2012 to bring a bounty of new PC games

2011 was a great year for games. Heck, I’m still nowhere near catching up on all the new releases from the last couple of months. It seems I’ll have to work my way through them quickly, because the selection of incoming titles for this year looks rather impressive. Rock, Paper, Shotgun has put together an exhaustive list of PC games expected to be released in 2012, and it’s a doozy.

The list covers everything from big-budget titles like Mass Effect 3 to indie games like Monaco. To be honest, I’d completely forgotten that some of these games were even on the way. Bioshock Infinite, Prey 2, and Dishonored had all slipped my mind during the flurry of holiday releases. Then there’s Diablo III, Torchlight II, and a boatload of new MMOs that includes sequels to Guild Wars and Planetside. If you’d like a better sense of when each game is due, GameSpy has list of its own that can be sorted by the expected release date. Looks like I have more than a month to catch up before the Syndicate sequel demands my attention.

It’s probably a little early for an official poll on the game you’re most anticipating, but the topic is certainly worthy of discussion. Dishonored and Bioshock Infinite look the most intriguing to me largely due to their unique art styles. I’m also intently curious to see whether Tribes Ascend‘s free-to-play model can avoid penalizing players who resist the urge to spend money on upgrades and other in-game items. Which upcoming games are you itching to play this year?

• Kougar

Borderlands 2 definitely.

DOTA 2 looks promising as well…

• h4x0rpenguin

I see only one thing on that list: DOTA 2. *Drool*

• JLW777

syndicate, Me3 and far cry 3 is priority… tbh, last game i actually finish the story is codmw3 cuz it was a half day job… i don’t know but i find it hard to go back to half eaten stuff when new stuff constantly popping (witcher 2, how i want to carry on…)

• l33t-g4m3r

Darksiders2 is the only sequel I’m really looking forward to and well Metro, maybe prey and hawken. Other games, I need to know more about. Not really liking the f2p games/trend. Very unlikely I’ll be spending money or time on them. Have yet to play batman, because steam sold me a non-working key, which won’t activate in GFWL. Lost 50%+ from save game deletion, so waiting for replacement key. Gotta love DRM.

• wobbles-grogan

X-Rebirth.

That is all

• tfp

I’m looking forward to this as well, one of the few space sims left.

• Arclight

All sequels, prequels and what not. No new idea, all rehashed ideas, i guess companies are playing it safe, nobody wants to take any chances. Well, in that case, HL2 Ep 3 or gtfo.

Although if i think about it Heart of the Swarm might be a major thing for many. Also i hope at some point Dice/Ea will announce a BF 2142 sequel.

• TaBoVilla

the only thing that could save 2012 for gaming would be releasing HL3 later down the year

• TaBoVilla

downvotes? really?

• wobbles-grogan

A surefire way of getting more downvotes is to comment on the fact your being downvoted!! 😀

• integer

Euro Truck Simulator 2 ([url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnnUg9ABCWE<]Work in progress[/url<])

• stdRaichu

Pff. Not a patch on [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBr7EhL6Jpg<]Desert Bus[/url<].

• ShadowEyez

Seems like a good pool question; what games are you most looking forward to.

I’ll spill: guildwars2, diablo3, starcraft2:zerg/protoss edition. Of course I have the prequals to these games (except diablo1) but the originals were all very good and the sequals look to expand on that.

If I have more time (and that’s a big if…) I might try planetside2. I like FPS shooters and MMO things, so maybe the combo will work well. Anyone try the first one???

I’ve also thought about battlefield 3, though that is so… 2011!

PS – the new tech report servers seem to be doing well. No crashes, no slowdowns, etc…

• Bensam123

A lot of releases in 2011, especially compared to the darth in the last few years. I am really looking forward to GW2 though and ME3 is a nice touch.

I don’t expect anything good or interesting from any of the other titles mentioned including D3. I played the beta and it’s essentially D2, just like SC2 is essentially SC. Blizzard stopped making innovative and revolutionary games.

• Meadows

You don’t have to innovate all the time. Sometimes all players beg for is simple continuation of what made them good, like with Diablo, Max Payne, or Dragon Age: Origins.

Then, a developer either does what the players would like, or they develop Max Payne 3 and Dragon Age II in order to lose fans instead.

• Bensam123

I don’t believe in the FUD that trying to innovate is worse then not innovating at all. Plenty was changed and improved upon in D2 compared to D1, WC3 compared to WC2, SC compared to WC2… I agree that developers don’t need to innovate for the sake of innovating, but blizzard hasn’t innovated in close to a decade. It’s pretty obvious that they’re either lazy, don’t give a crap anymore, aren’t intelligent enough to actually change things in a better way, and/or they’re scared of changing things because they’ll lose their player base.

