Asus adds two pieces of Flare to Eee PC lineup

Just a few short years ago, the Consumer Electronics Show was flooded with netbooks. Tablets and ultrabooks seem poised to steal the ultraportable limelight this year, which is perhaps why Asus is announcing a handful of new netbooks before the show begins. Enter the Eee PC Flare, a 10.1″ system based on Intel’s new Cedar Trail Atom CPUs.

ย

Asus is rolling out two versions of the Flare: a 1025C model equipped with an Atom N2600 running at 1.6GHz, and a 1025CE flavor with a faster N2800 CPU clocked at 1.8GHz. The 1025CE has a single USB 3.0 port, while the 1025C must make do with USB 2.0 connectivity. Otherwise, both systems stick pretty closely to the netbook formula. In addition to a gig of RAM, they come with 320GB of mechanical storage, 802.11n Wi-Fi, Windows 7 Starter, and a maximum display resolution of 1024×600. Sigh.

As expected, these new netbooks are pretty cheap. The 1025C is set to cost $299 when it debuts in February alongside the CE, which will set you back another $20. If you’re in the market for a budget ultraportable, though, you’d do well to check out the 12″ Eee PC 1225B. This system popped up on Asus’ website late last year, and it’s also due to arrive in Februaryโ€”but at $399.

$100 buys you more of, well, everything. The 12″ panel offers a 1366×768 display resolution with 71% more pixels than a 1024×600 screen. Under the hood is AMD’s E-450 APU, whose integrated Radeon should run circles around the Atom’s built-in GPU. The 1225B also serves up a pair of USB 3.0 ports, Bluetooth, the Home Premium version of Windows 7, and 2GB of RAM. In exchange for those extras, you’ll have to lug around a slightly larger system that weighs 3.1 lbs. The 1225B’s battery life is limited to six hours, as well.

At least that’s better than the Eee PC X101CH, which will run for a mere four hours before you’re left searching for a wall socket. This Cedar Trail 10-incher is similar to the Flare 1025C but trades battery capacity for a thinner chassis that weighs just 2.3 lbs. The X101CH will cost $269 when it arrives with the other Eee PCs next month. Sometimes less is less, I suppose.

• odizzido

That 10 inch one seems pretty crap….and it’s expensive? wut?

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Although the new Eee PCs offer fewer pixels than most tablets, they should have competitive battery life. Asus says the Flare 1025CE manages just over 9.5 hours of run time, while the 1025C pushes past 10 hours. Both systems are supposed to be able to survive two weeks of standby time on a single charge.[/quote<] [quote<]Under the hood is AMD's E-450 APU... ... you'll have to lug around a slightly larger system that weighs 3.1 lbs. The 1225B's battery life is limited to six hours, as well.[/quote<] So, are we done spreading FUD about how Brazos is more power efficient than Atom...?

• Yeats

Can’t determine based on the info Geoff has given us. The E-450 configuration is too different than the Atom config. Provisionally, FUD not found.

• Kollaps

Really? Yes, they are different and there’s not a lot of information yet, but don’t know what part would be included that would alter Asus’ claimed battery life numbers by over 3 and a half hours. That’s a lot of run time and the only parts that I imagine could cause such a dent are the CPU, GPU and (I don’t think nearly as much) the screen.

In fact, I can’t recall any Brazos laptop that had impressive battery life. I remember reading the reviews of the first HP and Lenovo units (dm1z and X120e) using Brazos being just as unimpressive.

• Yeats

Yes, “Really”. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don’t have a newfangled laptop or netbook, but on my trusty old Dell Vostro 1500, 15.4″ 1440×900 screen, C2D T7250 & 8600m GT, the battery life is extended by an hour (at least) just by turning the screen brightness down from “brightest” to a couple notches above “dimmest”. Maybe this is less of an issue with LED-backlit screens?

I’m fairly confident that if you took 2 nearly identical netbooks, one outfitted with an Atom N2800 and the other with an E-450, the Cedar Trail unit would last longer on battery. How long, I don’t know.. an hour? Besides differences in the screen sizes, it looks like the 1225B is using a more feature-laden motherboard, so that will also likely increase power usage. There’s bluetooth, more RAM, Windows 7 Home, which means Aero Glass is enabled vs Win7 Starter, which doesn’t support it.

But for general purpose usage, including light gaming, apps that take advantage of GPGPU, etc. there are circumstances where the N2800 simply lacks the ability to compete with the E-450. There is no “power efficiency” when the equipment can’t get the job done satisfactorily, or even not at all.

