Release roundup: Fresh memory and gaming peripherals

Yeah, so, at this point, I think most hardware firms are saving their big launches for CES. That’s become apparent in the dearth of new product announcements these past few weeks, and it’s especially obvious this week. Our inbox has only collected press releases from Corsair and G.Skill:

• Corsair announces retail availability of new keyboards and gaming mice. Remember those keyboards we talked about back in September? Corsair says they’re now available at $109 for the K60 and $129 for the K90. Both models feature MX key switches and avant-garde designs where the keycaps appear to hover over the keyboard base. Corsair is also offering a pair of matching gaming mice, the $69 M60 and $79 M90, which feature 5700-DPI laser sensors and all kinds of gamer-friendly bells and whistles, including adjustable weights and DPI switching buttons. The M60 has 8 programmable buttons, while the M90 has 15.

• G.Skill touts DDR3-2400 RipjawsZ quad-channel kit. Here’s something a little more exciting on the memory front. G.Skill’s new RipjawsZ quad-channel kit features eight "hand-tested, hand-picked" 8GB modules rated for operation at 2400MHz. The firm quotes a CAS latency of 10, and it says the modules have overclocking headroom. Impressive stuff. These are, of course, tuned for Intel’s new Sandy Bridge-E processors, which have quad-channel memory controllers.

…and that’s about it. I’ve gotta say, as a part-time clicky keyboard enthusiast, those Corsair keyboards look mighty tempting. It’s too bad Corsair used linear and non-clicky MX red switches, though. In my experience, the clicky MX blue and tactile MX brown switches are better for typing—an activity that takes up much more of my time than gaming.

• kitsura

Nope, Krogoth still not impressed.

“Mac Memory”

Isn’t that bog-standard JDEC-compliant RAM (as all RAM [i<]should be anyway[/i<]) with a massive price-hike for the idiots that pay without doing simple research? I love the Mac ecosystem. It is full of rich pickings for the amoral.

• albundy

Its sad to believe that so many fall under that mac umbrella…

• Farting Bob

Its like the AMD branded RAM that was announced recently that AMd marketing team said was “tuned for AMD processors”, when in fact it was just like all the other RAM out there. No difference at all.

• TravelMug

[quote<]"hand-tested, hand-picked"...tuned for Intel's new Sandy Bridge-E processors[/quote<] LMAO, is anybody still believes shit like this?

• JohnC

The first review for one of these Corsair’s keyboards on Amazon is hilarious:

“…I used the 6 keys in between the number pad and the letter keys (Insert, Home, Delete, End) while I quickly edited my sentences for this review. I would feel like click-click-click-smoosh! The flow of typing felt very inconsistent. Almost like [b<]the feeling of playing a real piano then suddenly switching off to one of those cheap Casio electrics you give to your 6 year old niece, who's aspiring to be a musician, for Christmas[/b<]"

• rechicero

Another keyboard that doesn’t offer anything new. What about a new Microsoft Office Keyboard? Why there’re so many multimedia, gaming and whatnot keyboards and nothing for, you know, working?

As Microsoft is kind enough to not support this keyboard, the first company capable of making an equivalent design will have my money (I have most functions of this great keyboard piggybacked with AutoHotkey, though… at least as long as there are PS/2 ports on mobos).

• StuG

The fact that the Corsair keyboard is not fully mechanical gives it a negative mark on me.

• JohnC

What’s more ridiculous is that this keyboard being falsely advertised as “mechanical” on various online stores (like Amazon), with no mentioning in “item description” about some keys having silicone domes.

• csxcsx

I’m probably just being lazy, but where does it say not all keys are mechanical?

• JohnC

On Corsair’s own blog:
        [url<]http://www.corsair.com/blog/vengeance-gaming-keyboard-keyswitch-technology/[/url<] Oh and no, you're not being lazy, Corsair just tries to "hide" this information from all the retailers.

• csxcsx

Thanks, yea that is a turn off…the keys hovering could make it easy for cleaning tho…

• Parallax

Call me different, but I’d pay good money for a quality keyboard that made almost no noise at all, say <10dB. Tactile feedback is a must, but the noise from everything from the lowest- to the highest-end keyboards has never done anything but annoy me.

• Bensam123

The Corsair K60 is on my wishlist… only pitfall for that keyboard in my opinion is the lack of a wrist rest. The gaming pad is nice and all, but what if, you know, you want to type?

• Dygear

Type, on a keyboard? That’s crazy talk!