For instance in WoW all they do is add successful things from other MMOs, they don’t even attempt to add new or interesting concepts to the game. They’re doing the same thing Activision is doing with MW.

This is completely putting aside the notion that thinking you no longer need to improve because it’s destructive yields a lethargic and equally destructive mindset. “If I try to change this it will be worse off then it was before”, “This game is good enough.”, “I don’t want to alienate all the fans we have.”….

Players generally don’t know what they want and if they do, they wont agree on the same thing. It’s sad that the gaming industry has been so shitty the last few years that players are now so afraid of anything changing in sequels that they’re willing to say what you are.

• Meadows

Take the three examples I gave, I don’t want innovation there, just continuation. I value innovation as much as the next guy and don’t own any “AAA” big name titles anywhere, and have an odd selection on Steam myself, but sometimes, some things are just *that* good that simply continuing them will earn my money. Not $60, mind you, but *enough*.

As it stands, I never bought Dragon Age II and I’m wary of Max Payne 3.

• Bensam123

I don’t mind continuation, rather when continuation replaces innovation, which is the current trend. The ‘safe bet’ is all to common beyond the realm of zero budget indie games.

• h4x0rpenguin

If Blizzard radically changed Starcraft, they’d have to call the riot police to deal with the angry SC community.

I also want a proper WC/SC style sequel to the Warcraft series. I guess Blizzard got tired of balancing and polishing 2 competitive RTS games and decided to funnel all the RTS gamers to one title…

• Bensam123

Yeah, it’s no one elses fault besides Blizzards for trapping themselves in a corner. It’s also their fault for then walling themselves in after they set expectations for it.

• ronch

It amuses me every time game review sites toot their horn on unreleased games, then give them a low score when the product ships. It’s ok for popular titles, but for the less popular ones it looks like the sites just need something to help fill up their web pages.

• Bensam123

I don’t believe there is a correlation there between the game company trying to attract people then saying how awful the game is.

I believe there is something more along the lines of the company making the game is telling everyone how awesome a game is, then hyping it up, only to release a steaming PoS when the time comes. There are plenty of gaming websites that say how awesome those steaming PoS are though, so I don’t think your logic sticks anyway.

• ronch

I’m not so sure you understood what I meant. I was referring to the GAME REVIEW SITES, not the game devs.

• bjm

What’s so amusing about that? You’d rather they give them good scores even though don’t like it? If anything, they should be commended for being criticizing a game they feel sucks rather than be scared to eat crow for a game they thought was going to be good.

• Bensam123

Yup…

• Bensam123

Game developers are the ones responsible for marketing and hype.

• d0g_p00p

The Secret World looks really good. There are too many games to list that I am waiting for. All I know 2012 is going to rule for PC games.

• yogibbear

Top 5 in no particular order:

Thief 4, STALKER 2, Half Life 3, Alan Wake, Metro Last Light.

Is GTA V meant to be next year?

• yogibbear

Alan Wake. PC version [i<]meant[/i<] to come out sometime in Q1 this year.

• ish718

Diablo 3…

• Decelerate

Knowing Blizzard, I can’t fathom the SC2 expansion and Diablo 3 to be released in the same year…

But I’m crossing my fingers nonetheless

• AssBall

I’m not excited to see how badly they will fuck up my beloved XCOM with another ass-ish low budget shooter. But there is always a glimmer of hope, right? It is a very very small glimmer.

• ColeLT1

Anyone else play Tribes: Ascend? Friends and I have been playing the beta for a bit now, my roommate is heavy into it. Back in the day Tribes was our go-to computer game, OGL competitions and all before CS stole my time. I hope they allow for dedicated servers and modding… Ultra Renegades server will be hosted, but right now its looking grim because of the FtP model.

Friends: StackableNut

• spigzone

Elder Scrolls VI – Black Marsh Emergence

• NeelyCam

I guess I gotta get busy with Skyrim…

• faramir

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action … I wonder if it will live up to its name. I hope it doesn’t turn out to be yet another UFO 3 / Master of Orion 3 kind of crap.

• yogibbear

It’s real time combat I thought. Already dead in the water.

• CoWBoY

Wow! That sucks! =/ I just started playing Jagged Alliance 2 again.

• faramir

If you haven’t already, you should download the (free) 1.13 patch, it inproves the game greatly (lots of weapons that were previously only avaliable in mods, more weather effects, more realistic scope view range, AI improvements, many customization options etc.).

• faramir

It’s not real-time, it’s “play-and-go”, which I believe is similar to 7.62 High Calibre. I actually liked the system used in this game after I have gotten used to it, its big plus is that it allows for great cinematic fighting sequences (with all of your mercs engaged in fight at the same time, pausing only when something important happens, such as enemy dead, enemy out of sight, new enemy in sight, merc out of ammo, merc injured, etc., depending on where you set the stop).

