Steam hits five million concurrent players

Rumors of the PC’s demise as a gaming platform have, once again, been greatly exaggerated. According to PC Gamer, Valve’s Steam service hit a new milestone earlier this week: a whopping five million concurrent players.

The Steam stats page has since been updated with a lower figure, but it still tells us which games are captivating players. In the last 48 hours, the most-played title was Skyrim with a peak of almost 100,000 concurrent players. It was followed by Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike (the original), Terraria, and Counter-Strike: Source.

Based on these numbers, I assume the five-million peak was due to a combination of the long weekend and Skyrim’s potently addictive nature. As PC World points out, the recent Steam Holiday Sale no doubt played a role, as well. (Thanks to Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the link.)

• -_-

Crazy!, #10 on the Steam Stats Page is a game that hasn’t even been released yet. Dota 2

• h4x0rpenguin

Oh trust me there’s nothing weird about that. DotA (the custom map for WC3:TFT) is at least as popular as Counter Strike here in South/South East Asia. I myself had sunken in over 100 hours (possibly 200, I dont remember) into Heroes of Newerth (a DotA remake) before it was released. If not for the simple fact that I dont have much time to sink into games at the moment, I’d be playing the DOTA 2 beta like mad.

• Bensam123

PC gaming’s dead gais!

• lukecarlson

Steam supports ps3 users also i believe. Was the 5 million concurrent players exclusively PC?

I love PC and console gaming, PC gaming absolutely still alive, but consoles numbers can make it look like its not. i just reentered PC gaming, and will probably be this way until next gen consoles can be had for 100$ on Craigslist, like my last xbox I gamed on for a couple years. She RROD last month lol

The high I’ve seen COD mw2/black-ops/mw3 go to on PC was about 30000 online users, Xbox live averages half a million. Average on PC is about 15000. Also there are other games that do well exclusively on PC, cod series isn’t as fair cause it’s so advertised on console, but the numbers are such an epic difference i say still valid. I’ve been able to use mw2 matchmaking when there was 1500 people online and that’s still plenty to play games so PC or console is fine.

These numbers are based off the in-game players online counter

• DeadOfKnight

It’s only for one game which isn’t the most active though; you know how many games are on steam? I’d bet there were actually more steam users playing in offline mode as well, so that would also make up for it. I know I was playing skyrim in offline mode.

• BobbinThreadbare

Does anyone have numbers for xbox live or PSN to compare this too?

• kamikaziechameleon

So few, lol I remember being online in black opps and it being 150,000 people 😛 for xbox.

• yogibbear

On release week, on a weeknight. When what the xbox has only a few hundred games you can play?

• TaBoVilla

I got the GTA pack for 7.50€, been playing vice city since, gotta love steam

• flip-mode

But, but, PC gaming is dead though.

I picked up Xbox Dead Space for my brother. Graphics look great considering that it is a console. Controls suck. Keyboard and mouse for the win. And that’s even with the horrible mouse response in Dead Space.

• burntham77

Dead Space on the PC had laggy controls, but they fixed that in the second game. Both of them are excellent titles, especially for the death sequences. Scary.

• flip-mode

Yep, and I’m just saying even with laggy controls it felt better to play with keyboard and mouse than with the Xbox controller.

Hint: It’s not concurrent players, despite what the headline says.

• tejas84

Lets keep proving them wrong fellow PC gamers and TR readers!!!

• BestJinjo

“Omg but I thought PC gaming was dead as that is what all the douchebag analysts keep saying….”

Probably the most misunderstood phrase to keep popping up on PC websites over and over and over…..

Prominent analysts never said “PC gaming” was dead. They instead mention that the largest growth in gaming in the next 5-10 years will come from social and mobile/smartphone/tablet gaming platforms, not from traditional desktop PCs.

That’s not the same as stating that “PC gaming is dead”. PC is no longer defined as just a traditional desktop/laptop. Depending on the definition, a PC can be a “personal computing device”. PC gaming then can be split into traditional (desktop & notebook) vs. mobile gaming (smartphones/tablets). You can split those categories into 2 main categories: (1) hardcore and (2) casual/social gamers. If you clump traditional and mobile “PC gaming” in aggregate, the market is growing (and that’s consistent with what the analysts are saying). However, most of the “PC gaming” growth will come in smartphone and tablet categories in the next 5 years. Notebook PC gaming will also continue to gain in popularity in the next 5 years vs. desktops. It’s actually desktop PC gaming that’s expected to decline as a fraction of the other 3 (notebook, smartphone and tablet categories). In other words, desktop PCs will have the least growth among the 4 main categories, and as result will have a shrinking market share in proportion to the entire PC gaming market.

If you look at that list, out of the top 5, 4 games are Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike (the original), Terraria, and Counter-Strike: Source. None of those games require a powerful desktop PC with a $300 graphics cards. All of those games can be easily played on a laptop nowdays.

