Release roundup: New cases and related accessories

This week in our look at miscellaneous product releases and announcements, we’ve got news from Antec, Cooler Master, Scythe, and Thermaltake:

• Antec announces the One Enclosure. Priced at $59.95, Antec’s new enclosure is a budget offering that doesn’t skimp on amenities. It has two USB 3.0 ports, top and rear 120-mm exhaust fans (with room for an extra four 120-mm spinners), a "perforated mesh" front panel, and a total of eight drive bays (three 5.25" and five 3.5"), all tool-less. As you’d expect, the power supply goes at the bottom, and there’s a cut-out in the motherboard tray behind the CPU socket area.
  • Cooler Master unveils Elite 361 rotatable chassis. No, the Elite 361 doesn’t rotate on its own, but Cooler Master has nevertheless designed it to work both horizontally and vertically. The rubber feet are "user attachable," the 5.25" bays are mounted horizontally, and you can rotate the Cooler Master logo. Other than that, the Elite 361 accommodates full-sized ATX motherboards, up to six 3.5" hard drives in a removable cage, and a 120-mm pre-mounted top fan. Not too shabby for $39.99.
  • Kaze rolls out Master Flat fan controller. Where most fan controllers have knobs, the Master Flat features buttons and a slick-looking digital display. It can control four fans and keep track of four different temperature sensors, with optional alarm thresholds for when things get too toasty. Scythe says this puppy will retail for €28 in Europe, so U.S. pricing will presumably end up around 30 bucks.
  • Thermaltake tender Toughpower and SMART Series with Further Prospect. Yes, that is the actual title of the press release Thermaltake sent us. The announcement is, happily, more straightforward than it sounds: Thermaltake has bolstered two of its power-supply lineups with new models. The Toughpower series now includes 550W, 650W, and 750W models, all featuring 80 Plus Gold certification. Meanwhile, there are now 750W and 850W Smart modular units—both with 80 Plus Bronze certification. Check out the company’s website for more details.

That Antec case looks pretty solid for the price. I’m not a huge fan of mesh front panels, though. They tend to get ugly when dust starts to collect in those little grooves.

• fredsnotdead

What’s the reason to put power supplies at the bottom of a tower case? I’d rather have it at the top, exhausting hot air, as the power supply components should be less sensitive to heat. I guess having it at the bottom makes the case less top-heavy, but that can’t be an issue for most people.

• safghtjrtj
    • UberGerbil

That looks like an excellent budget case. Low price, USB 3.0, nice understated aesthetics. It’s like a three hundred, but better.

• UberGerbil

While fan controllers have gotten a lot better than they used to be — more functional with less adolescent bling — I still would like to see one that includes a card reader (and maybe a USB port or two) in the faceplate. They certainly could cram it in there, and these days with smaller cases and fewer external drive bays, it would be useful.

• entropy13

Deepcool have exactly what you’re asking for.

[url<]http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/ROCKMASTER/[/url<] Quite weird though that there aren't any Deepcool products sold in Newegg... EDIT: Well, looks like there are AeroCool and Scythe fan controllers that have what you are looking for as well.

• LoneWolf15

The Scythe fan controller looks nice, but I’d want to know more about the quality of the hardware handling the voltage control.

I went with a Lamptron for a reason –I’d never outgrow the wattage rating. Plus, I actually like the combination of knobs with the LCD.

[url<]http://lamptron.com/products/view/Fan_Controller_FC5V2[/url<] I do like Scythe fans though. They're tops on my list.

• entropy13

The new Toughpower Gold PSUs are made by FSP, so they are most likely identical to FSP’s Aurum PSUs. The new SMART PSUs are by CWT, most likely identical to the Corsair TX M Series.

• ModernPrimitive

Ahhh…. fan controllers, how I used to lust after thee in the old days. If I were to ever build a big powerful machine again I would be happy with a decent BIOS auto fan control because I’m lazy. That and 30 bucks will buy me a couple of bags of gourmet coffee to accompany my reading of Tech Report’s reports on fan controllers….and other stuff.

• UltimateImperative

The problem is that many motherboards only support PWM fan control. So if you already have non-PWM fans, you’re SOL.