• yogibbear

So it’s like Dragon Age – Origins?

• faramir

Sorry, never played Dragon Age – Origins. This is how the system works in 7.62 High Calibre:

First you set where you want the engine to stop (on which types of events). This is a one-time ordeal, just like setting sound and graphics options after you install a new game.

When one of these events occurs and you’re not in real-time mode, game pauses. Now you can queue up actions for your mercs. Once you’re done, you press SPACE and the game continues real-timeish, just like a movie sequence, until a new event occurs that disrupts your queue of merc orders (for example: an enemy your merc was supposed to shoot at until killed, just died).

You can interrupt the progress of the :sequence” part at any time by pressing SPACE and changing your team’s orders (or just to check around …). While “real-timeish” ? Because you can adjust the speed of time progress, making it possible to play the sequences out in “Matrix bullet time”.

Some of the larger fights (such as convoy ambush mission in 7.62 High Calibre) are really awesome because you can see the effects of your gear (weapon laser pointers displaying dots and rays while moving from target to target, bullet casings ejecting from the weapons as your mercs fire, people getting thrown around and collapsing etc.) in what is essentially a scripted movie with random factor (hitting/missing, AI opponent) included.

It seems clumsy at first if you are only used to Action Point concept from UFO and JA but it really becomes great once you get used to it. Now if only 7.62 High Calibre didn’t have such a clumsy 3D engine and lame story and characters … JA2 has the latter two covered so if its engine is decent JA:BiA should be a great game.

• yogibbear

Yeah that sounds like DA:O

• geekl33tgamer

*Crosses Fingers*

S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 Please…

• NeelyCam

Why does any of this matter now that Skyrim is out?

• mongoosesRawesome

Nobody mentioning firefall here? I’m looking forward to a free to play FPS MMO that won’t penalize you for not spending money.

• sweatshopking

looks interesting, we’ll have to see if it’s actually worth playing, however.

• mongoosesRawesome

I played it at PAX East last year and it was a pretty good FPS. Not sure how well they’ll get the MMO aspect, as that wasn’t demoed.

• ALiLPinkMonster

Halo 4… I mean, Call of Duty: Future Warfare. Master Chief removes his helmet to reveal his identity as Captain Price. COD fans cheer while Halo fans vomit.

Having not played the first two but watched them played in their majority, Bioshock Infinite looks like one hell of a game. I still need to play through ME2 before ME3 comes out. FC3 looks interesting. I didn’t like FC2 at all so hopefully they did it right this time.

I wonder if EA/DICE will do another 2142 for BF3. That would be pretty nifty. Just call it 2143.

• cegras

If you have time try out Bioshock. Being UE3 “everything is wet” the graphics should have aged well, not to mention the story should suck you in.

• paulWTAMU

I’d rather have a call of duty: future warfare than COD:MW3. Something with laser guns and lots of pew-pew.

• Firestarter

It’d have to be a pretty awesome laser to be better than a rifle though. How about some Wanted ammo?

• odizzido

Dead state looks very cool.

• Sargent Duck

Hmmm…I wonder when the next part of SCII (I think it’s the zerg) comes out?

• sweatshopking

i think heart of the swarm is scheduled for this year. I won’t buy SC2 until all the parts are out. found vanilla sc2 lame.

• burntham77

It will be tough to squeeze them in between bouts of SWTOR, but I’ll give it a shot.

• flip-mode

Woah, that’s an impressively long list and most of them look good. 2012 looks to be a better year than 2011.

• khands

MechWarrior Online 😀

• Synchromesh

Isn’t GTA V supposed to be coming out? That’s the only game I’m waiting for.

it’s in the RPS article. 😉

• dalisam

Far Cry 3

• sweatshopking

Far cry 3 is looking good. I’ll likely just continue playing heroes of newerth for the majority of my time.

• paulWTAMU

IBT “Marginalized” crowd.

That’s more than I can remotely play. Crap, I ain’t finished all of 2011’s.

• Sargent Duck

Half-Life 3?

No? Ok, I’m going back into my cave.

• Ringofett

Whenever it comes out I’ll have to hit up the wikipedia, remind myself of what exactly I did however many years ago Episode 2 was.

• Meadows

I’m sure it’ll incorporate a sort of “previously, on Half-Life:” montage like they did for the last episode.

• sweatshopking

boring… half life hasn’t been good since 1.

• BobbinThreadbare

I disagree.

• kilkennycat

Half Life 2 Episode 3

…..before Half Life 3.

Oops, I forgot, 95% at least of Valve’s profits come from Steam, and increasing every day, so why bother with either. I’m sure that neither Gabe nor Doug would want to trade in a few of their Ferraris to finance the development of a new game engine. Can’t see Valve wanting to license one….

