Firmware update fixes Crucial m4 BSOD bug

Crucial has released a firmware update to address the BSOD bug that cropped up with its m4 SSDs two weeks ago. Here’s the relevant snippet from the change log:

Correct a condition where an incorrect response to a SMART counter will cause the m4 drive to become unresponsive after 5184 hours of Power-on time. The drive will recover after a power cycle, however, this failure will repeat once per hour after reaching this point. The condition will allow the end user to successfully update firmware, and poses no risk to user or system data stored on the drive.

If you’ve been running an m4 and haven’t experienced any problems, the 0309 firmware update is still "STRONGLY RECOMMENDED" by Crucial (their caps, not mine). There’s little doubt that this particular bug will strike m4 drives running older firmware. At least there appears to be no risk of data loss associated with the bug.

The folks in the Crucial forums seem to be having no problems applying the update. Quick benchmarks run by a few posters suggest that the 0309 update has little effect on performance, too. Crucial does, however, note that those with m4 SSDs attached to SAS expanders should wait for a separate update designed for that sort of configuration.

• ColeLT1

Updated 4 128GB, and 1 64GB with only one small hiccup; even though the instructions did not say (this time) to turn it to IDE/Legacy mode, we still had to, the drives were not found under AHCI or RAID mode.

• glynor

I updated mine last night. Went fine.

I was pleasantly surprised to see that:

1) They don’t require you to disable AHCI/RAID mode in the BIOS before you update. A bunch of other hard drive firmware tools do, and that’s always annoying.

2) They even included support for updating on a Macbook, which is cool.

• dashbarron

I like the looks of these Crucial drives. If the 512GB was just a wee bit cheaper I’d definitely buy one.

• etilena

anyone know how to put this on without an optical drive? i bought the m4 probably 4 or 5 months ago and upgraded my rig. didn’t buy an optical drive and the old one was IDE.

• willmore

See the post by stdRaichu.

• etilena

just tried unetbootin again. strangely didn’t work previously. probably because i didn’t format the drive when i used it back then.

• JohnC

Kind of an old news, update was released last Friday… Anyway, I updated my 512GB M4, no issues before or after update and update went extremely smooth. Kind of annoying that I had to burn the CD with the .iso file instead of using something like windows-based flash tool, but oh well…

• stdRaichu

Annoying that they don’t provide a USB installer (or support a userspace tool), but you can get the ISO to boot from USB with a tool like unetbootin: [url<]http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/[/url<] Updated my 512GB and 64GB without any issues.

• Malphas

You’re a little late on this one aren’t you? I can confirm it works on my M4, updated mine on release.

• 5150

Just installing my first Samsung 256GB 830 right now, we’ll see how it goes. Right now I don’t see any reason to buy anything else. Great track record, performance, and price.

• Malphas

How utterly irrelevant, 5150.

• 5150

Apparently so.

• indeego

[url<]http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads/solid-state-drives/MZ-7PC512N[/url<] Yikes.