Borderlands sequel promises more diversity

Although I had a lot of fun with the original Borderlands, the endless grinding eventually turned me off the game. Collecting loot and leveling up are a big part of the Borderlands experience, but there just wasn’t enough variety to hold my attention. I grew tired of picking up the countless items and weapons dropped by enemies only to learn that they were only slightly different than what I’d gathered previously. Fortunately, it looks like there will be a lot more variety on tap in the sequel, as Borderlands 2 Concept Designer Scott Kester explains in this video.

Kester acknowledges that some of the loot from the first game was too similar, and diversity is apparently one of the buzzwords being attached to the sequel. Borderlands 2 will purportedly serve up more variety on all fronts, including the game’s classes, enemies, environments, weapons, and loot. Keester is also quick to point out that Gearbox isn’t messing with the formula that made the original so successful. It’s hard to take the guy too seriously when there’s a pair of possibly Duke Nukem-themed briefs hanging off the shelf just over his shoulder, though.

Borderlands 2 isn’t expected until later next year, so there’s plenty of time for Gearbox to spice up Pandora and its inhabitants before the final release. Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the tip.

• w4rrior

One of the few games that got me addicted enough to actually complete it and even replay it. I can’t wait for BL2 (and BL3). There are good and valid areas that they should improve but overall it was awesome.

• cynan

This isn’t really all that relevant.. But I can vouch that Borderlands 2 won’t be out forthe better part of a year.

Last Wednesday, I was at a bar and overheard a couple of girls next to our group – one of which was saying how she was leaving shortly for LA for a casting call for one of the Borderlands 2 characters (one of the Sirens). Apparenlty they use digital motion capture for movement and facial expression…

• w4rrior

I think they announced 4.2012 or somewhere around it.

• Turiel

You know… you know? you know… you know! you know… you know~ you know?! you know… you know- you know… you know@ you know… you know# you know$ you know% you know^ you know& you know* you know.. you know{ you know} you know[ you know( you know… you know)}]

YOU KNOW?!?!?!?

• adisor19

Glad i’m not the only one that was annoyed by that !

Thumbs up to you, good sir.

Adi

• Bensam123

“Diversity”

I will believe it when I see it. Developers love to throw around topics they know they have issues with telling everyone how much the new version will be different from the old and then proceed to do so little to change it that it barely differs from their original.

• d0g_p00p

I loved Borderlands, so hell yeah bring on the sequel. I thought the weapon system was great even more so when you got epic weapons like the Hellfire, Fearsome Bessie or Pestilent Defiler.

• cynan

I remember some of the weapons seeming a bit unbalanced, though most were OK. In particular, I recall I got a certain sniper riffle (Liquid Orion?) that made the last mission (approaching the vault) very easy. The alien guardians only one or two shots with the thing, and you could pick them off way in advance for the most part.

• ShadowTiger

I think making each gun manufacturer have unique properties is a great idea.

Also, as usual, my favorite part of Borderlands was modding the guns with combinations that normally aren’t allowed (like a sniper rifle that shoots 14 bullets per shot), so hopefully that wont be more limited this time around.

• PrincipalSkinner

They need to stop making shotguns that fire shots, electricity and fireballs combined.
    Not even Archmage level 20 can to that.

• gmskking

I been playing this game recently, good game. I will definitely pick up the sequel when it comes out.

• yogibbear

You know……………….

• JohnC

Borderlands was an awesome game even with its extremely simplistic, repetitive gameplay and stylized graphics. This was the only game where I felt the co-op was actually fun. The ONLY thing I felt that was “missing” from the game was the ability to have a proper NPC companion (for all the times when your co-op buddies are not available). Can’t wait for the sequel!

• njsutorius

i also doubted i would even play the game, but found my self pleasantly surprised. I also played the expansion and went through the level cap twice.

• Walkintarget

Guns … the sequel needs more guns. 😉

I’m just finishing up the first Borderlands as a Soldier and found it was more fun than I initially expected it to be. When it came out I ragged on the cartoony graphics and the cheesy looking pixelated appearance of everything, but it has grown on me and I will be sad to finish it … DLC to the rescue !!

• yogibbear

So you judge books by covers and then complain that they don’t have enough guns… when the game had TOO many… i.e. random multipliers pulled from a database to reach their 9 bajillion gun claim = not that many “different” guns.

I went the girl with that awesome haze slowdown and blast radius attack thing (can’t remember played it a lot with mates in co-op when it first came out) and that was pretty awesome. But the abilities ended up being better than guns. Even though I was spec’d for SMGs it really didn’t matter what you used.

My problem with the game was that after you finished it (or maybe even before for some) you realised there wasn’t much point in the game. i.e. there wasn’t much of a compelling reason to carry on into ng+. Nor was the game anything special beyond it’s core game mechanics, which sure are fun, but the entire game was basically filler to showcase abilities and guns.

• Walkintarget

Sarcasm, dude, hence the smiley on the end. 😛

Yes, I judge a game based on its graphics, but I also found that I am not an eye candy fanatic like I assumed I was. I can be entertained still by Asteroids, so every so often I need to bypass the obvious first impression and do a more in depth analysis of a possible game purchase.

• lilbuddhaman

The original art design looked FAR better, imo. Gritty, dark, realistic.

• LoneWolf15

DO WANT!!!

I loved the first Borderlands, though I admit that some of Geoff’s comments were true for me as well. Grinding eventually got a bit old, around 2/3 of the way through the game, and weapon diversity was lacking; further, you could find that a cheaper weapon could come out better than an expensive one in some classes, and pricing structure in latter areas of the game affected this even more.

Still, if they offer Borderlands 2 for a reasonable price, you can sign me up. Meanwhile, I’ll be here waiting, cleaning my sniper rifle and revolver.

• south side sammy

anybody keep fast forwarding in hopes we could actually see something and NOT have to listen to that diatribe talk………. OMG dude STFU already………… get laid for Christs sake.

• flip-mode

I loved Borderlands. I sunk more hours into that game than most. Steam showed 71 hours or something, which is very small potatoe, I think, for many here, but for me that’s up near the top.

• dmjifn

Dan? ‘zat you?

• yogibbear

Please make networking easy to setup and provide ingame VOIP rather than forcing everyone to use three different systems for hosting/voice and chat.

• kamikaziechameleon

borderlands 1 was so, disjointed and repetitive it drove me nuts.

• gmskking

Yea, you have to take a break from it for a while then go back.

• Bensam123

I agree… after the first time through I couldn’t touch it again, even for the DLCs.

• indeego

Just provide an easy way to compare new loot with inventoried loot at a glance, without having to equip the item or pull up another screen to do so.

Inventory management is critical in games like this. I dare say if a game has an inventory system they need to focus on it as a primary feature. Blizzard tends to get these things right.

• Noigel

Less consolitis with this inventory management system too please, a lot of Borderlands inventory frustration was born out of that.

• yogibbear

Yeah I loved how guns with maybe 5 or 6 abilities had the text fall off the viewable screen area so it was impossible to know how awesome they were except that one gun was worth more than the other. 🙁

• JustAnEngineer

…Except that a more expensive gun didn’t always work best for my character or my playing style.