• odizzido

Could gabe even fit in a ferrari?

• BobbinThreadbare

Why does there have to be a new engine?

• entropy13

There’s a lot of games I want to play this year.

• flip-mode

[quote<]It's probably a little early for an official poll on the game you're most anticipating, but the topic is certainly worthy of discussion.[/quote<] No discussion required: Bioshock. Bioshock 1 and 2 are easily in the top 5 of the best games I've ever played and they're nearer to the top of the top 5 than the bottom.

• RickyTick

QFT…excellent games.

• flip-mode

How in the world to I get -1 for saying that I :heart: Bioshock?

• ImSpartacus

TR is full of communists?

• flip-mode

LOL. +1

• BobbinThreadbare

Wasn’t Bioshock 1 about the failure of objectivism?

• Jambe

Yep, and about the perils of runaway individualism and laissez-faire economics generally (in reality the “best” systems tend to be a balance between collectivism/freedom and individualism/regulation). ImSpartacus’ comment is hilariously ironic and indicative of an extremely superficial playthrough of the game (you’d have to completely ignore the story to miss the point).

Criminy.

• Meadows

Bioshock 2 was poor, that’s how.

• flip-mode

Then I really love poor and that’s my prerogative.

• lilbuddhaman

I’m Ron Paul, and I support this post. Truth.

• indeego

Bioshock 1 also fell apart halfway through. It wasn’t a bad game, however, it just poorly executed.

• burntham77

I am with you. The Bioshock games are the titles I use as examples of why I am a video gamer. Truly brilliant titles.

• cegras

What are your thoughts about BS2? I thought the individual mini stories were executed with the same sublime brilliance, but the overall plot weaker.

• kamikaziechameleon

the lack of a decent Wow moment in the story that breaks the 4th wall made it dramatically less impactfull narratively speaking. I mean bioshock one calls into question the basic premise of game design with its story! Granted every moment afterwards is kinda wonky and almost wastes the narrative relevance of that revelation. Seriously if you are gonna make a reference to the scripted nature of a game in a story then why continue to script it in a similar fashion after that point it rebuilds the 4th wall out of concrete destroying the experience. 🙁 The game should have become free roam afterwards if they wanted to keep the game going towards a second conclusion.

• flip-mode

Eh, honestly it has been a while since I played and I remember almost nothing specific about the game. For me it was enough that it was essentially a continuation of the BS1. Sure, the story was not nearly as compelling as BS1, but I think that’s it’s only major comparative weakness. Other than that, same fun game play, fantastic level design and environments, decently fun characters though not quite as fun as in the first. Well, I guess BS1 really was a bit better but BS2 was still pretty great.

I’m going to get flamed for this: I /hated/ Just Cause 2. Ugh that game is just awful, stupid, boring.

• Spotpuff

I enjoyed BS 1 more than BS2. It probably didn’t help that my GFWL refused to work and wouldn’t let me play the thing until 3 weeks after launch when I called GFWL support.

• tay

Lesson? Don’t buy GFWL. Haven’t purchased Bioshock and Bioshock2 (for 4.99) in the steam sale because of gfwl. Might warez it if i get bored.

BTW, I’ll be playing the best games of 2011 in 2012. Keeps it cheap.

• odizzido

Indeed. GFWL is a massive pain in the ass. I hate it so much that a game has to be pretty much free before I will spend money on it.

• BobbinThreadbare

The first doesn’t use GFWL, or it didn’t when I played it.

• sweatshopking

Meadows is right. it’s because 2 sucked. I have it, but never got past the first hour, though i’ve tried 3 or 4 times. just wasn’t as good as 1. If 1 hadn’t come out, it would have been better received. I found that it was just a cash grab though.

• Deanjo

I could see that if FPS games are your thing. However they would not make my top 20 list as I got bored with fps games after Clive Barker’s Undying came out. Since then it’s been “been there, done that”. I would take a good single player RPG or RTS or simulator over any shooter since then. It’s too bad that good simulations are a rare commodity nowdays since we now have the capability to make them drop dead gorgeous and could actually make items like tri monitor setups useful for gaming purposes. The last real good flight combat sim featuring modern aircraft is still Falcon 4.

• dashbarron

“Stay awhile and listen.”

Wow, tons of stuff coming. For me it’s Diablo III and then eventually Heart of the Swarm. And Max Payne 3. GTA V. New Tomb Raider. Mechwarrior Online. Wow, there is quite a bit I’m interested in.

• tfp

Yea doesn’t seem to be all FPS, I see a good 4 or 5 games that might be good. Maybe TR can get some different games in the benchmarks because of that.