So really, the only thing that’s declining in popularity are traditional desktop PCs as users migrate to mobile devices (laptops, smartphones and tablets), are more mindful of power consumption and prefer the added flexibility of being able to work and play anywhere. We should see more and more gamers buy laptops with enthusiasts level discrete GPUs as the world becomes more mobile and more and more people migrate away from a desktop PC. Soon enough, there will be more $ to be made for AMD and NV in the notebook discrete GPU market than the desktop one. Ironic, since hardly any of the traditional hardware review websites actually care to publich gaming laptop roundups.

No one says “PC gaming” will go the way of Betamax or HD-DVD (i.e., actually becoming dead).

• Walkintarget

Wow, TF2 still @ #2 ?? That game has some seeeerious legs. Released in October of 2007, it still has a very loyal following.

• bcronce

I miss the old TF Quake days, before they even had custom models. I don’t miss 200ms pings on my 14.4 though.

• yogibbear

Add all the counter-strike no’s together and it’s probably more than TF2 and Skyrim combined.

• Glix

Most likely mutli box users busy farming for item drops.

• bthylafh

How about Counter-Strike 1.6? That’s got to be the oldest of them all, and with the old original Half-Life engine from ’98.

• stupido

TF2 forevAAaa!
      😀

• ludi

It runs well on very pedestrian hardware and the cartoonish art doesn’t leave you longing for more eye candy, while the madcap, Pythonesque comedy of the gameplay is downright addictive. The other night I saw a demoman running around with, instead of the usual sword upgrade, a [i<]golf club[/i<], and just about fell off my chair laughing. It was a little thing but it tickled me just right at the time. Also, bow and arrow upgrades for the sniper class? Pure win.

• Krogoth

I was a formidable heavy weapons guy, but I took an arrow to the knee……

• Bensam123

Yes sir… I wonder if it has something to do with all the items they keep adding for FREE. They have a payment model too, but you don’t need to do it. The basic weapons still work perfectly fine.

It’s not just items, they do occasionally add new maps and new sounds which really keeps the game alive. I’m sorta disappointed with the game though as the engineer really needs new mechanic loving. Not just adding new trinkets or weapons, but new buildings or ways to keep buildings alive. Right now one demo man can make everything an engineer painstakingly takes to build in about two minutes blow up in around 1-2 seconds.

Balancing issues aren’t unheard of in the game though. They sitll haven’t done anything with the demos sticky launcher. ><

• yogibbear

I was one of the ones playing Terraria!

• bthylafh

<AOL>Me too.</AOL>

Got it for $2.50 and it’s been surprisingly fun so far. I just could not get into Minecraft, but this is different.

+1 for reminding me of “It’s All About the Pentiums” by Weird Al.

• bthylafh

It’s an old Usenet-ism.

• dashbarron

Ditto. $2.50 well spent.

• xtalentx

How does it compare to Minecraft? I have been eyeballing it for a while.

• yogibbear

Not really like minecraft at all. (I’ve spent something like 100 hrs playing minecraft) Asides from the digging bit. And you craft stuff. Every other similarity ends there.

Plays more like a 2D super metroid than a 2D minecraft.

I can’t help but notice that on the Steam stats page it says “Concurrent Steam Users”. How many of those are people like me that just leave the service running all the time? I mean, it says there are 3.3M people online right now, when it’s the middle of the day in Europe and early morning in the Americas.

• tfp

Sure that means 3.3M people are logged into steam right now. Steam auto logs people in on probably most install so if you have Steam, a PC, and the internet chance are you are one of those 3.3M people.

Ya, so that means there weren’t 5 million players as the headline of this post states; there are just 5 million people logged in.

That stats page is kind of neat in that it will show you the top 100 games. Number 50-ish through the end all have less than 1000 people. The top 100 doesn’t even add up to 500,000 people logged into a game at present, even with (now) 3.9M “players”.

My point in all of this is, how is this relevant? How does the data even support Cyril’s thesis at the start of the post?

• xtalentx

You are trying to prove an invalid point. If you are logged on to steam – you are a “player”.

So yes, 5,000,0000 concurrent players were online at the same time.

• tfp

It’s not relevant to pretty much anything and to me at least the data doesn’t support Cyril’s thesis.

Really what I expect happened was people where on vacation because of the holidays and on their computers so they were logged into steam. Because more people were on computers doing worthless things like facebook, steam stats where higher woohoo…

• drfish

I sunk a ton of time into Anno 2070 – got my Steam rating to almost 10 in the first time in a very long time. It was a good weekend for gaming – got some Civ5 in and finally finished Dead Island as well. Then we played Cyclades for the first time, quite possibly my favorite board game to date (thanks to RPS for that recommendation).

• yogibbear

Have you tried Dixit or Powergrid?

• entropy13

Why isn’t Football Manager 2012 mentioned?!?!? This is preposterous! LOL

• Jigar

Vrock are you reading this ?