Razer’s ‘Project Fiona’ brings PC gaming to a tablet format

CES — The folks at Razer were grabbing attention again at this year’s CES with an intriguing mock-up, displayed under plexiglass, of a tablet gaming PC dubbed "Project Fiona."

Razer likens this concept to the funky gaming netbook it demoed at last year’s CES, which eventually spawed the Blade high-end gaming laptop. There was quite a bit of difference between the concept and the final product in that case, and Razer says the final, production form of any product based on Project Fiona will be shaped by the feedback it receives about this mock-up.

Fiona has a number of interesting features, including beefy dual grips on either side of the tablet with equipped analog joysticks and multiple buttons. The tablet can accept touch input via its screen, and it has a gyroscope and accelerometer to enable motion control, as well. The system can communicate with the user via a force-feedback mechanism, in addition to its relatively high-density 1080p display.

Inside of the case is an Intel Core i7 processor based on Ivy Bridge, so Fiona is a full-fledged Windows PC, capable of running PC games. Whether the final product has Win7 or Win8 onboard will, Razer says, depend on the timing of its release. Razer is aiming for a list price of under $1000 and hopes to release a Fiona-inspired product some time later this year.

• DPete27

Look out Play Station Vita!

• willyolio

a $1000 gaming PC with non-configurable controls, non-configurable components, and a custom branded interface already exists. it’s called a console and it costs about $250.

• albundy

that doesn’t really look light enough to hold for an extended period of time. the $1k pricetag is a killer though.

• Deanjo

A guy is going to have Popeye forearms to play that thing any extended period of time.

• HisDivineOrder

You should work for Razer marketing:

“Using advanced new science, only Razer’s incredible teams of engineers could design a gaming tablet that allowed you the freedom of PC gaming anywhere you’re at while also helping you build and tone muscle mass throughout several muscle groups in your body. We like to think outside the box. This muscle improvement system is a little something we like to call, Razer Strain and Stress Technology (TM pending).

“Why relax when you’re gaming when you can Strain and Stress yourself instead? Only Razer tablets can provide this incredible new technology that helps your body while you’re in the middle of a game of Duke Nukem Forever and, let’s face it, when you’re done, you’ll be glad you can say you did something worthwhile while you were playing Duke Nukem Forever.”

• Deanjo

Of course the infomercial would have to have Jesse “the Body” Ventura hosting it.

• Bensam123

Razer, I admire your tenacity for trying to do things extremely niche and ‘cool’, but please, please, for the love of god work on the longevity of your devices first. I love your peripherals, but I’m extremely torn as they seem to start going on the fritz from 3 months to 1 year after I buy them. I don’t think Logitech has what I want, but I want things to last.

I think the pair of control pods on a frame that can be clipped/suckered to any tablet is great.

I wouldn’t buy a whole tablet from Razer though, given their horribly-skinned drivers and (in my own personal experience) sub-par quality control on everything they manufacture. Razer software seems to me like the USA version of those garish, ‘chinglish’ motherboard/audio driver control panels that used to ship with second-rate hardware. It’s non-standard, it doesn’t conform properly to windows skins/themes/scaling/DPI adjustment, and whilst usablity is okay, it’s far from obvious until you’ve worked out how they’re doing things.

• spigzone

Nice to see Hydra (modified) being expanded into different form factors. As a Hydra owner, the more the better!

Hydra now supports 250 games and Steam is on board with Hydra … be pretty sweet to be able to play my steam catalog on a portable deivce like this.

Though not at $1000. But in another year or two this should be in the $499 range, which is doable.

• d0g_p00p

I have heard very good things about this thing. A gaming co-worker of mine just came back from CES and was able to demo it. He said it felt very good in the hand and was running a version of GoW where the mouse input was mapped to the internal gyroscope and accelerometer. He also noted that the screen size was not a issue since you pretty much have this thing close to your face.

Again he came away very impressed.

