots of CoD 2 and having mad love for it, i liked Cod MW a lot also but afterwards they just milked the franchise…World at War, MW 2, MW Black Ops, MW 3 ughhh, please don’t call me a MW fan boy, it’s insulting……

• Aveon

I was pointing my comments at the guys who were against .

The fact is most of the Consoles games and some new PC games are Like this

[url<]http://www.abload.de/img/fps-design07rbr3jr.gif[/url<]

• GasBandit

I’d say Skyrim for best single player, Saints Row: the Third for best multiplayer. B3/MW3 were bad jokes.

• lilbuddhaman

Skyrim is the only game that I was able to say “Well this is the same old same old, but damnit I like it”. Deus Ex I couldn’t help but feel limited in, BF3 had it’s battlelog nonsense (among other annoyances), Witcher 2 was great but up and down in quality (and ended so short!)…and why MW3 is even on the list baffles me.

• rhysl

B3 , no contest surely ?!!

• maroon1

I don’t see Saint Rows 3 in the in list. It is better than most of the games in that poll

• Stargazer

No Minesweeper option?

• yogibbear

Hearts go out to those unlucky to be missed from this poll and fall into the other bracket, lest we forget:
    -Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (PC port edition)
    -Dead Space 2 (PC port edition)
    -Alice: Madness Returns (PC port edition)
    -Minecraft (Supposably left beta edition)
    -LA Noire (PC port edition)
    -Trine 2
    -The Binding of Isaac
    -Bastion
    -Saints Row 3
    -Serious Sam 3
    -TrackMania 2

• alphacheez

I like Minecraft. I’m a sucker for such an open sandbox style of play and enjoy creating things. The survival mode is a bit annoying since I keep getting pwned by skeletons when I’m away from my “fortress”.

• d34thly

Minecraft isn’t an open sandbox, it is a toolbox u can use to build sand and then build the box to keep the sand in.

• Compton

I really enjoyed LA Noire after picking it up during Steam’s Autumn Sale. Not GOTY, but worthy of a mention certainly.

• d34thly

The poll is for PC games, not for movies.

• entropy13

Yeah, Alice is obviously a port because it’s very hard to play with a keyboard. LOL

At least they got PhysX added. lol

• d34thly

Agreed, I even drive in GTA and SaintsRow with a keyboard, but Alice was just fubar on the controls.

• w4rrior

My vote is biased I only played BF3 from this list. (although I tried crysis for 10 mins I wasn’t enticed to continue).

• I.S.T.

I voted other. It’s a tie between SS3: BFE and Cthulhu Saves The World for me.

• Jambe

Good games, both of them.

• Geistbar

Cthulhu Saves the World is a great game, with a sense of humor too! It’s nice to play a game that doesn’t take itself too seriously.

• wingless

The Witcher 2 is a superior experience! It has game play AND a great story.

• lycium

fully agree, it’s great fun and a good improvement to the first. much respekt for cd projekt red!

For me it’s between Portal 2 and Batman AC, both of which I played on PS3. Portal 2 gave me the PC version for free tho, so I went with it. Fun game and I did actually play it on PC a little.

• jstern

I like Sonic Generations.

• lycium

hmm, i grew up playing sonic… maybe i should get it (and a controller)

• jstern

It’s pretty good, specially is you’re a sonic fan, but because of my laptop I have to play it in the absolute lowest settings. I also use a PS3 controller, that’s emulating an Xbox 360 one, so I don’t have to set the controllers. The only thing is that as an adult I wish games now were more like old games in that the player went to the next stage as soon as you passed the previous one, I hate all these stories, and having to walk around to pick a stage. I guess if they did that people will complain that the game is shorter since people heavily complain about that now a days.

• odizzido

Wow….the witcher2 is the only game I have played out of all of the ones listed. DRM has killed pretty much all my interest in new PC games. Good job publishers.

• BoBzeBuilder

Skyrim was the best until it took an arrow to the knee.

• jensend

Time to deploy UAVs to bomb the heck out of anybody who repeats this stupid meme again.

“I used to be a troll but then I took a AGM-114 Hellfire to the #`%${%&`+’${`%&NO CARRIER”

• GasBandit

U used to be MAD BRO, but then you took an arrow to the knee.

• Jahooba

It’s the new “I saw a mudcrab the other day.”

It is kinda funny, though, taking an arrow to the knee. He was a week from retirement, too, I suppose 🙂

• evilpaul

Wind Waker! It may have come out years ago, but it’s the first Zelda I’ve played since Ocarina of Time (which sucks) and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

ya so many Nintendo games are available on the PC. Dork.

• evilpaul

Suck less.

