Transformer Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich to collide on 1/12

No, this isn’t about a little kid’s Saturday morning routine. It’s a deadly serious bit of tech news—and something that ought to please early adopters of Asus’ Eee Pad Transformer Prime. According to a post on the company’s Facebook wall, Asus will roll out Android 4.0 as a free, worldwide, over-the-air update to the Transformer Prime on January 12.

Yes, the tablet still ships with Android 3.2, even though it technically hit stores after Google announced version 4.0 of the dessert-themed operating system. Come Thursday after next, that little oversight will be rectified. Users can expect another over-the-air update (numbered 8.8.3.33) in the meantime. That patch will “improve the focus of the camera, the fluidity of the touch experience, and the APK capabilities in Android Market.”

In related news, Asus’ Facebook post addresses the ire over the Prime’s locked bootloader with an encouraging promise:

Regarding the bootloader, the reason we chose to lock it is due to content providers’ requirement for DRM client devices to be as secure as possible. ASUS supports Google DRM in order to provide users with a high quality video rental experience. Also, based on our experience, users who choose to root their devices risk breaking the system completely. However, we know there is demand in the modding community to have an unlocked bootloader. Therefore, ASUS is developing an unlock tool for that community. Please do note that if you choose to unlock your device, the ASUS warranty will be void, and Google video rental will also be unavailable because the device will be no longer protected by security mechanism.

Now, all that remains is for Asus to help replenish e-tail stocks. Newegg appears to be all out of Transformer Primes right now. Amazon carries the 64GB “champagne” model for $599, but you have to venture into the Amazon Marketplace and pay a hefty premium for the other variants.

• Choklate

Great news guys “ASUS UK” has announced on its Facebook page that the first Transformer tablet will be updated to the latest version of Android. While no exact date has been given at the moment, they expect to get it delivered as soon as possible after the Transformer Prime gets it on January 12th.

U guys can check this [url<]https://www.facebook.com/asus.uk?sk=wall[/url<]

• Choklate

Great.I want to see Transformer prime running ICS…..cause im forward to buy this

• tay

Who writes these stupid headlines?

• dashbarron

What’s with the name anyways?

If it’s nostalgia color me Krogoth. I for one hate the heralded ice-cream sandwich. I think the things are bland, nasty tasting things which are just plain messy. Get me a bar on a stick at the least, cone and icecream of choice preferred.

• ImSpartacus

Every Krogoth reference gets a +1 from me.

In fact, it’s probably the only thing that can still impress me…

• cygnus1

I will Krogoth your face

• DancinJack

They name every iteration of Android after a sweet.

Donut
      Eclair
      Froyo (Frozen Yogurt)
      Gingerbread
      Honeycomb
      IceCreamSandwich

1.5 was Cupcake, too, btw.

• kamikaziechameleon

interesting. The product is fetching a permium and doesn’t ship with the dock that it is named for. hmmm. I expect they should drop the price or start bundling the dock at the price points they currently have.

• glynor

That’s nice and all (and a perfectly reasonable explanation on the locked bootloader), but that should just be a foregone conclusion. What I want to know is when ICS is coming out for the [i<]original[/i<] Transformer. I don't own one, mind you. But before I buy a tablet (probably next year) I want to see a company with a [i<]history[/i<] of supporting their tablets with OS upgrades for at least a few cycles. Otherwise, there's this other company that does treat their devices like a platform over here...

• DancinJack

Good for ASUS. I’ve only used Honeycomb briefly, but I love ICS.

I never used Honeycomb, but I do agree on ICS. Even without functioning audio and HW acceleration on my Kindle

• lilbuddhaman

That should please several of the commentors in the Playbook thread who happen to own transformers. I hear ICS is everything HC was supposed to be…

• cynan

+1 for ICS being a hefty upgrade over prior Androids. Been using it for a couple of days on my new Galaxy Nexus and it’s leaps and bounds over my previous Android phone (Froyo). Smooth like butter too, but that has a lot to do with the hardware specs on the Nexus vs my old el cheapo Motorola.

In fact, I’d be willing to say that I don’t think iOS has anything on Android any longer, though there still are a couple of minor bugs to work out with ICS…

• adisor19

ICS still has a laggy UI just like any other prior version of Android. Nothing is changed on that front due to Google’s initial design of the base Android OS. Too bad though as this UI lag on touch input is the main complaint i hear from friends about their Android smartphones.

Google would have to completely redesign Android in order to eliminate UI lag and that is just not feasible without breaking compatibility with everything prior.

Adi

• bthylafh

It’s true, my Android phone (original Droid running 2.2) can get really laggy at times, especially when there’s some background process hogging the CPU.

This appears to be ignoring the original Transformer, it’s only talking about the Prime. if I owned a currently-shipping HC platform, I’d be clamoring for ICS.