• lilbuddhaman

Dear Razor,
    I like the controller, needs some slight modifications, but I like it. Please make a dock for ANY tablet that fits this. I would suggest an aluminum center support with a sliding bracket (and/or custom support fittings, think custom heatsinks and their attachments) so one SKU could work for both 10″ and 7″ tablets, as well as a method for it to collapse into a compact size better suited for traveling when not hooked up to the tablet. Make the controllers on a tilt/lock so they could also flip downward and double as a stand for the tablet. You could possibly add an auxiliary battery (inside the controllers?). Minimize the amount of proprietary software required to use it, but DO write something that will allow me to use the controls on legacy apps as well as ones made specifically for controllers like this. Write the software to be friendly with Xperia Play supported software.
    Don’t bother trying to sell your own tablet + controller as the market is already divided into a dozen different setups and custom OS’s and whatnot.
    If you can do all this and keep it under $100, you will create a means for tablets to actually be gaming devices.

Thanks,

(insert witty name to quell derFunkenstein’s completely off the wall comment)

what, Adi gets too much flack for signing his posts that you can’t sign your letter?

• kamikaziechameleon

I while its cool that it will let you take pc gaming on the road its also kinda defeats the point of pc gaming to use joysticks. I’m kinda amused by this, if I was daddy warbucks I’d get it, but currently its not worth anything to me as I don’t have that kinda money to throw at a novelty.

• mcnabney

Not just joysticks – thumbsticks. All control is in two thumbs. As a person with poor thumb dexterity I HATE consoles (and haven’t owned one since Atari 2600). This thing is useless.

• WhatMeWorry

Isn’t this more like an automotive car concept? [url<]http://www.toxel.com/inspiration/2008/08/18/creative-concept-car-designs/[/url<] More whims of fantasy than a real product. Fun to look at nonetheless. I always ask myself: how would these perform in snow and ice. The cars that is - not Fiona.

• ModernPrimitive

This isn’t what Shrek had in mind….

• ImSpartacus

Razer is trying to innovate and all you guys want to do is belittle them? Do you think they would rather prefer to descend into obscurity?

Products like this one are neat. Would I ever buy one? Nope, but I’ll talk about it on a website like this one. And at this point, that’s really all Razer wants.

• Xenolith

I like this idea, but only for casual games. I also see the controller being sold separately from the tablet.

• dpaus

[quote<]I like this idea, but only for casual games[/quote<] But who's going to buy a $1,000 gadget solely for casual games?? I mean, if it doesn't have an Apple logo on it?

• entropy13

[quote<]But who's going to buy a $1,000 gadget solely for casual games?? I mean, if it doesn't have an Apple logo on it?[/quote<] Obviously there are still an unenlightened portion of the population, which is obviously the target of this heretical organization called "Razer." This is just one more foolish attempt by infidels in trying to prevent the human race of achieving their destiny with the Holy Apple, if we're talking about casual gaming.

• entropy13

Thumb down the comment all you want! This just goes to show how the majority of users here are yet to be enlightened.

All you have to do is embrace the teachings of the Blessed Company and bask in the light of the Holy Apple. Disavow your heretical beliefs, and you will be saved by the iProducts.

• entropy13

Don’t shoot the messenger/interpreter! LOL

I’m just typing what I have gleaned from the “manuscripts” and “sermons” of the Sheeple. lol

• Jambe

I upvoted you because I thought it was cute (humorous).

But seriously, don’t worry so much about the thumbs y’get. I’m narcissistic myself, so I sympathize, but you’re taking it a bit far…

• entropy13

Nah, I’m not really that worried about the thumbs down, but more of how others would interpret the content of the thumbed down comments. Like, I don’t know, I’m an actual Sheeple or Apple fanatic.

• Jambe

… and my point remains the same.

🙂

• bitcat70

Quote: “Silence! I keel you!”

Achmed the Dead Terrorist

• OneArmedScissor

This is a technology enthusiast site. People are supposed to get mad any time it looks like something is going to change in the future. They do their research. They know better. They know their computers will still be in huge tower cases with 40 separate parts sold by hundreds of currently failing vendors in the year 2020. They know that phones will never be as powerful as PCs – even if they have the same guts! They know that Windows 8 will flop, because who cares about touch screens? You can’t possibly know better than that!

• Jambe

Truths were spoken. A tech-sage is OneArmedScissor.

This thinger is neat but I’m so attached to my KBM that I don’t think I would use it for anything other than platformers or arcadey racing games, and I don’t think that warrants its probable price.

I would seriously consider buying it, however, if 1) it could play games acceptably and 2) I could hook it up to a KBM/monitor/audio setup.