• d34thly

Wow evilpaul, so people on a “PC” forum and sticking to the article thread “What’s the best PC game of 2011?” are suck. Maybe when my wife asks me what I want to do tonight I’ll answer by telling her what I had for breakfast yesterday because, yk, i’ll suck less according to evilpaul.

• BestJinjo

Ocarina of Time sucks? hahha go and troll on Gamespot. OoT is easily in the top 3 best Zelda games ever made. Troll.

That’s like being the slimmest fat kid – Zelda is seriously overrated.

• TurtlePerson2

Indeed. Zelda games were good for their time, but the series hasn’t evolved at all since 1998. There’s not even any voice acting still after more than a decade.

Of course, the lack of advancement in Zelda mirrors the rest of Nintendo. Nintendo makes toys while other developers are making interactive entertainment. You’ll never hear Nintendo claim that their games are anything but toys.

I actually read an interview with Miyamoto, where he said that he didn’t allow his children to play video games because he thought they were bad for them.

• Kollaps

Good for their time? What time is that? The series didn’t peak into literally a decade into its existence. It’s clear you don’t care for the series and it seems to have something to do with your ego. Can’t be caught playing with toys, it’s “interactive entertainment.”

I measure games by the amount of enjoyment and fun I have with them. Zelda is still very far up that list, a long with the rest of Nintendos long time toys. The new Mario games are still tons of fun, doesn’t matter if they’ve added more “layers” or not.

These comments are making me depressed. I looked at that list and thought “man there’s been tons of great games this year!” I read the comments and thought “man why do people even play video games?”

• Prion

> There’s not even any voice acting still after more than a decade.

Good.

• BobbinThreadbare

Since when does a game need voice acting to be good?

• Geistbar

While in the end, no one here can make you like a game, it’s quite silly to denounce Zelda as “just a toy” when your only explicitly defined criticism betrays an ignorance of what Zelda is. Miyamoto and the rest of the development team for Zelda realized that some things are best left to the imagination.

The lack of dialogue on Link’s behalf, or voice acting in general, is an important part of defining your character. The overall intent of Link’s unspoken words are never in doubt- they’ve done a wonderful job portraying emotions through body language in the 3d Zeldas, especially with Wind Waker and its successors. You know what the intent is, but the specific words are filled in by your own imagination- it means that Link, [i<]your[/i<] character, never jars you out of your submersion by saying something that is not what [i<]you[/i<] would say; he never calls Zelda his beloved for those that hate her, never speaks of her dismissively for those that like her, is never rude when you'd be understanding, is never understanding when you'd be rude... Dialogue doesn't doom a game to suffering from that, but unless you're willing to write a Planescape: Torment quality script, it's bound to happen at some point, and if it isn't, then your dialogue is going to be inconsequential anyway. The lack of voice acting allows the characters who do speak to have their exact meaning, intent, and emotions up to you: depending on how it's said "Oh great" can mean two completely opposite things. Of course, minimal dialogue isn't what defines Zelda; instead, it's a great example of its desire and ability to work with our imagination. Miyamoto has said that the original games were conceived from the caves and forest that he explored as a child- and you can tell. The games are at their core, a realization of the imagined epics and heroic tales that many of us have in youth. Perhaps we were only been running around with a plastic sword, and our villain might have been that shorter-than-the-rest-of-them tree behind the swing set, but it was fun because of our imagination. Zelda is that, given a more defined form and turned into a video game. They aren't perfect, and they aren't for everyone, but for many, the Zelda games will do a wonderful job enrapturing the imagination, with just enough seeds to get it going, while tugging at a common (or at least common amongst the west and western influenced peoples) story with a variation on the basic hero cycle. Perhaps it's just a toy, but toys are fun, and I'll gladly take my fun "toy" over someone else's serious military shooter any day of the week.

• paulWTAMU

I plus oned that…never thought zelda was all that great.

• evilpaul

It’s easily in the top 3 most overrated games of all time. Moron.

• LiquidSpace

BF3 and Witcher 2

• Sanctusx2

Oh, PC game. 🙁

• Squeazle

Well since the post is best game of 2011, not best new game of 2011…

Starcraft 2.

It’s certainly gotten the most play time from me.

• dashbarron

Ditto.

• Game_boy

The best PC game of 2011 was Nestea vs sCfOu in the GSL Semifinals for $20,000.

Those Thors were a godly choice, Tasteless. A godly choice.

I just can’t bring myself to pay for access to the GSL since they play when I’m asleep. I love watching European and NA tournaments, though.

• Game_boy

I look at it like it’s cheaper than buying football or basketball for a year, and it provides me the same amount of entertainment.

• yogibbear

The Witcher 2. ’nuff said.