New Logitech mouse is touch-sensitive

Mice with touch-sensitive surfaces are growing slowly in number, with Apple’s Magic Mouse and Microsoft’s Arc Touch Mouse leading the assault. The latest new recruit hails from Logitech, and it looks more like some sort of sea creature than a mouse:

The Logitech Touch Mouse M600 is a wireless design priced at $69.99. It ships with special software that purportedly makes scrolling "fluid, much like scrolling on your favorite touchscreen smartphone." Users can swipe their fingers both vertically and horizontally across the device, and click areas can be re-assigned to accommodate southpaws. From what I can tell, though, that’s it as far as touch controls go—the official product page doesn’t mention multi-touch gestures or anything of the sort.

Provided the touch input works well, this could be a decent mouse for folks on the go. Logitech includes its little wireless USB receiver, which you can tuck away inside the battery compartment, and the company touts six months of battery life with two AA batteries. The mouse can run off just one battery, too, if weight is a concern.

• Kaevik

I would think that the pro to this mouse would be no moving parts, and no opening for dirt to get into it.

• Coyote_ar

mmm really? if id want something to be different on my mouse, it would be to have maybe an analog mouse button, able to sense how much pressure im doing while clicking, and having proper feedback.

but this thing is pointless, with the added con that it has no feedback at all …

• ronch

Ok, all the hype on paper doesn’t hurt, but the question is, is it actually easier to use, or does the fun only last five minutes?

• burntham77

When my work gave us all new iMacs with the Magic Mouse, I tried it for about one day. The touchpad was constantly getting in the way. So I turned it off. The mouse still works just fine, but I don’t think touch features belong on mice.

• kvndoom

Ughhhh, Logitech, would you mind PLEASE fixing the K350 lag issues, since you obviously have so much free time???

• HisDivineOrder

So long ergonomics. Hello, useless touch gimmicks!

• willyolio

the apple mighty mouse was one of the worst examples of when function is sacrificed for form and gimmicks trump basics.

emulating the mighty mouse is not the way to go.

• adisor19

While the forcing of lifting the left finger in order to register clicking with the right finger was a pita, the scrolling was very much perfection in my book.

Adi

Scrolling perfection? it was barely usable.

Your fingertips are the single most tactile interface with a PC. Why would you voluntarily replace the perfect feedback and accurate control of a mechanical switch for a scrolling system that is both without feedback and also vague?

What you’re basically claiming is that a scrollwheel is inferior to a touchpad. The only situation in which a touchpad is superior to a scrollwheel is for omni-directional scrolling, but then you’re using your finger to do an action that your hand is already better at. The only difference is that the “drag to pan” is not the default action for middle click in most software.

• Walkintarget

Reinventing the wheel here … I can’t see who would be interested in buying this. I agree with Bob – too many unwanted clicks just by resting your hand on it.

• adisor19

I guess you never used an Apple magic mouse. Nothing happens if you just lay your hand on it. It only registers a click if you press on it. (if this is indeed well implemented a la Apple)

Adi

• Plazmodeus

I just got an Apple Magic Mouse for my PC. I LOVE it. Its not for gaming, but vastly superior for productivity.

• egon

They’re endlessly reinventing the wheel, literally. There’s a frustrating lack of consistency and best-practice in Logitech’s wheel design – neverending story of improvements offset by retrograde steps.

• just brew it!

…and this is why I only buy their inexpensive (under $25) cordless mice. No gimmicks. The M305 is pretty much the pinnacle of non-gaming mouse evolution IMO: Just two buttons and a clicky scroll wheel with tilt switches (for side scrolling).

• burntham77

I have sworn by the cheap wireless Logitech mice for years after being constantly disappointed by higher priced products. They last a fair amount of time, they are very comfortable, and if they do crap out I don’t feel bad about dropping 20-30 dollars at Best Buy or Fry’s.

• just brew it!

I think I’ve only had two of them ever die on me. One was my fault (spilled something on it); the other one developed an annoying tendency to register double-clicks when I single-clicked.

They occasionally go on sale for about half off, so I just watch for the sales and keep a spare on hand.

• BobbinThreadbare

I really like having forward and back buttons.

I also have never found a wireless mouse that felt right too me.

So, it’s MX518 for life.

• Voldenuit

I had an old logitech mouse from 2004 that had a touch sensitive surface you could scroll with. I ended up ditching it because not having a MMB (for games, tabbed browsing and CAD) was ultimately more limiting than having a gimmicky scroll interface.

Let’s hope Logitech does better with the new Touch M600.

• Farting Bob

I cant see any reason why a buttonless touch senstive mouse is ever going to be better than a mouse with buttons and a wheel. I keep my fingers sitting on my mouse buttons when i use it. I cant help but feel with this it would constantly give unwanted clicks or scrolls. If you want customization on a mouse, buy one of the many very good ones that have plenty of extra buttons you can assign.

• Geistbar

All I can think of being gained by this is aesthetics. The mouse in the picture has a sleek look- it just happens to almost certainly be worse at being a mouse (kind of an important characteristic for mice) than one with buttons and a wheel.

• odizzido

the only possible reason I can think of for at least trying one is silence. If you are in the same room with sleeping people, that mouse is potentially pretty good.

• adisor19

Your concerns are legit. This thing needs a lot of attention before it ends up in customer’s hands.

Adi

• GTVic

Since you are somehow magically able to determine that the product doesn’t work and with adisor19’s verification that Logitech is now releasing untested products, now I am properly informed and can avoid an unwise purchase. Thank you sooooooo… much.