Google said to have HUD glasses in the works

And now, from the wacky, eyebrow-raising rumor department: Google is secretly developing HUD glasses, according to a story by 9to5Google. The site says it caught wind of the project back in December, but it has unearthed new details since then.

Those new details were apparently provided by a "tipster" who got to see the prototype first hand. He claims the prototype "looks something like the Oakley Thumps," meaning a thick frame and possibly earbuds that swing down from the temples. The prototype features a system-on-a-chip, memory, and storage similar to what’s found in "generation-old" Android phones. I assume a battery is in the mix, too.

Aside from the lens display (which is purportedly for a single eye only), 9to5Google says features of the Google glasses include a built-in camera, a flash, voice calling capabilities, and a control system that translates head movements into input. No, I’m not making this up. The site explains, "We are told it is very quick to learn and once the user is adept at navigation, it becomes second nature and almost indistinguishable to outside users." (The key word here is "almost.")

Even if engineers are working on HUD spectacles deep inside Google’s secret underground labs, I somehow doubt we’ll see them commercialized. I wear prescription glasses, and I didn’t opt for titanium frames on a whim—heavy frames are uncomfortable to wear, plain and simple. Carrying part of a smartphone on my face is not an appealing prospect. Neither is jiggling my head in public to scroll down my contacts list.

• kamikaziechameleon

Why not have it read your mind like that one pc controller out there.

• FuturePastNow

I like the idea, but would be best- still- to separate out the processing bits and the battery into a roughly phone-size brick that sits in your pocket or purse and stays there, and connects wirelessly to the headset.

• helix

OMG!! Wireless power source!!i! (Sorry, couldn’t resist.)

• Krogoth

Here comes p0rn-0-vision!

• yogibbear

coming up on SICK SAD WORLD!

• Deathright

Master Chief helmet please!

• Noigel

Call me when the monocles go into production.

• albundy

brings a whole new meaning to googly eyed! way to go, bottles!

• Sahrin

The solution to the weight issue may be a kind of near-field communications like Wireless USB and/or wireless power systems. You’ll still carry your phone as the ‘base station’ for the glasses, but there’ll be no need to take it out to interact with it – and soon all forms of ID and the like are going digital anyways, meaning your phone will replace your wallet for the most part.

The tiny LCD on an eyeglass lens can’t consume very much power at all. That would cut the weight down to the weight of the LCD plus displayhardware (hopefully miniaturized and integrated onto a SoC) that makes the entire affair about as heavy as a ‘normal’ pair of glasses (obviously I’m just BotE’ing here).

• lycium

YES PLEASE I’LL TAKE TWO

[edit] oh, maybe not so interested: “The heads up display (HUD) is only for one eye and on the side. It is not transparent nor does it have dual 3D configurations, as previously speculated.

• JohnC

…soo Google is just copying a Zeal Optics and/or Recon Instruments products (HUD module + video camera module for Skiing Goggles)? Only this time, with built-in location-based Ads constantly displaying on your HUD?

Edit: I’m talking about stuff like this:
    [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9u1mUlK8qg[/url<] Glasses with HUD module. [url<]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnW7keABZdw[/url<] Glasses with 1080p camera. Usable stuff for Skiing (and similar types of sports) and Military, not very useful for anything else.

• ALiLPinkMonster

I can see this being adopted by the military to make smart HUDS for soldiers… although I’m not sure a company like Google would allow their tech to be used in warfare.

• indeego

Somehow this makes far more sense than carrying around blocks of plastic in our hands constantly, despite the weight/comfort issues.

• just brew it!

The display tech to do a lightweight wearable HUD has existed for a few years now, but has been too costly for anything but military applications. The version I’m familiar with isn’t *quite* small or light enough to cram into eyeglass frames, but it is definitely getting there…

[b<]Edit[/b<]: I just read the rest of the linked article. So this thing is *not* transparent like a traditional HUD... more like it is off to the side in your peripheral vision or something.

• cheapFreeAgent

it will say “God bless you” if it detects a sneeze-gesture

• ew

Google Goggles

• tone21705

metal gear solid

• Kollaps

Tech companies try crazy prototypes? I had no idea.

• A_Pickle

At long last, “four eyes” will have vengeance.

• fredsnotdead

finally going to be one of the cool kids.

• BobbinThreadbare

So Google going hard after the hipster market huh?

Don’t think these are my bag, but pretty cool that such a thing can even be made.

• dmjifn

Maybe they’ll wind up perfecting the OCZ NIA!