Leaked pictures tease Ivy Bridge motherboard

Heard of motherboard maker Wibtek? Yeah, me neither. The Chinese firm has popped up on our radar because pictures of one of its Ivy Bridge motherboards have leaked online. This is the best look we’ve had at a motherboard designed for Intel’s next-gen CPUs.

The Hacker Z77 is purportedly based on Intel’s upcoming Z77 chipset, which should stand atop the 7-series lineup being prepared for Ivy Bridge. Pictures of the board published by EXPreview reveal 10 Serial ATA ports (six of which offer 6Gbps connectivity) and eight USB 3.0 ports. The latest rumors point to the Z77 offering six SATA ports (two of which can hack 6Gbps speeds) in addition to four SuperSpeed USB ports, so the other ports are probably being fed by third-party controller silicon. At least that gives mobo makers plenty of opportunity to differentiate their designs.

Speaking of designs, the Hacker features a heatsink cluster patterned after a Desert Eagle handgun. While the theme clearly draws inspiration from Gigabyte’s G1 line, the heavily stylized heatsinks don’t look that obnoxious. The rest of the board looks like pretty standard fare with one exception: in addition to the usual mix of full-sized PCI and PCI Express slots, there’s a Mini PCIe slot designed for a wireless module. It’s high time Wi-Fi and Bluetooth were integrated into more motherboards, and the diminutive slot should make it easy to add a notebook-style wireless card without compromising the board’s expansion capacity.

While it’s unlikely the Hacker Z77 will wash up Stateside, it’s interesting to see what a lesser-known motherboard maker is cooking up for Ivy Bridge. I suspect next week’s Consumer Electronics Show will give us plenty of opportunities to steal glimpses at Ivy Bridge mobos from some of the bigger players in the industry.

• tootercomputer

Hmm, lots of negative comments. Bottom line I suppose will be how well it tests out, and if the price is right. Never heard of this company. They sure know how to make an entry with a mobo that will get noticed!

If it specs out well, I suppose there are a lot of modders out there who would love this in a case with a clear panel.

• d0g_p00p

That Hacker zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz motherboard does not look at that bad. The G1 is pretty hideous and I thought this would follow that trend based on the description. I have to admit I am curious on the Wibtek brand. The mobo looks pretty solid, anymore info on this?

• aceuk

More importantly, why does a motherboard released in 2012 [i<]still[/i<] have PCI slots?

• d0g_p00p

sound cards, tv tuners and obscure PCI cards like radio cards and serial and game port cards.

• JustAnEngineer

Sound cards and TV tuners went to PCIe 5+ years ago.

Stupid, costly, near-useless heatsinks.
    “I told you so” for when these things overclock poorly, or overheat when overclocked.

Perhaps it’s just me, but I find these gimmick heatsinks doubly ugly: Once for looking like a child’s toy, and twice for being included [i<][b<]instead of[/b<][/i<] a beautifully-engineered array of fins. Naked engineering is always sexier than cheap-looking gimmicky junk. Secondly, if you don't buy big-brand these days you're missing out on UEFI goodness and a proven track record of regular BIOS updates and the latest CPU support.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Stupid, costly, near-useless heatsinks. "I told you so" for when these things overclock poorly, or overheat when overclocked.[/quote<] Yeah, because cooling the VRMs and the I/O hub is [i<]sooooo[/i<] important for CPU overclocking...

• yogibbear

Yep I was wondering the exact same thing. Stick whatever heatsink you love on there and you’ll hit your 5.5 gHz Ivybridge whatever. Seems like there’s enough space to me.

• ludi

Well, actually, cooling the VRMs [i<]is[/i<] kind of important that way.

• yogibbear

*looks at gigabyte offering for different chipset*
          [url<]http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4047#ov[/url<] *looks at this ivybridge one* They look pretty damn similar in heat sink design for the VRMs. I call BS. I reckon this will overclock just fine. Yes the stuff about UEFI and bios updates is probably why I wouldn't buy one unless it was from gigabyte etc. EDIT: okay the one difference I can spot is the copper/aluminium pipe that connects the two heatsinks. You might argue that improves thermal balancing or something.

• ludi

Apparently we read NeelyCam’s post differently. Maintaining good cooling of the VRMs is actually important. However I agree that it does not need to be exotic, a simple heatsink is generally adequate.

• indeego

• stupido

[quote<]Reminds me of Harley Davidsons. Horribly engineered devices with such a strange cult-following. The louder the device, the crappier the engineering.[/quote<] I hope my friend doesn't hear you... otherwise he will "roadkill" you with his harley... [evil laugh] muahahahahahaha...[/evil laugh] 😀

• yogibbear

After reading this article but before clicking the link to the photo I was expecting to come back disgusted at form over function abuse. It actually doesn’t look too bad…… in fact I wouldn’t feel self conscious if my mobo looked like that.

• kroker

Yeah, it’s nowhere near as bad/cheesy as the [url=http://assets.vr-zone.net/14361/P1020902.jpg<]MSI Big Bang XPower II X79[/url<], which is what I was initially expecting

• yogibbear

Yeah that is the exact one I had in mind before I clicked on the link to the photo 🙂

• gamoniac

Yawza! Thanks for the MSI link. I got a good laugh out of it.

• chuckula

My motherboard says Desert Eagle point Five-Oh. Yours says replica.

• ludi

Then why does it look like an Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator repainted in gunmetal?