Asus readying convertible Windows 8 ultrabook?

One of the first companies to hop on the ultrabook bandwagon, Asus is now getting ready to sprinkle some tablet PC onto its ultrabooks. Quoting "industry sources," DigiTimes reports that Asus will unveil a Windows 8-based convertible ultrabook tablet at the Computex trade show in Taipei, Taiwan next June.

Word is that the machine will have a "swivel screen" and will become available together with Windows 8 in September. (I don’t believe Microsoft has committed to a September launch, but you know how those rumors go.) DigiTimes hints that Intel is backing the idea, too, and has been showing a similar design concept to "downstream partners."

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Asus system mirrored today’s tablet PCs, featuring regular notebook guts, a full keyboard and touchpad, and a premium price compared to non-convertible ultrabooks. With Windows 8 emphasizing touch input and providing a compelling touch-based interface, however, perhaps convertible ultrabooks will turn out to be less of a niche category than convertible tablet PCs have been.

• ColeLT1

“Loads of laughter”

• kamikaziechameleon

This sounds like a good combo now that touch interfaces might not be a total waste on windows. I hope that we see the android markets or metro markets on these devices.

What I want is a mobile computer capable of light gaming and media consumption that can also do some light photo editing so I can take it with me and work on pictures as I take them and view them as I take them rather than take a crap tone get home and be completely overwhelmed. Currently I’m inbetween getting a transformer prime and macbook pro to accomplish this task but no matter how much I love the build of a mac book the flipping OS is the anti christ to me and I won’t use it and they don’t properly support their hardware via drivers for windows.

Can we please get another computer with a decent touch pad.

• odizzido

Convertible laptops are my favourite. While I have no interest in current ultrabooks I really hope this one does well so I will have more options in the future.

• Trellot

Laughing Out Loud! 🙂

• jdaven

“Word is that the machine will have a “swivel screen”…”

I just threw up a little in my mouth when I read that.

• tviceman

I truly, TRULY hope there will be decent ARM convertible win8 notebooks along side Intel’s ultrabooks. Even though ARM will be at a disadvantage in performance, I’m betting on a big enough price difference that Intel’s ridiculous 60% gross margins will take a hit, and competition will bring them back to reality. Hopefully Tegra 4 will bring comparable, or better, performance along side similarly priced Intel CPU’s.

• zoom314

Micro$haft can keep Windows 8, It might be ok for iPads and such, but for PCs, I’ll pass and I’m not the only one who thinks this way, I like Windows 7 Pro x64 just fine.

• OneArmedScissor

*Cue over 9,000 people blowing the entire concept off as a toy, even though businesses already use bulkier laptops just like this*

Oh, and here come the standardized IPS screens. Go ahead and complain about that. :p

Share this post with your friends!