• Kollaps

Your example tells us absolutely zero about differences between panels, especially on very low quality and small panels. I would venture to say there’s much more difference in power draw between the same panel at it’s polar brightness setting versus two panels (one 10″, the other 12″) at the same brightness. The lighting required for each panel is likely relatively similar.

I’m even more doubtful of difference like Bluetooth and Aero Glass on or off. Additional RAM could make a difference, but I’d guess both these systems are using a single stick by default.

3 1/2 hours is a lot of time, while I don’t think all of it is due to the difference in Atom vs E-450 alone, I’d say the vast majority of it is.

• Yeats

[quote<]3 1/2 hours is a lot of time, while I don't think all of it is due to the difference in Atom vs E-450 alone, I'd say the vast majority of it is.[/quote<] Again, what's the standard here? A usage scenario to measure battery life could be created to favor either processor. But the blunt, inescapable fact is that the E-450 is more capable than the N2800. So while the E-450 is a legitimate alternative to the N2800, the N2800 is not a legitimate alternative to the E-450. If you don't need the GPU power, go for Cedar Trail if that's what you prefer. Aero Glass uses GPU, which increases power consumption. So does Bluetooth. Fairly small power drains of course, but they can't be arbitrarily dismissed just because you want them to be.

• Kollaps

We have the battery life measurement, 9.5 hours for the Cedar Trail system and 6 for the Brazos. Those are the numbers provided by Asus, I would assume they have standardized their testing. Regardless of how it was tested, we can be (relatively) safe in assuming they were tested in the same way.

This is all irregardless of what you or I would deem the better system for our needs. This doesn’t matter at all because we’re not actually going to decide which product is the better buy. Just why there is such a discrepancy between the two published results for battery life.

I’m not arbitrarily dismissing Aero Glass or Bluetooth, I’m using intelligence and fact. Unless there’s some driver issue then Aero Glass shouldn’t require the GPU to kick up in performance. Bluetooth is even more ridiculous, it simply doesn’t require any noticeable amount of power to provide.

I have zero interest in either system. I’m more curious about why people will let themselves believe that Bluetooth is playing a major role in these battery life numbers.

• MadManOriginal

Something is logically wrong when you say N2800 is not a legitimate alternative to E-450 but then in the next sentence you specifically say when N2800 is a legitimate choice.

• Hattig

Surely even these latest Atoms should be directly compared to 9W CC60 Brazos, not E-350/E-450 which are far more performant? Maybe the E-300 if you need a bit more performance on the AMD side.

• A_Pickle

I believe Brazos offers superior performance-per-watt than Cedar Trail, but in the end, it consumes more power overall. It also performs better overall. Still, the idea that it’s the CPU/GPU combination that’s causing a 3.5 hour discrepancy in battery life is [i<]ridiculous[/i<], especially when it's a pretty well-known fact that the screen is the single most power-hungry component in a mobile system. The Eee PC 1225B has a screen that's 2" larger diagonally, and has more pixels to push as well. Additionally, it offers Bluetooth connectivity, which is undoubtedly factored into ASUS's battery life estimates, which are themselves not likely to be accurately reflective of general real-world usage.

• DancinJack

You’re smarter than that NeelyCam…

• NeelyCam

I don’t know – that light troll seemed to be pretty effective..

• Goty

Hi there, NeelyCam. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• NeelyCam

Oh, right, I remember our last debate on this. ๐Ÿ™‚

EDIT: .. I’m too sick (flu) to continue this time, though. I’m hoping I’ll feel better when more Medfield benchies come out – that should yield some fun debates.

• Goty

Hah, me too. I’ve been in bed all day. Maybe next time.

• BoBzeBuilder

Oh look it’s NeelyCam the -1 magnet.

• MadManOriginal

Hey, even I -1’d him because the two laptops are entirely different, not because his premise is necessarily wrong. The different display size alone makes using a 12″ versus a 10″ netbook as a proxy for battery life silly.

That said, the 1225B is an intriguing budget “ultraportable” especially if the street price ends up lower. A comparison between it and an HP dm1z would be nice to see. Then again, Ivy Bridge “ultrabooks” are supposed to come out at a not insanely higher price…

• NeelyCam

When IB ultrabooks come out at $600, Brazos-based netbooks will have to drop to $300.

• MadManOriginal

Maybe so, but if one considers absolute price rather than relative price IB ultrabooks could still be a big shakeup in the ultraportable segment.

• Hattig

There will be IB Ultrabooks at $600? How will that be achieved given the current price of Ultrabooks? Are we talking about IB single-core Celerons?

• NeelyCam

I think it was based on expected price drops in the rest of the components (SSD, battery, casing) because of mass production. Who knows – maybe Intel will spare a few points on their margin as well.

