Alan Wake dribbles onto Steam in 2012

Some 20 months after releasing Alan Wake on the Xbox 360, developer Remedy Entertainment has confirmed the game is heading to the PC. While a specific launch date hasn’t been provided, PC users will apparently be able to immerse themselves in the narrative-driven thriller some time in the first quarter of next year. The game will be sold on Steam and come with The Signal and The Writer DLC.

Remedy’s press release doesn’t address why it took so long for Alan Wake to be ported over to the PC, but it does promise "high-resolution polish." Improving upon the game’s 720p console resolution wouldn’t take much. I’m a little surprised no mention is made of DirectX 11 effects, higher-resolution textures, or other bits of eye candy one might associate with a PC port arriving this long after the original’s release. Beyond its additional pixels, the lone screenshot provided by Remedy reveals no apparent visual upgrades over the console version.

Alan Wake received plenty of critical acclaim when it came out, scoring 83% on MetaCritic with a 79% user rating. The game’s DLC add-ons aren’t rated quite as highly, but they do add a few hours of gameplay. I spent a couple of hours trying to get into Alan Wake on the Xbox more than a year ago, and the game didn’t really resonate with me. However, it definitely has unique flavor and an original plot, which can’t be said for most console games that get ported over to the PC.

• yogibbear

Considering the polish of Max Payne 1 and 2 on the PC, I think the polish that will go into the PC release will be more than worth it. I’m really hoping they use uncompressed or at least go back and reduce the compression on the cutscenes as the .bink files used on the 360 release had dodgy lip-syncing issues due to the heavy amount of compression required to make the game run on a console without a dedicated harddrive.

• HisDivineOrder

Now if Microsoft would get to work porting the rest of the Halo and Gears of War series to PC, which shouldn’t be hard for the latter Gears of War games since Epic should know how to make a PC title… one would hope?

I know it’s been years since they released a PC game without it being a horrible port, but surely they can do it if they really try…

• kamikaziechameleon

I’m excited to get another horror game on pc, THANK YOU!

• yogibbear

It’s really a thriller. Not a horror. Though the game is amazing. (Only 360 game I own and I don’t own a 360, just borrowed one to play through it). Totally amazing experience. Will be purchasing the PC game as soon as it’s available on steam.

Think “In the Mounth of Madness” the movie.

• odizzido

Even if this game were DRM free I couldn’t see myself paying more than $20. This game came out ages ago and the devs think they can rerelease it at full price just because some people don’t own xboxs? I am sure a few units will sell but it’s going to need to drop to $5 before I will touch it.

• oldog

I wonder what the PC sales will be like after a successful launch many months earlier on another platform. Its seems to me that “LA Noire” died very quickly on the PC when it was released in a similar fashion.

I’m predicting that “Wake” will flop on the PC and that porting “old” console games to the PC will die; just not financially feasible.

To call the Alan Wake 360 launch “successful” is either extremely generous or gratuitously ignorant of what actually happened. It sold less than 100k in May of 2010 and dropped off the NPD top-10 in June. While full lifetime sales aren’t known, it surely sold way under a million units, which is my personal requirement for a AAA hyped-up $60 title to be successful.

To call the LA Noir launch “many months” after the console launch is also way off the mark. May to November is 6 months. This is closer to 2 years by the time it’s all said and done – all versions of LA Noir were released in the span between 360 and PC releases for Alan Wake..

edit: fixed the date in the first paragraph.

• oldog

And your point is…?

My point is LA Noire and Alan Wake are nothing alike in terms of launch. You said a bunch of stuff and I refuted it with facts. They’re not comparable at all.

• oldog

I guess my point is that both of these games are late ports to PC.

I believe that both games are not likely to do well in the market. It seems to me that newer games which are simultaneously released on all three major platforms have greater buzz and will result in these games not being deemed very desirable.

Why pay $50.00 for an “old game” just to play it on the PC? Why not wait for a Steam super discount and buy them for $5.00?

I don’t see the cost-benefit of this working in favor of developers or publishers. If this is the case then it is likely to stop.

I don’t think LA Noir is anything approaching a late port. And indeed, why not wait, if you don’t want to play it? It’s not like you HAVE to pay it.

• yogibbear

Alan Wake sold 1.5 million. However the bulk of those were digital downloads off the xbox store from bundling the game with consoles. ~500k were retail units. I think.

The OP in the forum thread says:

[quote<]The PC version of the game will also include The Signal and The Writer downloadable content.[/quote<] The [url=http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/14/alan-wake-pc-preview/<]interview with RPS[/url<] says [quote<]RPS: Was there any DLC on Xbox? Aki Järvilehto: Yes, there were two DLCs, The Writer and The Signal. Both releases of DLC will be shipping at release. RPS: They won’t be included in the PC version for free? Aki Järvilehto: We have to see. We haven’t decided about that.[/quote<] So there's a little muddiness in RMD's message.

• Geistbar

That interview is such a classic example of non-answers. I hate how uninformative interviews are these days- the interviewee is generally terrified of angering the marketing department, and the interviewer can’t call them out for their answers because all that’ll do is cause them to not get any interviews in the future.

• cegras

What are the chances that the lowest mouse sensitivity setting isn’t equivalent to 5000 dpi?

How about proper FOV?

• CasbahBoy

I wouldn’t get your hopes up over an adjustable (or logical and different for each available aspect ratio) FOV.

Not because I have any solid information, but rather because I’m a pessimist.

You really need to be a Stephen King fan to get the essence of Alan Wake. In fact, his name is the first thing spoken in the introduction. I’m a King fan and I loved Alan Wake, though, so maybe I’m biased.

• indeego

What if you are a Stephen King Hipster fan and haven’t liked anything of his since about 1990?

So you’re talking about someone who read the Castle Rock books and presumably liked them. They should dig it.

edit: they should dig it more than the crowd that formed around the release of the later King movies like the Green Mile, if only because they’re going to be intimately familiar with most of the references. The town itself is very Castle Rock-like.

• paulWTAMU

That makes me want the game more than the marketing ever did.

• LoneWolf15

Ditto. “It” is still one of my favorites, among many others. Though of course, that’s Derry, Maine rather than the Castle Rock books (enjoyed “The Dark Half” quite a bit as well).

Good! Glad to run into King fans and glad to help sell this game because it’s one of my favorites. The Dark Half is easily my favorite of all the Castle Rock books. Dead Zone and Cujo are great, too. And Needful Things is great as a book, not so much as a movie.

• Disco

I just finished reading the last book of the gunslinger series. I quite liked the story, especially the earlier novels. It’s pretty strange how [spoiler<] he works events of his own life into the later narrative. Not sure if that was genius, or a runaway ego. [/spoiler<]