So if the hardware’s up to snuff and it has a USB port and A/V out….

eeeeeeeee

• Bensam123

Somethings are cool only in concept. When they make it to actual use you realize how useless they really are.

• TakinYourPoints

The problem is that the ideas sound cool but they result in poor products. I saw the Switchblade at CES last year and instantly knew it was trash. The buttons are tiny tiny tiny and the display was far too small to play any PC games properly on. Any PC game’s UI would be far too small for it. It is too big too be truly portable like an iPhone or iPod Touch while being too small for gaming like you would a proper 12″+ laptop.

Bad product in the end, and this tablet looks like more of the same.

• HisDivineOrder

Mindless innovation that is not built around making devices that have real purposes beyond being showy and expensive is not something I particularly find impressive.

I would prefer it if Razer used their expertise, manufacturing, and advertising capabilities to produce real, genuine tablet devices that offer something spectacular and great. This thing is barely a tablet and barely a PC and barely a gaming device.

Its limitations are many and its market is incredibly small. Why get this if you can just get an ultrathin or ultrabook for possibly less and have a better gaming experience? It can’t even claim it’s more portable with those monkeywrenched controllers on either side…

That netbook they showed last year was better than this.

• Phishy714

I can’t see this thing selling very much at all. At $1000, why the hell would you want to buy this!? You sure as hell are not going to carry one around with you everywhere cause of the design. Its not something that you can fit into your pocket or purse. Also, why would you carry this AND a tablet? especially when the tablet can do SOO much more.

Keep it at home then? For $1000 you can get yourself a badass system that will out perform this tenfold.

I think this is a terrible idea.

• geekl33tgamer

“tablet can do SOO much more” – I personally think that becasue this runs a full desktop OS and X86 CPU, this can actually do so much more than other tablets.

You won’t be limited to the apps that are made available for Android or iOS, and have full control over all the software and wide support there is for windows programs – There is windows software for pretty much everything I can think of that you get on the other platforms.

Only downsides I can see are price, battery life (i7 “tablet”. What were they smoking?) and disk space availability. Solve those and they might just have something i’ll buy…

• TakinYourPoints

Except that desktop applications aren’t made for touch interfaces, they’re made for mouse/trackpad and keyboard input. The advantage of iOS or Android is that applications are expressly made 100% for touch input and UI. I don’t see the point of using Windows apps on a tablet when the apps are cumbersome to actually use compared to something on the iPad.

• OneArmedScissor

[quote<]Also, why would you carry this AND a tablet? especially when the tablet can do SOO much more.[/quote<] What is this I don't even

• Phishy714

Well I imagine that people who travel alot probably carry with them a laptop or a tablet to be more portable. I just don’t get why someone would WANT to carry this thing around if you have either the tablet or the laptop, ESPECIALLY if you can’t remove the handles. This thing will not be in the least bit “portable” if you can’t remove those handles.

• entropy13

oops wrong sorry

• Bensam123

And a laptop can do soooo much more then a tablet while in the same price field.

• entropy13

Only if it’s a Macbook and the tablet isn’t an iPad.

All Hail the Holy Apple!

• Phishy714

No room for Apple sheep here.

Go mindlessly follow your FotM device.

• Ushio01

Switchblade – nothing
    Blade – delayed again
    Project Fiona ?

Razer really likes it’s concepts, now if they had something to show for ti.

• Kollaps

Not sure how hot I am on Trinity, but it does seem like the 17W variant would be an ideal match for this concept.

• Arag0n

Agree, a balance between battery life, size and performance is the most important thing of this device, and I guess that Trinity GPU would be more suited than an intel one, and there is not enough power budget for a discrete GPU

• dpaus

Yeah, I’m thinking that there’s a limited market for this device, and most members of it are strongly religious towards either AMD graphics or Nvidia graphics, but [i<]none[/i<] of them are religious about using Intel graphics for gaming (except for using it as an example of eternal damnation to the sulphurous pit of hell).

• Kollaps

Another thought. If Razer allowed for the handles to be removed a keyboard dock attachment would help me buy in to this concept. Doesn’t seem like that would require an increase in cost with the base unit by much and would greatly expand the devices capabilities. Do it in a similar fashion to the Asus Transformer dock and allow the unit to become a small laptop. Throw a battery inside the dock, expand connectivity and you have a very interesting system.