• Hattig

C’mon, 12″ screen with 71% more pixels – that’s definitely going to affect power draw.

1024×600 – are they using 1995 resolutions just so that Cedar Trail can do better at gaming benchmarks?

1225B though, that looks pretty decent.

• prb123

“Now, it’s up to you whether or not you want to just do the bare
    minimum. Well, like Brian, for example, has 37 pieces of flair. And a
    terrific smile.”

• Duck

We use English because it’s easy to learn and universal, we talk about prices in USD even though it may not be your local currency… it’s time to stop posting imperial measurements please. Use millimetres and kilograms.

• DancinJack

I’d venture a guess that the majority of views on this website come from US residents. While I agree with you, a lot of people don’t translate kg>lb very well.

• rechicero

You can use both systems, something similar to “3.1 lbs (1.41 kg)”. Doesn’t seem too difficult, does it?

• A_Pickle

I’m American, and while I’m familiar with the imperial system, anyone with half a brain realizes that the metric system is far superior. I’d prefer it if my country weren’t a lone holdout in this regard — so if you want to use kg, that’s fine.

• axeman

I’m Canadian, realize this, and still find it so much easier to visualize imperial measurements.

• Duck

Ever seen a 1KG bag of sugar? A litre of water would also weigh exactly 1KG. Easy, see? A bottle of wine is usually 750ml (0.75 litres). Even 1 metre is a little over 1 yard so should be easy to visualize. Instead of saying your weight as 200 (pounds), you can say 90 (KGs). A car is typically around 1000KG to 1200KG for reference.

• trackerben

I will agree metric is the way to go for plug diameters. A measurement of 3.5mm is harder to screw up written or printed than 1/8in.

• Duck

Yeah but it would bug me a little that lbs still comes first with KG in the brackets. Imperial is needlessly difficult to work with. I want everyone to just use metric.

It’s got absolutely nothing to do with nationality, patriotism, what I am used to, or anything along those lines.

Same goes for the date format. I’m used to dd-mm-yyyy but we should all be using yyyy-mm-dd. It just saves confusion and irritation.

• NarwhaleAu

Must… not… feed… troll…

• NeelyCam

It’s just a cookie; you can spare one

• Duck

What the heck? How is that a troll post???

because metric is for dumb people who can’t do operations outside powers of 10 and think that 1/1000000 of the distance from the north pole to the equator through paris, france should be the standard of linear measurements.

• Duck

I lol’d ๐Ÿ˜€

• Hattig

Yeah, but Imperial is totally non standard. 14 lbs in a stone, 16 ounces in a pound, etc.

I mean, I’m all for base 12 or base 60 measurements which totally make sense because of divisibility, but not Imperial!

What Imperial does get right is the human factor. The numbers aren’t that big. 6 foot is better than 180cm – although you could say you were 18dm tall, or 1 and 4/5 m tall – but nobody does. “One metre Eight” would work, but it’s not as nice as “6ft 2”.

what’s stopping you from using kilopounds and centifeet?

• Hattig

Don’t give me nightmares of metric and imperial coming together and making a baby.

• bthylafh

English? Easy to learn?

O.o

• Hattig

Note that what Americans call the “English” system of measurement is actually not the same as the “Imperial” system still used to some extent in Britain (although metric is used mostly except for distance and milk/beer).

• BobbinThreadbare

I actually like the Brit’s compromise, although I don’t care for Celsius for measure temperature. I like the big swings you get with Fahrenheit.

• Forge

You can’t even decide if it’s “millimeters” or “millimetres”. Declined.

• yogibbear

Wait a sec… $400…. E-450… that’d serve well as a mock-together HTPC… might be noisy though. 1225B here I come.

• Sargent Duck

I have an E-350 that I use as my main desktop rig. Surfs the net just fine, plays UT classic (graphic settings maxed) like a pro and no problem watching high def content (from my hard drive). Takes a bit of time to load games though.

• NeelyCam

[quote<]Takes a bit of time to load games though[/quote<] Clearly it sucks. Get an Intel CPU so you could enjoy your games the way they were meant to be enjoyed.

• raddude9

perhaps getting an SSD would be better for improving game load times, rather than getting a faster CPU with lousy graphics

• DeadOfKnight

[quote<]The 12" panel offers a 1366x768 display resolution with 71% more pixels than a 1024x600 screen.[/quote<] That gave me a chuckle.

• yogibbear

Looks waaaaay sexier than my Wind U100…..

• jackbomb

The Ford Pinto is sexier than my wind.