GeForce 290.53 beta drivers add Skyrim tweaks

Catching up with AMD’s endless stream of new graphics drivers isn’t easy, but Nvidia is also maintaining a steady flow of fresh GeForce driver updates. The latest one, labeled 290.53 beta, came out today and includes performance optimizations for Skyrim as well as other, miscellanous enhancements.

Nvidia presents the Skyrim tweaks in a bullet list, so you know they’re serious business:

• Increases performance by up to 25 percent vs. 290.36 drivers on indoor scenes (measured with GeForce GTX 560 at 19×10 Ultra).
  • Updates the NVIDIA Control Panel ambient occlusion support to a higher performance profile.
  • Adds new 3D Vision laser sight /crosshair options to better match Skyrim crosshairs.

Other additions include SLI and 3D Vision profiles for a number of new titles, including Trine 2. You’ll find a complete list in the driver release announcement. Nvidia says owners of GeForce 400- and 500-series GPUs should no longer see "random instances of triangular artifacts" when playing Battlefield 3, as well.

You can grab these beta drivers through the beta and legacy drivers section of Nvidia’s GeForce.com website.

• Forge

I was hoping these would be WHQL. I’m running the 290.36 or whatever the last betas were. No great shakes.

Running 290.10 at the moment. It’s nice to be home again! 😉

• thesmileman

I was hoping my ice cream came with a sticker saying it was ice cream.

• ClickClick5

Went from the 11.8 drivers to the 12.1 preview drivers. Skyrim for me is silky smooth!

Not Nvidia related, but figured I would say something.

“Does it really matter what cards we have? Can you play the game? Can I play the game? Stop this war! 98 fps vs 100 fps wont matter for it is still above the refresh rate of your screen. If a GPU can play what you want, then be happy.” – Dr. Sean

• l33t-g4m3r

Couldn’t use the last beta because it shrunk the screen to 4:3 or something, and screwed up the aspect ratio. Hopefully this version works.

edit: What’s with the rampant downvote abuse? Every post here has a -, and there isn’t any reason for it. This is why we shouldn’t have voting.

edit2:
    I’m not angry at you people, just disappointed. You have no morals, guilt, dignity, or respect. Pitiable human scum not worth hating. But hey, I believe in karma. What goes around comes around. Every downvote you click rots your humanity away a bit more until there’s nothing left. So enjoy your brief rush of amusement until it fades into a dull nothing, and then you become krogoth.

• Meadows

You’re just sore because you got it too.

• Yeats

Well, mine was a stupidly juvenile comment, so I [i<]earned[/i<] my downvotes. I don't know why you and the others are so low, though.

• dogsofdiogenes

I had the same problem. Resetting the resolution via the Nvidia Control Panel, instead of the Windows Display Properties menu, fixed it.

• l33t-g4m3r

Tx. I wish somebody mentioned that before I went back to the whql’s. Still, these older drivers work fairly well, making the speed improvements the only incentive to upgrade.

• Yeats